Gay Voice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheU2

Refugee
You ever hear a guy who sounds completely gay? Its that tone, that annunciation (sp) that just tells you that he's gay. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Well if you do, I got a question for you: Is that voice learned or is it instinctual?

Carry on,

CK on the MT

[This message has been edited by TheU2 (edited 01-11-2002).]

oh boy.
this might answer a question i've been wondering about-are the mods on some sort of schedule, what happens if they all go to bed at the same time, then threads like this won't be shut down quite as fast as they normally would?
to answer your question i think it's more stereotypical in the same way that not all cute girls have high and squeaky voices or large men have gruff voices
smile.gif

------------------
i was born for your magazine
i am trapped in the society page of your magazine

Originally posted by kobayashi:
oh boy.
this might answer a question i've been wondering about-are the mods on some sort of schedule, what happens if they all go to bed at the same time, then threads like this won't be shut down quite as fast as they normally would?
to answer your question i think it's more stereotypical in the same way that not all cute girls have high and squeaky voices or large men have gruff voices
smile.gif

Why would this be shut down. I think its a fair topic of discussion. I for one believe that your sexual preference is pre-determined. We are all a mishmash of different chemical/hormones and the whatnot. My opinion is that a gay person's "infrastructure" or chemical/hormonal makeup is what makes that person gay. They have no choice. I would just like to hear others opinions concerning if being gay produces a "stereotypical Gay" voice.

I don't mean to offend anyone. If I have, that was not my intention. If you all think that its not a fair or appropriate thread, speak up.

CK

Originally posted by TheU2:
Why would this be shut down.

because it will be. the determinant of sexual prefs might be an interesting question to discuss, but not a question revolving around the voice with which the stereotypical image of a person with a specific sexual orientation speaks. that is, as popwhore said, inappropriate.

I don't mean to offend anyone. If I have, that was not my intention. If you all think that its not a fair or appropriate thread, speak up.

CK

you have to realize that that is a somewhat rhetorical statement and this thread will offend people. these threads offend people the same way these topics of discussion offend people in face to face communication-because they are inappropriate. anybody in their right mind could pick this off as something that a significant subset of society would find offensive.

------------------

[This message has been edited by kobayashi (edited 01-10-2002).]

I really don't get why you think this thread is offensive. I'm curious to know if you think that gay people are born gay or is it a learned behavior that they pick up fro mtheir environment. My belief is that a person is born gay...that their sexual preference is for someone of the same sex. If you want to call it a stereotype, so be it, but all the gay men that I'm friends with talk with a voice that I can only define as "gay". How is it that I can identify that a person's voice is "gay"? I'm sure that there are gay men who don't have "that" voice, but there are many that do. Going back to my original question...is "that" voice a product of their hormonal makeup or is it a learned trait?

CK Scratching his head over the negative vibes emitting from the responses in this thread.

CK

Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel:
Well we are, it's just that as kobeson said it's a sterotype you're presenting here instead of a solid argument.

That's all I have to say.

Stereotypes tend to originate from some kernel of truth, you know. There's nothing wrong with analyzing and/or debunking stereotypes.

[This message has been edited by speedracer (edited 01-10-2002).]

you have to realize that that is a somewhat rhetorical statement and this thread will offend people. these threads offend people the same way these topics of discussion offend people in face to face communication-because they are inappropriate. anybody in their right mind could pick this off as something that a significant subset of society would find offensive.

I'll bite. Why is this topic so offensive and inappropriate?

As an honest discussion, it may not have too much scholarly merit, but it seems like a fair question to ask.

And as satire, it's no worse than saying that white boys can't jump, white boys got no rhythm, white boys can't handle spicy food, white boys wear ugly golf clothes, etc. etc.

[This message has been edited by speedracer (edited 01-10-2002).]

I really don't get why you think this thread is offensive CK
For once, I agree with TheU2. I don't quite see why it's offensive, either.

Stereotypes can't be answered, only discussed in great length, only to get you no where.

Perhaps ask a homosexual person. They shouldn't be too offended.

I really don't get why you think this thread is offensive. I'm curious to know if you think that gay people are born gay or is it a learned behavior that they pick up fro mtheir environment.

no, you asked whether or not a gay person naturally has a "gay" voice or not, not whether or not they are born gay. say what you mean and mean what you say.

------------------
when you stop taking chances, you'll stay where you sit. you won't live any longer, but it'll feel like it.
ME!

This is a very good question and something I have been thinking about for a while now. My roommate at school is gay. When he speaks on the phone to his peers, the lisp and high pitched voice goes away. However, when he's talking to some of his friends, look out. He speaks with a very strong lisp and uses inflection like a woman does.

Now, don't take this as me hating gays or whatever. My roommate and I hang out and play sports together. However, I do wonder why he speaks more femminine to his friends than he does to other people. If he were stranded all alone on a desert island for the rest of his life, which way would he speak (to himself) on the island? Actually, I wonder if he dreams with his gay voice or his straight voice. Hmmmm...

TheU2, I didn't find the question offensive, but KhanadaRhodes caught you out, big time!
smile.gif

As for the "gay voice", it is something which is learned, and many gay men are very annoyed by it because it stereotypes the whole group.

I personally think it can be quite funny. I have some gay friends who like to use it to make a particular point, and it can be hilarious! Think Will & Grace.

BTW, I don't think that we should be afraid of talking about such things, as long as it's done in a respectful manner. Political correctness often has the opposite effect of what it's meant to achieve.

Originally posted by Klodomir:
TheU2, I didn't find the question offensive, but KhanadaRhodes caught you out, big time!
smile.gif

hehehe...i don't find it offensive either, i just wanted to point that out.
biggrin.gif
sorry if you thought i was slammin ya, theu2 *hugs*

it is funny cuz the people i know who are gay do that do, like they're two different people...

------------------
when you stop taking chances, you'll stay where you sit. you won't live any longer, but it'll feel like it.
ME!

I don't find the topic particularly offensive, however I can see how some would, because it's just not a question most people would think to ask... and it is a question that may never be understood or able to be answered... but this is Free Your Mind, so why not?

Stereotypes suck because they hold the preconceived notion that every one that falls under a particularly group acts or talks a certain way. This doesn't sit well with the theory that we're all unique individuals. However in some cases this stereotypical attribute may be applied. I bet you can think up a 'voice' that society has applied for each of these types of people:

blacks
hicks
cheerleaders
surfers

you get my point. I think this 'voice' emerges due to simple social patterns. An image of the essence of a particular type of person is standardized in society. You have people walking the walk and talking the talk. It's all very subconscious and these types of learned behaviors can become almost instinctual. It's kind of like those who bear accents--it's due to the geographical area in which they live. Ask me how these 'voices' or attributes originate and it may be more difficult to explain. There's that whole "it's not a conscious effort, so surely it's in their genes" thing... but then maybe it's not--maybe it's just a social pattern.

Or maybe I've just been in Sociology class for too long
wink.gif

Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes:
no, you asked whether or not a gay person naturally has a "gay" voice or not, not whether or not they are born gay. say what you mean and mean what you say.

I was arguing whether talking with a "gay" voice is a natural extension of them being born gay (my opinion, some differ and think that a person chooses to be gay) or is it a learned behavior. I apologize if my logic got a little muddy.

CK

well it appears i was dead wrong.
i must say, i'm surprised.
i wouldn't say i personally am that offended by it, i just figured a lot of others would take great offense to it.
well a lot of others have responded and none have been that offended besides one, april.

*is tempted to see how far he can push this offensive trend...by proclaiming Pop to be the most rockingest thing ever.

------------------

*is tempted to see how far he can push this offensive trend...by proclaiming Pop to be the most rockingest thing ever.

"We don't want the flying pig - we want the lemon!" - Bono.

Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes:

Its related. People are born gay. But are gay men born with a gay voice that will become apparant when they mature?

I have another twist to the discussion. Do gay men speak with the a "gay" voice to let other gay men know that they are gay. Traditionally, it has been much more difficult to seek a gay partner since 95% (guess) of the population is heterosexual. It has become easier though with the advent of gay bars and the internet. Did this "voice" evolve to counter that problem.

I would love to get a response from a gay person regarding these issues. I know however, that many gay people on this forum are not "out" to the forum so don't feel obliged to post.

CK

kobayashi, I can see your point, and I will admit that the topic is discomifiting to me. Mainly because it assumes that gay people speak with "gay" voices. I have several gay friends and they don't have that feminine "cutesy" voice at all. So to me, it seems like a stereotype. I also have a few guy friends that are very much straight that speak with a lisp and sound "gay". So I dunno. Seems like a bit of a broad generalization to me.

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
kobayashi, I can see your point, and I will admit that the topic is discomifiting to me

that's all i'm askin' for. someone finally threw me a bone!

CK i think muc of the debate surrounding your post stems from the way in which you have framed the question. by beginning the post with a rash generalization such as

'You ever hear a guy who sounds completely gay? Its that tone....that just tells you that he's gay.'

you are immediately going to turn off a certain # of people, i guess that is what put me off as well. perhaps if the same question had been stated as your belief that homosexuality is genetic, are then it's extensions that are present within the gay community also genetic?

you are still making the rash generalization in my example but it's not as overt.
this is all rhetoric however since, imo, you have answered the question: working from your basis that homosexuality is genetic and your own admission that you are sure some homosexuals do not have the lisp to which you are referring, would that not prove to you that the lisp then is learned and not genetic?

------------------

[This message has been edited by kobayashi (edited 01-11-2002).]

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
kobayashi, I can see your point, and I will admit that the topic is discomifiting to me. Mainly because it assumes that gay people speak with "gay" voices. I have several gay friends and they don't have that feminine "cutesy" voice at all. So to me, it seems like a stereotype. I also have a few guy friends that are very much straight that speak with a lisp and sound "gay". So I dunno. Seems like a bit of a broad generalization to me.

You are absolutley right, we are generalizing here. I'm only commenting on why there is a greater percentage of gay men who have that "feminine 'cutesy' voice" when compared to heterosexual men.

Have you ever met a person who you thought was gay without actually knowing for sure? If you did, how did you come up with that assumption. Was it the way they spoke, acted, dressed, etc. Are those signals being emitted for the purpose to let you or a prospective partner know that they are gay?

CK

CK i think muc of the debate surrounding your post stems from the way in which you have framed the question. by beginning the post with a rash generalization such as

'You ever hear a guy who sounds completely gay? Its that tone....that just tells you that he's gay.

How is a rash generalization if I'm referring to one guy?

CK

[BHow is a rash generalization if I'm referring to one guy?

CK[/B]

i apologize. i didn't realize this is whole discussion was based on one individual who is gay by way of his voice according to you. i assumed your question was rhetorical and we were referring to the gay community.

------------------

[This message has been edited by kobayashi (edited 01-11-2002).]

I'm only commenting on why there is a greater percentage of gay men who have that "feminine 'cutesy' voice" when compared to heterosexual men.CK
Whoa there, sonny! I completely disagree here. I do not believe that the majority of gay men have that voice. Maybe that's just the ones you notice?

Well I wasnt going to reply to this. And my initial reaction when I read this thread last nite + Kobayashi's one reply made me feel like I should close it. Only for the reason that TheU2, you have no tact. You really need to work on how you present a question and maybe stop to think that it might indeed offend some people. It's all how you say things, not always what exactly is said.

But since so far it seems the debate is under control, carry on. Just think about what I said for next time please.

------------------
It's cold in the ground
But there's peace in the sound
Of the white and the black
Spilling over

Sicy's Website

Sicy's FTP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom