Georgia Third Graders' Revenge Plot Against Teacher

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
I have to believe kids that age can't even grasp the reality of that and it is a complete fantasy to them. It's still so disturbing. How should they be punished/rehabilitated? And why are kids that age carrying out that type of fantasy in such an elaborate way, and with weapons?

WAYCROSS, Georgia (AP) -- Allegations that third-graders hatched an elaborate plot to knock out, handcuff and stab their teacher were met with shock by neighbors and with doubt by psychiatry experts who said it is unlikely that children that young seriously intended to hurt anyone.

Police say the plot at Center Elementary School began because the children, ages 8 to 10, were apparently angry after the teacher disciplined one of the students for standing on a chair.

Students brought a crystal paperweight, a steak knife with a broken handle, steel handcuffs and other items as part of last week's plot, police said Tuesday. They said nine students were involved, but prosecutors are seeking juvenile charges against only three of them.

Experts said children that age are certainly imaginative and capable of creating elaborate games. But Dr. Louis Kraus, a child psychiatry expert at Rush University Medical Center in Chicago, said he doubts they would have actually attacked.

"The reality is it is highly unlikely they would have been successful at this," Kraus said. "Even if it had begun, it's unclear whether they actually would have followed through with it."

Most premeditated acts of student violence in schools usually don't occur until high school, Kraus said. Younger children have been known to bring knives or other weapons to school, experts said, but often it's more a matter of showing off or acting tough than part of a deliberate assault attempt.

Police said the plot had been organized enough that some students were assigned specific roles such as covering classroom windows and cleaning up any mess.

Most children under the age of 12 don't generally experience the kind of long-standing anger necessary for a premeditated crime, said Dan Mears, an associate professor at Florida State University's College of Criminology and Criminal Justice.

"Kids tend to be more spontaneous," Mears said. "If they're angry, they act on it right then."

The district attorney is seeking juvenile charges of conspiracy to commit aggravated assault against an 8-year-old boy and two girls, ages 9 and 10. The girls are also charged with bringing weapons to school.

News of the alleged plot spread quickly through this small south Georgia city on the northern edge of the Okefenokee Swamp, where residents are preparing for their annual SwampFest celebration this weekend.

"They were so young, I just couldn't believe it," said Euleathia Harris, 50, who lives in a public housing complex near the school. "I wouldn't think anything like that would happen in little ol' Waycross. I guess if it can happen in the big cities, it can happen here."

Police Chief Tony Tanner said the plot unraveled when a student reported to school officials Friday that a classmate had a knife in her backpack.

School officials say they punished all nine students, and some received long-term suspension, but they would not be more specific. Under school system rules, children who bring weapons to school may also face expulsion.

Tanner and District Attorney Rick Currie did not immediately return calls seeking comment Wednesday.

Shavette Owens, whose 7- and 8-year-old children attend the school, said she was glad officials had taken action, but was still somewhat shaken.

"Where were my kids at when these kids had all those weapons?" Owens said. "My heart just dropped, I didn't know what to think."

Georgia law prohibits bringing adult criminal charges against children under 13, but places no age limit on children sent to juvenile court.

Although juvenile offenders can be locked up in detention centers, Randee Waldman, director of the Barton Juvenile Defender Clinic at Emory University School of Law, said the children accused in Waycross seem far too young for that.

"It would take an extraordinary circumstance for a child under the age of 10 to be detained," Waldman said. "Juvenile court is rehabilitative in nature. It's not designed to be punitive."

Children so young often aren't considered competent to stand trial, Waldman said, because they lack the maturity to understand even the basics of the legal system. They may also be deemed too young to have had criminal intent, she said.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Scary, it's like if 'Home Alone' was directed by Quentin Tarantino.

:lol:

------

We will be having this conversation five years down the line debating if a group of children should be sent down for life, for butchering a disabled person because they thought he was a zombie.

Do we blame TV and video games for such an aggressive imagination ?

I was talking about this story with some friends last night...HOW did these kids become so organized? What inspired them to come up with the idea of covering the windows and cleaning up the mess?

U2democrat said:
I was talking about this story with some friends last night...HOW did these kids become so organized? What inspired them to come up with the idea of covering the windows and cleaning up the mess?

CSI is my guess, it seems the benchmark when you discuss these sort of things to friends.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

Very true, but I believe a child can still grow up in a loving and nurturing home and still be prone to flip out and act in a disturbing manner. Peer pressure plays a role, too.

Oh yes, I agree. But parents allow their kids to watch inappropriate television, make excuses for their kids when they fuck up, and generally set very poor examples for their kids.

:shifty: Can you tell I haven't had my spring break yet?

I think children are given to parents as empty vessels and we as parents will stand before God one day and have to answer for the things we did or did not teach our children.

It's will be actually that simple.
So moms and dads do your best here.
:)

dbs

diamond said:
I think children are given to parents as empty vessels and we as parents will stand before God one day and have to answer for the things we did or did not teach our children.

dbs

Do you need to include god in everything?

Kids must be brought accountable for their actions regardless of bad parentage

vaz02 said:

Do you need to include god in everything?

Kids must be brought accountable for their actions regardless of bad parentage

Yes to your first question-because He sent us here.

Yes to your second statement although when you and God are standing together, you will both know of your circumstance you were raised in, how much light, truth and knowledge you possessed, and in the end you will be pleased and amazed at how God will grade or judged you at a curve.

dbs

diamond said:

Yes to your first question-because He sent us here.

Yes to your second statement although when you and God are standing together, you will both know of your circumstance you were raised in, how much light, truth and knowledge you possessed, and in the end you will be pleased and amazed at how God will grade or judged you at a curve.

dbs

Thats all very debatable, the cookie monster could of sent us here for all you know.

Has man not Evolved parenting or did it just come naturally?

vaz02 said:

Thats all very debatable, the cookie monster could of sent us here for all you know.

Has man not Evolved parenting or did it just come naturally?

flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg

diamond said:

dbs

I believe parents should have the desire to take an active role in raising their children to be good people of sound character and integrity, and that this desire should be completely independent of any specter of being judged by a higher power. They should do it simply because they want their children to be good people, not because it will win them brownie points with God.

I suppose the brownie points wouldn't hurt, though. :wink:

And we may not have any control over *who* the ultimate dispenser of said brownie points are-but may find ourselves pleasnltly suprised one day.

dbs

Diemen said:

I believe parents should have the desire to take an active role in raising their children to be good people of sound character and integrity, and that this desire should be completely independent of any specter of being judged by a higher power. They should do it simply because they want their children to be good people, not because it will win them brownie points with God.

I suppose the brownie points wouldn't hurt, though. :wink:

:up: Well said and I Agree. I saw this story on the News last night and gasped when I heard it. THIRD GRADERS?!!! Something right there is so VERY wrong! :shocked:

The parents of those 3rd graders should not get ANY brownie points at all!

That's a rather large number of kids involved, too many for bona fide psychological abnormalities to be the major reason. If it were a smaller number (though, I guess there were "only" 3 presumed would-be attackers?) then I'd maybe speculate one seriously messed-up kid, plus a couple others who were highly socially dependent/needy types and thought they were showing how bold they were by going along with it. But that's just speculation.

I would hope all nine kids are ordered to be evaluated by a child psychologist, then required to attend some minimum number of family counseling sessions with their parents/guardians, but my guess is probably not.

I can only say that more and more, the television and the video games are responsible for influencing the children that are sent to me for discipline.

And children in the third and 4th grades are now using sexual terms more and more frequently, and children in the second grade are bringing items purchased at army navy stores into schools.

What will it look like in twenty years?

yolland said:
That's a rather large number of kids involved, too many for bona fide psychological abnormalities to be the major reason. If it were a smaller number (though, I guess there were "only" 3 presumed would-be attackers?) then I'd maybe speculate one seriously messed-up kid, plus a couple others who were highly socially dependent/needy types and thought they were showing how bold they were by going along with it. But that's just speculation.

I would hope all nine kids are ordered to be evaluated by a child psychologist, then required to attend some minimum number of family counseling sessions with their parents/guardians, but my guess is probably not.

Absoutely, whether a leader or having been led, this is a red flag that shouldn't be excused away.

Oh yes, I agree. But parents allow their kids to watch inappropriate television, make excuses for their kids when they fuck up, and generally set very poor examples for their kids.
How true those third grade kids were in a special education classroom for behavior disorders. Most parents fuck up their children by trying to be friends with their children instead of parents. I worked with behavior disorders, abused and neglected children for ten years. Some people shouldn't have children and there are bad parents in all social, and economic classes in America. Disney Land parents can be the worse.
My son's friends parents thought that I was Hitler because I ground my son, set limits and took his video games, T.V., phone, etc. away when he acted up so he would learn to think of the consequences of his actions. I taught him to treat people with respect whether you liked them or not. He was a poor student in school because he was bored, but I didn't bail him out. I told him and his teachers that he could stay in the 8th grade for another year because he wasn't doing his school work. Junior High sucked because at that age kids can be a pain in the ass.
Now he is in college and top of his class. This week three national honor colligate societies invited him to join. I had to brag about that, because being Hitler paid off.

Last edited:
We had a 4 1/2 year old at work try to murder his 2 year old sister by setting fire to her cot. She was saved by the mum waking up to the smell of smoke in time. It was a culmination of many issues, television not one of them. He had a history in his very short life of animal cruelty and attempts before to hurt his sister and also his mother.

When I heard this story, I have to say that I wasn't surprised. It didn't even shock me a little. I am very involved in my kids school activities etc. and see alot of what goes on in school and after. There are some really mean and rotten kids out there and I have to say that the parents of them are the ones who think there kids are all that and have no clue as to what is going on in their lives.

Its hard work being a parent and not all fun and games, some parents turn the other cheek to avoid the hard work. There are times when I can't take it anymore and want to run away, then I realize my responsibility to my kids. I always feel that I and my hubby are responsible for my kids actions.

I actually tell my kids who they can hang out with in school and who to stay away from. I also set limits on video games and only allow certain ones, same goes with Itunes and what they watch on TV, I can't even say how many channels I have locked. I am not trying to shield them I am trying to have them be shocked when they hear certain things so with current events and the like I make sure they know whats going on in the world.

Its ashame because some of these kids could be totally innocent and just followed the lead of another. Theres always a ring leader and the followers. I don't think that out of 9 kids all of them understood the reprocautions they were getting themselves into.

Back
Top Bottom