global pandemic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

I can't stand that guy. At least the mask covers most of his punchable face.

In that same thread is Eric Trump posting Daddy's paycheck that he donated towards coronavirus efforts. 100k I think it was? Daddy could give up all the golf and Mar A Lago weekends and give much more than that back. Eric said of course the media won't report that donation. Let's all donate for a billboard.

One does wonder how the world would be different if it had reacted to HIV the way it is reacting to the Coronavirus.

One does wonder how the world would be different if it had reacted to HIV the way it is reacting to the Coronavirus.

Seems like stocks in companies that sell toilet paper and bottled water would be through the roof.

Ladies and gentleman, your president:

A lot of people will have this and it’s very mild. They’ll get better very rapidly. They don’t even see a doctor. They don’t even call a doctor. You never hear about those people. So you can’t put them down in the category of the overall population in terms of this corona flu and/or virus. So you just can’t do that. So, if you know, we have thousands or hundreds of thousands of people that get better just by, you know, sitting around and even going to work. Some of them go to work, but they get better.

Go to work, you sick lazies.

When asked by Mr Hannity about the death rate, Mr Trump said: “I think the 3.4 per cent is really a false number.

“Now this is just my hunch, but based on a lot of conversations with a lot of people that do this, because a lot of people will have this and it’s very mild, they’ll get better very rapidly.”

“Personally, I'd say the number is way under 1 per cent.”

There you have it.

He has a hunch.

I mean chances are there are more unknown cases than there are unknown deaths.

All he has to do is articulate that point correctly and he’s not wrong.

Yes, you have a stable numerator and an unstable denominator.

But that is not really different among the calculation of mortality rates of other similar viruses like the various strains of influenza. You also know that you're never capturing the full denominator there but you use the death rate you have.

It's a different story with something like Ebola.

He pulled the 1% figure out of his ass, but I think he will likely be right by the time it's all said and done. The CFR in every country has steadily dropped as mild cases were uncovered. It's the initial deaths that ultimately inspire more aggressive testing. Iran's CFR was around 8% not that long ago but it has shrunk down to 3%.

It seems like an eternity at this point, but we are actually still very early into the lifespan of this virus and new approaches/treatments will make a big difference. China has made an impact with remdesivir and the plasma of recovered patients.

So that 3.4% figure, while not a "false number," is extremely volatile.

Last edited:
It depends whether you like the idea of the world becoming that little bit closer to Fallout/Day of the Dead/Post Apocalyptic World of choice:wink:

In my discussions outside of work with people, I try to focus the conversation on it isn't you who should be worried about getting it but your elderly parents or grandparents, your friends with cancer or other health conditions. The reason you are doing anything about this now is to protect them not yourself.

The anxiety of my cancer patients is through the roof with this now however.

I have two issues with this thing.

First is the health of my parents as they are high risk and sick a lot as it is (pneumonia, bronchitis multiple times a year). Now they are smokers so it’s self inflicted...but still. Mom and dad.

Second, Trump and his admin purposely fucking with the response to pamper the leader and his ego.

He did it with Puerto Rico (only 15 people died.....turned out to be 3000).

Obama shut the Ebola shit down and that was a much more dangerous thing.

While this bug isn’t to that level there will be deaths and suffering that do not need to happen

Ebola is much more dangerous, but it’s also much easier to contain. People are only contagious when expressing, and people get sick far faster and die much quicker. Ebola kills too fast for it to ever really threaten a pandemic, unlike flus and this coronavirus.

Don't worry, Trump just said "it's gonna go away". And that people will still be traveling in the US (even though the facts are that domestic airline travel is down as far as I know).

The CDC needs to be speaking to the American public with FACTS about this. Not the Moronavirus (or anyone in his administration) with his self motivated spin.

I copied this from an article in the L A Times.

Higher fatality ratethan from the flu

And here’s another reason health officials are sounding the alarm: It appears that COVID-19 has a higher fatality rate than the flu.
Although 4 out of 5 cases of COVID-19 result in mild illness, the director-general of the World Health Organization said this week that the mortality rate of COVID-19 could be as high as 3.4%.
That would be higher than the mortality rate of the 1918 Spanish flu, which is estimated to have killed at least 50 million people worldwide over two years. Among those who were infected, the death rate was about 2.5%.
However, experts said the observed COVID-19 death rate is almost certainly an overestimate.
That’s because the only people being tested for the coronavirus are those showing symptoms of infection. There could be just as many people — and perhaps even more — who have the virus but show no signs of infection, or have symptoms so mild they were not tested.
Yang said it’s certainly possible that the true number of people who are infected is 10 times greater than the number of people who have confirmed cases of COVID-19. In that case, the true fatality rate would be closer to 0.2%, he said.
But even that’s still higher than the seasonal flu, which had a fatality rate of up to 0.14% last flu season, according to data from the CDC.

It is a double edged sword for public health organisations. If you get health systems and governments to take it seriously and due to the plans and restrictions you put in place the virus peters out, the general public just goes well what was the big deal over. If it goes horribly public health officials are probably going to get a lot of the blame.

I'm guessing that is what Trump would be hoping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom