Global Action for Children Action Alert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katey

War Child
This only takes a minute and as they say.. how simple can it get.This is very important it takes a moment of your time but it helps to save thousands of lives .. I hope you all will take the time
Thanks..
K

PLEASE CIRCULATE WIDELY TO ALL LISTSERVES
Global Action for Children Action Alert
Act Now! Urge Congress Pass HR 4061!
This has been a very exciting week at Global Action for Children! A bill has been introduced in Congress to help AIDS orphans. It's truly a landmark initiative for compassion for orphans and vulnerable children in developing countries. Republicans as well as Democrats are backing the bill. The bill has now passed the first of many hurdles and is gathering momentum!
Why is this important? This bill is an inital step towards getting kids the education they need as well as medical care and community-based care. The bill (HR 4061) now needs your support!!
HELP OUT VULNERABLE KIDS AND AIDS ORPHANS! SEND A SIMPLE EMAIL AND MAKE A PHONE CALL (how simple can this get?) HIT CONTROL & CLICK HERE TO JOIN ACTION NETWORK:
http://action.globalactionforchildren.org/action/index.asp?step=2&item=16853
Immediate phone calls to your member of the House of Representatives are also really needed. It only takes a minute and you do not have to be an expert! Call 202-224-3121 and ask your member to CO-SPONSOR HR 4061. If your member is a Republican ask them to call Rep. Rohrabacher's office; if a Democrat they should call Rep. Lee.
Time is running out for your Representative to join as an initial co-sponsor. Please let us know how your calls go!
FACT: Every 14 seconds, another child is orphaned by AIDS. Without parents, these children are left without food, shelter, education, and protection. This bill, when fully funded, will do a lot to help these kids.
Stop reading here and take action. :)

=========================================

Okay, now that you have taken action, take a minute to learn more:

The bill:

. Sets up a new way to support countries that eliminate school fees. These fees are a major barrier to education for AIDS orphans, girls and other poor children.

. Requires that most of the funding go to U.S. and local private and voluntary organizations that are working at the community level.

. Helps communities take care of the basic needs of orphans. The bill promotes school nutrition, psychosocial support and protection of the rights of orphans.

. Provides improved coordination of orphans programs to ensure effective oversight of the response.

. Builds in monitoring and evaluation criteria so that taxpayer money will be used in the most effective way to help orphans.

Read more about the bill here:

www.globalactionforchildren.org/latest

Sample letter:

Dear Congressperson X:

Every 14 seconds another child is orphaned by AIDS. With parents dying at an alarming rate, children are left without food, shelter, education, or protection.

I urge you to co-sponsor the Assistance for Orphaned and Vulnerable Children In Developing Countries Act of 2004, HR 4061. This bill has been introduced by Congresswoman Barbara Lee, Congressman Dana Rohrbacher, Congressman Tom Lantos, Congressman Henry Hyde, Congresswoman Betty McCollum, and Congressman James Leach. It passed the House Committee on International Relations by unanimous vote.

This bill would provide basic care and support for orphans, expand educational opportunity for orphans, bring the hope of treatment to orphans, and ensure accountability of programs for orphans.

I also ask that you help ensure Congressional appropriators direct 10% of global AIDS funding to programs that help orphans and vulnerable children, provide $250 million should go towards a new basic education incentive fund to be housed at UNICEF, and provide $660 million for Child Survival programs and $130 million for UNICEF.

Please let me know your position on this critical piece of legislation.

MORE STEPS YOU CAN TAKE TO HELP MAKE THIS BILL A REALITY:

Congress is now on recess and your member may be holding local public meetings -- call your Representative's office for info. Drop by the local office of your Representative to let staff know how important this is to you.

IMPORTANT: This bill cannot by itself deliver the funding that's needed. That's handled at the next stage, called "Appropriations." So, if your member of the House or Senate is on the Appropriations Committee please urge he or she include the following foreign aid priorities in their "wish list" letter. That's a letter to the Foreign Operations Subcommittee of Appropriations due on April 15. Each member of the Appropriations Committee can send a "wish list" letter outlining his or her priorities for foreign aid to the key decision-makers on the House appropriations subcommittees:

-- 10% of global AIDS funding should go to programs that help orphans and vulnerable children

-- $250 million should go towards a new basic education incentive fund to be housed at UNICEF to support countries to eliminate primary school fees so that millions more children, especially girls, AIDS orphans and other very poor and vulnerable children can attend school

-- $660 million for Child Survival programs and $130 million for UNICEF.

The list of members of the Appropriations Committees is here:

http://appropriations.house.gov/
http://appropriations.senate.gov/

If your Representative or Senators are NOT on the Appropriations Committees please ask him or her to call and write the heads of the foreign operations subcommittees to emphasize these priorities.

Katey, you are an angel! I just e-mailed a letter to my representative! Thank you for taking the time to post the above info.

Take care and I hope we chat again, very soon.

Maeve

She sure is! :) :angel: And if you just emailed your rep. you are to! Congrats! :dance: If you'd like, I'll add you to the list of Bono's Angels! (See the link in my sig!)

Who's next guys? Who else will take the time to write or call? Let's get this DONE! Let's make sure they know we know....

:angel: :mac:

SD

Oh, and welcome! Haven't see ya in FYM before.

I just had to pass this on. I e-mail my representative this morning and this afternoon I recieved an e-mail from him. Where he thanks me for getting envolved and that he also supports the bill. He also said so far he has received over 300 e-mails, phone calls and letters. (Not from me). I live in the state of Maryland. So for anyone out there who may think that politicans don't want your input. Take it from me, they do. Make your voice known!

Ps. Sherry I would consider it to be an honor to be a part of Bono's angels!

that is brilliant.. and yes politicians do listen indeed.. thanks so much for getting your letter off..I'm glad you have a reponse back

Maeve said:
I just had to pass this on. I e-mail my representative this morning and this afternoon I recieved an e-mail from him. Where he thanks me for getting envolved and that he also supports the bill. He also said so far he has received over 300 e-mails, phone calls and letters. (Not from me). I live in the state of Maryland. So for anyone out there who may think that politicans don't want your input. Take it from me, they do. Make your voice known!

Ps. Sherry I would consider it to be an honor to be a part of Bono's angels!

Welcome, then! :) Would you PM me? I'm in VA and I serve as teh coordinator of Jubilee National Capitol Area (Jubilee works to ge the debt dropped.) I'd love to chat about this huge response in MD! That's great news!

Cheryl :)

Back
Top Bottom