Gay Prom Date

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spinninghead77

Refugee
Sorry, PROM Date...

I wanted to get the opinion of my fellow interferer's on this topic.

Here in Toronto a student at a Catholic School would like to bring his boyfriend to the school prom. The school said that is not acceptable. The student, in turn, is taking in before the school board.

When I first read this story, I was outraged. I consider myself to be a liberal, and the idea of denying this student the right to date whomever he wants really made me angry. Then I heard that it was a Catholic school. Aren't Catholics against homosexual's? Isn't one of the theories of Catholisicm that sexual relationships are for procreation only? I don't think that they should let him bring his boyfriend to the prom. He (or his parents) made the desicion that he would attend a Catholic school, and he has to be prepared to follow the Catholic way at school, and school functions.

Perhaps though, he should enroll at a public school before the prom. *LOL*

What do you guys think?

------------------
***Spinny***
"I don't know about you, but I feel good about the fact that I still haven't found what I'm looking for"-Bono, 1987

"Be uncool, yes be akward!"

[This message has been edited by spinninghead77 (edited 04-09-2002).]

I agree with the school on this one.. Going to a Catholic Unversity, THere was an issue of similar sorts about two years ago.. the local Homosexual Club.. 'Outreach' I think it might be... tried to get recognized by the University as a 'Sanctioned Club' by the school or what not.. For what... I'm not sure.. maybe funding or what... But anyways, the School Turned down their request.. Also, I think they tried to change the mission statement to include something on 'Homosexuals', and the School rejected their proposal.. Again, in following with the Catholic Church's stance on this issue.

Though not Homosexually related.. Back in High School.. For Homecoming I think, the school wouldn't allow one girl to go to the dance with another girl.. even though they were just friends..

L.Unplugged

[This message has been edited by Lemonite (edited 04-09-2002).]

It is kinda weird - I know quite a few gay people who are involved in the church (ie. brothers, priests, nuns, etc.) - yet the Catholic Church does not like same-sex relationships because of procreation.

The Catholic University I went to had a "support group" out of the Campus Ministry Center for the GLBT crowd. I thought that was progressive. I always felt bad for the GLBT students because our University was not a very open school - I'm sure it was a difficult life for many of the students.

I went to a dance at a Catholic School once (with a girl) and everyone had to take their shoes off to dance on the gym floor.

~U2Alabama

Originally posted by U2Bama:
I went to a dance at a Catholic School once (with a girl) and everyone had to take their shoes off to dance on the gym floor.

~U2Alabama
You know how those AD's get their intestines twisted over those Black Marking Soles..

L.Unplugged

I've already discussed this topic with a friend of mine from Toronto.

What us Americans do not understand is that Canadian Catholic schools are taxpayer supported (note: it is only the Catholic schools; no other private religious/non-religious schools).

Secondly, the Canadian Constitution, I believe, has specific protections against discrimination to homosexuals. While it is ambiguous in America, it is very clear in Canada. Of course, I'm sure there is a nice little exclusion clause for the world's bigoted religions (it's always funny how nondiscrimination clauses get waived for religions, which are supposed to be institutions of "love"), but, since these schools are taxpayer funded, I think they should be more than required to adhere to the same set of secular laws that gave them secular money.

Third, the Catholic Church is *not* against homosexuals, per se. It is only against the sex acts, as listed in the official Catechism of the Catholic Church. The sexual orientation is *not* considered sinful. Of course, the Catholic Church is the king of hypocrisy and confusion, but I do not see why two men dancing in a prom in any way relates to sex.

Fourth, the Catholic Church in Canada is conservative compared to the Catholic Church in the United States. The Vatican has already made statements in the past that the main reason why there would never be an American Pope is that they think that the Church in America is "too liberal."

I just don't know why he didn't just bring his boyfriend in without any hoopla. Go "alone," buy another ticket for a "friend," and have fun. But, obviously, I do not know the whole situation.

Melon

------------------
"Still, I never understood the elevation of greed as a political credo. Why would anyone want to base a political programme on bottomless dissatisfaction and the impossibility of happiness? Perhaps that was its appeal: the promise of luxury that in fact promoted endless work." - Hanif Kureishi, Intimacy

I think his date is 21 years old. That is the reason it should not be allowed.

------------------
?Economy is the basis of society. When the economy is stable, society develops. The ideal economy combines the spiritual and the material, and the best commodities to trade in are sincerity and love.? Morihei Ueshiba

Originally posted by Lemonite:

Though not Homosexually related.. Back in High School.. For Homecoming I think, the school wouldn't allow one girl to go to the dance with another girl.. even though they were just friends..

L.Unplugged

[This message has been edited by Lemonite (edited 04-09-2002).]

What state was this high school in?

------------------
?Economy is the basis of society. When the economy is stable, society develops. The ideal economy combines the spiritual and the material, and the best commodities to trade in are sincerity and love.? Morihei Ueshiba

Hey, I went to 2 semiformals with a gay guy!

(Well, okay, I'm female and he was just a friend.
wink.gif
)

But I'll tell you what: he was a great date. He dressed incredibly well, danced all night, and my flowers matched my dress perfectly. All girls should go to dances with gay guys.

------------------
If you cannot live together in here, you cannot live together out there, let me tell ya. --Bono

You've got to cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice... --Bono

When I was at my Catholic School, we boys went together, then again... it was an all-boys school. We practically did everything together... well, not everything.

However, when I was at my Private school in the Mid East, my best friend took his boyfriend to the prom by simply getting another friend of mine (a girl) to take him... I agree that that would have been a wiser course of action.

Concerning the School in this case, though, you can't expect to go to the Board and miraculously open everybody's eyes, especially when it IS a Catholic School, and therefore stipulates certain rules and prejeduices and what have you, its only natural to expect that - I think that the school, having created these rules, is right in not permitting him to take his boyfriend. It prejeduice, I know... but no more prejeduiced than all-gay clubs who exclude straight people at the door (and it has happened, rarely... but it has).

Ant.

My school dances from year 7 - 10, the teachers went around with torches to shine on us if we were dancing too close.
That was in the 90's people!

And they wonder why catholic girls are so wild.
biggrin.gif

I guess the main issue here is that its a school thing. Schools like to pretend that its "just a dance" where the kids just have fun and then go home and go to sleep. By him taking it to the board, he's turning it into a homosexual issue, which in my opinion was probably the worst thing he could have done if he truly wanted to bring his boyfriend. He's making a stand which he has every right to do and will probably feel was the right thing to do for his own peace of mind, but it really wouldn't surprise me if taking that angle only worsened the situation. Catholics are stubborn bastards. Catholic School boards wont back down on something like that.

After i left catholic school I heard that a girl I went to school with is gay. I also found out that it was rumoured that she was having a rship with one of the female teachers after she had left school. RUMOUR.
That teacher then lost her job.
The student wasn't even at the school anymore. A brilliant teacher's career ruined because of prejudice.

As disgusting as it is, I have to agree with the school. The Catholic school is private, and they have the right to choose who can and can't attend their school. It's not nice, but it's their right. If you don't like it, go to public school. I do.

I feel bad for the boy, though. It has to hurt to know you're rejected by the religion you were raised with.

------------------
I dig my toes into the sand. The ocean looks like a 1,000 diamonds strewn across a blue plain. I lean against the wind, pretend that I am weightless. And in this moment I am happy... happy.

Love,
Emily

I wish you were here.

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
Emily's Wallpapers

Back
Top Bottom