Girl's prom memory is ruined, how sad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2Kitten said:
Being born and raised in places around battlefields where these men died I could tell another side of this, but I won't since I see most of your minds are already made up and I don't want to fight:|

Go for it Kitten. You might bring some insight into why she wanted to wear it in the first place.

*hands Kitty the talking stick*

I do not get why she was not allowed to wear it.....:huh:

I do not get why she asked permission in the first place......

I think she should have just shown up....

Then she would have a case.

I do not understand the obsession with the confederate flag. I'd like to ask her what exactly the confedercy stood for that she loves so much. Anyone I've ever asked that question to has never been able to answer it and it just turns out to be some device to hide their hate.

Dreadsox said:
I do not get why she was not allowed to wear it.....:huh:

I do not get why she asked permission in the first place......

I think she should have just shown up....

Then she would have a case.

I dont get why she asked in the first place, either. I think theres more going on here.

U2Kitten said:
Being born and raised in places around battlefields where these men died I could tell another side of this, but I won't since I see most of your minds are already made up and I don't want to fight:|

I have family in South Carolina and all this talk about Southern Heritage, culture does not wash with me.

Without slavery there would have been no Confederacy.

If I were going to wear a dress.....it would be that one.

Just to piss deep off...lol:wink:

Stupid question, you know Im good at 'em :wink:

What do people normally wear to a prom? Is there an expected standard of dress?

I went to a non government school that was all white gloves, no jewellery, etc. (not that I went to the school dance)

Just wondered if she was supposed to dress in a certain style? Have her shoulders covered? Or something similar?

beli said:
Stupid question, you know Im good at 'em :wink:

What do people normally wear to a prom? Is there an expected standard of dress?

I went to a non government school that was all white gloves, no jewellery, etc. (not that I went to the school dance)

Just wondered if she was supposed to dress in a certain style? Have her shoulders covered? Or something similar?

Depends on the school, but worthless political stances are usually not wanted.

I would pay large amounts of cold hard cash to see dreadsox in this little number:

servlet_com_ebm2_old_xor_productManager_utils_ImageServlet_ID_1331.jpg

Whenever I think of a man in a sparkly dress I think of Divine. Now there was a man :love:

Seriously, Kitty, come back. Please type your thoughts. I want to hear them. :hug:

She will need one some day....

Just preparing myself......

and Angie...for you baby....I would wear it for free!

Last edited:
deep said:
Would you say the same for the Swastika flag?

Yes, actually, I would. Once again, it is just a symbol, and can only mean something to those who let it mean something to them. Besides that, just because you use that symbol in something doesn't automatically mean you're supporting what people think that symbol stands for-U2 used swastikas as part of their ZooTV tour, after all.

Free speech means just that-free speech. For anybody. You would have the right to express your disapproval of someone wearing a swastika, and they'd have the right to wear it. And both of you would be expressing your freedom of speech. So long as nobody is getting hurt or killed, you should be free to do or say whatever the heck you want.

Angela

I went to prom twice in high school, and both times I wore a floor-length sleeveless gown. My junior prom I wore a dress in periwinkle blue with a halter-ish neckline (though not ACTUALLY a halter) and a full skirt...for my senior prom, I had this absolutely GORGEOUS dress with double spaghetti straps in a very pale pearl-grey with silver fleur-de-lis type embroidery. And shimmery strappy silver heels.

Sigh. I loved prom so much.

beli said:
Whenever I think of a man in a sparkly dress I think of Divine. Now there was a man :love:

Seriously, Kitty, come back. Please type your thoughts. I want to hear them. :hug:

Thanks, but I really don't feel like being jumped on tonight. There is more prejudice against the southerners who fought for that flag than there ever was in the south. Minds are made up and closed and all they can see is the villianization that has occured recently. Even in the 80's you could make a TV show (Niorth and South) and have the southern guy be a nice, sympathetic character. Now they all have to be stupid and evil, and I see that stereotype is prevailant on this forum. What upsets me the most is the comparisons to Nazism! There was genocide in the US in the 19th century, but it was againt the native Americans in the west:( No one ever mentions that! And those assholed Sherman and Sheridan who were responsible for burning down homes and terrorizing civilians in the south were mainly responsible for the genocide against the Indians! There were also 'human rights abuses' against the southern civilians, including black girls who were raped by Yankee soldiers. Homes were pillaged, belongings stolen, many burned to the ground, even if the owner was not fighting in the war.

Remember too that 75% of all southerners had no slaves and most did not want them. They fought, like Robert E. Lee, because their homeland was invaded.

Last edited:
beli said:

I just had a thought. What is this woman going to wear to her wedding one day? :crazy:

This is when she is going to wear the sheet... :evil:

usually i'd say guys this is only going to lead to a flame war on pointy hatted folk and ill-treatment of blacks throughout time, but as im not a mod here anymore, i say go for it!

:D

The 'pointy hatted folk' did not exist until AFTER the Civil war ended, during reconstruction when the Yankee troops occupied and oppressed the southerners. The Klan (which I do NOT support or agree with) grew out of this. See, before the war, southerners may have felt black people were not equal to them, but they did not HATE them. That came when the Yankees came down and took the southerners' land by running up taxes, giving congressional spots to former slaves, things that made the southerners hate and resent the blacks. That was not good, but what the yanks did was not good either. Ironically, it was because Lincoln died that this happened. He did not want any retribution taken against the South, if he had lived, there would not have been the hard feelings there ended up being. There was also hard feelings between 'yanks' and southerners that lasted into my lifetime. It was a brutal, bitter war, and went much beyond the slave issue no matter what most of you want to believe. Blacks also suffered as a result of all this. The way the slave population was just THROWN OUT to be 'free' after the war led to the tragic poverty of many blacks in the inner cities and the countryside. If slavery had ended a different way it would have been much better on everyone, the former slaves would have been incorporated into society without so much resentment (it was already happening before the war) The saddest thing is, with the coming of farm machinery in the 1880's slavery would have become outmoded and phased out on its own, but the war cost 628,000 American lives on both sides, and countless lives of blacks and whites ruined and disrupted. What a shame it all was.

Remember that only 15% of Southerners fit the plantation stereotype. 10% had a small number of slaves that usually lived in the house and were treated like family. 75% owned NO SLAVES at all. The poor whites were often considered lower down than the slaves of rich white men in some places in the south before the war.

Last edited:
Angela Harlem said:
usually i'd say guys this is only going to lead to a flame war on pointy hatted folk and ill-treatment of blacks throughout time, but as im not a mod here anymore, i say go for it!

:D

Ha! Nah, we're just going to rip apart a stupid chick, with exceedingly poor fashion sense. No worries here. :wink:

U2Kitten said:
See, before the war, southerners may have felt black people were not equal to them, but they did not HATE them.

They didn't have to hate them...blacks were owned, doesn't matter if only a small percentage of people owned slaves, most blacks were owned. You don't need to hate property.

indra said:

They didn't have to hate them...blacks were owned, doesn't matter if only a small percentage of people owned slaves, most blacks were owned. You don't need to hate property.

They don't KILL property either, it's not good for business. That's another thing, the anti slavery movement was largely spread by "Uncle Tom's Cabin" which told of abuse, but how widespread was it? I believe most slaves were not abused, because it just didn't make sense to damage your own 'property.' You won't get much work out of them then! I believe the same type if asshole who beat his slaves is the same type of ass who beats his wife, kids and dog today. And don't they run away? See? The only slaves who the northerners heard from were the abused ones, the ones who ran away to tell the tale, just like battered women in a shelter today. They may have been very isolated cases, but they were the ones who were heard, there was no 20/20 to go investigate, and the entire south was villianized. While of course slavery was wrong and owning a person is wrong, the abuse was likely exaggerated by activists.

Back
Top Bottom