global pandemic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't see it but I heard Trump was an epic fail at the coronavirus press conference today. And Pence said he didn't know if Trump has been tested. Shouldn't the American public have a right to know that?

Vanityfair.com

“He’s Definitely Melting Down Over This”: Trump, Germaphobe in Chief, Struggles to Control the Covid-19 Story

GABRIEL SHERMAN
MARCH 9, 2020 1:19

Ever since the coronavirus exploded outside of China at the end of January, Donald Trump has treated the public health crisis as a media war that he could win with the right messaging. But with cases now documented in 34 states and markets plunging, Republicans close to Trump fear his rosy assessments are fundamentally detached from reality in ways that will make the epidemic worse. “He is trying to control the narrative and he can’t,” a former West Wing official told me.

The problem is that the crisis fits into his preexisting and deeply held worldview—that the media is always searching for a story to bring him down. Covid-19 is merely the latest instance, and he’s reacting in familiar ways. “So much FAKE NEWS!” Trump tweeted this morning. “He wants Justice to open investigations of the media for market manipulation,” a source close to the White House told me. Trump is also frustrated with his West Wing for not getting a handle on the news cycle. “He’s very frustrated he doesn’t have a good team around him,” a former White House official said. On Friday he forced out acting chief of staff Mick Mulvaney and replaced him with former House Freedom Caucus chair Mark Meadows. Trump thought the virus was “getting beyond Mick,” a person briefed on the internal discussions said. Trump has also complained that economic adviser Larry Kudlow is not doing enough to calm jittery markets. Last week Kudlow refused Trump’s request that Kudlow hold an on-camera press briefing, sources said. “Larry didn’t want to have to take questions about coronavirus,” a person close to Kudlow told me. “Larry’s not a doctor. How can he answer questions about something he doesn’t know?”

Trump found a willing surrogate in Kellyanne Conway, but Conway’s dubious claim on Friday that the virus “is being contained” only made the P.R. situation worse.

Trump’s efforts to take control of the story himself have so far failed. A source said Trump was pleased with ratings for the Fox News town hall last Thursday, but he was furious with how he looked on television. “Trump said afterwards that the lighting was bad,” a source briefed on the conversation said. “He said, ‘We need Bill Shine back in here. Bill would never allow this.’”

Trump’s press conference on Friday at the CDC was a Trumpian classic, heavy on braggadocio and almost entirely lacking a sense of the seriousness of the crisis. “I like this stuff. I really get it,” Trump told reporters, his face partly hidden under a red “Keep America Great” hat. “People are surprised that I understand it. Every one of these doctors say, ‘How do you know so much about this?’ Maybe I have a natural ability. Maybe I should’ve done that instead of running for president.” At another point Trump compared the situation to the Ukraine shakedown. “The [coronavirus] tests are all perfect. Like the letter was perfect. The transcription was perfect,” he said.

By now many of the president’s advisers are numb to this kind of performance. “There’s very little that fazes anyone now,” a former official said. But one person who spoke to the president over the weekend saw the press conference as an ominous sign. “He’s just now waking up to the fact that this is bad, and he doesn’t know how to respond.”

As Trump pushes a nothing-to-see-here message in public, sources said he’s privately terrified about getting the virus. “Donald is a famous germaphobe. He hates it if someone is eating nachos and dips a chip back in after taking a bite. He calls them ‘double dippers,’” a prominent Republican said. Former Trump aide Sam Nunberg recalled Trump’s response to the last major outbreak in 2014. “When I worked for Trump, he was obsessed with Ebola,” Nunberg told me. (One Mar-a-Lago guest disputed this and said Trump was handshaking with gusto this past weekend. “He was acting like the opposite of a germaphobe,” the source said.)

Stories about Trump’s coronavirus fears have spread through the White House. Last week Trump told aides he’s afraid journalists will try to purposefully contract coronavirus to give it to him on Air Force One, a person close to the administration told me. The source also said Trump has asked the Secret Service to set up a screening program and bar anyone who has a cough from the White House grounds. “He’s definitely melting down over this,” the source said.

But thus far Trump’s private concerns haven’t affected his public response. Pressure from the public health community is mounting on Trump to cancel his mass rallies, but Trump is pushing back. “He is going to resist until the very last minute,” a former West Wing official said. “He may take suggestions to stop shaking hands, but in terms of shutting stuff down, his position is: ‘No, I’m not going to do it.’”

The White House did not respond to a request for comment.

May every Republican who whored themsleves over to this vulgar orange carnival barker go down with him.

Yep. I'm sick and tired of hearing them anonymously telling people how "concerned" and "frustrated" they are about Trump. The GOP-led Senate had their chance to do the right thing a couple months ago. Trump's advisers or any other officials around him could've talked to other members of the GOP about how to get him out of here if they're that concerned. They could do the whole 25th Amendment thing, if need be, or something.

Bottom line, they need to either put up or shut up. And if they continue to stand around and twiddle their thumbs and let Trump trample over everything as he does, then as you rightly note, they deserve to pay the price right alongside him.

From that article MrsSpringsteen shared:

"Maybe I should’ve done that instead of running for president.”

Oh, how we all wish he'd chosen to do anything else other than run for president...

At another point Trump compared the situation to the Ukraine shakedown. “The [coronavirus] tests are all perfect. Like the letter was perfect. The transcription was perfect,” he said.

I just saw a clip of him saying this on Colbert's show. On the one hand I shouldn't be shocked, 'cause, Trump, but on the other hand...there aren't enough cuss words in the world to express my thoughts on that. Shut. The hell. Up. You asshole.

I have two concerts coming up, one in April and one in May. I suspect the one in April will be canceled. And while that's disappointing, I totally get it and hope efforts like that add up.

my partner bought us tickets to see thundercat next week and we've been really looking forward to it for a while, but i'm sadly expecting at any moment for it to be postponed or cancelled outright. i'll be pleasantly surprised if the show goes on.

Honestly, I'm such a germophobe right now that I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable going even if my shows didn't get canceled. I feel like I can't enjoy anything that involves me leaving the house.

It's pretty unrealistic to be so afraid since I'm a 29 year old with clean lungs and no underlying conditions that would prevent me from recovering quickly, but then I see these stories about young adults basically dropping dead or needing to be intubated and the anxiety spiral starts all over again.

Last edited:
i've pretty much accepted that mathematically i'm almost certain to get it at some point. she works in the international terminal of the airport and takes the airport train home, and i take an overcrowded downtown streetcar to and from work every day. toronto's financial district is so crowded five days a week (and really very little precautions have been taken so far other than making sure people can work from home) that when it hits, it'll be fast.

I don't know about communion.

Don't worry, this group of high risk individuals says it's perfectly safe:

Holy-Synod-1-e1583758627562.jpg

”For the members of the Church, attending the Holy Eucharist … certainly cannot be a cause of disease transmission,” the Holy Synod declared in its statement.

”Faithful of all ages know that coming to receive Holy Communion, even in the midst of a pandemic, is both a practical affirmation of self-surrender to the Living God, and an apparent manifestation of love,” the Greek Orthodox Church averred.
https://greece.greekreporter.com/20...res-coronavirus-not-transmitted-by-communion/

Just got this email from President of Harvard:

Dear Members of the Harvard Community,

Like all of you, I have been intently following reports of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) and considering the many ways in which its future course might alter my life and the lives of those closest to me. These past few weeks have been a powerful reminder of just how connected we are to one another—and how our choices today determine our options tomorrow.

Fortunately, a group of extremely dedicated people has been working literally around the clock to respond to the challenges posed by COVID-19. Our teams are considering every contingency as they undertake their important work, and I write today to update you on major near-term changes that will limit exposure to the disease among members of our community:

We will begin transitioning to virtual instruction for graduate and undergraduate classes. Our goal is to have this transition complete by Monday, March 23, which is the first day of scheduled classes following Spring Recess.

Students are asked not to return to campus after Spring Recess and to meet academic requirements remotely until further notice. Students who need to remain on campus will also receive instruction remotely and must prepare for severely limited on-campus activities and interactions. All graduate students will transition to remote work wherever possible. Schools will communicate more specific guidance and information, and we encourage everyone to review prior guidance about both international and domestic travel.

We are transitioning over the course of the next few days to non-essential gatherings of no more than 25 people. Please note this is a change from prior guidance.

The decision to move to virtual instruction was not made lightly. The goal of these changes is to minimize the need to gather in large groups and spend prolonged time in close proximity with each other in spaces such as classrooms, dining halls, and residential buildings. Our actions are consistent with the recommendations of leading health officials on how to limit the spread of COVID-19 and are also consistent with similar decisions made by a number of our peer institutions. The campus will remain open, and operations will continue with appropriate measures to protect the health of the community.

For regular updates and additional information, please visit this dedicated webpage. Provost Alan Garber, Executive Vice President Katie Lapp, and HUHS Executive Director Giang Nguyen will continue to send you updates by email as needed. You will also continue to receive School- or Unit-specific information from local leadership. If you are a student or faculty member and have specific questions or concerns, I encourage you to be in touch with the contacts identified by your dean. If you are an employee, I encourage you to be in touch with your manager.

Despite our best efforts to bring the University’s resources to bear on this virus, we are still faced with uncertainty—and the considerable unease brought on by uncertainty. It will take time for researchers, a good many of them who are our colleagues, to understand enough about this disease to mount a reliable defense against it. Now more than ever, we must do our utmost to protect those among us who are most vulnerable, whether physically or emotionally, and to treat one another with generosity and respect. Please remember that Harvard Counseling and Mental Health Services and the Harvard Employee Assistance Program are available to help you manage anxiety and stress. Your mental health is just as important as your physical health.

To our students, I know it will be difficult to leave your friends and your classrooms. We are doing this not just to protect you but also to protect other members of our community who may be more vulnerable to this disease than you are.

To our faculty, I recognize that we are asking you midway through the semester to completely rethink how you teach. We do this because we know that you want to avoid putting your students at risk.

To our staff, I understand that we are expecting you to go above and beyond in your efforts to support our important mission of teaching and scholarship. We do this because we know we can rely on your creativity, flexibility, and judgment through these challenging times.

I am proud to be a member of a community where people put the greater good above their own self-interest. Thank you for your patience and your resilience as we all learn to temper increased distance with deeper care for one another.

With appreciation,
Larry

Just passing this number on for anyone interested, received it in an email from my Congressional rep

The Disaster Distress Helpline, at 1-800-985-5990, a crisis hotline for people experiencing distress during COVID-19.

There's also the suicide prevention hotline, but it's for emotional distress too...I'm not saying these are suicidal times but they're certainly very stressful. Honestly I've called it numerous times and it's been helpful. More helpful with a good person on the other end of the line.

1 800 273 8255

I'm sure these hotlines are so busy now but it's worth a try.

Maybe I’m being stupid, but I’m living with no actual fear. I ride the NYC subways for more than 90 minutes a day. I take Amtrak trains at 3 hours a trip on the weekends. I’m still seeing all the theater I can (saw two last weekend, one tonight). I’m washing my hands and sanitizing with probably triple the frequency, but I was always pretty obsessive about it because of the subway. And I pop vitamins like it’s my job.

I haven’t had so much as a cold this winter. I don’t have either elderly or (to my knowledge) immunocompromised people in my immediate circle. I’m just not that worried.

Should I be? Honestly wondering.

My Dad is in a facility so I'm really worried about him. He has COPD and other serious health issues. I think it's time for me to stop visiting and it breaks my heart to do that.

My brother is diabetic and also a hypochondriac. He's been sending me non stop texts about how terrified he is of this virus, that's the word he uses. One cough or sneeze and he'll be convinced he has it.

He's a nightmare to deal with, that's just the truth. He used to put all this stuff on our poor mother and it was very detrimental to her.

Sent him an email last night and gave him some advice. You can't tell him anything though, he knows it all.

Maybe I’m being stupid, but I’m living with no actual fear. I ride the NYC subways for more than 90 minutes a day. I take Amtrak trains at 3 hours a trip on the weekends. I’m still seeing all the theater I can (saw two last weekend, one tonight). I’m washing my hands and sanitizing with probably triple the frequency, but I was always pretty obsessive about it because of the subway. And I pop vitamins like it’s my job.

I haven’t had so much as a cold this winter. I don’t have either elderly or (to my knowledge) immunocompromised people in my immediate circle. I’m just not that worried.

Over your health, probably not.

Do you have means to WFH if public transit is shut down? Do you have enough in savings if for some reason your work closes shop for extended periods of time? Enough food and medicine if needed to stay indoors for weeks on end?

I am concerned more about the panic that could come if a mass shutdown were to happen. The overtaxed hospitals and clinics seems ripe for disaster too.

I wouldn’t start playing around with 1% chance of death. I mean, I’m not worried I’m going to die if I get it, but that is still pretty lethal for the human experience.

So it seems you got Trump's message? (just kidding)

In 2019 I moved from the beach where I had no family within hundreds of miles.
To a location where I have about 30 within half an hour.
I went to a family gathering birthday party last night, I was the only person over 60. Next was 52. I think myself and perhaps the 52 year old are at some risk. I have tickets to a Wilco concert next Monday, I will most likely go. My younger sister is a substitute teacher, I asked her not to go into a classroom for a sick teacher. She has five children, youngest is 13, and a 52 year old spouse. I have a brother who is 60, he is a 'special needs' teacher in the SF, CA area, I worry about him possibly picking up the virus form a healthy appearing kid at school, also his wife has a very serious illness.

China says this event is on its way out over there. if that is true, we could be 4-6 weeks away form this fading out? here too. I am just trying to get reliable information and screening out all hysteria, and politically bias stuff out there.

China says this event is on its way out over there. if that is true, we could be 4-6 weeks away form this fading out? here too. I am just trying to get reliable information and screening out all hysteria, and politically bias stuff out there.

china was able to build several massive hospitals in under like a week. not a chance is that happening in the US. so i strongly doubt that it'll move as quickly through the US as it did in china.

Whether or not the information we get from China is reliable/believable is one thing, but also remember that they basically quarantined all of Wutang Clan Province and that was the step that led to new infections finally slowing there. Are we here in the US and other countries going to be able to pull off such a mass quarantine if needed?

china was able to build several massive hospitals in under like a week. not a chance is that happening in the US. so i strongly doubt that it'll move as quickly through the US as it did in china.

Before I get called a libby dumbo millennial I will reiterate that I endorse no political school of thought

One of the benefits of communism (and authoritarianism too) is the ability to mobilize your workforce. China is far more capable of cracking down and controlling its people.

When Florida (accidentally, supposedly) issued self isolation for all international travelers, my mother (in Ireland right now) quite literally told me “I’m not doing that.” Who will stop her?

China can force its people to comply to some extent. They’re better equipped in that sense, too.

In the US it will spread slower but it’s way harder to contain, especially without centralization of efforts.

Agree on the communism aspect of China. I was reading an article this morning discussing that since they have such a strong state presence in their every day life, they were extremely efficient in controlling the population. It appears to have worked, so far.

That isn't going to happen here. I think we are two weeks away from this really becoming a disaster. Hospitals are going to fill up.

Question...if you end up in intensive care in the US, do you get billed afterwards?

Your insurance does, yes. And depending upon your plan, you do, probably.

Do you have to have a really good insurance plan to cover that or would most people (those that have insurance), have some cover in relation to that?

I've worked in an ICU. I know how expensive an admission is but it is not something people generally have to worry about here. Though prioritisation of the health service here is an inevitability at the moment.

Do you have to have a really good insurance plan to cover that or would most people (those that have insurance), have some cover in relation to that?

I've worked in an ICU. I know how expensive an admission is but it is not something people generally have to worry about here. Though prioritisation of the health service here is an inevitability at the moment.

I spent 5 days in the ICU a long time ago. The bill was $40k+. After insurance, I paid out of pocket a fraction of that. I had a plan I purchased on my own independent of an employer. I’ve pretty much always been a freelancer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom