Giuliani for President, 2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Giuliani could be quite good. I really liked it when he gave the Saui prince back his 10 million dollars of "9/11 sympathy money" after the Prince said that the attacks were the fault of US Foreign Policy :up:.

Rudy kicked butt! This first night of the convention has been so fantastic I hope this momentum can be maintained!

rudy was a democrat who switched over to republican before he ran for mayor... he ran for mayor against david dinkins and lost... dinkins then went on to drive the city further into the ground, and in 1993 rudy ran against him again and defeated him. he took unpopular stances with street vendors and nudie bars, forcing them for the most part out of large tourist areas of the city, clearing the way for businesses such as disney to invest into times square. he increased the size of the nypd, and in his 8 years in office crime plummeted by over 57%. new york went from the most dangerous large city to the safest large city under his watch.

Last edited:
Rudy's great, but of course I disagreed with some of what he said last night. I went to his book signing and I'm proud to have the book.

He needs to come back to the party he really belongs to and all will be good again :D

Oh I think he is right where he is.

Speaking of turncoats Ed Koch is also pro-Bush - he thinks that the Democrats are not serious on national securty, judging by the speakers at the DNC and hosting Michael Moore with such position he's probably right.

Why have I endorsed George W. Bush when I don't agree with him on a single domestic issue? Because I believe the issue of international terrorism trumps all other issues. I don't believe the Democratic Party has the stomach and commitment to deliver on this issue.
I found it both interesting and disturbing that Kerry omitted any reference to Israel during his acceptance speech at the Democratic convention. To his credit, vice presidential candidate John Edwards thought it important to mention the need to protect the security of the State of Israel. I am convinced that President Bush will never trade Israel's special relationship with the U.S. in exchange for political support, be it domestic or international. I doubt that John Kerry and the "Deaniacs" who now embrace him would have the same resolve.
Somebody who speaks his mind and takes an unpopular postition, I think that deserves more respect than any pissant like Moore who will pander to his audience for a quick buck and the satisfaction of narsicism.

Last edited:
I'm sure New York is very proud of this guy. Those of us who are not New Yorkers mainly have fond memories of the guy leading us all after 9/11. I was glued to the TV and he was fantastic.

I like Rudy too. Dinkins was horrible.

He would make a great candidate, but I am not sure if he would win the Republican nomination...he is a little far left of the "ideal conservative."

The REAL battle for the presidency starts November 3rd. Giddy up!

Hillary-Clinton_web.jpg

Mayor Guilani's conduct during and after 9/11 was absolutely exceptional, and I daresay exemplary, at least, thats what the media in Europe always seems to say about it. While Bush has received a great amount of criticism, Guilani really does seem to have been given the kudos when it came to 9/11, and it does appear to me that such are well-deserved. Any man who can half the crime rate in my city gets my vote.

However, philosophically and politically, I don't think I would vote for him for president. As tempting as it is, at the end of the day, everytime he has made a speech concerning the re-election of Bush, I have almost entirely disagreed with him on every issue. I also read his biography, which was informative and lead me to a single conclusion; Great leader, pity he's a Republican.

He's a good example of Churchill's calibre, a man who was awe-inspiring and incredibly effective as a leader for Britain in its most desperate time, but was, unfortunately, a terror when it came to domestic matters. (Not wishing to sound as if I'm demonizing one of our strongest leaders, anyone who doesn't know what Churchill did when there wasn't a war going on should read up on it. I for one don't agree with much of what he did).

Mr. Guilani is cool, and would be a far cry from Mr. Bush, but my vote would go for Clinton.

Ant.

he seems a compassionate and intelligent man to me

I have no idea what he stands for but at least he would get the benefit of the doubt unless he gives reasons why not to

Anthony said:
Mayor Guilani's conduct during and after 9/11 was absolutely exceptional, and I daresay exemplary, at least, thats what the media in Europe always seems to say about it. While Bush has received a great amount of criticism, Guilani really does seem to have been given the kudos when it came to 9/11, and it does appear to me that such are well-deserved. Any man who can half the crime rate in my city gets my vote.

However, philosophically and politically, I don't think I would vote for him for president. As tempting as it is, at the end of the day, everytime he has made a speech concerning the re-election of Bush, I have almost entirely disagreed with him on every issue. I also read his biography, which was informative and lead me to a single conclusion; Great leader, pity he's a Republican.

He's a good example of Churchill's calibre, a man who was awe-inspiring and incredibly effective as a leader for Britain in its most desperate time, but was, unfortunately, a terror when it came to domestic matters. (Not wishing to sound as if I'm demonizing one of our strongest leaders, anyone who doesn't know what Churchill did when there wasn't a war going on should read up on it. I for one don't agree with much of what he did).

Mr. Guilani is cool, and would be a far cry from Mr. Bush, but my vote would go for Clinton.

Ant.

U c, this is the kind of thinking that I don't understand...He'd b a gr8 leader, but 2 bad he's a republican? I can't stand this kind of talk from either the left or the right....if U believe the person would b gr8 in office, vote 4 them...I must drive my local authorities crazy bcuz I can't b pinned down 2 a certain ideology or party. I'll admit I tend 2 have a more conservative view, but if I believed a Democrat would b better, I'd vote 4 them, and I have in the past...

But then again, we're all entitled 2 r opinion....I just wish people were more open minded.

A Giuliani-McCain ticket, regardless of which candidate is Prez candidate, is what I'd like 2 c in '08.

I am really sorry. I really can't take someone serious when they can't even write out full words. You lose any and all credibility in my book.

I mean, I have a ton of respect for those who are from non-english speaking countries who post intelligent things here (and RARELY have problems with grammar)...but when I see someone posting "U c," and "entitled 2 r opinion" and then see that they are from America...I KNOW our country has problems.

zoney! said:
I am really sorry. I really can't take someone serious when they can't even write out full words. You lose any and all credibility in my book.

I mean, I have a ton of respect for those who are from non-english speaking countries who post intelligent things here (and RARELY have problems with grammar)...but when I see someone posting "U c," and "entitled 2 r opinion" and then see that they are from America...I KNOW our country has problems.

I think it takes some practice to abbreviate like that. :D I'd rather see everything typed out too, but I think it's unfair of you to knock The Disciple's character.

Just to jump in quickly...

The Disciple: You may find that you are taken more seriously if you take the rest of us seriously enough to compose your posts in standard English. Zoney does make one good point: we have post-ers for whom English is not a first or even a second language, yet their posts are always very readable.

Zoney: Let's not make a big deal about it. The Disciple may spell however he or she likes, and it is unfair to make assumptions about a person's character based on their spelling in a few posts.

Okay, carry on.

As much as we all may like Rudy, the fact remains that he would never get the nomination in the first place. As was evident by the convention, the platform for the party is controlled by conservatives, most of whom are very right-wing and Christian. Rudy is pro-choice, pro-gay marriage so there is no way conservative groups will support him in the primaries. And in NYC, where he was mayor, there are five registered Democrats for every one registered Republican so there would not be much support for him here during the closed primaries and not much support during the actual election. Not to mention that as much as we remember post-9/11 Rudy, an election is going to be vicious when it comes to how he made this city safer including police shootings of unarmed minorities.

and as much as everyone talks about changing the Constitution so Ah-nold can run for president, his pro-choice and pro-gay marriage stance would also be the end for him.

Anthony said:

He's a good example of Churchill's calibre, a man who was awe-inspiring and incredibly effective as a leader for Britain in its most desperate time, but was, unfortunately, a terror when it came to domestic matters.

I think I might agree with you, Anthony, but I don't know if I have enough information yet. I lived in NYC during much of Guiliani's term and while he was indeed a far cry from Bush, as well as his predecessor the lame Dinkins, and he was of course amazing during 9/11, I was creeped out last year when I returned to NYC and saw how it had changed. Yes, it appears at first glance to have changed for the better. But I still don't know exactly what happened to all the homeless people, for example. Where did they go? Were they shipped off somewhere else? Are they all in homes now? Do they have jobs? It should have been a pleasant experience to stroll through a squeaky clean Grand Central Station but instead it was oddly disturbing. I don't know...maybe a current New Yorker can fill me in. I haven't really followed NYC politics since I left.

hmm...not sure. I moved here four years ago and live in a regentrified section of Brooklyn. Lots of restaurants and families around, etc. to a neighborhood that was once plagued with crime. There are still homeless, I just have a feeling they were pushed out Manhattan and further into the boroughs along with the poorer people of the city.

Give me a moderate President dammit! I'll vote for one. Since I really can't vote for a liberal because the Democrats no longer nominate liberals, a moderate is the best we can do. The current President is too right-wing for me.

Back
Top Bottom