global pandemic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Florida just decided to crank up some hysteria by advising all people coming from international flights to self isolate for 14 days.

You know so like, if you come from Mexico you’re obviously more likely to have it than say... someone in Washington State right now. Womp womp.

This needs to be taken seriously, but also needs to be taken logically.

Well Florida just decided to crank up some hysteria by advising all people coming from international flights to self isolate for 14 days.

You know so like, if you come from Mexico you’re obviously more likely to have it than say... someone in Washington State right now. Womp womp.

HA!

The US is going to approach something logically. You kid.

So folks flying in from London for a 7 day Disney World family vacation should isolate for 14 days...yeah that will work.

So folks flying in from London for a 7 day Disney World family vacation should isolate for 14 days...yeah that will work.

Just as we approach spring break. Why would anyone go to Florida?

You also have to figure that the cruise ship industry is pretty cooked. Bad enough they have norovirus outbreaks regularly but now this. Imagine being quarantined in those sardine-tin-sized rooms for days/weeks. :huh:

You also have to figure that the cruise ship industry is pretty cooked. Bad enough they have norovirus outbreaks regularly but now this. Imagine being quarantined in those sardine-tin-sized rooms for days/weeks. :huh:

For as much of petri dishes as they are, cruise ships also logically make fantastic quarantine locations. They’re hotels isolated from the population. Can stimulate their business busy repurposing them as medical ships/ICU overflow.

Last edited:

I remember about a month or so back there was that story about some other ship that had to quarantine people for a time, and since they were all stuck in their rooms, the staff had to resort to actually calling those rooms and trying to entertain the passengers over the phone. As if working in customer service wasn't stressful enough...

Probably be some great deals on cruises soon, if one can gauge when this virus dies out what a deal can be scored.

A friend of mine goes on a lot of cruises - he just had one canceled, for obvious reasons, and was given a full credit for a future cruise - which he used one significantly nicer cruise because the prices have dropped so low.

He plans on continuing this practice until he can more or less get an entire ship to himself.

Most of the travel, event and conference shutdowns don't affect me because I'm a stay at home father and homebody right now looking for a teaching job in the 2020-2021 school year after completing my credential last month. I can handle a quarantine with no problems.

But I have a job interview downtown on Wednesday and intended to take public transport over. As someone who has been in multiple car accidents and suffers anxiety in cars, I'm weighing risk right now. The whole thing has me freaked out anyway because the interview involves group work with students and multiple interviewers, so it's basically a small conference. Lots of close quarters.

That's the rub though: you can't completely shut your life down. You can cut out frivolous travel and unnecessary risks, but when it affects my livelihood, I can't say no. I'm just going to have to follow logical precautions and hope for the best.

Last edited:
Probably be some great deals on cruises soon, if one can gauge when this virus dies out what a deal can be scored.

when i bought baseball tickets last week on ticketmaster, one of the "offers" that came up on the confirmation page was for a free 3-day, 2-night cruise from fort lauderdale to grand bahama and back. i thought that there had to be a catch so i fully and carefully read the terms and conditions and nope - as long as you can get to fort lauderdale the day the ship leaves, free cruise. maybe there's a timeshare presentation or something when you're on the cruise itself, but still...

that being said even at a cost of zero you couldn't get me onto a floating petri dish right now so of course i declined.

The head of the NY Port Authority has coronavirus. Also a priest in DC who shook hands with hundreds of people at services. I don't know about communion. Now those people are being asked to self quarantine.

Most of the travel, event and conference shutdowns don't affect me because I'm a stay at home father and homebody right now looking for a teaching job in the 2020-2021 school year after completing my credential last month. I can handle a quarantine with no problems.

But I have a job interview downtown on Wednesday and intended to take public transport over. As someone who has been in multiple car accidents and suffers anxiety in cars, I'm weighing risk right now. The whole thing has me freaked out anyway because the interview involves group work with students and multiple interviewers, so it's basically a small conference. Lots of close quarters.

That's the rub though: you can't completely shut your life down. You can cut out frivolous travel and unnecessary risks, but when it affects my livelihood, I can't say no. I'm just going to have to follow logical precautions and hope for the best.

Good luck for your interview. I'm going on job interviews too. I live with anxiety and depression, so this virus stuff doesn't help. I get it. All we can do is take the precautions that we can and hold on to hope.

I mean with italy it’s about time. One of the West’s biggest mistakes was assuming Italy wasn’t as big a threat as Asian countries because westernism. Italy easily had the biggest failure to control the outbreak.

My wife and I rely on one of the most crowded subway lines in NYC basically everyday, and it's driving me insane. My work has just mandated 3 days a week of telecommute, but my wife still needs to go everyday.

I would be a lot of money that NYC will look like Italy about a week from now.

Waiting for my company to demand the WFH. They were just about to change it as I've heard some people were abusing it....

Now it's an abuse to go into work with this virus!!!

I imagine all the toilet paper is due to people stockpiling on the canned beans!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom