global pandemic - Page 25 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2020, 07:19 AM   #481
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
That’s an awkward/poorly done graphic. What is “travel plans” and “restaurants”??
Cancelling travel plans and not going out to restaurants because of the virus. The poll was done before yesterday, when so many states told restaurants to close (other than take out).

I only posted it to point out that there's a partisan divide even on something like this. I'm on another forum where you're not allowed to talk politics. But comments seep in. There are obviously Trump supporters there, and one woman there believes that this has all been exaggerated and concocted to weaponize the virus against the economy and get rid of Trump. Yesterday she said that the steps being taken were akin to martial law, and that when the numbers of infected and deceased people do not live up to what has been predicted, it can be said that these measures prevented that. Rather than admitting that it was all exaggerated/ planned/ hoax from the get go to bring Trump down.

That's how some of his supporters think, I really don't think she's an outlier. So they are not likely to change their plans when it comes to this virus. It's all just a conspiracy to bring down their idol. To the point where they will defy any precaution to prevent the spread of this virus.

Old 03-16-2020, 07:46 AM   #482
Blue Crack Addict

This is why we all need a full lock down and a border closure - we simply cannot trust large parts of the US population to do the right thing.

Ironically after Trump wanted his wall to keep everyone else out, turns out we are the ones clamouring for the wall against the deplorables.

Old 03-16-2020, 08:35 AM   #483
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
Cancelling travel plans and not going out to restaurants because of the virus. The poll was done before yesterday, when so many states told restaurants to close (other than take out).

I only posted it to point out that there's a partisan divide even on something like this. I'm on another forum where you're not allowed to talk politics. But comments seep in. There are obviously Trump supporters there, and one woman there believes that this has all been exaggerated and concocted to weaponize the virus against the economy and get rid of Trump. Yesterday she said that the steps being taken were akin to martial law, and that when the numbers of infected and deceased people do not live up to what has been predicted, it can be said that these measures prevented that. Rather than admitting that it was all exaggerated/ planned/ hoax from the get go to bring Trump down.

That's how some of his supporters think, I really don't think she's an outlier. So they are not likely to change their plans when it comes to this virus. It's all just a conspiracy to bring down their idol. To the point where they will defy any precaution to prevent the spread of this virus.

I don’t get it. Is his administration. Who is making these rules if not the administration?

I’m sure it’s a deeper conspiracy.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:40 AM   #484
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:59 PM
Must be the deep state
Old 03-16-2020, 08:46 AM   #485
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
I don’t get it. Is his administration. Who is making these rules if not the administration?

I’m sure it’s a deeper conspiracy.
From her comments, in this woman's mind, Trump has the right view on it...with his boneheaded statements and continuing to shake hands etc. He is basically being forced to take it seriously by the CDC. She keeps comparing it to H1N1 and the numbers for that and asking why these measures weren't taken then. The obvious difference to her is, her beloved Trump wasn't President then. Therein lies the conspiracy to get rid of him.

She constantly compares the numbers infected and the deaths from flus and this virus. She even mocks Dr. Fauci for the potential numbers he gives, so maybe he's in on it too. It's obvious from her comments too that she dismisses losses of elderly and those with preexisting conditions. As in those people are the ones dying and who cares.
Old 03-16-2020, 09:34 AM   #486
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
Day 1 of the no school work from home experience

Godspeed, fellow parents. May Rubble on the Double lead you to the promised land.

I got a project assigned to me this morning ave I told my Director that I’m on the case.
Old 03-16-2020, 09:36 AM   #487
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
I got a project assigned to me this morning ave I told my Director that I’m on the case.
This is the content I'm looking for
Old 03-16-2020, 12:08 PM   #488
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
MA shut down bars and restaurants too. No public gatherings over 25 people. Grocery stores and pharmacies stay open, but I believe all other stores will have to close. Movie theaters have to close, no concerts, and the obvious list goes on and on.
Quote:
A whole bunch of governors saw the response this weekend and came to the realization that St Patrick's day was Tuesday.
Supposedly the catalyst for the latest restrictions here in MA was Mayor Walsh was driven around Southie Saturday night and saw al the bars packed and with lines to get in and realized folks weren't taking anything seriously. If it had not been St. Patrick's Day weekend, wonder if we'd have taken that next step.
Old 03-16-2020, 12:30 PM   #489
Blue Crack Distributor

Did he stop by any Havahd Bahs?
Old 03-16-2020, 01:11 PM   #490
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Did he stop by any Havahd Bahs?
I think after Southie they just paakhed the cah and called it a night.
Old 03-16-2020, 01:22 PM   #491
Blue Crack Distributor

Do you like cahrona? Caz I gawt huh numbah, how duh ya like them cahronas?
Old 03-16-2020, 01:46 PM   #492
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:59 AM
Quote:
Best of luck Vincent, I hope you can get tested.

The airport scenes are unacceptable and obviously extremely worrisome.

People are stealing toilet paper from public bathrooms in the US. MAGA!
Thanks! My physician's office said they can't do the testing, only provide me with a one week sick leave. I'd have to call the Corona hotline or the local health administration. But no luck in getting through. But I learnt from others that they stopped testing people. At first it was only those who had direct contact with a known case, now they only test if you report with severe symptoms (though a lot of people with in my view pretty severe symptoms also get turned down).

I still don't quite understand why we can't scale up the testing. It would be great to know if you are a carrier or not. But well, for the moment I trust they know what they are doing.

To top it all off, Spring seems to have kickstarted this weekend. After months of grey skies and cold, it's naturally near to impossible for many people to stay in. For those who believe Corona is nature's way to tell us what it thinks of us, in Berlin it certainly drove that message home. I can understand that people want to go out, and if you keep a distance it's also certainly a better idea than staying inside all the time. But that's the thing, people naturally don't observe all the rules. Yet another reason why I think testing should be scaled up. That way at least people know if they are positive and then can stay inside. Not fail safe, but better than no one one knowing at all.

I think what Corona also exposes is, the limitations of the EU as it is set up now. When Turkey opened the borders, the EU was quick to support Greece and Bulgaria to keep those pesky refugees away. In six years the EU hasn't managed to come up with a human rights oriented approach to that whole issue. And now, when several EU member states are in a different form of crisis, there's also no overarching EU effort to be seen. Nothing that seems like solidarity between the member states. No support for Italy, for example, where people are dying just for lack of treatment capacity.

It took until today to hear from the EU administration about any efforts, which are, of course, border closing (which in this case may be justified, but is this really all we are in the EU for?). It would have been a great chance to show to the people why the EU is more than just a bureaucratic entity with iron clad borders for the most vulnerable. Instead, each country for its own.
Old 03-16-2020, 01:52 PM   #493
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:59 AM
Empathy. https://twitter.com/ACTBrigitte/stat...43103622565888
Old 03-16-2020, 01:57 PM   #494
Blue Crack Distributor

New York State will allow take out booze sales from bars and clubs, and really god bless em
Old 03-16-2020, 03:03 PM   #495
War Child

Ohio is postponing its primary. Seems like all states should follow suit since many polling places will consistently have more than 50 people, especially with the limited number of polling places that were supposed to remain open.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:41 PM   #496
Blue Crack Distributor

I understand and agree with the postponing of primaries, while also acknowledging that it's a slippery slope that I'm very uncomfortable with.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:01 PM   #497
Blue Crack Addict

We’ve had about 20 years to make online voting a thing.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:12 PM   #498
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:59 AM
Online only if we can guarentee they can't be hacked.

Mail-in voting. States need to set this up NOW in order to be ready by November.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:17 PM   #499
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 07:59 PM
Could they find a way to do mail-in ballots or something instead?

Quote:
I wish some of these shoes would have tried to get a little creative to keep production running rather than simply going dark for 2 months
Maybe we'll be lucky and they'll post some kind of video commentary online, even if it's just from their houses ?

Quote:
There are obviously Trump supporters there, and one woman there believes that this has all been exaggerated and concocted to weaponize the virus against the economy and get rid of Trump. Yesterday she said that the steps being taken were akin to martial law, and that when the numbers of infected and deceased people do not live up to what has been predicted, it can be said that these measures prevented that. Rather than admitting that it was all exaggerated/ planned/ hoax from the get go to bring Trump down.
Imagine being this deluded. I love how Trump supporters are so certain that the Democrats/Hillary/the "deep state"/etc. have all this power and these evil mastermind plans to take down their beloved leader...and yet, somehow, despite all of that, we're still not in charge of anything. How exactly does that work?

They need to get it through their thick skulls that Democrats do not need to do shit to make Trump look bad or lose. He's doing a fine enough job of that all on his own. If he loses in November (please, God, please), he will have nobody to blame for his loss but himself.

Quote:
She keeps comparing it to H1N1 and the numbers for that and asking why these measures weren't taken then. The obvious difference to her is, her beloved Trump wasn't President then. Therein lies the conspiracy to get rid of him.
So by her "logic", it's a conspiracy because the way one president handled one outbreak is different from how Trump is handling this? What?

But yes, back then we actually had a competent, intelligent president who took this kind of stuff seriously from the get-go and staffed his administration with people who were on top of the situation and could take care of it before it got any worse. Hence why we didn't wind up needing to go to such drastic measures in the end.

I mean...this isn't rocket science.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
To top it all off, Spring seems to have kickstarted this weekend. After months of grey skies and cold, it's naturally near to impossible for many people to stay in. For those who believe Corona is nature's way to tell us what it thinks of us, in Berlin it certainly drove that message home.
You know, that's another thing about the whole "Oh, the warmer weather will take care of this!" argument...spring hasn't properly arrived in some parts of the country yet. We had one day about a week or so ago where it got into the low 60s, otherwise, it's been on the cool side here (it's currently in the 40s and cloudy today), and we could see more rain/snow throughout the week. And there's still plenty of areas in the mountains that are getting snow as well, and can get snow up through May. Hell, parts of south central Nebraska recently had a winter storm warning. Yes, eventually spring and warm weather will arrive, but it may come sooner for some areas than others.

And then of course there's the fact that the southern hemisphere is going into their fall/winter months right now. So who knows how that'll affect the outbreak down there.

Good post in genera, especially your points about the EU and the issues it's facing in relation to all of this. There's a lot of interesting and concerning ripple effects from this that I don't think people have really even considered yet.

I hope all turns out okay for you with the testing .
Old 03-16-2020, 05:34 PM   #500
Blue Crack Addict

Made it home and it's pretty much the same situation that we're seeing everywhere else.
Island-wide lockdown for residents until March 31st and a 9 PM to 5 AM curfew. Everything canceled.
We're still at 5 confirmed cases but there's still a long way to go.