Global Pandemic Part II: Sequel Escalation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have any of you heard this idea of issuing permits/IDs for people deemed to have immunity, and then allowing that subgroup back into public? Interesting idea health-wise, but it also seems like that would be discrimination based on health status, which is a protected class if I'm not mistaken.

Not so dissimilar from what the Chinese are doing in Wuhan. They forced everyone to download an app which assigns to them a risk colour (red, orange, yellow, green I think). And different colours have different privileges. The terrifying thing there is that if you go shopping one day and the next day a person is diagnosed with COVID-19 who happened to be in the same shop as you the previous day, your own status is immediately downgraded from green to yellow, for example. This has resulted in people electing to largely stay at home because everyone is paranoid about losing their status.

mikal - great news! Hope you're totally out of it in a couple of days. I absolutely understand the anxiety bit - I get migraines which are controlled with meds, but every so often one breaks through. I had a really bad one a couple of weeks ago and I was convinced it was the virus causing the headache and nausea even though there was a much more obvious explanation.

Welp. Approaching the final days of my quarantine and no symptoms for either me or my son. His mom is recovered too after having a couple hospital scares, so my anxiety is getting better and better. The most amusing part is that last Saturday I pulled a muscle in my chest/shoulder area from working out, and forgot about it. 2 days later it started to hurt more and I immediately thought I had it. I don't suffer from anxiety but it's been a real trying couple of weeks wondering if every cough or sniffle was the start of something.
Bad pectoral strains are brutal for that. About a decade ago my father was hospitalized for a bad one because it was presenting as a minor heart attack. Glad to hear things are looking up for you.

Welp. Approaching the final days of my quarantine and no symptoms for either me or my son. His mom is recovered too after having a couple hospital scares, so my anxiety is getting better and better. The most amusing part is that last Saturday I pulled a muscle in my chest/shoulder area from working out, and forgot about it. 2 days later it started to hurt more and I immediately thought I had it. I don't suffer from anxiety but it's been a real trying couple of weeks wondering if every cough or sniffle was the start of something.
That shit happened to me last March in the before times.

I thought I was having a heart attack, but being the dipshit I am didn't do anything about it or say anything to anyone. After a week I knew it couldn't be that. Which is good, cause, ya know, I'd probably be dead if it was and I just ignored it.

On Thursday, Donald Trump reportedly told governors that states with “beautifully low” numbers of coronavirus cases should “open and get back to work.”

Also on Thursday, the White House released its “blueprint” for how it thinks states can start ditching shelter-in-place orders as early as May 1. (Axios reports that Republican-led states like Alabama and Mississippi could quickly move to reopen their states.)

Also on Thursday, Dr. Phil went on Fox News to say, among other things, that “360,000 [people die] a year from swimming pools, but we don’t shut the country down for that, but yet we’re doing it for this.” (360,000 people a year do not, in fact, die “from swimming pools”; in other news, Dr. Phil has no medical credentials. ) Dr. Phil magnanimously allowed that people are dying from coronavirus, saying, “I get that.” Thanks.

Also on Thursday, Las Vegas Mayor Carolyn Goodman groused that her city is shut down, saying in an interview, “We don’t want to lose anybody, but it’s part of life. And so I want people back to work.”

Also on Thursday, 4,591 people in America died from the coronavirus, an increase of more than 2,000 from the day before.

You would think that that last fact would have some impact on all of the people I just mentioned. But instead, it seems that the ever-increasing number of COVID-19 deaths in this country brings with it a parallel escalation in the calls for the death taps to be turned on even more forcefully.

It’s the Goodman quote that sticks out to me the most. “We don’t want to lose anybody, but it’s part of life. And so I want people back to work.”

There it is, beautifully summed up. Work over life. Work over everything. People dying at astronomical rates when they could have been saved is just how the world is. Unnecessary mass death is regrettable but ultimately unimportant. People not working, though?! Heresy, hell, evil.

So what is going on here? It is certainly true that the re-opening crowd is eager to throw millions of workers into the slaughterhouse because they prioritize the sating of the hungry capitalist beast over anything else. But there is more to it than that.

We are living in a period when governments everywhere are actually having to take some level of responsibility for their citizens. We have tumbled into a time where a staggering amount of solidarity is required of everyone—where we all must put the greater good over our own happiness or comfort. Our political leaders, all of a sudden, must account for what they are doing to protect people. All of this is happening in very imperfect, incomplete, corrupt, dispiriting ways—and, in America, with virtually no intellectual or policy support from our ostensibly left-leaning political party—but it is happening in some form nonetheless.

These are dangerous concepts to have lying around. Governments caring for people? Health over work? Everyone looking out for each other? Heaven forbid. The death cultists want to extinguish whatever spark our current moment might ignite in the world. They want to go back to the way things were—to our beloved system of grinding inequality, government apathy, and merciless individualism—as quickly as possible. Otherwise, people might really start getting ideas.

https://discourse.blog/2020/04/17/the-capitalist-machine-is-hungry-and-terrified/

Glad to hear you guys are doing better :up: :). Hope your shoulder heals up, too.

Seems like inciting violence to me...

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

LIBERATE MINNESOTA!
11:21 AM · Apr 17, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

LIBERATE MICHIGAN!
11:22 AM · Apr 17, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

LIBERATE VIRGINIA, and save your great 2nd Amendment. It is under siege!
11:25 AM · Apr 17, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

Glad to hear things are mostly progressing well.

Any time I have a related symptom these days I assume I'm dying of COVID-19. Yesterday I was feeling hot and tired and figured it was lights out. Turns out it was just hot in my apartment and I haven't been sleeping enough.

Is it possible for a state to close its borders to travelers from other states? I wonder if eventually you will see a governor try that. I'm kind of hoping Pritzker does try it here in Illinois.

Is it possible for a state to close its borders to travelers from other states? I wonder if eventually you will see a governor try that. I'm kind of hoping Pritzker does try it here in Illinois.

nope, the supreme court ruled that americans have a constitutional right to move between states:

The U.S. Supreme Court also dealt with the right to travel in the case of Saenz v. Roe, 526 U.S. 489 (1999). In that case, Justice John Paul Stevens, writing for the majority, held that the United States Constitution protected three separate aspects of the right to travel among the states:

(1) the right to enter one state and leave another (an inherent right with historical support from the Articles of Confederation),

(2) the right to be treated as a welcome visitor rather than a hostile stranger (protected by the "Privileges and Immunities" clause in Article IV, § 2), and

(3) (for those who become permanent residents of a state) the right to be treated equally to native-born citizens (this is protected by the 14th Amendment's Privileges or Immunities Clause; citing the majority opinion in the Slaughter-House Cases, Justice Stevens said, "the Privileges or Immunities Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment . . . has always been common ground that this Clause protects the third component of the right to travel.").

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_movement_under_United_States_law

I am loathe to agree with anything Trump says, but he is correct about potential lives being lost due to suicide, drug addiction, and more from this situation. I'm not saying that should be used as a justification to open things up again swiftly and haphazardly without proper protocols and precautions, just to make that clear.

But it is easy for people who are well off financially to say that things should be closed for a longer time. And it is easier for people who can work from home. But for others, no. And the stress is extreme.

As someone who already lived with mental health issues before all of this, I know what it's like. This situation has just made mine worse. And I am on medication and in therapy. I'm always open about that as my part of the effort to remove the stigma. These are health issues just like other health issues. And I hope that more people will be more empathetic and understanding now.

I agree- We are just starting to end the sigma against Mental health. I am very worried about those suffering from mental issues. Especially our Veteran population. We lose 22 a day to suicide. I fear this will hit them harder than most as they are not used to being basically locked down and helpless. Look I suffer from chronic PTSD, anxiety and depression. To be honest this isn't easy. Luckily I am salaried and well off enough to work form home, we are financially secure for now. But in general I keep myself secluded in my basement away from my wife and kids and just hang in my office or work out. My PTSD triggers around my perceived fear not to able to protect my wife and kids and those who depend on me due to losing soldiers in combat. So if my civilian company furloughed me, and I couldn't support them I would likely freak the f---- out. That's also why I seclude myself during the day. Hearing all the COVID crap on the news and knowing what I know; when I see my family and realize I cannot protect them it freaks me the F--- out. Sorry to rant

Glad to hear you and your family are doing well Mikal.

Also, Florida sucks

I’m getting the suspicion the opening of america again isn’t going to be a success.

nope, the supreme court ruled that americans have a constitutional right to move between states:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_movement_under_United_States_law

Shame, here in Australia the Premiers have one by one shut borders to non residents. Our curve is flattening as testing is ramping up. Still in L3 lockdown for at least another month and restrictions likely to last in one form or another for the rest of the year. International travel is off the cards this year too.

Economy is fuuuucked but that's the trade off for keeping the death toll under 70 so far.

Shame, here in Australia the Premiers have one by one shut borders to non residents. Our curve is flattening as testing is ramping up. Still in L3 lockdown for at least another month and restrictions likely to last in one form or another for the rest of the year. International travel is off the cards this year too.

Economy is fuuuucked but that's the trade off for keeping the death toll under 70 so far.

My main concern is if the Libs choose to resort to austerity after a return of some sort of normalcy.

More antibody testing results in California:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/17/health/santa-clara-coronavirus-infections-study/index.html

Far more people may have been infected with Covid-19 than have been confirmed by health officials in Santa Clara County, California, according to a study released Friday in preprint.

The study used an antibody blood test to estimate how many people had been infected with Covid-19 in the past. Other tests, like those performed with nasal swabs or saliva, test for the virus' genetic material, which does not persist long after recovery, as antibodies do.

"We found that there are many, many unidentified cases of people having Covid infection that were never identified with it with a virus test," said Dr. Jay Bhattacharya, a professor of medicine at Stanford University and*one of the paper's authors. "It's consistent with findings from around the world that this disease, this epidemic is further along than we thought."

The study estimated that 2.49% to 4.16% of people in Santa Clara Country had been infected with Covid-19 by April 1. This represents between 48,000 and 81,000 people, which is 50 to 85 times what county officials recorded by that date: 956 confirmed cases."

No big surprises here, we've been seeing results like these all over the place. Same caveat as always: study still in pre-print, it's not the broadest sample in the world, etc. But you get the picture. This virus has really gotten around and the IFR is waaaaaay lower than the CFR. That's a given. The only question is by how much.

Last edited:
Time for a break from your daily Covid-19 anxiety.

listen to the following 2 Youtube clips with your eyes closed:

Do we know who CC DeVille's real father is?

Great to hear you, and your son almost there, mikal!
Oh, yeah, I can imagine the sheer anxiety in general during your quarantine, and the extra anxiety of suddenly having increased pain in that area. Good luck with a full shoulder healing! (I had ripped rotator cuff bmuscles 20+ yes ago)

I am loathe to agree with anything Trump says, but he is correct about potential lives being lost due to suicide, drug addiction, and more from this situation. I'm not saying that should be used as a justification to open things up again swiftly and haphazardly without proper protocols and precautions, just to make that clear.

But it is easy for people who are well off financially to say that things should be closed for a longer time. And it is easier for people who can work from home. But for others, no. And the stress is extreme.

As someone who already lived with mental health issues before all of this, I know what it's like. This situation has just made mine worse. And I am on medication and in therapy. I'm always open about that as my part of the effort to remove the stigma. These are health issues just like other health issues. And I hope that more people will be more empathetic and understanding now.

To you, hais, max, LN7 (did I miss anyone?) who've experienced physical symptoms of anxiety (esp the chest area) whether under these covid19 days, or as an ongoing condition I hear you.
MrsS I think I'm around 30+ yrs older to you so mental health issues were waaay more stigmatized when my dad had his first depression in the 70's Which I'm quite careful about revealing it to new people. It wasn't till the mid-90's when a 'perfect storm' of events happened I ended up with serious anxiety, PTSD, and major depression. I've discussed it at times waaay back in a different part of I-land, but not anywhere else. So here I am here, now: meds, therapy, too.
At least the serious chest tightening hasn't happened in a major way in decades, occasionally mild-moderate - I usually go to deep breathing, self-talk. Gotten shakes,
rare serious tingling from fingertips to elbows both arms, weakness, hyper vigelence, moderate to very strong brain fog. Good for you MrsS on stigma busting.

Last edited:
Req
Seems like inciting violence to me...

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

LIBERATE MINNESOTA!
11:21 AM · Apr 17, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

LIBERATE MICHIGAN!
11:22 AM · Apr 17, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

LIBERATE VIRGINIA, and save your great 2nd Amendment. It is under siege!
11:25 AM · Apr 17, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

this. This. THIS! :gah: :crack:

This is so wrong!!! Irresponsible. Scary. Dangerous! Fucking Bastard!

With many of his people - it is an incitement/invitation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom