global pandemic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't really know enough about this mostly because while the Chinese appear to have done a good job in containing the virus, you can't trust them as far as you can spit to provide us with the right data on the mortality rate or who exactly is dying. The other point about China is that their levels of air pollution are so severe and their rates of smoking (among males) so high that you are inherently dealing with individuals who have respiratory issues and/or lung damage.

We have seen in Italy yesterday, the newest 4 deaths were all people aged 76-89. That is basically in line with the same cohort who would be dying of the flu. My guess is that most of the other cases are the immunocompromised and very young children. Obviously tragic, but not so different from other respiratory viruses.

We will see what emerges when we have more data out of the west. But the main problem for us will be that we are a society that values civil liberties and therefore cannot be contained the way that China contained their people combined with the fact that our economy is largely dependent on private enterprises which, especially in the US, have terrible or no sick policies. People therefore consistently go to work when they should not.

Not to mention the idiot in the White House who thinks that this will be a nothingburger and whose concern is primarily with the value of his stocks and how to avoid bad publicity. And by the way, if you had a chance to watch his Q&A on the coronavirus in India you'd notice that he is bordering on incomprehensible, as if he has marbles in his mouth. Again, this is a tongue control issue. He's degenerating daily, and the exponential curve is a scary thing.

"we'll essentially have a flu shot for this in a very quick manner," he said, not 15 minutes after the vaccine expert said while standing directly in front of him that it would take a minimum of a year to 18 months for it to be ready.

Having people who actually have experience and know what the hell they're doing running our government? Pah, who needs that? Totally better to have a bunch of dumbasses in charge at moments like this.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: fuck every idiot who voted for and continues to support this piece of shit "administration".

No one on the NY subways is yet wearing masks. And I’m on a train that merges with the trains coming in from Flushing.

I've seen people in Toronto with masks weeks ago. Mostly Chinese. All the stores are sold out.

A lot of the masks I've seen people using are not particularly worth it. The good masks which have passed some standardised testing (at least in the eu they get called ffp3 masks, though I think n95 might be more commonly know) you need to be trained to put them on correctly and then they do a test to see if you have fitted it correctly.

So lots of people are going round looking silly for no great reason or effect.

A lot of the masks I've seen people using are not particularly worth it. The good masks which have passed some standardised testing (at least in the eu they get called ffp3 masks, though I think n95 might be more commonly know) you need to be trained to put them on correctly and then they do a test to see if you have fitted it correctly.

So lots of people are going round looking silly for no great reason or effect.

Yes you need the ones with the removable filters that cover your face other than the eyes. Full disclosure, we all have them at home. My husband’s thinking is that if the city shuts down and you absolutely need to head out to get supplies you have them. It also helps that we are friends with an exec at 3M so have a pipeline.

ERyzWQDUYAUyUWO

the stock market doth have a sense of humor

At this point, hand washing is the best thing you can do.

Yes, with the caveat that you need warm water, soap applied after your hands are wet and need to wash for 30 seconds and then dry completely. But even with that, you need to stop touching your face with your hands, which is hard for anyone as we do it hundreds of times a day subconsciously in between the time we're hand washing and nearly impossible to enforce with very young kids.

you need to stop touching your face with your hands, which is hard for anyone as we do it hundreds of times a day subconsciously.

This is practically impossible to stop, everyone gets an itch every so often, like you said its basically subconscious. As I type this I just touched my chin. Hope Mike Pence and Mother come up with a vaccine tout de suite.

This is practically impossible to stop, everyone gets an itch every so often, like you said its basically subconscious. As I type this I just touched my chin. Hope Mike Pence and Mother come up with a vaccine tout de suite.

We don't need a vaccine. Trump says that once the "heat" arrives in April, this is all over.

Yes you need the ones with the removable filters that cover your face other than the eyes. Full disclosure, we all have them at home. My husband’s thinking is that if the city shuts down and you absolutely need to head out to get supplies you have them. It also helps that we are friends with an exec at 3M so have a pipeline.

You wouldn't mind putting your exec friend in touch with my hospital as apparently we are a touch short of the 3m masks:wink:

You wouldn't mind putting your exec friend in touch with my hospital as apparently we are a touch short of the 3m masks:wink:

They were still available on Amazon last I looked. :lol:

They're available on Amazon for hundreds of dollars.

Hardware stores such as Home Depot have stopped selling them online.

The full face ones (covering eyes) are a couple of hundred, but the half-face ones are only 40ish bucks on Cdn Amazon (+ separate filters which I think are $25 or so).

If you want full face for less $, buy the half face and safety goggles...

Apparently the NY Times is reporting that Dr. Anthony Fauci is only allowed to speak about the coronavirus when the WH says he can. If that's true it's despicable, they're putting politics and controlling the narrative before public health. Of course that's been obvious already with all of Trump's downplaying for the sake of the stock market and putting Pence in charge of this.

Pence-a guy who doesn't even believe in science, said smoking doesn't make you sick, and prayed about giving clean needles out to try to prevent HIV in Indiana before he reluctantly did it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom