global pandemic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
this is really helpful to the task at hand, entirely relevant, and completely undermines everything Cuomo has said and done this week. it is fair and correct to blame a commission created in 2006 by Gov. Pataki looking to make budget cuts on Andrew Cuomo, who wasn't elected until 2010.

you've made us well aware: centrists are worse than conservatives.

meanwhile, back in the world of adults, there's some cautious good news:

Actually, you're right. Cuomo and centrists have never done anything wrong. Only adults understand the blessed nature of centrism.

How's centrism doing with the corporate bailout bill for Covid-19?

Prince Charles tested positive. If it helps people who don't take this virus seriously, then I'm all in favor of reporting high profile figures testing positive. I hope he recovers without complications.

Well said on all of this. Also sending well wishes to him.

I appreciate the news stories about the measures being beneficial in slowing the spread. Nice to have some hints of potential good news amidst all the craziness.

Actually, you're right. Cuomo and centrists have never done anything wrong. Only adults understand the blessed nature of centrism.

No one has ever claimed this — my world is not so manichean.

Adults realize the world is complicated and complex and filled with compromises. Adults use their time to get the things done that they can and make lives better, not give self-serving “now more than ever my core beliefs are right” speeches.

We are in a better place today than we were 36 hours ago. As a freelancer who is looking at potentially months of unemployment, I’m grateful I may actually be able to benefit from what could passed.

I’m afraid perfection will have to wait, but progress — you know, what progressives like, and what separates them from ideologues — is happening.

This really isn’t some sort of stimulus bill - the bulk of it is comprised of loans. Not exactly free money for the rich.

And the idea that shareholders are rich people is absurd - most of people hold stock through their pensions or 401K accounts or an employee stock purchase program of some sort. Relatively few people have lucrative stock portfolios.

The scale of the makeshift hospital in London is pretty mad.

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
·
2h
The LameStream Media is the dominant force in trying to get me to keep our Country closed as long as possible in the hope that it will be detrimental to my election success. The real people want to get back to work ASAP. We will be stronger than ever before!

I believe it Don

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
·
46m
I hear that Fake News CNN just reported that I am isolated in the White House, wondering out loud, “when will life return to normal?” Does anybody really believe that? There was no leak, they made it up – they are CORRUPT & FAKE NEWS....

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
·
2h
The LameStream Media is the dominant force in trying to get me to keep our Country closed as long as possible in the hope that it will be detrimental to my election success. The real people want to get back to work ASAP. We will be stronger than ever before!

If only there was a way for people who choose to be irresponsible and die at the altar of Trump to do so and for the rest of us to go on with life.

My worry is Florida. Lots of elderly in gated communities. And no one tells old white people what to do.

And, to add, I’ve had a handful of NYC friends test positive (can count on one hand) — they are all fine, not hospitalized (except one), and all described a curious lack of sense of smell for 4-5 days.

Best case scenario, of course, is that lots and lots of us have it and have mild-to-no symptoms, and we don’t spread it.

I have both lived in NYC and traveled abroad in the past month. I feel completely fine, take my temp every morning, but am still not leaving my house except to walk the dog and get groceries for 2 weeks.
I hope your friend in the hospital gets well, the others symptoms still mild and go away! Stay safe you & your partner!

oh! :ohmy: I heard about this lack of smell, um, late last week that was being reported out of Northern Italy!

Adults realize the world is complicated and complex and filled with compromises. Adults use their time to get the things done that they can and make lives better, not give self-serving “now more than ever my core beliefs are right” speeches.

We are in a better place today than we were 36 hours ago. As a freelancer who is looking at potentially months of unemployment, I’m grateful I may actually be able to benefit from what could passed.

I’m afraid perfection will have to wait, but progress — you know, what progressives like, and what separates them from ideologues — is happening.
Agreeing w you quite a lot.

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
·
2h

The ninth ring of Hell for you, Trump! :gah:

Is the lack of smell thing before falling ill or during

That's what I'm asking.
Is a person who's infected but in ? incubation stage (and shedding virus), not yet showing any symptoms that have been generally associated (on a scale of mild to severe) with it - do they have a loss of smell in the 4-5 days before the (known) symptoms appear.

Is the lack of smell thing before falling ill or during

The suggestion is that is when you are ill. That could be the only symptom you get but you could also progress to the more typically ill ones but it is as with everything atm still under study. They think it might be a useful indicator for determining if many people with mild or near enough no other symptoms have had the virus.

But again not everyone gets every symptom. Its the problem with the virus that it has a very wide range of presenting symptoms.

Fever and dry cough remain the top two.

Last edited:
If you get a chance to ask any of those friends - was their lack of smell before they exhibited the other systems?

Yes. They all have mentioned this. Like, you can’t even smell tequila.

Also heard thst a friend of friends died last night. I didn’t know him, but I have friends who are very upset today.

Just remember: Trump did nothing for 2 months and told us it was a hoax.

As long as you continue to call me a child for having disagreements with you about principles, I will continue to regard your world as Manichean. Only giving back what you continue to give me. You interpret your age as giving you real world wisdom over someone like me. I interpret it as you being fortunate to have entered the workforce on the other side of 2008 financial crash.

And the main reason the world is better than 36 hours ago is because Sanders demanded they keep the unemployment benefits that Republicans tried to remove at the last minute.

Of course there are benefits to this bill, not the least of which are the badly needed immediate boosts to the medical field. It's still an overall terrible bill that is going to have long lasting effects well after this crisis is over that will only further income inequality. Because the Democrats are a cowardly party largely beholden to corporations.

Small bit of good news that might effect some people here. From what I was reading this past week or so, the stimulus checks were going to go to households making up to 75k, then taper down between 75-99, and then nothing over 99.

Washington Post today is saying that it isn't household income, but individual.

Here is the calculator to see what you can expect

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/business/coronavirus-stimulus-check-calculator/

As long as you continue to call me a child for having disagreements with you about principles, I will continue to regard your world as Manichean. Only giving back what you continue to give me. You interpret your age as giving you real world wisdom over someone like me. I interpret it as you being fortunate to have entered the workforce on the other side of 2008 financial crash.

And the main reason the world is better than 36 hours ago is because Sanders demanded they keep the unemployment benefits that Republicans tried to remove at the last minute.

Of course there are benefits to this bill, not the least of which are the badly needed immediate boosts to the medical field. It's still an overall terrible bill that is going to have long lasting effects well after this crisis is over that will only further income inequality. Because the Democrats are a cowardly party largely beholden to corporations.

I think part of the reason people respond negatively to you is because you write things like - it was was all Biden's fault for some part of the ACA that didn't get included.
and the ONLY reason this bailout bill is any good is because Bernie swooped in and saved the day. Both statements are ridiculous.

That's not how any of this works. Pelosi and Schumer do the negotiations, along with some of the committee members, everything else you see on the Senate floor is just speeches.

It’s how you present your arguments and the all good vs all bad worldview, combined with a seeming lack of understanding of the transactional nature of politics that makes your arguments immature, not the ideas themselves. As well as letting yourself be misled by silly “gotcha” videos — remember when you thought you had burned Kamala Harris with the video of the guy with MS? Things like that.

Look at your last sentence.

You’re positing that’s the only reason why anyone doesn’t agree with you is because they’re beholden to corporate interests. This is why actual, productive conversation with you has become so disappointing. We aren’t disagreeing on principles; we are disagreeing on tactics and presentation. That’s what I’ve been trying to get you to understand ever since you called me a bad person for considering voting for Joe Biden. That has nothing to do with 2008.

We aren’t that far apart, really. There are plenty of people your age who hold your convictions who don’t present themsleves in nearly the same way.

Last edited:
I think part of the reason people respond negatively to you is because you write things like - it was was all Biden's fault for some part of the ACA that didn't get included.

and the ONLY reason this bailout bill is any good is because Bernie swooped in and saved the day. Both statements are ridiculous.

That's not how any of this works. Pelosi and Schumer do the negotiations, along with some of the committee members, everything else you see on the Senate floor is just speeches.

This approach is also not working for Bernie.

Betsy DeVos is supposed to be at the task force briefing today. Ugh.

Dr. Fauci said no one can create a timeline, the virus creates the timeline. Of course everyone should have already realized that. Trump doesn't seem to. So it's a showdown between Trump and Dr. Fauci. And Trump will probably deal with that by getting rid of him. Can he fire him? Does anyone know?

I get nothing for stimulus. I should have defined myself as a corporation

I'm seeing such mixed responses around the loss of smell symptom. It definitely precedes positive testing, but the progression of symptoms depends on the person. Some people have it as their only symptom, others progress to having it with other symptoms first, some don't get it at all.

What I'd like to know is if it's sudden or gradual. NPR's write up suggested that it happens all at once, like you just wake up one day and your sense of smell and taste are completely gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom