global pandemic - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2020, 12:34 AM   #141
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:26 PM
Nothing I love more than the media smuggling in a contagious disease just for the clicks.

Old 03-06-2020, 05:52 AM   #142
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:26 PM
I feel like we are somehow simultaneously both under prepared and overreacting to this thing.

Old 03-06-2020, 07:40 AM   #143
More 5G Than Man

Local Time: 06:26 PM
I think a lot of us are overreacting in response to how underprepared the country is. The virus itself is getting lost in the panic surrounding it.

Many will relate to this article, myself included: https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-...lf-in-the-u-s/
Old 03-06-2020, 08:38 AM   #144
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:26 AM
It depends whether you like the idea of the world becoming that little bit closer to Fallout/Day of the Dead/Post Apocalyptic World of choice

In my discussions outside of work with people, I try to focus the conversation on it isn't you who should be worried about getting it but your elderly parents or grandparents, your friends with cancer or other health conditions. The reason you are doing anything about this now is to protect them not yourself.

The anxiety of my cancer patients is through the roof with this now however.
Old 03-06-2020, 08:48 AM   #145
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:26 AM
I have two issues with this thing.

First is the health of my parents as they are high risk and sick a lot as it is (pneumonia, bronchitis multiple times a year). Now they are smokers so it’s self inflicted...but still. Mom and dad.

Second, Trump and his admin purposely fucking with the response to pamper the leader and his ego.

He did it with Puerto Rico (only 15 people died.....turned out to be 3000).

Obama shut the Ebola shit down and that was a much more dangerous thing.

While this bug isn’t to that level there will be deaths and suffering that do not need to happen
Old 03-06-2020, 09:01 AM   #146
Blue Crack Addict

Ebola is much more dangerous, but it’s also much easier to contain. People are only contagious when expressing, and people get sick far faster and die much quicker. Ebola kills too fast for it to ever really threaten a pandemic, unlike flus and this coronavirus.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:49 AM   #147
Blue Crack Addict

Don't worry, Trump just said "it's gonna go away". And that people will still be traveling in the US (even though the facts are that domestic airline travel is down as far as I know).

The CDC needs to be speaking to the American public with FACTS about this. Not the Moronavirus (or anyone in his administration) with his self motivated spin.
Old 03-06-2020, 11:41 AM   #148
Blue Crack Distributor

This is the culmination of 4 years of wolf crying.

We're at a point where there is nothing that comes out of this administration's mouth that is believe, and that's a really big fucking problem in the middle of a potential global health crisis.
Old 03-06-2020, 11:55 AM   #149
Blue Crack Addict

I copied this from an article in the L A Times.

Quote:
Higher fatality ratethan from the flu

And here’s another reason health officials are sounding the alarm: It appears that COVID-19 has a higher fatality rate than the flu.
Although 4 out of 5 cases of COVID-19 result in mild illness, the director-general of the World Health Organization said this week that the mortality rate of COVID-19 could be as high as 3.4%.
That would be higher than the mortality rate of the 1918 Spanish flu, which is estimated to have killed at least 50 million people worldwide over two years. Among those who were infected, the death rate was about 2.5%.
However, experts said the observed COVID-19 death rate is almost certainly an overestimate.
That’s because the only people being tested for the coronavirus are those showing symptoms of infection. There could be just as many people — and perhaps even more — who have the virus but show no signs of infection, or have symptoms so mild they were not tested.
Yang said it’s certainly possible that the true number of people who are infected is 10 times greater than the number of people who have confirmed cases of COVID-19. In that case, the true fatality rate would be closer to 0.2%, he said.
But even that’s still higher than the seasonal flu, which had a fatality rate of up to 0.14% last flu season, according to data from the CDC.
Old 03-06-2020, 12:09 PM   #150
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:26 AM
It is a double edged sword for public health organisations. If you get health systems and governments to take it seriously and due to the plans and restrictions you put in place the virus peters out, the general public just goes well what was the big deal over. If it goes horribly public health officials are probably going to get a lot of the blame.

I'm guessing that is what Trump would be hoping.
Old 03-06-2020, 07:45 PM   #151
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

https://twitter.com/jackiekcalmes/st...718263809?s=21

Might explain why the lack of response
Old 03-07-2020, 08:05 AM   #152
Blue Crack Addict

Trump actually said yesterday that he didn't want the people on the cruise ship off CA coming back to shore because it would affect the number of cases recorded. Yes he said that, it's both illogical and immoral. Not to mention the fact that the passengers found out how many people tested positive either on tv news or over the ship PA system. Not from Mike Pence or any other govt entity. They didn't have enough test kits either.

I'm not downplaying the seriousness of this virus, but the media hype factor is indisputable. Hourly breaking news of new cases and deaths. If they did that about the flu or norovirus or any other virus people would be panicked about that too. I had norovirus once, it was brutal. Elderly and immunosuppressed people can die from those viruses too.

Where I live the local news spends all winter hyping snowstorms. Barely any snow this winter so now they have latched on to coronavirus. On Super Tuesday that took center stage and coronavirus was back burner locally. Add to the media hype Twitter and Facebook and 24 hour news cycle and it's a perfect storm of fear and panic.I saw a story about scams this morning, and someone in England got scammed out of 20 grand for a mask that never arrived. That's insane, that someone was willing to pay that.

It is a study in media and fear and so many other things, eerily reminiscent of how Trump manipulated the media in 2016. And how his non stop media presence worked.
Old 03-07-2020, 08:37 AM   #153
More 5G Than Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
Trump actually said yesterday that he didn't want the people on the cruise ship off CA coming back to shore because it would affect the number of cases recorded.
LOL he's going to lose his mind when the thousands of presently untested cases come out over the next month.
Old 03-07-2020, 09:11 AM   #154
Blue Crack Addict

Does anyone know if Trump has graduated from elementary school yet? I keep waiting for that on breaking news.

By Joseph O’Sullivan
Seattle Times staff reporter

OLYMPIA — President Donald Trump Friday called Gov. Jay Inslee a “snake,” puncturing the feeling of bipartisanship in the wake of the vice president’s visit to Washington in response to the coronavirus outbreak.

Vice President Mike Pence flew to Washington on Thursday to meet with Inslee and Washington’s congressional delegation to discuss the response to the virus.

Thursday’s roundtable, news briefing and public statements featured praise by Pence, who thanked Inslee, health officials and others for their response to the outbreak. The governor, in return, was cordial and welcoming to Pence.

That good-spirited collaboration apparently proved too much for Trump, who on Friday toured the Centers for Disease and Control and Prevention in Atlanta.

The president and his administration have come under fire repeatedly from Inslee, in public barbs, lawsuits and at least one in-person confrontation with Trump.

When asked Friday by a reporter about Pence’s visit to Washington , the president said he told Pence not to be nice to the governor.

“So I told Mike not to be complimentary to the governor, because that governor is a snake, Inslee,” Trump said. “And I said, ‘If you’re nice to him, he will take advantage.’ And I would have said no.”

“Let me just tell you, we have a lot of problems with the governor, the governor of Washington … we have many problems,” Trump added. “So Mike may be happy with him, but I am not.”

In a tweet Friday responding to the president’s remarks, Inslee wrote, “My single focus is and will continue to be the health and well-being of Washingtonians.”

“It’s important for leaders to speak with one voice,” the governor continued. “I just wish the president and vice president could get on the same page.”

“We appreciate the vice president’s visit and our teams are working well together,” Inslee added.

Later Friday, Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan reacted to Trump’s name-calling and reports that Trump adviser Larry Kudlow said on a televised interview that Americans should avoid traveling to Seattle.

“The city of Seattle, King County, Washington State and public health officials are taking thoughtful and precautionary steps to stop the spread of the virus,” Durkan said. “We rely on our federal partners for the steadfast support every American deserves. This administration is name-calling and making inaccurate off-the-cuff comments – it’s simply irresponsible and has serious consequences for our residents and businesses.”
Old 03-07-2020, 04:04 PM   #155
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

https://twitter.com/lizspecht/status...459003909?s=21

This thread scared the shit out of me. Let’s hope none of it becomes reality
Old 03-07-2020, 11:10 PM   #156
More 5G Than Man

A lot of ifs and assumptions in that thread. We'll see what happens.
Old 03-08-2020, 12:17 PM   #157
Blue Crack Addict

I feel so reassured

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

We have a perfectly coordinated and fine tuned plan at the White House for our attack on CoronaVirus. We moved VERY early to close borders to certain areas, which was a Godsend. V.P. is doing a great job. The Fake News Media is doing everything possible to make us look bad. Sad!

8:45 AM · Mar 8, 2020·
Old 03-08-2020, 12:21 PM   #158
Blue Crack Addict

CoronaVirus lmao
Old 03-08-2020, 01:29 PM   #159
Blue Crack Distributor

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1...867170305?s=19
Old 03-08-2020, 09:48 PM   #160
Blue Crack Distributor