Gather around. Is this a FORM of job discrimmination or what? You decide.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's the story.

Everyday usually I hang out at an artsy type Coffe/Bagel shop w a group of fellows.

There's a super stunning female that hangs w/us. Woman's gorgeous.
She is also in the automotive business like me,however more in the clerical secretarial end.
Anyway she's in the market for a job.
She comes to me hoping that I can secure her a position. I ve helped several people attain postions at this dealership.
Anyway she's qualfied perfectly.
She's polite.
Human Resources loved her thru the interview process.

Her problem?
"She's too pretty Dave"- they tell me.
"Were afraid that she would be too much of a distraction to the sales force"

WTF is THAT?
mad.gif

How am I gonna face my friend?
frown.gif

Out-
Diamond

That's sad, but I've had this happen to people I knwo as well.

And it's hard to garner support for pretty people.

I consider a form of job discrimination since I highly doubt this would happen to a pretty guy.

Originally posted by Diamond The U2 Patriot:

WTF is THAT?
mad.gif

Yeah, that's what I was wondering!!
confused.gif

Seems like the only people who can get jobs without fear of being discriminated against these days are white males, I hate to say. Everyone else is simply too short/fat/thin/pretty/ugly/black/hispanic/gay/liberal/conservative, etc. What gives?!

That sucks for your friend, diamond. Hope they reconsider their stance.

------------------
I must confess it can feel good to feel pain
Like breaking waves or getting caught in the rain

Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel:
Seems like the only people who can get jobs without fear of being discriminated against these days are white males

it can work both ways tho. a white male could be counted out for a job because he 'isn't an example of diversity'. it's admittedly rare but it can happen.

Originally posted by kobayashi:
it can work both ways tho. a white male could be counted out for a job because he 'isn't an example of diversity'. it's admittedly rare but it can happen.

Its not that rare. Not today.

Diamond yes it is discrimination. I'm not sure what EEO (equal employment opportunity) policies you guys have over there, but I assume you have laws to protect yourselves as employers and employees.
Basically it stands that you cannot NOT hire someone based on religion, race, physical description or impairment. Certain industries are allowed exemptions, for instance, social welfare, modelling and casting for obvious reason, manufacturing where it involves a particular build of person. I say this cos many factories where production line is the key, are designed with small work spaces. Larger individuals cannot simply fit somfortably and it can breaches OH&S (occupational health and safety). Sorry if you are aware of all this, or the laws in America are different, but of course there are exceptions. However a car yard does not fit into these categories and your employer has breached the laws we have in place here. If it is the same for you, then yes, he has discriminated.

You stated that she is suitably qualified and very well presented. These are what you are looking for in sales. Although her position is more support, it is essential to have these requirements met. The boss's excuse that she will be a distraction ringing an alarm bell in you is correct Diamond. He has unfortunately not acted by a fair and just recruitment criteria.

If she or yourself are willing to persue this, there are places you can go to give you a head start. Check with some local government guies, or your union of you are a member.

Good luck Diamond and Ihope your friend finds a good job soon. Keep us posted eh?

*POST SCRIPT*:

Diamond, get your hands on a copy of the guides in your state or industry and slap your boss with that. Nothing like the fear of a discrimination suit to knock the wind out of an asshole.

You gotta make your own revolutions Dave.

If someone told me that about a friend of mine...I would wonder if they knew something about the sales force I didn't...and is there something about the sales force everyone should know ?
confused.gif
Are these people rapant sexist/harrasers or something?

No time like the present to bring it out in the open.

dream wanderer

Seems like the only people who can get jobs without fear of being discriminated against these days are white males, I hate to say.

Whooaa.. There.. for a minute .. WTF is ThaT... I'd say the last person to get a job is going to be a White Male.. Now... When I refer to Job.. I'm referring to my personal Experience in relations to Applicants for Graduate (The Specific Nature is UnImportant.. But IT's no research Programs) School.. Many Interviews I went to.. Boys were outnumbered by Girls.. White boys were out numbered by Black boys (Hey We're Still College Kids).. And There was nary a White Girl to be found either as much on the woman side.. With the Girls being either Asian, Arab, or Black.. Just My Experience... But more than Suspicious...

It just seems that Colleges are more and more looking to fill this 'diversity Quota'.. not seems.. IS.. and just by nature of there being more White People applying, there will.. by following this logic.. be more White People (Majority Boys) Selected.. Still the makeups of my Interview Groups rarely manifested this fact though..

L.Unplugged

Thank you for your responses everybody.
I had a feeling that I was correct in my gut to begin with.
Dream Wanderer-
Good pt.
When I heard the reasoning from my employer I thought by not hiring her that the employer was turning into an "enabler" of a small amount of "randy" car-salesman employed there.

UNRELATED TOPIC-
Observation-
You know what I love about Interfernce?
Its global.
I can throw up a ques at midnite and go to bed, and BOOM! people will start answering aimmeadeately around the world, like Oz or somewhere.
How great is THAT?
Youre all beautiful.
biggrin.gif

10-Q
Diamond
smile.gif

This falls under sex discrimination.

Melon

------------------
"Still, I never understood the elevation of greed as a political credo. Why would anyone want to base a political programme on bottomless dissatisfaction and the impossibility of happiness? Perhaps that was its appeal: the promise of luxury that in fact promoted endless work." - Hanif Kureishi, Intimacy

Originally posted by kobayashi:

As someone else said, it happens but very rarely. I will go ahead and also say that Lemonite has a point in that some white men do get overlooked in order to meet diversity quotas (?) but the way I've seen things, this is not the norm in American society. They still make more on the dollar than most women and minorites, hold a good percentage of the top jobs (CEO, President, etc.), and in many ways have it better than a good number of people in the work force.

They still make more on the dollar than most women and minorites, hold a good percentage of the top jobs (CEO, President, etc.), and in many ways have it better than a good number of people in the work force.

This is true, And I won't get into any sort of Statistics on Race/Gender/Money/Jobs or what not.. But just look at the majority of people out there working, The majority is the White Male... Things are evening up.. esp. in the place of women, but just due to the fact that there are more of them (Men).. They are going to .. by law of averages or proportion.. have more of the jobs out there.. Including Top Jobs.. Though I won't deny that in some arenas they have it better.. for whatever reason..

L.Unplugged

If she's as pretty as you say she is she'll find another job without a problem. It's much easier for "pretty people" to find jobs, because of the fact that they are easy to look at and make people look forward to going to work. I can't imagine why he would reject her based on a stunning appearence. Usually it's the other way around, isn't it?

Which brings up another question: If she weren't hired because she was "just too ugly", would we be having this conversation?

Originally posted by Danospano:

Which brings up another question: If she weren't hired because she was "just too ugly", would we be having this conversation?

Yes, we would be having this conversation on a bigger scale.

Originally posted by Lemonite:
But just look at the majority of people out there working, The majority is the White Male...

yeah, which is why you would think they'd pay women more instead of men, to save more money. on average, women earn 72% of what men do who are working in the same profession. but i won't get into any of that before someone accuses me of being some bra burning feminist.

Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes:
on average, women earn 72% of what men do who are working in the same profession.

GRRR...that fact so pisses me off...still. I simply can't understand why women can't be paid the same as men for doing the same job. I just don't get it.

DB9 - sorry about your friend, that really is a pathetic excuse not to hire someone, but a part of me understands to a degree (call me shallow)...but it still isn't right. Some smart company will snag her, and be happy they did.

Years ago, my manager/boss at the job I was leaving for a better one confessed that the reason--the MAIN reason--he hired me at the time was that I had big breasts!!
eek.gif
mad.gif
I was MORTIFIED. Only later did he find out that I was actually a hard worker/good employee. This was long before sexual harrassment suits, plus I was only 17 at the time, but that has stuck with me ever since. Sad.

The dealership I worked at briefly we had a similair situation, a beautiful goddess working as receptionist. She was a bit of a distraction for us, but the almighty $$$$ always kept us on the lot trying to get a deal.

Horrible situation, bad judgement on management's part. Do you confront them about this? I know you have been there a while and run the roost as far as the "sales consultant professionals" are concerned. But is that enough of a cushion to make your stand over this issue?

What's really sad, and must bug you Diamond is the confidence in their sales force, or lack thereof. What message are they sending YOU here?

Sorry for your friend Bro

Holey Moley! I can't believe your boss even told you this Diamond!!!

Even talking about gender can be a tricky situation. I prefer an "even" work force, that is if I have a male working for me, I'd then prefer to hire a female. HOWEVER, while I can "suggest" this preference to a recruiter in a VERY off-the-record manner, legally, I must interview and strongly consider both genders equally. Issues of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, etc. cannot be considered. And truthfully, I have followed these rules very closely. Never in an interview do I ask about a person's age, their family, where they live, their commute to work, their social life, etc. If the candidate brings up the topic, then I can discuss it. But I cannot initiate conversations in these areas.

With that in mind, to not hire a very qualified candidate because she is too pretty - and then to state that to your subordinates - SCREAMS lawsuit! Your boss must be a fool for saying this to you. However, as unjust as this is, if you tell your friend and she files a lawsuit, you will be a "witness" in the suit as your boss made this statement to you. This could seriously jeopardize your work relationship not only with your boss, but fellow staff. Some may resent you for causing problems. Others may support you. Either way, it can be a problem. In other words, if you persue this, be prepared for whatever happens.

However, I would seriously consider taking up this issue with HR or a General Manager (or Division Manager) first. What your boss did is a HUGE "no-no."

Well, I just had an ephiany, sort of.
Looks like I will always have job security there.
I am not as 'sexy' as I previously viewed myself thereby being a 'distraction' to no-one.
Everybody's safe.
biggrin.gif

Diamond

PS-
She found a job elsewhere
at a better pay rate,everyone.

DB9

Originally posted by doctorwho:
I can't believe your boss even told you this
very strange indeed
not the brightest thing to do

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by Salome:
Originally posted by doctorwho:
I can't believe your boss even told you this
very strange indeed
not the brightest thing to do

Fellows-
Remember one thing-
Ive been employed at this same dealership for over a decade and have help build it from the ground up.
I suppose they felt I was privy to this info.

Diamond

Back
Top Bottom