global pandemic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s so absurd [emoji23][emoji23]

It is but I failed my fit testing due to longer facial hair! So will need to shave if I will be coming in contact with infected patients.

I haven't been beardless in years.

It is but I failed my fit testing due to longer facial hair! So will need to shave if I will be coming in contact with infected patients.

Haha I mean more that it’s so british to think there are but 16 styles of beard and they have names and you bearded sir have one of these styles.

The toothbrush thing is absurd. Find me a human being who is sporting such a look in this time who isn’t trying to be funny in some messed up way.

I think it may be a concern for hipsters everywhere.

There's always an alternative

Mercury_space_helmet0005.pngCE608231-01A9-4DBF-ACCD-E59F4029FAA2Zoom.jpg

There's an alternative scenario that I've been thinking about that would do the opposite...

The way to stop this if a full scale outbreak occurs is to stay home, not gather in large numbers, etc. etc., right? Right.

So what happens in November if there's a ful blown pandemic on the US? How do you hold election day ?

A normal government would be prepared and have mail in ballots or some other form to still allow votes to be counted.

This administration, election canceled forever

A normal government would be prepared and have mail in ballots or some other form to still allow votes to be counted.

This administration, election canceled forever

Elections are handled entirely at the state level so it would be up to state legislatures and governors to be prepared with absentee ballots.

If it's end of days pandemic I'm still getting out to vote against Trump, even if it literally kills me.

The hysteria over this virus is getting quite crazy. Shortages of hand sanitizer, even toilet paper in some places. The "logic" is that if people are told to stay home you can still wipe.

i actually can't swim
Oh, dear! Can you at least tread water?I

Really cool that the first case in Oregon is about three miles from my house
Oh, dear.
Lotsa hand washing, don't touch your face most particularly your nose or mouth. you'll probably be fine.

Good luck over there!

There's always an alternative

Mercury_space_helmet0005.pngCE608231-01A9-4DBF-ACCD-E59F4029FAA2Zoom.jpg
:lol: guess i'll order one from NASA, then. :D

A canceling or postponing of the election is obviously a long shot, even for this administration.

But a more realistic scenario would be a highly depressed turn out, especially in heavily populated areas. Clearly that favors the incumbent.

Hopefully it'll be really infrequent by May, then gone, and either not return (best case), or show up again weeks later than our election day (at least we'll have hopefully voted Trump out!!!

Last edited:
I'm going out tomorrow and "panic buying" at Costco. Though most medical health professionals are starting to turn on quarantines as a realistic means of stopping the virus and I'm beginning to doubt we'll have one here, I'm going to be going out a lot less starting Monday and already froze some of my memberships. Right now there are no recorded cases in LA County but the chances of catching it will be growing daily.

In the end, it's not so much that I'm scared of getting sick as it is that I don't want to be a carrier that could hurt immunocompromised individuals.

I'm going out tomorrow and "panic buying" at Costco. Though most medical health professionals are starting to turn on quarantines as a realistic means of stopping the virus and I'm beginning to doubt we'll have one here, I'm going to be going out a lot less starting Monday and already froze some of my memberships. Right now there are no recorded cases in LA County but the chances of catching it will be growing daily.

In the end, it's not so much that I'm scared of getting sick as it is that I don't want to be a carrier that could hurt immunocompromised individuals.

If there is a piece of good news in this, it's that it's almost entirely affecting people 30+ and children appear to be least hit by it. The reasoning is that most of the viral colds kids are catching at daycare/school belong to the coronavirus family so even though this is a novel variant, their immune systems build up an ultra rapid response. Adults have by and large lost that immunity.

If there is a piece of good news in this, it's that it's almost entirely affecting people 30+ and children appear to be least hit by it. The reasoning is that most of the viral colds kids are catching at daycare/school belong to the coronavirus family so even though this is a novel variant, their immune systems build up an ultra rapid response. Adults have by and large lost that immunity.
And Ashley and I are between the ages of 29-32 and have a daughter who went to daycare for 6 months and caught all kinds of good stuff in her time there. Odds of anything really bad going down in this household is pretty low.

But...trying not to get caught by surprise.

My kids have had every disease known to humankind, or so it has felt like all winter for years now, so here is hoping...

I'm pretty much destined to get it. Healthcare workers are 30 times more likely to get it just from constant exposure. If needed there is a likelihood I get redeployed to front line services.

I work at a major cancer hospital in Manchester, and we get patients travelling from all over the UK to us.

It will be a hard choice for patients do I report I have symptoms and risk not being able to have my cancer treatment?

Got about $300 in non-perishables in case things get out of hand. Should be good for a bit. Not really looking to leave the house much over the next few weeks unless I absolutely have to.

Last edited:

This aspect needs to be highlighted and talked about MUCH more often.

Seriously, if for no other reason, the Trump administration should be concerned about this virus on an economic level. Trump's constantly out there touting the economy as proof of how "great" his presidency is, and it's (supposedly) the main reason he still has supporters.

But the longer this administration fumbles around with a proper response to this crisis, and the more of an impact it has on the economy, well...

His strategy is clearly based upon the economy imo. He’s buying time by downplaying the impact because the economy is responding to fears rather than actual losses. By shrugging it off he’s trying to “reassure” the market that it’s no big deal.

It’s a bad idea because it sure as fuck looks like we are in for a global spread. Just isn’t a controllable virus of 80% of the carriers show mild or no symptoms.

His strategy is clearly based upon the economy imo. He’s buying time by downplaying the impact because the economy is responding to fears rather than actual losses. By shrugging it off he’s trying to “reassure” the market that it’s no big deal.

It’s a bad idea because it sure as fuck looks like we are in for a global spread. Just isn’t a controllable virus of 80% of the carriers show mild or no symptoms.

I wonder how long it's actually been in the US. I saw something that said it was in WA for at least 6 weeks already. How many people who that thought they had the flu might have had the CV?

Someone else on this thread made a very good point that he deaths in China were compounded by the horrible air pollution and high smoking rates.

Yeah that’s one of the theories behind the 3:2 death ratio in men to women I’ve heard.

Some are saying most chinese men smoke and most Chinese women do not. Others are saying women have naturally stronger immune systems as a strength for child birth.

Really crazy to see all of this evolve in real time. I’m not too worried about contracting it myself but I am worried for my parents etc.

Someone else on this thread made a very good point that he deaths in China were compounded by the horrible air pollution and high smoking rates.

That was me - there is a Lancet article I'd have to search for now but I believe it was published in 2017 and the smoking rates in China were something like 67% men and 3% women. Massive.

I am worried for my parents etc.

This is where I'm at. My mom is 67, and gets pnemonia multiple times a year. She's also a former smoker, and although she quit back in 2003 she smoked for a very long time.

My dad is 68 and gets horrible sinus colds often. He's been smoking since he was 13. He's very active, and i honestly have no idea how he does all the cardio stuff he does

But this virus would seem like a really bad thing for them compared to other people their age and non smoker

Yeah, my mom's 63, and she's had a couple nasty bouts with pneumonia in the past (they've been years apart, but still). She's never smoked, though-nobody in my family does, and is otherwise generally pretty healthy, so hopefully that helps her chances some.

And then there's my sister, who's 31 and works in a hospital. She works in the office, but still, hospital setting, that's an obvious risk right there, too. She's diabetic, which I could see causing some possible added issues were she to get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom