Gay Adoption Web Poll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melon

ONE love, blood, life
Today, a local news station in Toledo has issued a web poll. The question is simple enough:

"Should gay couples be allowed to adopt children?"

And let's face it. This is Ohio and this is local news. The average demographic is about 80 years old in local news these days, so I know what they expect the result to be--and I want to surprise them.

http://www.wtol.com

It's on the left side of the page, if you scroll down.

The reason for the poll is that the Ohio legislature is looking to ban gay adoption and foster families. This, of course, is a step backward and flies in the face of all credible studies (sorry, studies sponsored by anti-gay organizations are skewed to be...well, "anti-gay"), and even if this is meaningless, ultimately, I want, for once, for the polls to go in an unexpected direction. The results will be broadcast at EST 11:00 pm--4 hours from this posting--and I hope that you all here will help and vote "yes." I'll let you know the results that are broadcast when it airs here.

Melon

Now it's:

53% yes
45% no
2% not sure

a bit better

A_Wanderer said:
Why? people should not not allowed to have their own opinions and reservations about gay adoption.

simply because there's a diversity of opinion does not mean that all opinions are equal. they should be treated equally and allowed, but we have to make distinctions between good arguments and bad arguments, between good logic and bad logic. if it were "interracial adoption" instead of gay adoption, do you think there would even be a poll? what about "should unmarried single straight women be allowed to adopt" (like the woman who lives next door to me)?

A_Wanderer said:
Why? people should not not allowed to have their own opinions and reservations about gay adoption.

Because it smacks of the same type of opinion that says people of different races shouldn't be able to marry or adopt children. I don't see the difference.

indra said:

Because it smacks of the same type of opinion that says people of different races shouldn't be able to marry or adopt children. I don't see the difference.
You really don't see the difference between a black man and a white woman adopting a baby and 2 white men adopting a baby?

indra said:

It's called + or - one y chromosome, plenty of people can see the difference.

And yes I support gay adoption and IVF etc. there is a difference but it is not going to harm the child.

If anyone wants to know.

55% Yes
43% No
2% Not sure

Like Angela said, if there's commitment and love towards taking care of a child, race, age, or sexual preference shouldn't matter in adoption.

A_Wanderer said:

"People should not not allowed.."

Dude, your verbal manglings are starting to remind me of someone.

financeguy said:

It reminds me of 2 people - Dubya and myself.

You know, when I write, I'm usually very clear and articulate. I made high grades in composition in High School and College.

However, when I speak, I mangle and mangle - the words just come out wrong. Yes, I have been compared to Dubya in that sense.

financeguy said:

that should be a "not be" not the "not not" double negative out of place. Don't blame me it was 11:00 in the morning. When I speak my elocution is impeccable.

Angela Harlem said:
Anyone who's a good potential parent should be allowed to adopt. This is fucking stupid. Valid disagreements, my arse.

No, I think there is a valid PRAGMATIC argument for saying that the kids could be subject to discrimination in homophobic societies. That is not the same as a valid moral argument however.

Nevertheless I voted yes.

80sU2isBest said:

You really don't see the difference between a black man and a white woman adopting a baby and 2 white men adopting a baby?

:eyebrow:

well, they certainly have being the object of discimination by small minded idiots in common.

children should go to the best homes available. by definition, only through igonrance can you say that a heterosexual home is superior to a homosexual home. a good home is not created from sexual orientation, but through the people that make it work. if, however, we were to take a fantastic straight couple and compare them to a fantastic gay couple, i think we can say that it might be easier for a child to be raised by the striaght couple, but that doesn't mean that it is, by definition, better.

on a side note, gays and lesbians, if anything, tend to make, on average, better adoptive parents than striaght couples. this is usually because the gay couple has been through a very difficult time getting the adoption process along, especially with all the roadblocks that society constructs first to attack gay relationships and then to make adoption that much more difficult when you are gay. the result is that gay couples who get through the adoption process really, really want to be parents. they also tend to be a bit older, and more educated than their straight counterparts.

this is, of course, generaly speaking.

Irvine511 said:

:eyebrow:

well, they certainly have being the object of discimination by small minded idiots in common.

So, do you see the difference or not?

Haha this is funny. Well not really. Whenh my (black) sister was adopted, I'm sure my parents had thought about the social ramifications of raising a dark skinned child in a one horse town in the middle of the Aussie bush. And whaddya know, kids teased me because we had no car. That was it. Seriously. No one teased or made issues of our skin colours. Oh, occasionally really bloody stupid people would ask "what's it like having a black sister?" How on earth would I know what it's like to NOT have one? I've never known any different. I am going to bet, based on my own personal example, that children growing up with homosexual or lesbian parents will be the same. They wont say "Gee, I wish we were all Walton-like." They'll grow up saying "fuck off with the stupid questions. This is mum and mum you are talking about, or dad and dad".

:shrug:

80sU2isBest said:

No. Not if they are decent parents. And there are cases where the 2 men (of any colour) would be better than the man and woman (of whatever colour or combination of colours). Each individual case/adoptive couple/person should be decided on it's/their/his/her individual merits.

indra said:

No. Not if they are decent parents. And there are cases where the 2 men (of any colour) would be better than the man and woman (of whatever colour or combination of colours). Each individual case/adoptive couple/person should be decided on it's/their/his/her individual merits.

Absolutely!!!!!

And I speak from experience.....

Just so you know, the final broadcast tally was:

Yes - 56%
No - 42%
Not Sure - 2%

This was taken prior to 11:00 pm, because time has to be allowed to prepare everything for broadcast.

Thanks everyone. It probably won't matter, because Ohio is very Republican and full of bigots. And then they wonder why educated people are leaving the Midwest like crazy? No one wants to be known as living in the backwards hick state.

Melon

melon said:
Just so you know, the final broadcast tally was:

Yes - 56%
No - 42%
Not Sure - 2%

This was taken prior to 11:00 pm, because time has to be allowed to prepare everything for broadcast.

Thanks everyone. It probably won't matter, because Ohio is very Republican and full of bigots. And then they wonder why educated people are leaving the Midwest like crazy? No one wants to be known as living in the backwards hick state.

Melon

oh its not that republican, it was somewhat close in the election if i recall...:hmm:

i live in georgia for christs sake! sorry, but there *are* a lot of bigots here. i know people that claim not to be racist, but still think black and white people should not date or marry.:mad: not even getting into homosexuality...

disclaimer: not all people from georgia are mindless bigots. for instance, i am a very nice person. :wink:

melon said:

Melon

There are actually some very liberal pockets in Ohio (Toledo area isn't one of them), just as there are some very conservative areas in usually liberal states.

I live in Ohio and it does not define me. Backwards hicks come from every state and every city, just as open-minded, forward thinking people come from every state and every city.

Hell, I even know a couple of decent people from Texas. :ohmy: :wink:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom