global pandemic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
tiny bit of good news:

Italy recorded a lower day-to-day increase of coronavirus cases for the second day in a row Monday, officials said.

Italy’s Civil Protection agency documented 4,789 new cases Monday, 700 less than the 5,560 new cases reported Sunday, The Associated Press reported. But officials cautioned that it’s too early to know if the worst is behind the country that has experienced the most deaths due to the virus.

The day-to-day death count also fell to just over 600 deaths Monday compared to 651 on Sunday.

The coronavirus has hit Italy hard, overwhelming its health care system and killing 6,077 people. The country has 63,927 confirmed cases, compared to China’s 81,496.

Before the recent decrease, Italy had seen the daily death toll from COVID-19 rise to new highs.

One of Italy’s national health officials, Silvio Brusaferro, warned against any optimism, saying the decrease in new cases reflected actions taken at the beginning of the month.

“We need more consecutive results to confirm the trend, to be more certain that we are in a favorable situation,” Brusaferro said, according to the AP.

The U.S. trails Italy for the third-most confirmed COVID-19 cases at more than 41,500, with 573 deaths, according to data from Johns Hopkins University.

Public officials have warned the U.S. could follow in Italy's footsteps if precautions are not taken.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthca...oronavirus-cases-drop-in-italy-for-second-day

:up:

Hopefully we begin to see a similar plateau and subsequent drop here in the US in the next month or so. Social distancing will work well if people actually respect the regulations in place, which is a big if, I realize.

Thank you all! My aunt is stable but will remain sedated. My uncle got sicker and is now also hospitalized but they are finally testing him as well for the virus. It sucks being so far away for sure. I am glad though they are both receiving treatment now. I was worried for my uncle as he was alone and the doctors said there wasn’t much they could do last night so it is good news they took him
In as well.

Thank you all! My aunt is stable but will remain sedated. My uncle got sicker and is now also hospitalized but they are finally testing him as well for the virus. It sucks being so far away for sure. I am glad though they are both receiving treatment now. I was worried for my uncle as he was alone and the doctors said there wasn’t much they could do last night so it is good news they took him
In as well.

Hoping for the best for both of them. Reading personal stories makes it even more painful.

Anyone watching the task force briefing?

At least Trump didn't attack the reporter who asked about his 15 day cure is worse than the problem tweet. And what if the doctors tell him it needs more than 15 days?

He keeps saying we can do two things at one time. Not in this situation we can't. He just brought up car accidents too, that we don't stop driving due to how many people are killed. And just said that more people could die from suicides because of the economy.

Trump also actually spoke out about attacks on Asian Americans, which to me is shocking...that he would even mention that. Of course he would never see any connection to his constant use of the term China/Chinese virus.

If Trump goes the disastrous "herd immunity" route in 10 days as he is suggesting, Americans have to reconcile with tens of thousands of deaths (at least) and likely not being permitted entry to basically any other country in the world, not even the shit holes.

LA is under lockdown for another month at least. Would an executive order to send everyone back to work cancel out an order from state government? Would there be sanctions if we didn't fall in line? I'm totally fine with being in one of the only states willing to keep people at home.

In as well.
Continued well wishes for your Aunt and Uncle.

LA is under lockdown for another month at least. Would an executive order to send everyone back to work cancel out an order from state government? Would there be sanctions if we didn't fall in line? I'm totally fine with being in one of the only states willing to keep people at home.

Just listening to Last Word w Lawrence O'Donnell/MSNBC. He commented that (thank goodness for at least Blue States their governers will not force businesses to reopen until they get real medical opinions from doctors, epidemiologists, public health officials telling them it's safe to do so. :up:

Luckily Andrew Cuomo (NYS-D) s doing a really good, fiesty job.

Last edited:
Just listening to Last Word w Lawrence O'Donnell/MSNBC. He commented that (thank goodness for at least Blue States their governers will not force businesses to reopen until they get real medical opinions from doctors, epidemiologists, public health officials telling them it's safe to do so. :up:

That's a relief. The last thing I want is for Donald Trump to have the last word on how a pandemic spreads.

The "pro-life" party, ladies and gentlemen.

Good. I hope everyone refuses to heed Trump's orders, no matter the state. What a perfect way to tell him to fuck off.

Trump also actually spoke out about attacks on Asian Americans, which to me is shocking...that he would even mention that. Of course he would never see any connection to his constant use of the term China/Chinese virus.

That was my first thought as well, his constant use of "Chinese Virus" probably inspired a segment of his base to start blaming Asian Americans for whats's happening.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...is-owned-76ers-devils-notified-april-pay-cuts

billion-dollar corporations "asking" employees making $70k or less to take a 20% pay cut during a disease outbreak is a totally normal and sane thing in a free country that has just recently been made great again.
Not that the details matter as much as the principal, but 20% is on employees making 70k and up, it's a lower percentage for those making between 50 and 70k, and there's no cut on anyone making less than 50k.

So pretty much senior managers, directors and VPs get the shaft, most coordinators won't see a change, and contracted employees - who make the most money - are being asked to take the same cuts because legally they can't be forced to.

Contracted employees in the NBA teams would be your CMOs, CFOs, President's, GMs, head coaches, some front of the bench assistants (most assistants are actually salaried employees and not contracted) and players.

Harris has a shit ton of cash flow (not every owner does) so this is an extra heaping of horse shit on his part. He got Meek out, tho.

On the flip side of this you have Cuban who is doing a shit ton to help employees and the community.

Last edited:
The whole notion is very sickening, and it's particularly troublesome to see some Democrats echoing the rhetoric. Cuomo in particular had the line about "pivoting back to economic functionality," which is very worrying.

To get past this, we need to say "Fuck the market" for the next 4-6 months and just worry about meeting people's needs. Give everyone the money they need, suspend rents/mortgages/et al. to make this all work. We can do it. It's just a matter of willingness from those in power at this point. And our leadership nearly across the board has so far been unwilling to go there.

I think someone pointed out that something like a third of Americans have some sort of underlying condition.

It's not just the elderly, it's anyone with Cancer, hypertension, diabetes etc all are more at risk, many people that are part of the economy and you may not realise have a condition that makes them more at risk.

I think someone pointed out that something like a third of Americans have some sort of underlying condition.

It's not just the elderly, it's anyone with Cancer, hypertension, diabetes etc all are more at risk, many people that are part of the economy and you may not realise have a condition that makes them more at risk.
And there are probably people out there that have a condition and don't even know it yet.

And there are probably people out there that have a condition and don't even know it yet.

Diabetes is the scary one - mortality rate is very high and there are probably tens of thousands of overweight and obese Americans walking around with Type 2 diabetes undiagnosed.

One of my closest friends has a daughter with serious medical issues. She's 5 years old and has no colon and only a few cm of her small bowel. She lost them in the days after she was born when she contracted necrotizing enterocolitis (basically flesh eating bacteria of the bowels). She is fed totally intravenously and any type of infection could put her life in danger, even a simple cold because the IV nutrition she receives can have severe side effects on the liver and other organs, especially if you are on it for years. Otherwise she looks and acts like a typical 5-year-old - she is super smart and you likely wouldn't know there is anything "wrong" with her except that she has to be hooked up to her lines 14 hrs a day.

So those are the people we are willing to sacrifice to the economy?

And this from the "pro-life" party. What a joke.

Diabetes is the scary one - mortality rate is very high and there are probably tens of thousands of overweight and obese Americans walking around with Type 2 diabetes undiagnosed.

One of my closest friends has a daughter with serious medical issues. She's 5 years old and has no colon and only a few cm of her small bowel. She lost them in the days after she was born when she contracted necrotizing enterocolitis (basically flesh eating bacteria of the bowels). She is fed totally intravenously and any type of infection could put her life in danger, even a simple cold because the IV nutrition she receives can have severe side effects on the liver and other organs, especially if you are on it for years. Otherwise she looks and acts like a typical 5-year-old - she is super smart and you likely wouldn't know there is anything "wrong" with her except that she has to be hooked up to her lines 14 hrs a day.

So those are the people we are willing to sacrifice to the economy?

And this from the "pro-life" party. What a joke.
That's so freaking scary. Lupus is one as well. My ex wife and my daughter's mother has lupus bit it went undiagnosed for many years. And she's still expected to go in the office. But I'm sure there are also thousands of people who have lupus and just don't know it yet.

Continued well wishes for your Aunt and Uncle.

Very impressed with Cuomo's leadership

I watch Cuomo being an actual leader and I can’t help but smile a bit at the memory that there are people who thought that Cynthia Nixon was going to be the governor of New York and that this would be a good idea because she rides the subway.

Politics and leadership isn’t about putting people in office who most closely share your utopian fantasies and promise you a pony on Christmas morning. It means getting people in power who are actually good at government.

The whole notion is very sickening, and it's particularly troublesome to see some Democrats echoing the rhetoric. Cuomo in particular had the line about "pivoting back to economic functionality," which is very worrying.

To get past this, we need to say "Fuck the market" for the next 4-6 months and just worry about meeting people's needs. Give everyone the money they need, suspend rents/mortgages/et al. to make this all work. We can do it. It's just a matter of willingness from those in power at this point. And our leadership nearly across the board has so far been unwilling to go there.

I don't think that's what Cuomo meant- he meant we need to plan for when this is past- we have start planning how to get the economy back on track now. We can't wait for this to be over to plan-we need parallel planning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom