global pandemic - Page 17 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2020, 08:41 AM   #321
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post

The Celtics are self quarantined, they played Utah last Friday. I hate to say it but I think many of their players would test positive.
Enes Kanter should be safe, with the way he defends, no chance he came in contact with Gobert.

Old 03-12-2020, 08:46 AM   #322
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
Enes Kanter should be safe, with the way he defends, no chance he came in contact with Gobert.
Oops....

Someone on tv last night said that basketball players "exchange bodily fluids". Obviously I know what they were trying to convey, but I think that's an example of leaving those descriptions to doctors and scientists.

Old 03-12-2020, 08:49 AM   #323
Blue Crack Distributor

All teams that played the within 5 days are self quarantined. They're trying to figure out if the teams that played the teams in the last 5 days should be as well, whether staff that has been in contact with players outside of Utah should be, etc etc.

It's a mess, a mess we should have been prepared for, and all leagues/games whatever should.be cancelled until we figure it out, flatten the curve.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:59 AM   #324
Blue Crack Distributor

We should all be marching on the white house with pitch forks... in small groups of under 250 people at a time
Old 03-12-2020, 09:05 AM   #325
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:50 AM
I hope Bono is ok
Old 03-12-2020, 09:23 AM   #326
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
Someone's gotta say it, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
I hope Bono is ok
There it is!
Old 03-12-2020, 09:33 AM   #327
Blue Crack Addict

My family member, who went to the ER with sudden pneumonia after difficulty breathing, is young. He has been denied coronavirus testing at every location he asked because there are not enough kits. Nobody documented him as a suspected or potentiel case, that he’s aware of.
Old 03-12-2020, 09:43 AM   #328
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
My family member, who went to the ER with sudden pneumonia after difficulty breathing, is young. He has been denied coronavirus testing at every location he asked because there are not enough kits. Nobody documented him as a suspected or potentiel case, that he’s aware of.
I think right now the lack of kits and access to testing is the number one problem. Our govt wants to act as if it's not a problem, as far as I can tell.

A childhood friend of my Mom is in her 80's and has pneumonia and the daughter she lives with has it too. They went to a walk in place and were given that diagnosis and told to see their doctors.

This woman had pneumonia a couple of months ago. She has diabetes and other serious health
issues. I asked her if she was tested for coronavirus and she said no. I'm just so worried about her. She puts everyone else before herself, she's more worried about her SIL who has cancer.

I don't want to frighten her but she needs to be tested and I'm powerless to do anything about it.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:03 AM   #329
Blue Crack Addict

The Hill.com

The country's top immigration judge issued and then reversed an order for immigration courts to take down coronavirus public service announcement posters issued by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the Miami Herald reported.

The initial order, issued Monday by acting Chief Immigration Judge Christopher Santoro in an email to judges and staff, reportedly read in part, "Per our leadership, the CDC flyer is not authorized for posting in the immigration courts. If you see one (attached), please remove it. Thank you."

The flyers explain, in English and Spanish, the proper CDC-approved procedures to minimize microbial contamination.

Immigration judges are employees of the Department of Justice (DOJ) through the Executive Office for Immigration Review (EOIR).

According to the Herald, a DOJ spokesman contacted the newspaper four hours after the story's publication to say, "the signs shouldn't have been removed. It's now being rectified."

EOIR did not immediately return a request for comment on this story.

The National Association of Immigration Judges (NAIJ) - the union that represents immigration judges - took to Twitter Monday to denounce the EOIR action.

The NAIJ Twitter account said the association "had recommended to immigration judges that they post in courthouses the English and Spanish language versions of the CDC's 'Stop the Spread of Germs' and 'Symptoms of Coronavirus Disease 2019' posters."

The order, and its rescission, comes in the wake of complaints from Democrats and immigration activists that Trump administration immigration policies could increase the risk for transmission of infectious disease, including coronavirus.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:20 AM   #330
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
There it is!
it needed to be said, dude is old and frail now.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:27 AM   #331
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevated_u2_fan View Post
it needed to be said, dude is old and frail now.

Old, yes. Frail? Not if the waffle bar has anything to say about it
Old 03-12-2020, 10:56 AM   #332
Blue Crack Distributor

Donovan Mitchell has tested positive
Old 03-12-2020, 11:09 AM   #333
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Donovan Mitchell has tested positive

Imagine it’s 1985 and you are a gay man in NYC and these are the names of your close friends.

Imagine that the words “tested positive” was a death sentence. A likely messy, painful death.

Now imagine some people being happy about it, and imagine the administration literally laughing about it.

https://www.vox.com/2015/12/1/982834...eagan-hiv-aids
Old 03-12-2020, 12:19 PM   #334
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:50 PM
Quote:

The entire country of Norway is 'shutting down'

JONATHAN NACKSTRAND/AFP via Getty Images

If you think things have gotten bad in the United States — where St. Patricks Day parades have been canceled, and the NBA is suspended for the rest of the season — just wait until you hear about Norway. Starting Thursday, the small Nordic country announced "measures that will be the most extensive Norway's population has experienced in peacetime," and which involve practically shutting down the entire country in order to slow the spread of the new coronavirus, Norwegian Minister of Health and Care Services Bent Høie told the national broadcaster, NRK.
In addition to kindergartens, child care facilities, schools, and universities closing nationwide, and a ban on both professional and amateur sports — measures that have been taken only regionally so far in the U.S. — the entire country of Norway is also requiring all hairdressers, massage clinics, gyms, and tattoo parlors to close, Life in Norway and Swedish journalist Peter Imanuelsen report based off the announcement on NRK. Cultural events are also banned, with museums, pools, and libraries additionally closing. While grocery stores will remain open, restaurants, bars, pubs, and nightclubs are required to close if they can't guarantee a three-foot distance between patrons. Buffets, naturally, are banned.
Additionally, everyone entering Norway from anywhere other than another Nordic country will be required to be home-quarantined, regardless of symptoms — one of the most drastic measures taken in Europe so far. Healthcare professionals are no longer allowed to travel abroad, and the country is encouraging its citizens traveling abroad to return home at once.

Oslo-based Twitter user Cathrine Wilhelmsen emphasized that "Norway is shutting down … this is serious." The country faces one of the worst outbreaks in Europe, with some 632 positive cases as of Thursday morning. "It is extremely important that people follow this advice," Norwegian Prime Minister Erna Solberg said. "To be able to curb this, we need everyone to come together." Jeva Lange
This is a world wide event. All government leaders will decide for themselves what they do.
As time passes it will be easier to look back and more objectively judge how well they did.

The best thing for all of us, is for people that are sick to stay home. If we did this, the tens of thousands of Influenza A deaths each year would be a lot less. We could cut the incidents of the common colds from spreading.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:12 PM   #335
Blue Crack Supplier

An article from a talented AP writer in Italy (full disclosure its my first cousin) about how life has transformed there as the virus progressed....possibly a sign of things to come in other countries but hopefully not...

https://apnews.com/70fbbbae2adf2e0e070170f0033149b1
Quote:
Italy’s lockdown reshapes family life in time of coronavirus
By COLLEEN BARRY
yesterday

SOAVE, Italy (AP) — Italian Premier Giuseppe Conte’s decision to lock down the entire country brought some welcome clarity to my family life after weeks of growing uncertainty about how to behave in a time of coronavirus.

I live that stereotype of the multi-generational Italian family, next door to in-laws, both over 80 and suffering from a collection of non-debilitating ailments common for their age. I also live with two teenagers, one of whom in particular has chafed against any suggestion that his social life should be curtailed just when the virus has freed him from that age-old adolescent burden: school.

So as I continued to commute to my job as an Associated Press correspondent based in Milan, the capital of Lombardy, from a small town in neighboring Veneto, the virus seemed both near and far.
Near, because the two regions were quickly identified as hot spots with growing numbers of infections and two so-called red zones — but far, because no one we knew was sick, and many of the restrictions were still theoretical. They boiled down to frequent hand-washing.

Virus fear escalated in mid-February as I covered Milan Fashion Week, shoulder-to-shoulder with fashion types from all over the globe, and where the closing show by Giorgio Armani was streamed without an audience as a precaution. But the closest cluster — not yet a red zone — was still an hour away.

As the first restrictions took effect in Veneto and Lombardy — closing schools, museums, cinemas and bars after 6 p.m. — we scoffed at the reactive panic shopping. What were people doing with all that toilet paper? We had flour and pasta aplenty at home. And who needs a shopping cart full of bottled water? The taps weren’t being turned off.
The first day of the new measures was supposed to be the start of a three-day family break for Carnival in Nice, on the coast in neighboring France. But our sociable son woke up with a fever and stomach flu symptoms, and we decided it was better not to chance crossing the border as Italy became a focal point in coronavirus coverage.
Normally we would have gone, stomach flu or not, and instructed the teen to sleep in the car, reasoning that the sea air would do him good. The painful decision to cancel seemed particularly wise after hearing reports of Italian cars being stopped in France for temperature checks. Imagine being found out transporting a feverish 16-year-old: the personal horror, the probable headlines

Back at work, I wrote about social distancing, about how Italians’ habit of kissing could be part of the problem, before the 1-meter (yard) distancing rule started to gain currency. At home, we began a weeks-long struggle to impress upon invincible youth how vulnerable the elderly are to the virus.
I compensated for our dashed holiday by taking my daughter spring clothes shopping in teen-focused stores where we no longer had to queue for dressing rooms. We ate out in empty restaurants. We had facials. We had to order ice cream at a table, not at the counter. It was the same when we wanted a quick refreshment after 6 p.m. — sit at a table, don’t just stand at the bar.
Cities were empty, parking places too easy to find, but we didn’t feel particularly discouraged to be out. In fact, a hashtag began to circulate: #milanononsiferma, or #milandoesntstop. By being out -- as long as we washed our hands frequently -- we were doing our civic duty.

Then virus cases skyrocketed, with Italy registering the most infections outside of China. My in-laws stopped going to the grocery store, instead ordering online. And they stopped kissing their grandchildren every morning and evening, as has been their habit.
Finally, my children got remote homework assignments, and teachers started organizing video classes — even if the app sometimes failed. The notion of a holiday was over.

Then this past weekend, we saw the red zone expand from two distant dots on the map — east and west — to provinces just 30 minutes each direction. A Sunday family dinner with my kids’ four cousins -- who are also going stir-crazy with no school — was canceled by the new travel ban out of Lombardy.
Also scratched were my plans to hop over on a free day and see Venice in its newfound quiet after a hotel owner with zero rooms booked because of the virus described the glassy surface of the Grand Canal absent boats transporting Venetians and their wares.
Finally, on Monday evening, the red ink of the restricted travel zone soaked through the entire map of Italy, which had become one big hot spot. The same day, the first confirmed case was announced on Facebook by the mayor of our town. Suddenly, the virus was just near. And Conte declared the new Italian motto: ’’I stay at home.″
When I told my son, standing at his Playstation, about the national lockdown until April 3, he looked dejected. ’’How many days is that? What am I going to do for a month?” But for the first time in three weeks, he accepted he couldn’t go out that night.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:30 PM   #336
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
Imagine it’s 1985 and you are a gay man in NYC and these are the names of your close friends.

Imagine that the words “tested positive” was a death sentence. A likely messy, painful death.

Now imagine some people being happy about it, and imagine the administration literally laughing about it.

https://www.vox.com/2015/12/1/982834...eagan-hiv-aids

It's concerning how few people know about this, or, with younger people, about HIV/AIDS at all. It came up with my younger high school students a few weeks ago, and the questions they were asking suggested they had never even heard of it.

I saw an exhibition in New York City a few years back by a photojournalist who had documented the 80s AIDS crisis there. It was one of the most harrowing things I have ever seen.
Old 03-12-2020, 02:24 PM   #337
Blue Crack Supplier

i'm being told that Broadway is going dark for a month at 5pm.
Old 03-12-2020, 02:44 PM   #338
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
i'm being told that Broadway is going dark for a month at 5pm.
Always knew Billy Joel was a soothsayer.
Old 03-12-2020, 02:53 PM   #339
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 08:50 PM
I work at a large state university. As of a few days ago they were "monitoring the situation" and asked faculty to start preparing to teach their classes remotely. The chancellor just sent out an email, stating that next week's classes are cancelled. The following week is spring break. After spring break, all classes will be taught remotely for the rest of the semester. The campus will remain open, but they're asking all out-of-state students to return home if possible.

I'm the piano technician for the school of music - have no idea if recitals will be cancelled or not (most student recitals are well under 50 people in attendance, if not half that), or how they're going to handle finals for music majors (which typically require performing pieces in front of a faculty jury) if they're also asking out-of-state residents to return home. I also tune for a performing arts center attached to campus that hosts broadway productions and big name artists regularly, and a few days ago they sent out an email saying they had no plans to cancel performances, but I imagine that might change now that the campus is taking drastic measures. Thankfully they're not shutting down the campus, otherwise I'd be unable to work and would eat through sick/vacation time pretty quickly.
Old 03-12-2020, 03:03 PM   #340
Blue Crack Addict

Click image for larger version

Name:	ES7N14pWAAE2ZUw.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	12431