global pandemic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I read an article in the Atlantic today predicting the US hospital system would soon look like a WW1 battlefield. I get this is serious but come on.

I've seen the FL crowded beach pictures, supposedly it's Spring break college students in Clearwater. And they think it's funny to hashtag boomer killer on Twitter. Not a good look for those doing either.

I don't really know what an independent conservative is, but my woman on my other forum isn't one. Her latest theory is that "they" have tried other things (to get rid of Trump) and it hasn't worked.

I, as one of the aforementioned independent conservatives, only respond when something is worth responding too.

I never said it was fake, I agreed with social distancing, just felt that” tens of thousands may die” a huge overreaction, and still do. I know, what I actually said, factual information , etc is rarely important around here.

But maybe you weren’t talking about me.

An independent conservative is not a Republican. Most Republicans aren’t nearly as conservative as they claim to be

Yeah I read an article in the Atlantic today predicting the US hospital system would soon look like a WW1 battlefield. I get this is serious but come on.

I never said it was fake, I agreed with social distancing, just felt that” tens of thousands may die” a huge overreaction, and still do.

I would just suggest we're looking at a very, very severe situation with hospital capacity and mainly with our senior citizens. Starting in the next few weeks.

I, as one of the aforementioned independent conservatives, only respond when something is worth responding too.

I never said it was fake, I agreed with social distancing, just felt that” tens of thousands may die” a huge overreaction, and still do. I know, what I actually said, factual information , etc is rarely important around here.

But maybe you weren’t talking about me.

An independent conservative is not a Republican. Most Republicans aren’t nearly as conservative as they claim to be

No I wasn't talking about you, and I wasn't talking about the other U2 forum that makes fun of posters here. It's an entirely different forum.

By the time this is over, whenever that is, it is possible that tens of thousands could die. Don't know if you're talking US or worldwide, as you know it is worldwide. When you consider how many can't even get tested yet, and how many are high risk elderly and immunocompromised. Like my Dad, he's both. I care about him and so many people like him. They're people, not numbers. Or pawns for wackadoodle conspiracy theorists. Again, not talking about you. If you read further back you'll see who I was talking about.

Not to mention that Covid 19 could return with a vengeance in the fall, if it ever goes away. And a vaccine is at least a year away.

Last edited:
I’m not sure the “return in the fall” thing is necessarily real. That’s an assumption that it goes away at all, or is impacted by season.

No one caused this virus on purpose. It's a terrible, natural event.

An honest count of the casualties in a heavily populated country like ours, rather than a dishonest count from dark countries like China and Iran, it's going to be really tough. Overwhelmingly tough.

I’m not sure the “return in the fall” thing is necessarily real. That’s an assumption that it goes away at all, or is impacted by season.

I'm not either, it's all just speculation at this point. I said if it ever goes away at all.

All I know for sure is that I can't isolate until May, June, July, or beyond. Won't make it through that.

I never said it was fake, I agreed with social distancing, just felt that” tens of thousands may die” a huge overreaction, and still do.

You called it an overreaction.

Your country is going to be the epicentre very soon. It's a total and complete disaster. LOOK AT THE DATA. Your economy is going to tank harder than you can imagine.

I feel sorry for your citizens who are taking this seriously. They are screwed with the rest of you.

Factually speaking, most scientists estimate that up to 70% of the population will get infected at some point over the next months. Factually speaking, somewhere between 0.5% and 3.4% of people infected die from the disease.

Of course it is possible that Trump just managed to magically halt the spread of the virus in the US, so that a much lower percentage of Americans will get infected. And maybe he even pulled of the stunning feat of only have healthy individuals get infected, so that save for a few freak deaths everyone comes out fine.

So I made a table (feel free to amend with numbers you deem more realistic, grounded in factual information of course) just to show what a factual hysterical overreaction the statement "tens of thousands may die" is.

coronadeathuslgjbo.png

I added the 80% bracket, but that is rather unlikely to happen. From the factual statements I read thus far, it seems widespread consensus that it won't affect more than 70% of the population, as by that point herd immunity has been achieved and the virus will die out before finding further hosts. Also, I'd assume the rate of deaths is more likely to remain below three percent, save for a total collapse of the health system in which people just die because treatment is entirely unavailable.

According to this page Italy has a death rate of almost 8%. However, there's a caveat to it: In Italy, every person who contracted Covid-19 and dies will be counted, i.e. even people with other serious health issues in which Covid-19 likely was only an accelerator or fatal complication.
Germany, for example, only counts those people whose death is directly attributed to the Covid-19 infection. I.e. people with other severe conditions often do not get counted.
I don't know which criteria countries such as China or Iran are using, so it's difficult to make comparisons between any two countries.

No one caused this virus on purpose. It's a terrible, natural event.

An honest count of the casualties in a heavily populated country like ours, rather than a dishonest count from dark countries like China and Iran, it's going to be really tough. Overwhelmingly tough.

Aw, this is cute.

Based on those calculations, and considering a number of caveats, Burke calculated that the two months of cleaner air resulting from the coronavirus restrictions has saved the lives of between 1,400 and 4,000 children under 5, and 51,700 to 73,000 adults over 70 in China.

He said that while the cleaner air had likely saved lives, the broader disruption caused by Covid-19 could cause many additional deaths not directly attributable to being infected with the virus -- for example because of declines in economic well-being or the difficulty in accessing health services during the epidemic.
"Does this mean pandemics are good for health? No," he said. "Instead it means that the way our economies operate absent pandemics has massive hidden health costs, and it takes a pandemic to help see that."

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/17/health/china-air-pollution-coronavirus-deaths-intl/index.html

We closed the border. Thank the Lord. Americans are not taking this seriously on the whole.

CNN just showed aerial video footage of a crowded beach in Florida from a Florida news station. WFLA. So that's a real thing, unless people think it's old video.

Don't understand why beaches aren't closed there. Because tourist dollars are more important than flattening the curve and human lives? Yes tourism is their economy, but the economy has tanked everywhere. What makes them more special?

CNN just showed aerial video footage of a crowded beach in Florida from a Florida news station. WFLA. So that's a real thing, unless people think it's old video.

Don't understand why beaches aren't closed there. Because tourist dollars are more important than flattening the curve and human lives? Yes tourism is their economy, but the economy has tanked everywhere. What makes them more special?

It’s hard to say what video but yes there has been video (aerial at that) that’s been stamped and reused from March 14th.

Again I’m not discounting that it’s appropriate, and I’m not even suggesting it’s not still happening. It sure seems like it is.

What I am suggesting is that this type of news is intentionally misleading you to anger you as a function of clickbait$$$.

If you want to know the answer about the beaches, it probably has nothing to do with tourism and everything to do with Governor Desantis not having ordered a state of emergency / forced any closures.

It’s hard to say what video but yes there has been video (aerial at that) that’s been stamped and reused from March 14th.

Again I’m not discounting that it’s appropriate, and I’m not even suggesting it’s not still happening. It sure seems like it is.

What I am suggesting is that this type of news is intentionally misleading you to anger you as a function of clickbait$$$.

If you want to know the answer about the beaches, it probably has nothing to do with tourism and everything to do with Governor Desantis not having ordered a state of emergency / forced any closures.

No difference between March 14th and March 18th. Or March pick a day. Crowds of people shouldn't be on beaches, no matter how selfish and oblivious they may be. It's time to believe this stuff and behave accordingly.

US Surgeon General says assume you're infected and behave accordingly. How I behave affects the health of others. That's the reality.

The selfishness of so many people who are not following this advice is astounding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom