Giving to Charities

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiny dancer

Blue Crack Distributor
Just wondering if anyone here makes a donation to a national or local Charity during the Christmas Season.

I give to my local Salavation Army every Christmas. They have what's called the Christmas Angel Program,where you take an angel tag off of a Christmas tree located in over 40 differnet stores and churches. On the tag is listed the first name of the person, and it tells you what they want as a present. It can be from a infant and goes up to a senior citizen. The tag tells you the first name, age and what size of clothing that they wear. I always take a senior citizen, for they tend to be looked over. They usually list more than one thing. Those tags that are not taken, the Salavation Army will buy them what they asked for. One year I got an 80 year old lady and all that she wanted was yarn, stamps, and some note cards. This year the tag that I took was a 78 year old woman asking for for some flannel PJ's, a jogging suit and some cologne. I like giving this way because I know that it is going locally, and that they will be getting a gift for sure on Christmas Day. These are very needly people who must be really down and out to meet the criteria to receive any gifts. I have been doing this going on now for over 10 years. It's the one part of Christmas shopping that I look forward to doing, for I it makes me feel good that I can help someone out, who will not be getting any kind of Christmas, what so ever.

That's so great&thoughtful of you Tiny! :love:

I wish there were more thoughtful&kind people out there :yes:

Giving (money/time/donations) is a lovely idea all year round also.

That's awesome, tiny dancer! I support The Salvation Army as well. I've done a lot of stories on our local corps and I know the red kettle drive brings in the vast majority of their operating budget. We're talking about 90 percent. I'm sure it's the same in other places.

My wife and I also ring bells for The Salvation Army. It's a boat load of fun. And, think of this. It's great if you give them money. We all should give what we can, I believe. However, ringing bells for even two hours can do even more. If certain time slots aren't filled at their bell ringing locations, then they obviously can't get anything. It's a great family tradition, too.

I just gave money to Heifer International. Basically I bought a sheep, some chickens, some trees to be planted and some ducks. They give the animals to families and teach them the husbandry of the animal and in return the family gives the first born of the animal to another family. It's very cool. I also like Oxfam.

MissMoo said:
I also like Oxfam.

So do I. They're one of the charities I support all year around. I ran into them on the Internet when they did their "Catch the Celebrity" campaign and Bono was involved, not surprisingly. I have one of their t-shirts that I wear to protest rallies. I also donate to the Salvation Army. They're cool.

i am lucky if i see one homeless or
street person a week

so i just give straight to the source

last time
i didn't have any ones
so i gave him a 5 dollar bill

as i drove away
i saw him head straight for the liquor store.

My kids pick out gifts from the Samaritans Purse Gift catalog.
The NYC Coat drive
Shoe Boxes for needy children to send overseas through Samaritans Purse
Toys for Tots
The local animal shelter. (we send in food and used blankets)
Other shoe boxes to send to the soldiers in Iraq.
We also sponsor 2 children from Africa that we send extra donations for.

deep said:
last time
i didn't have any ones
so i gave him a 5 dollar bill

as i drove away
i saw him head straight for the liquor store.

Is the goodness of your act predicated or contingent on how your act is received?

We always donate gifts to our local department stores who give them to the women and children's shelter and the salvos. This year I got a 4 yr old boy (He got a puzzle book, colouring in pencils, a football and a t-shirt) and a 12 yr old girl (Her present has a journal, some nice pens, a book on horses (it had horses under her interests) a saddle club t-shirt)

I hope they have a lovely xmas!

anitram said:

Is the goodness of your act predicated or contingent on how your act is received?

not to mention that a sum of something in the region of 80% of people who are homeless suffer schizophrenia, and have alcohol and other drug dependancies.

I've donated every year since I've had my job. I'm not so sure if I can do it this time around since I'll be laid off next month and I'll need to keep my savings. It's really depressing me but there's not much I can do.

I think Deep was being ironic, in so far as, perhaps he's saying, that's what he was gonna spend the money on (ie. liquor).

Myself, I've donated once or twice, I usually refuse though as I cannot afford it and am one step (a half step really) removed from being a recipient of said charity.

anitram said:

i don't know what is good or not good

i just knew it was wrong for me to walk by a man sitting, dirty on the sidewalk
as I went to buy my second donut and coffee of the day

i have more money than I ever thought i would have

all of the money I have ever received came to me with no conditions on it

i spend it wisely or foolishly
as i so desire

what this poor man did with the 5 bucks
was none of my business once I let go of it

if he bought beer or lotto tickets,
that is his business
if it gave him some momentary pleasure,
well, then god bless him
he is more deserving than ameirica

I sponsor a community through Save The Children, and always give to the Salvation Army/Animal Welfare League/RSPCA.
There are so many charities that are worthy of my dollar, it's difficult to decide where to put your money - I'd love to help all of them, but of course that's impossible.

Back
Top Bottom