global pandemic - Page 31 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2020, 01:07 PM   #601
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:55 PM
Dr. Fauci kept touching his face when Trump was speaking. Probably because he was so uncomfortable. More than anyone he knows he's not supposed to touch his face. Why are the doctors even there during these Trump circus sideshows?

Old 03-20-2020, 01:14 PM   #602
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:55 PM
I can't really fault people who are continuing to touch their face, even as they're telling others not to. You're not going to stop decades of learned behavior and habits in a week.

Old 03-20-2020, 01:19 PM   #603
Blue Crack Distributor

An 8 year old at our local elementary school tested positive for COVID-19. Meanwhile the park around the corner is jumping. Our school zone is relatively small, geographically.

We're a dumb people.
Old 03-20-2020, 01:31 PM   #604
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:55 AM
ok

Does anyone know what is going wrong in Italy? Did they really not act in time? Is there something else that their lockdown isn't helping with?

Over 600 deaths today from yesterday
Over 6000 new cases

Will this country survive the panic that is going to come from when our numbers dwarf Italy's?
Old 03-20-2020, 01:34 PM   #605
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
I can't really fault people who are continuing to touch their face, even as they're telling others not to. You're not going to stop decades of learned behavior and habits in a week.
I'm not "faulting" him at all, I mentioned it merely as an indication of how uncomfortable he was because of Trump's behavior. That's all. He clearly is uncomfortable all the time because of things Trump says. And he has to stand there and pretend he doesn't have a problem with it.
Old 03-20-2020, 01:34 PM   #606
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
ok

Does anyone know what is going wrong in Italy? Did they really not act in time? Is there something else that their lockdown isn't helping with?

Over 6000 new cases

Will this country survive the panic that is going to come from when our numbers dwarf Italy's?

My understanding is that Italy’s lockdown was not a harsh enough lockdown.

So, basically what’s happening here.
Old 03-20-2020, 02:15 PM   #607
Blue Crack Addict

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1240855868909981696

Is he a Republican? Does the sun rise in the East?

He felt "well enough" to show up to vote.

We're all doomed.
Old 03-20-2020, 02:16 PM   #608
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
ok

Over 6000 new cases

Partly that the lockdown isn't harsh enough.

But the main reason appears to be their fairly high rates of multi-generational cohabiting. They have one of the oldest populations in the world, and a high % of elderly living with their children and grandchildren in tight quarters. Perfect storm.
Old 03-20-2020, 02:27 PM   #609
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:55 PM
That's the same basic thing I would think re: the demographics. But Japan has a very similar situation and seemingly hasn't been severely hit.
Old 03-20-2020, 03:02 PM   #610
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
That's the same basic thing I would think re: the demographics. But Japan has a very similar situation and seemingly hasn't been severely hit.

Japanese are far more obedient/deferential to authority so their behaviour is very different.
Old 03-20-2020, 03:06 PM   #611
More 5G Than Man

Local Time: 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
According to Trump there are no empty store shelves. Is he over 100,000 total lies yet?
He's lying, but there are fewer than the bored fearmongers on Facebook would tell you. From a county that's locked down, I can tell you that things were looking pretty normal on Wednesday. No paper goods or pasta, but everything else was available, albeit in smaller quantities.

Nobody ever thinks to look for the frozen breads or bakery when the bread aisle is empty.
Old 03-20-2020, 04:05 PM   #612
Blue Crack Distributor

Well at least one person now knows look there
Old 03-20-2020, 04:53 PM   #613
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:55 AM
I think Italy's situation is due to several factors, such as those mentioned above. I also read yesterday that about a third of Italians defied the lockdown.

Howiever, I think it needs to be considered that they were the first European country to experience this kind of spread of the virus, even though it seems that it actually first came to Germany via the company Webasto. That company had an employee from Wuhan visiting, but also operates in Northern Italy. So it's likely that an Italian or Italian-based employee contracted the virus in Munich and then carried it to Italy.

The thing is, in my mind, without Italy other European countries would not have been able to push through measures like those we are seeing now. There simply wouldn't be acceptance for that. No one would take it seriously enough. It is because of the stories coming out of Italy that people in other countries accepted the reports about exponential growth and that drastic measures are the only way to slow the spread.

Speaking from a German perspective, there are two opposing forces at work here: On the one hand, Germans are known to follow the rules. And that's what a lot of people are doing. But they do so because they see what's happening in Italy, and therefore they are taking the warnings seriously. But then there's also the historic knowledge of the dictatorships, especially the Third Reich, which has people almost paranoid whenever any freedoms are being curbed. These people fear that everything is just the precedent for a new dictatorship coming and enforcing a new brutal regime. Some of them may still have realized the dangers of Covid-19 and self-isolate, but then there are those who think this is all more fearmongering than anything else, and they need to defend their freedoms.

And of course there is no small amount of people who just think they are stronger than the virus (which they likely are, but that's of course besides the point).
Old 03-20-2020, 06:53 PM   #614
ONE
love, blood, life

https://politics.theonion.com/trump-...jec-1842417623
Old 03-20-2020, 07:29 PM   #615
Blue Crack Addict

https://twitter.com/mrvndn/status/1241046275249881089
Old 03-20-2020, 08:47 PM   #616
Blue Crack Addict

I tried to post a video comparing Trump to Gov Cuomo, but I can't get it to post.

Trump's idiotic performance today is still on my last nerve. Meanwhile we have fashion designers like Christian Siriano making masks for the state of New York. While Trump keeps insisting these items are becoming more readily available.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:16 PM   #617
Blue Crack Distributor

Just spoke with a friend who is a Dr. at a busy hospital in NYC. Not good. Not not good.

They are repurposing retired wings on the hospital and creating ICU beds on the fly.

Daily cases increase every day. Not good. This is going to get really bad really quick.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:23 PM   #618
Blue Crack Addict

The US is #5 in the # of diagnosed cases globally as of right now.

Tomorrow they will certainly surpass Germany for #4 and possibly Spain for #3.

The only hope now rests on individual state governors - hopefully most of them are competent and professional and forget Trump.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:28 PM   #619
Blue Crack Distributor

I went for a drive today because for fucks sake I needed to get out of the house for a while.

Drove past the Mall and Tidal Basin.

Packed.

As packed as it would be on a normal 80 degree day in the midst of cherry blossom season? No, not even close.

But a normal Friday afternoon not in peak tourist season? Maybe not there, but close.

There are some beach volleyball courts just north or the Lincoln Memorial. They were all filled.

Our numbers are eclipsing those seen in Europe. We're peeking faster than Italy.

We need a national lock down yesterday.
Old 03-20-2020, 11:43 PM   #620
ONE
love, blood, life

We just got the shelter in place order here in Illinois. What gets me though is public transit is still operating. I get a lot of people rely on it, but if ever there was a hot spot for contagion, it's a crowded train or bus.