global pandemic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No difference between March 14th and March 18th. Or March pick a day. Crowds of people shouldn't be on beaches, no matter how selfish and oblivious they may be. It's time to believe this stuff and behave accordingly.

That’s absolutely not true. You’re revising time here. The CDC only issued guidance of no gatherings of 50 or more on March 15th.

I was in Northern Ireland up until March 9th. There were 0 cases when I arrived and 4 cases in Northern Ireland when I left. There were something like 300 cases in the US (reported) at that time. It’s ballooned to 5000 since then.

There’s been mismanagement from the top down. There’s been misinformation from the top down. You can’t just say “pick any day in March” because the bottom line is that not everyone is as tuned in as you are.

Work-from-home guidance didn’t come until the end of last week for most Americans (~March 13th). Public closures didn’t come until Sunday/Monday (14th/15th). CDC guidance didn’t come until the 15th.

We are witnessing exponential growth, and public awareness has been lagging. Lack of social distancing on March 10th is like ages ago at this point. The whole world has changed.

Anyways, I was never discounting that it’s still ongoing and still an issue, and public awareness and disinformation are feeding into that. But it’s important to recognize that in fact part of the disinformation comes from the news sources everyone trusts, and from individualized viral social media.

Yes indeed. It's a me me me me country and world. When I was young I thought I was invincible too. But I also cared about others and behaved in responsible ways.

This quote has never been so true for me in these new times...

“I’m a loner Dotty, a rebel”

Sofa time doesn’t affect me one bit!!

That’s absolutely not true. You’re revising time here. The CDC only issued guidance of no gatherings of 50 or more on March 15th.

I was in Northern Ireland up until March 9th. There were 0 cases when I arrived and 4 cases in Northern Ireland when I left. There were something like 300 cases in the US (reported) at that time. It’s ballooned to 5000 since then.

There’s been mismanagement from the top down. There’s been misinformation from the top down. You can’t just say “pick any day in March” because the bottom line is that not everyone is as tuned in as you are.

Work-from-home guidance didn’t come until the end of last week for most Americans (~March 13th). Public closures didn’t come until Sunday/Monday (14th/15th). CDC guidance didn’t come until the 15th.

We are witnessing exponential growth, and public awareness has been lagging. Lack of social distancing on March 10th is like ages ago at this point. The whole world has changed.

Anyways, I was never discounting that it’s still ongoing and still an issue, and public awareness and disinformation are feeding into that. But it’s important to recognize that in fact part of the disinformation comes from the news sources everyone trusts, and from individualized viral social media.

I don't want to argue about it and I'm no more tuned in than anyone else. The point I was trying to make is that responsibility has no date. The time to be responsible is now. If the beaches aren't closed how many people will be allowed to continue to do this? Going to a grocery store if you have no food of going to a pharmacy for a necessary prescription is necessary. Going to the beach is not.

I'm not worried abouf media disinformation, fake news, any of that crap. I'm listening to medical professionals. Closing the beaches would end any arguments about dates and clickbait. It's an urgent public health issue.

I would like to generally point out there will be a lot of 'young' people working to save lives in the coming weeks, plenty of nurses and docs in their 20's and early 30's.

In the UK they are preparing to pull in 3rd year pre-grad nurses and 4-5th year pre-grad docs,

Anyway things I did not know before this all started, 50% of all ventilators in the world are made in Ireland. Didn't think that was one of things we were leading the market in.

100% of Tayto crisps sure but ventilators?

I don't want to argue about it and I'm no more tuned in than anyone else. The point I was trying to make is that responsibility has no date. The time to be responsible is now. If the beaches aren't closed how many people will be allowed to continue to do this? Going to a grocery store if you have no food of going to a pharmacy for a necessary prescription is necessary. Going to the beach is not.

I'm not worried abouf media disinformation, fake news, any of that crap. I'm listening to medical professionals. Closing the beaches would end any arguments about dates and clickbait. It's an urgent public health issue.

You are far more tuned in than those people on the beaches.

I cannot understand why you think that’s not the case. This is like the age-old Trump question. How is he still in power? Most people don’t give a shit. That’s why. The same can be said about this pandemic. They haven’t (until this week) had public decree shoved down their throats.

It’s astounding to me that you think that everyone is as aware as you are. Even people like gzusfrk, for as incorrect as he is in my eyes, is “aware,” but not everyone is engaged like him or you or me. We are in our own internet bubble here.

My roommate is a very well educated and smart engineer, and all he knows about on his internet is memes. He was convinced Pete Buttigieg was “too left” and that’s why he wasn’t successful. He said CNN said it was okay to get take-out so there shouldn’t be any cause for concern for going to McDonald’s. He said the bars are still open so obviously it’s not an issue and if it was they would close them. Clearly he lacks critical thinking and the ability to formulate thoughts for himself, cannot adequately inform himself, and needs to be told what to do. When the CDC said 50 people, he said oh shit. When I advertise to him that shelter in place might become a reality, he rolls his eyes, but we see it across parts of Europe and California, with NYC posturing.

Things are only real to someone like that when they’re told what to do. Yes I agree, closing the beaches would be something critically important to do in Florida. It’s not just some giant selfish millennial party though, it’s a critical failure of response from the top down.

It’s astounding to me that you think that everyone is as aware as you are.

This appears to be a uniquely American phenomenon.

We are basically locked down everywhere else and have been for days or weeks (or months).

So what's the reason for the lack of awareness? Most of us have fewer cases than you (total or per capita), so it's not a seriousness issue.

It's a total and utter lack of leadership from Trump and negligence or actual intentional harm being done by the right wing media in the US. Those are the two factors missing everywhere else.

I highly doubt that it’s uniquely American. We are just much worse at it. We lack self awareness on a different scale. This sort of behavior exists in the UK, too. I don’t want to blanket speak for Canada as I have limited to no (recent) experience with Canadian society. But I also have the Alberta circle of my family on Facebook and I can say they’re more of the right wing nutjobs.

With that being said, all I can say is it’s a Trump artifact. In the US if you’re part of the mainstream, you have a great belief that the officials will be able to handle it. I think everyone is still imagining it will blow over, strictly because they’re uninformed or disinformed. There isn’t the rhetoric that exists from leadership, and it impacts not only Trumpeters but everyone else who has this firm belief that there’s no problem we won’t tackle.

In 13 days I’ve been out of the house three times and have kept my distance, been hyper conscious of touching anything, and have made sure to wash my hands prodigiously anyway. Taxes done and two grocery trips. I’m amazed that toilet paper is still selling out within minutes of stores opening. Like, we’re probably two weeks away from running out. I’m starting to get just a little worried. Heh.

In 13 days I’ve been out of the house three times and have kept my distance, been hyper conscious of touching anything, and have made sure to wash my hands prodigiously anyway. Taxes done and two grocery trips. I’m amazed that toilet paper is still selling out within minutes of stores opening. Like, we’re probably two weeks away from running out. I’m starting to get just a little worried. Heh.

The CVS next to my metro isn’t car accessible and it has toilet paper in stock.

Might want to consider sawing paper towel rolls into thirds tho

Because I am lazy and forgot to unsubscribe and save for baby wipes on Amazon, I have over 3,000 wipes in my basement in addition to toilet paper. Worse comes to worst, Pampers for everybody.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/17/...dJmmdy-MrMRPxlTyL1etWTj_3A016DOLv1s3KofSy3Duo

How long will the American people continue to allow him to brazenly lie and gaslight them?

Hopefully not too much longer. If this hasn't made it abundantly clear by now that he needs to be gone come November, I don't know what will.

From here on out, I think we need to make it so that any politician who calls any situation like a pandemic or a mass shooting or other life-threatening scenarios like that a hoax must automatically be forced to step down, whether they're the president, a member of Congress, a mayor, whomever. That kind of rhetoric is dangerous, irresponsible, and ignorant. Maybe we need to do something that dramatic in order to get people to knock that shit off for good.

The US is now 6th in # of cases.

This is a total and unmitigated disaster.

There’s still suppression of testing.

My brother had his follow-up to his ER visit (where he had pneumonia and trouble breathing and a fever) and had another CT scan and the doctor said “your results are consistent with covid-19” but for the second time he was denied testing, as he was no longer symptomatic five days after going to the ER for pneumonia.

Young and healthy by the way.

For the record I don't think that everyone is as aware of this as I am. Some people live in self obsessed oblivion, it is astounding to me that they wouldn't be aware to such an extent that they'd party it up on a crowded beach during a pandemic.

And yes I'm perfectly aware that plenty of young doctors and nurses are making tremendous sacrifices right now. They're my heroes.

I do have to say that I find it to be incredibly ironic that SOME college students love Bernie's idea of forgiving their student loans, but SOME of them won't even give up a trip to a crowded beach or a bar etc to help protect the lives of people like Bernie. Elderly with preexisting serious health issues. That's so depressing to me, and it makes me angry.

Maybe they'll understand better when they get older, and their parents get older and sick. And they'll want to do anything and everything to protect their parents but they'll suffer the indescribable pain when that's not possible. And they'll lose them.

To make it perfectly clear I'm not indicting all young Bernie supporters by that statement. He has some who are very good people. Maybe Bernie could come out publicly and appeal to young people about this issue.

Last edited:
Might not want to consider that unless you want your plumbing to become all clogged up. Then it will become a really shitty situation. :)

There was a woman specifically buying the cheapest single-ply industrial paper towels for this reason.

Maybe they'll understand better when they get older, and their parents get older and sick. And they'll want to do anything and everything to protect their parents but they'll suffer the indescribable pain when that's not possible. And they'll lose them.

This is what I struggle with the most.

Our (those of us who are in our 40s and older) parents, if they are still with us, are not going to be with us for very long, one way or another. Their time is limited and social distancing, while the absolute best for them, is also probably the worst mentally. For them and for us. My parents live for their grandchildren, they see them multiple times a week (doing school pick ups, etc) and this is really hard for them. Some of us may lose our parents while being unable to see them. It's a horrible reality to live with.

So fuck those morons on the beach. I can only hope I am not raising such stupid, entitled brats.

6th in the number of cases and close to last in the number of tests per capita. Imagine if they were testing everybody like South Korea.

Being the 3rd most populous nation combined with the type of open travel in and out of the country before this thing got taken seriously that's far from a surprise.
But as stated by gump, factor in the small number of testing done and achieving 6th place is incredibly alarming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom