global pandemic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Trump actually said yesterday that he didn't want the people on the cruise ship off CA coming back to shore because it would affect the number of cases recorded. Yes he said that, it's both illogical and immoral. Not to mention the fact that the passengers found out how many people tested positive either on tv news or over the ship PA system. Not from Mike Pence or any other govt entity. They didn't have enough test kits either.

I'm not downplaying the seriousness of this virus, but the media hype factor is indisputable. Hourly breaking news of new cases and deaths. If they did that about the flu or norovirus or any other virus people would be panicked about that too. I had norovirus once, it was brutal. Elderly and immunosuppressed people can die from those viruses too.

Where I live the local news spends all winter hyping snowstorms. Barely any snow this winter so now they have latched on to coronavirus. On Super Tuesday that took center stage and coronavirus was back burner locally. Add to the media hype Twitter and Facebook and 24 hour news cycle and it's a perfect storm of fear and panic.I saw a story about scams this morning, and someone in England got scammed out of 20 grand for a mask that never arrived. That's insane, that someone was willing to pay that.

It is a study in media and fear and so many other things, eerily reminiscent of how Trump manipulated the media in 2016. And how his non stop media presence worked.

Trump actually said yesterday that he didn't want the people on the cruise ship off CA coming back to shore because it would affect the number of cases recorded.

LOL he's going to lose his mind when the thousands of presently untested cases come out over the next month.

Does anyone know if Trump has graduated from elementary school yet? I keep waiting for that on breaking news.

By Joseph O’Sullivan
Seattle Times staff reporter

OLYMPIA — President Donald Trump Friday called Gov. Jay Inslee a “snake,” puncturing the feeling of bipartisanship in the wake of the vice president’s visit to Washington in response to the coronavirus outbreak.

Vice President Mike Pence flew to Washington on Thursday to meet with Inslee and Washington’s congressional delegation to discuss the response to the virus.

Thursday’s roundtable, news briefing and public statements featured praise by Pence, who thanked Inslee, health officials and others for their response to the outbreak. The governor, in return, was cordial and welcoming to Pence.

That good-spirited collaboration apparently proved too much for Trump, who on Friday toured the Centers for Disease and Control and Prevention in Atlanta.

The president and his administration have come under fire repeatedly from Inslee, in public barbs, lawsuits and at least one in-person confrontation with Trump.

When asked Friday by a reporter about Pence’s visit to Washington , the president said he told Pence not to be nice to the governor.

“So I told Mike not to be complimentary to the governor, because that governor is a snake, Inslee,” Trump said. “And I said, ‘If you’re nice to him, he will take advantage.’ And I would have said no.”

“Let me just tell you, we have a lot of problems with the governor, the governor of Washington … we have many problems,” Trump added. “So Mike may be happy with him, but I am not.”

In a tweet Friday responding to the president’s remarks, Inslee wrote, “My single focus is and will continue to be the health and well-being of Washingtonians.”

“It’s important for leaders to speak with one voice,” the governor continued. “I just wish the president and vice president could get on the same page.”

“We appreciate the vice president’s visit and our teams are working well together,” Inslee added.

Later Friday, Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan reacted to Trump’s name-calling and reports that Trump adviser Larry Kudlow said on a televised interview that Americans should avoid traveling to Seattle.

“The city of Seattle, King County, Washington State and public health officials are taking thoughtful and precautionary steps to stop the spread of the virus,” Durkan said. “We rely on our federal partners for the steadfast support every American deserves. This administration is name-calling and making inaccurate off-the-cuff comments – it’s simply irresponsible and has serious consequences for our residents and businesses.”

I feel so reassured

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

We have a perfectly coordinated and fine tuned plan at the White House for our attack on CoronaVirus. We moved VERY early to close borders to certain areas, which was a Godsend. V.P. is doing a great job. The Fake News Media is doing everything possible to make us look bad. Sad!

8:45 AM · Mar 8, 2020·

This the same guy whose siblings all campaigned against him? Not surprised.

Who's we? A lot of people think the US will look like a third world country within the next two months.

Last edited:
What you don’t understand is that 150,000 people will be afraid of going to the hospital because of the crippling debt it will cause them.

Take that, proper healthcare systems.

Who's we? A lot of people think the US will look like a third world country within the next two months.

I suppose it was a very broad “we”.

Pretty much 99% of people I’ve spoken to about this crisis don’t see it as one. These are coworkers, barber, people at gym/studio, etc

It’s just a stronger version of the flu
This is political and a way to control us
Too much drama
Why are you stocking up on food / meds, nothing is going to happen here.

I always reply i hope you’re right. But does it really hurt to prepare a little?

I feel like people are falling into one of two extremes.

The idiots who are buying out Costco's entire stock of toilet paper (are they expecting diarrhea?).

And then people who don't care at all.

The proper response is something in the middle - we SHOULD all wash hands and clean surfaces better. Use latex or nitrile gloves on public transit. If you are flying, disinfect arm rests, buttons, tray table, etc with Lysol as soon as you get on the flight, watch your kids so they're not putting everything in their mouth, and have food/drinks and your prescription drugs on hand for 2 weeks if you have to quarantine. Invest in a good/accurate digital thermometer. Masks are a good idea to have in the event you're in a heavy quarantine but have to go out to buy something, etc.

I feel like people are falling into one of two extremes.

The idiots who are buying out Costco's entire stock of toilet paper (are they expecting diarrhea?).

And then people who don't care at all.

The proper response is something in the middle - we SHOULD all wash hands and clean surfaces better. Use latex or nitrile gloves on public transit. If you are flying, disinfect arm rests, buttons, tray table, etc with Lysol as soon as you get on the flight, watch your kids so they're not putting everything in their mouth, and have food/drinks and your prescription drugs on hand for 2 weeks if you have to quarantine. Invest in a good/accurate digital thermometer. Masks are a good idea to have in the event you're in a heavy quarantine but have to go out to buy something, etc.

Why is everyone roasting the toilet paper thing? If you’re ever self-quarantined or theres public emergency lockdown (look at Italy right now) it would be nice to not run out of toilet paper ??*♂️ and it has a virtually infinite shelf life. There’s no loss in buying that item.

Panic buying isn’t entirely healthy but I appreciate people who are taking it seriously. We should be keeping all of our 60+ people indoors anyways.

Why is everyone roasting the toilet paper thing? If you’re ever self-quarantined or theres public emergency lockdown (look at Italy right now) it would be nice to not run out of toilet paper ??*♂️ and it has a virtually infinite shelf life. There’s no loss in buying that item.

Have you seen some of the scenes in Costco?

People buying like 300 rolls of toilet paper, clearly hoarding.

Costco limited toilet paper and other things per customer. I ordered some from Target last week, because I was running low. Maybe I should get some more? I've always had a strange quirk fear about running out of toilet paper anyway lol

I was able to get some hand sanitizer wipes at CVS when I was in there for something else, they had them displayed on the way to the register. Got the last alcohol at Walgreens and ordered some aloe vera gel from Amazon. You can Google and make hand sanitizer with that. Ordered some hand sanitizer from Bath and Body Works, kept checking and lucked out. Limit one per item.

So I think I'm set for a while. I'm worried about the economic effects of this on top of the virus itself. Each person has to do what's right for them, but I couldn't fly now. I cancelled volunteering for a large scale event in early April that I've done the last two years. Just can't chance it, not comfortable with that.

Dublin cancelled their St Patrick's Day parade. I think many large scale events in the US will be cancelled. For St Patrick's Day and far beyond.

SXSW was already cancelled. Seen tons of conferences cancelled too. Can only imagine that all these folks are running their numbers as we speak - chances are poor turnout is way more expensive than taking the loss now.

the women's world hockey championships in my hometown scheduled for the end of the month have been cancelled outright - huge loss for a lot of my stepdad's students who had internship positions lined up with the television production crews and now have to scramble to try to find (already difficult to get due to demand) work experience positions in the next 3-4 weeks or else they won't be able to graduate in may.

not a massive issue in the grand scheme of things but it's wild just how much of an effect this is having on so many things at so many levels.

Airlines will take a massive hit, as will hotels.

And as this goes on for weeks or months, businesses will realize how much of their air travel is unnecessary and frivolous. It will be a hard recovery.

I'm worried about the economic effects of this on top of the virus itself. Each person has to do what's right for them, but I couldn't fly now. I cancelled volunteering for a large scale event in early April that I've done the last two years. Just can't chance it, not comfortable with that.

Yeah, I'm curious what this'll mean for some of the people at where my mom works, too. The sales people have to travel to other towns in the area for work-related events and meetings and whatnot. I'm curious if they're going to cut down on that, if not halt it altogether, for the time being.

Airlines will take a massive hit, as will hotels.

And as this goes on for weeks or months, businesses will realize how much of their air travel is unnecessary and frivolous. It will be a hard recovery.

Don’t be surprised if you see multiple airlines go belly up. Flybe in the UK went last week - they were already in severe financial trouble prior to this, but generally speaking, commercial visit on survives on razor thin margins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom