gay men smell different

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I knew what you were referring to about smells.
The cosmetic smells we put on ourselves enhance our bodies, but theyre not the same as pheromones, right? :up:
I think the pheromone thing might help explain why even if we are around somebody who is physically attractive to us were just not into them.
Either that or they have a shitty personality :sexywink:
I liked how you pointed out moving past the initial stages of attaction to real intimacy....
Theres something really fun and exciting about meeting a new person and discovering things about them. But the satisfaction and fulfillment you can get from real intimacy with somebody is something totally different.

Maybe internet dating, chatting, whatever should come w/ a scratch and sniff monitor :wink:

Maybe pheromones can be transmitted via the internet :hmm:

everything you never wanted to know about pheromones, it's quite interesting to Google it

Magazine article in Newsweek, 1/12/87.

The Chemistry Between People: Are Our Bodies Affected by Another Person’s Scent?
By Terence Monmaney with Susan Katz

The air is loaded with secrets, with intimate messages both unseen and unheard. Ready! A female moth announces, and male moths miles away soon receive the invitation and head upwind, eager to mate. A dog goes into heat, and male dogs all over the neighborhood are drawn by a telltale scent to her masters’ door.

In creatures as different as bugs and dogs, life-and-death messages are relayed via a specialized chemical known as a pheromone - a substance that works much like a hormone, but is released by one individual and prompts changes in the physiology or behavior of another.

Ever since scientists discovered pheromones 30 years ago, they’ve found such chemical communication in hundreds of species - from moths to mice to monkeys. And man? Do we, the great communicators, also make use of such potent and unambiguous signals? Is there literal truth to the notion that when people get along, it is because of the right "chemistry"?

There have been plenty of claims. A mother's' pheromones, researchers once said, are what attract her infant to her breasts. *** But while the ideas of human pheromones is intriguing, the dozens or so studies that addressed the possibility in the past 10 years were disappointing: no one established beyond a doubt that human pheromones exists.

Now two new studies are stirring up the pheromone debate with the boldest claims yet. Researchers at the University of Pennsylvania and the Monell Chemical Senses Center, a nonprofit research institute in Philadelphia, say that people produce underarm pheromones that can influence menstrual cycles.

The studies, done by chemist George Preti and biologist Winnifred B. Cutler, are not the first of their kind, but they are the first ones rigorous enough to be published in a respected scientific journal, Hormones and Behavior.

In one study the researchers collected underarm secretions from men who wore a pad in each armpit. This "male essence" {pheromone} was then swabbed, three times a week, on the upper lips of seven women whose cycles typically lasted less than 26 days or more than 33. By the third month of such treatment, the average length of the women's cycles began to approach the optimum 29.5 days - the cycle length associated with highest fertility.

Cutler's conclusion: " Male essence" contains at least one pheromone that "helps promote reproductive health".

Female Essence: The experiment was more rigorous than earlier ones for two reasons. It employed a control group - eight women who were swabbed with alcohol showed no effect - and it was performed in "double-blind" fashion: neither the subjects nor the researchers knew whether alcohol or male essence dissolved in alcohol was being applied until after the study.

In Cutler and Preti’s second experiment, they studied menstrual synchrony - the phenomenon that women who live in close quarters tend to have cycles that coincide *** This time Cutler and Preti exposed 10 women with normal cycles to female underarm sweat . After three months of the same sweat-on-the-lip treatment, the women's cycles were starting roughly in synchrony with those of the women who had donated the sweat. Menstrual synchrony was first documented in 1970 when psychologist Martha McClintock studied women living in a college dormitory.

But this new study is the first to offer solid evidence that pheromone are what mediate the effect.

"Pheromones are real in human beings., "concludes Preti...

End of Newsweek Excerpt

Last edited:
u2bonogirl said:

Youre nuts! You wouldnt want to have a spin with bono? He smells so good :D
I cant believe you were so close to me though. It was great having Bono and Adam by us so much

I was terrified through two shows that I might be dragged up onstage! No, I really don't want to dance with Bono in front of 20,000 people. It's not that I'm shy and humble. No, we're talking pure vanity here. I don't want to look dumb. I have some kind of irrational and deep-seated fear about public humiliation. And after that hail storm in Denver I looked like something the dog had dragged in. How did you look so good anyway after being in that horrible weather all day? :hmm:

Everyone always says Bono smells good.

u2bonogirl said:

I didnt know that...kind of strange the way women and men react to things differently.
But if a man's brain is telling him to basically mate mate! Populate the earth! Then he might have different responses to sexual abuse. He might try and control his wife or something like that.

Yep, being abusive would be one way the trauma could manifest. Another way, as with a friend of mine, is in sex addiction. He's a straight man who was abused pretty badly over many years as a boy by the neighborhood doctor, a man (now serving a life sentence for doing the same thing to many other children in the neighborhood). He has spent his adult life conquering women and proving to himself that he isn't gay just because he was sexually abused by a man. It's so sad. Great guy, too, but completely unavailable.

joyfulgirl said:

I was terrified through two shows that I might be dragged up onstage! No, I really don't want to dance with Bono in front of 20,000 people. It's not that I'm shy and humble. No, we're talking pure vanity here. I don't want to look dumb. I have some kind of irrational and deep-seated fear about public humiliation. And after that hail storm in Denver I looked like something the dog had dragged in. How did you look so good anyway after being in that horrible weather all day? :hmm:

Everyone always says Bono smells good.

I felt like a drowned rat after the hailstorm! I had no jacket, only a little sweater and I was soaked through when we got in there.
thankfully I didnt complain about the hailstorm, and it was so worth it to be able to touch Bono.
Ive been dreaming about that for a long time :heart:

Irvine511 said:
but i also think that some people's bodies just smell right to you. you might not even notice their scent

Soooo true. That's why we bury our noses in their pillows after they're gone.

joyfulgirl said:

Yep, being abusive would be one way the trauma could manifest. Another way, as with a friend of mine, is in sex addiction. He's a straight man who was abused pretty badly over many years as a boy by the neighborhood doctor, a man (now serving a life sentence for doing the same thing to many other children in the neighborhood). He has spent his adult life conquering women and proving to himself that he isn't gay just because he was sexually abused by a man. It's so sad. Great guy, too, but completely unavailable.

Wow. Can you believe the damage we do to other human beings?

Muggsy said:
hahaha.... when I read the title I get the wrong idea: that gay men have a different smell from the straight ones :reject:

Thats what I thought too.

I know its not the topic but I actually think lesbians smell different to hetero women. I used to work in an environment that was heavily homosexual and I was one of the odd ones out. I swear the women who are lesbians smell different to other women. I dont know why that would matter as I am a woman and Im not attracted to women so I dont know why I would notice that hetero women smell different to gay women. (and lesbians smell less attractive to me)

Ponderings.

well, i chose the word "smell" because it is a noun and a verb. yes, gay men do smell different, on a micro level, and they also smell different things.

(sits back and admires his cleverness)

;)

Time article

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1061508-1,00.html

"Even though last week's study strengthens the argument that desire may be triggered in part by chemical signals, it doesn't necessarily prove that gay men are preordained to pick up on male pheromones. It could also be that their brains learn to respond to them over time and with experience.

You might be able to test the proposition, says Hamer, by doing the experiment on people at different ages, to see if the response changes after early childhood. Nobody has tried that yet. The Swedish team is currently working on a related study to test how lesbians respond to female pheromones. Last week's paper also can't answer the question of how important a role pheromones play in desire. "

Back
Top Bottom