global pandemic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah it's fine. The money should go to those who need it and right now we're incredibly fortunate not to need it.

One of the issues with doing things this way, though, is that things can change quickly. There are plenty of individuals who warned more than the cut off last year who are currently unemployed with no means of earning an income.

That's not us, but I have friends who are in that boat.

I’m cut off from collecting anything from the government if I understand it correctly. But student loans handcuff my ability to save any money, and I’m now the only employed person in my family (three siblings, my parents, four nephews). Only my brother will get funding from the government. The rest are on their own, and while I’m sure they’ll be okay in the short term, the long term is more questionable. I want to help, I would’ve given them my money if I got any.

I’m cut off from collecting anything from the government if I understand it correctly. But student loans handcuff my ability to save any money, and I’m now the only employed person in my family (three siblings, my parents, four nephews). Only my brother will get funding from the government. The rest are on their own, and while I’m sure they’ll be okay in the short term, the long term is more questionable. I want to help, I would’ve given them my money if I got any.
Yea and this is why it was probably best to just cut everyone a check, even though yes, a lot of money will go into the hands of people who don't need it.

Many of them would have reinvested it back into the local economy, and sure some would have simply pocketed it or bought a Peleton or some shit. But it'll ensure that nobody is left out over a W2 that may not reflect their current situation.

Yea and this is why it was probably best to just cut everyone a check, even though yes, a lot of money will go into the hands of people who don't need it.

Many of them would have reinvested it back into the local economy, and sure some would have simply pocketed it or bought a Peleton or some shit. But it'll ensure that nobody is left out over a W2 that may not reflect their current situation.

Agreed on writing everyone a check. It would’ve doubled up as a local economy stimulus for those didn’t need it, and a bailout for those who did.

I’m lucky though, my employer is offering me to work OT, so I can rack up some cash to support the fam that way.

I know to some people this seems silly. But athletes reach a young audience (as Dr. Fauci said) and a huge audience. If it can make a difference to any of their followers it's a great idea. I'm going to watch it later.

Stephen Curry and Anthony Fauci chatted on Instagram. Thousands watched, including Barack Obama.

With no NBA games happening in the near future, Stephen Curry filled his free time Thursday with a little citizen journalism. The three-time NBA champion interviewed Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, in front of an audience of about 50,000 viewers — including former president Barack Obama — who tuned in to hear the question-and-answer session on Instagram Live.

Like everyone else working from home these days, Curry initially had a few technical difficulties with the video chat. Then, he and Fauci shared a chuckle about the portable basketball hoop in Fauci’s office. Then, Curry slid into interview mode.

The pair covered basic questions about the novel coronavirus pandemic, plainly discussing everything from how COVID-19 is different from the flu to how experts are determining when large gatherings can resume.

After Fauci answered a question about how important it is for young people to practice social distancing even if they feel healthy, Curry explained why he wanted to speak with the 79-year-old expert, who is who is among those leading the Trump administration’s response to the pandemic. Fauci, in addition to his regular appearances at White House press briefings, has been making the rounds lately. Last week he appeared on “Pardon My Take,” a popular Barstool Sports podcast.

“That’s really one of the reasons that I wanted to have this Q&A, to hopefully reach a different demographic or people that are interested in the facts of what’s going on,” Curry said. “You see all the different visuals of people at the beach and parks, crazy public gatherings, and not really adhering to that social distancing concept.”

A good portion of the chat seemed aimed at convincing viewers to take social distancing and shelter-in-place measures seriously.

Curry asked Fauci about the risk of lifting such measures too early, even for the sake of allowing business to reopen.

“Well Steph, it is not an all-or-none process,” Fauci said. “I mean, when you’re locking down, the way [Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom] did in California and the way [Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo] is doing in New York City, that’s the extreme. That’s the heavy hammer on something. Even if you lessen those restrictions, everybody until this is over should practice some degree of physical distancing and care. No big crowds, wash your hands a lot, be careful. You can do that and still get back to somewhat of a normal life.”

Curry countered: “We’re not overreacting right?”

“You’re absolutely right,” Fauci said, “we need to make that point. This is serious business, we are not overreacting.”

Fauci ended the chat, which will be available on Curry’s Instagram page for repeat viewings, with a plea to the country.

“We modified our lives. It’s not convenient to lock yourself in, it’s not convenient to not do the kinds of things, it’s not convenient for you not to be playing basketball,” Fauci said. “But we’re going through a period of time now where we’ve got to, as a country, pull together. Don’t get frightened, don’t get intimidated, use the energy to be able to confront it and do the kinds of things that’ll put an end do it.

“I want to get rid of that misconception that there’s extremes, either the world is going to end or we don’t want to do anything. It isn’t that. It’s somewhere in the middle.”

How long until Trump fires him, calls him a horrible Dr, and tells everyone to go back to work?

Dr Brix has slowly turned to the Orange side.

I don’t see Dr fauci doing the same, so he’ll be phased out as this gets worse.

Alabama (or maybe it was Mississippi) governor states she will not order shelter in place, cause they’re not “California”. The state has a total of 1700 icu beds.

We are probably 10-15 days away from this overrunning the countries health system

Alabama (or maybe it was Mississippi) governor states she will not order shelter in place, cause they’re not “California”. The state has a total of 1700 icu beds.

We are probably 10-15 days away from this overrunning the countries health system

I feel the same way about her, I just can't take her seriously now. Fauci has become like RBG at this point. Pray for his survival-literally and for his job.

Well Trump has been exposed so much and he still doesn't have it. Maybe extreme narcissism creates immunity somehow. Or he's just specially chosen by God, yeah that's it.

The good die young and assholes live forever. :shrug:

Are they building any field hospitals in the states? A new one is going to go up in Manchester where I live, they have already started making extra morgues as well here.

Re: the stimulus. If the projections that significant social distancing has to last into or through the summer are true, a one-time $1200 check isn't going to mean much of anything. If you are going to legally block a huge chunk of the population from working, at some point rent and mortgage payments are going to have to be suspended, and ideally student loan and maybe credit card interest payments as well.

Are they building any field hospitals in the states? A new one is going to go up in Manchester where I live, they have already started making extra morgues as well here.

I believe they are in NYC because that makes the news as an epicenter. Don't know about other places. There are makeshift morgues outside hospitals, just so awful.

I'm glad my Governor uses his brain and said today that things won't be back to "normal", and people won't be back to work, on Easter.

On the CBC they reported Cuomo confirming that 4 new hospitals will be built in NY.

Mayor Garcetti is telling inessential LA businesses that he's going to turn the water and electricity off on them if they don't pack it up and go home.

Trump is now insisting that Cuomo is exaggerating how many ventilators New York needs. And he says they're very expensive.

There you go people who voted for Trump. I could say I hope none of you are in New York and God forbid need a ventilator. And thanks for screwing us all with this idiot.

Right now NYS has about 7400 ventilators. It's estimated that we'll need 30'000 projected by peak in about 3 weeks. So trying to stock up before since we have the most cases right now. :sad:

As for drumph - FU, lazy, greedy, cruel, delusional asshat, yet again.
:|:|:crack::|:|

I think it was Gov of Mississippi saying "We're not like China". Fucking TWIT!

I feel the same way about her, I just can't take her seriously now. Fauci has become like RBG at this point. Pray for his survival-literally and for his job.
I do. What a shambles of contrast between Dr Fauci and Trump!

I am glad people are pulling together. It is a devastating time but I hope we shall get through it and remember forever those we have lost.

It’s how you present your arguments and the all good vs all bad worldview, combined with a seeming lack of understanding of the transactional nature of politics that makes your arguments immature, not the ideas themselves. As well as letting yourself be misled by silly “gotcha” videos — remember when you thought you had burned Kamala Harris with the video of the guy with MS? Things like that.

Look at your last sentence.

You’re positing that’s the only reason why anyone doesn’t agree with you is because they’re beholden to corporate interests. This is why actual, productive conversation with you has become so disappointing. We aren’t disagreeing on principles; we are disagreeing on tactics and presentation. That’s what I’ve been trying to get you to understand ever since you called me a bad person for considering voting for Joe Biden. That has nothing to do with 2008.

We aren’t that far apart, really. There are plenty of people your age who hold your convictions who don’t present themsleves in nearly the same way.
I admit that I do come in here extremely angry when I read the various apologies for the Democratic Party, and it does lead me to speak less eloquently and more emotionally. But I also fundamentally reject the idea that emotion need to be left to the side. It all reverts back to the whole "Sanders is bad because he uses populism, and Trump does too!" concept that many in the center love to embrace. Bloodlessly toeing the line of both-sidesism and how important compromise is doesn't appeal to me any longer. I don't know how you watch what happened in the last 40 years as the Republican Party dragged the center to the right, and the Democratic Party let a larger and larger corporate wing in, and then revert to the same evaluation of how compromise and "adults in the room" are the goal. There are no adults in the room any longer.

I also disagree with the idea that we aren't disagreeing on principles. By "we," I mean myself and most Democrat politicians, but still. There are principles the Democratic Party consistently sells out to the Republicans. I fundamentally view the ACA as better than its predecessors, but very marginally. It's Republican healthcare. It views some people are deserving of being bankrupted by healthcare costs.

Mean-testing is a Demcoratic tenant, and means testing propels forward an idea that human rights are a moving target. Those aren't tactics. Those are principles.

You've distinguished yourself in the past few weeks, Mrs. S.

Gee thanks, I live for what you think of me. Wish I could say what I think of you. Whatever your problem is with me and why you enjoy harassing me, buzz off to put it far too politely. A million apologies for not behaving like a proper lady. Trump is a FUCKING JOKE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom