Global Pandemic Part II: Sequel Escalation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Office space is stupid.

giphy.gif

Less office space... less meetings in general... more ability to telecommute? Sure, I'm all in favor of a lot of that sticking around. But there is something that is missing in with the lack of human interaction - from the simple and obvious like the expansion of your social circle, to the more subtle things like the dynamic between the people you manage and those who manage you.

Ther have been some very awkward and sometimes stressful moments with both over this past month - some of which could have been easily cleared up with a drop in, or wouldn't have even been an issue if the discussion was had in person vs slack or a 12 person zoom.

So while there are parts of working from home that I like? I really miss the office.

And, uh, yea... crowds are kind of key to my long term ability to stay employed.

While I am personally able to work from home, I work for a small business that is a sole proprietorship, and our entire business model is predicated on in-person meetings that are no longer able to occur. If this goes on for more than a few months, I'm basically guaranteed to be out a job when my company folds.

Less office space... less meetings in general... more ability to telecommute? Sure, I'm all in favor of a lot of that sticking around. But there is something that is missing in with the lack of human interaction - from the simple and obvious like the expansion of your social circle, to the more subtle things like the dynamic between the people you manage and those who manage you.

Ther have been some very awkward and sometimes stressful moments with both over this past month - some of which could have been easily cleared up with a drop in, or wouldn't have even been an issue if the discussion was had in person vs slack or a 12 person zoom.

So while there are parts of working from home that I like? I really miss the office.

And, uh, yea... crowds are kind of key to my long term ability to stay employed.

It’s not for everyone. Some companies need to be in face to face interaction. Especially if you’re a mascot ??*♂️

Put consider what I’m saying. I wasn’t suggesting that we all need to work from home. I was suggesting that face to face interaction is the only relevant portion of office space. In fact, that’s why we should be adapting shared space systems like WeWork. Conference space is important. Small group space is important.

Individual offices are dirt fucking stupid in like 50% of companies. I don’t need an office. I don’t need three computers. I don’t need to drive to work. It would make sense if me and my colleagues met up in the WeWork office once or twice a week. For reference, we don’t even meet up at work!!! It’s all dial-in on Skype already, and we are in the same building!! How absurd is that? Dozens of millions of dollars of land and buildings, we have no space for new hires, we are trying to expand, stuffing people in offices giving them two to three computers each... only to be fully digital at work. dumb. Totally dumb.

Very sad. On Easter Sunday I saw a CNN report about a church in Kansas that held multiple Easter services. Inside the church.

Virginia pastor who defiantly held church service dies of coronavirus
By Lee Brown

April 13, 2020

He practiced what he preached — then he died of coronavirus.

An evangelical pastor died of COVID-19 just weeks after proudly showing off how packed his Virginia church was — and vowing to keep preaching “unless I’m in jail or the hospital.”

In his last known in-person service on March 22, Bishop Gerald O. Glenn got his congregation at Richmond’s New Deliverance Evangelistic Church to stand to prove how many were there despite warnings against gatherings of more than 10 people.

“I firmly believe that God is larger than this dreaded virus. You can quote me on that,” he said, repeating it a second time to claps, saying that “people are healed” in his church.

Happily announcing he was being “controversial” by being “in violation” of safety protocols — with “way more than 10 people” at the church — he vowed to keep his church open “unless I’m in jail or the hospital.”

“I am essential,” he said of remaining open, adding, “I’m a preacher — I talk to God!”

On Sunday, his church announced “with an exceedingly sorrowful and heavy heart” that the pastor had died a week after being diagnosed with COVID-19.

His wife, Marcietia Glenn, is also sick with the bug, with church members offering their prayers.

Their daughter, Mar-Gerie Crawley, told WTVR that her father initially dismissed his symptoms because he has a condition that often leads to fevers and infections.

She is now urging everyone to stay home.

“It becomes very real to you,” she told WTVR after her parents’ diagnoses.

“I just beg people to understand the severity and the seriousness of this, because people are saying it’s not just about us, it’s about everyone around us.

It’s not for everyone. Some companies need to be in face to face interaction. Especially if you’re a mascot [emoji1744]*[emoji3603]

Put consider what I’m saying. I wasn’t suggesting that we all need to work from home. I was suggesting that face to face interaction is the only relevant portion of office space. In fact, that’s why we should be adapting shared space systems like WeWork. Conference space is important. Small group space is important.

Individual offices are dirt fucking stupid in like 50% of companies. I don’t need an office. I don’t need three computers. I don’t need to drive to work. It would make sense if me and my colleagues met up in the WeWork office once or twice a week. For reference, we don’t even meet up at work!!! It’s all dial-in on Skype already, and we are in the same building!! How absurd is that? Dozens of millions of dollars of land and buildings, we have no space for new hires, we are trying to expand, stuffing people in offices giving them two to three computers each... only to be fully digital at work. dumb. Totally dumb.
Sure, that seems crazy stupid.

There's no doubt that we could eliminate a lot of office space even straight where it makes sense. In your situation it seems to make perfect sense. Even in my company... there is zero reason why finance, legal, the foundation, and I'd say half of HR need to take up such large swaths of real estate.

Just a laugh for today. Molson Coors delivered 10 cases to her house

coors.jpg

PEOPLE.COM
By Jason Duaine Hahn
April 13, 2020 03:06 PM

While many people may be struggling to keep themselves entertained during the coronavirus outbreak, one Pennsylvania senior seems to be doing just fine in isolation — as long as she has enough beer, that is.

On Thursday, 93-year-old Olive Veronesi went viral on social media when she was photographed standing by a window holding a sign with a hilarious request. In the picture, Veronesi is seen smiling from ear to ear while holding a Coors Light can in one hand, and a dry-erase board that read “I Need More Beer!!” in the other.

“Olive Veronesi from Seminole, PA is doing her part to stay home and stay safe,” Pittsburgh CBS affiliate KDKA wrote in the caption of the photograph posted to their Facebook page. “She’s sending this message to her neighbors and to her daughter.”

The photograph — which was taken by a relative — has garnered more than 49,000 shares and 26,000 reactions on the social media platform, and commenters from around the world were smitten with Veronesi’s irresistible smile.

“I don’t know if you will see this beautiful woman but [you] are perfect! Your smile, your eyes and the presence [you] have is superior!” commenter Becky Hemze said. “Thank you so very much for the huge smile you are bringing me and the beautiful feeling you give me inside!!! You are a superior woman.”

“Olive, I love you to bits all the way from England,” wrote Martin Goodwin, along with a picture of a beer bottle he deemed “proper.

Some commenters even said they were trying to send beer her way.

Another photo posted later by KDKA showed Veronesi standing outside her porch while holding two can of Coors Light — and, once again, she was beaming with delight.

“It’s nice, something for a young lady,” Veronesi told the station.

Anyone here get their check direct deposited yet?

Had a single friend get theirs yesterday. I haven't seen one yet (married) Not sure that makes a difference.

Not getting one because I'm an elite.

Why can't my dog count as a dependent?

My general distrust for the government means I always have them mail my refund check rather than give them my bank info, so I'll be waiting a while, but I don't need the check anyway.
The PPP loan we've applied for as we're paying our workers to stay home on the other hand we'll need soon or that decision could bankrupt us.

The states have all authority not specifically given to the federal government- therefore this is a decision of the governors not the President. Trump calling the Governors mutinous is a; I can’t even come up with the words

For the record, I think Magnus consistently displays being an independent conservative, and not in the humorous sense. Don’t always agree, but I continue to appreciate the consistency at the very least.

With that being said, I’ve always dabbled between a nice balance of states and federal powers. Putting aside the legality for now, short of something counter to US foreign policy, I’m not sure why you would ever want executive authority to be able to override a state. Note that this is executively, not judicially.

Anyone here get their check direct deposited yet?

Had a single friend get theirs yesterday. I haven't seen one yet (married) Not sure that makes a difference.

Heck, I haven’t even gotten my tax return yet. Filed over a month ago online for direct deposit.

I'm not sure whether mine will direct deposit or not. I filed my taxes a few weeks ago and requested direct deposit, but had not done so in any previous years. I did get my tax return last week.

Heck, I haven’t even gotten my tax return yet. Filed over a month ago online for direct deposit.

I haven't either. You can check the status on IRS.gov Mine finally said refund approved yesterday, and it's supposed to be sent to my bank by April 15th.

I read that they will have an online method for tracking the status of stimulus checks and direct deposits.

https://twitter.com/natashabertrand/status/1250107485731655680?s=21

We have nothing in place for a plan. It’s why coastal states are banding together (tho i don’t know how the west coast team can pull it off with NV and AZ not being part of it)

Unless something really changes in the next few weeks, and not a change towards the negative, i think we’re mid June to look at a national ease of lockdowns

Hard to fathom that we have a President engaged in such childish behavior every day during a pandemic and collapse of the economy. The captain? Is he Captain Crunch?

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

Tell the Democrat Governors that “Mutiny On The Bounty” was one of my all time favorite movies. A good old fashioned mutiny every now and then is an exciting and invigorating thing to watch, especially when the mutineers need so much from the Captain. Too easy!

10:57 AM · Apr 14, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

Cuomo’s been calling daily, even hourly, begging for everything, most of which should have been the state’s responsibility, such as new hospitals, beds, ventilators, etc. I got it all done for him, and everyone else, and now he seems to want Independence! That won’t happen!

10:07 AM · Apr 14, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom