G. W. Bush may be a good prez but I think he's a nutcase some of the time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by Salome:
even though Clinton has made more mistakes than I probably will in my entire life at least (for some reason) he enjoyed some respect in the rest of the world
To be honest, I don't care who respected him in the rest of the world. The man was the President of The United States. his job was to look out for his people, not win some popularity contest.

Originally posted by WildHoneyAlways:
Hm, I'll take the guy who cheated on his wife over a coke head any day
There is a BIG difference between GW's Coke usage and Clinton's wife-cheating.
1)There has never been proof that Dubya did Cocaine. I don't even know where that idea came from. Certainly not fact based, whatsoever.
2)Also, even if he HAD used Cocaine, that was a very long time ago, and he no longer does, nor does he drink alcohol. You can't say the same for Clinton. Clinton has a long term history of womanizing, and he doesn't learn from it. he just keeps doing it and doing it. It has become who is, really.

Originally posted by 80sU2isBest:
even though Clinton has made more mistakes than I probably will in my entire life at least (for some reason) he enjoyed some respect in the rest of the world
To be honest, I don't care who respected him in the rest of the world. The man was the President of The United States. his job was to look out for his people, not win some popularity contest.

Clinton?.. Respect?.. Arafat Played him for a complete idiot.. but that's another issue for another thread...

In regards to Bush..

I also think there is a Huuuuuuge difference when you are talking about 'respect' and 'likeability' (spelling?).. I highly doubt that deep down the leaders of other nations disrespect bush.. more as they may just not like him.. And if anything, just look at this terrorism war.. I'm sure Bin Laden had noo idea what was coming after him when he targeted those planes into the trade towers... After clinton, I'm sure he just thought a few bombs would be dropped and that'd be it.. He probably never dreamed of the whole large scale of the war, and the perserverence that Bush is showing in Killing him.. If they didnt' resepect him before, NOW.. after Bush is showing just how true he is to his country, after he is showing that he won't take any shiz, the leaders I'm sure respect his devotion, his loyalty to the US, and His (Including he and his advisors/VP/Sec of State/rumsfeld et al..) Competence in dealing with this huge issue..And I'm sure their feelings may be begrudgingly perhaps, and Bush May not have their 'favor'.. but He's gotten the attention and the respect of the world..

Originally posted by Lemonite:

Clinton?.. Respect?.. Arafat Played him for a complete idiot.. but that's another issue for another thread...

Yes, which is exactly why there was so much bloodshed and violence between the Israeli's and Palestinians during Clinton's tenure and it's also why things have been so peacefull during the last year since Bush was elected. Oh, wait a minute that's not right...

MAP

Well thank God for Dr. Condy Rice who is the brains behind the hand puppet known as the bush. He was not "elected" anything, he was given it by that ugly woman in FLA, his brother, and Scalia. He has created a recession as well. Please don't write those 3 pg diatribes, we don't read them.

[This message has been edited by U2live (edited 01-07-2002).]

Originally posted by U2live:
He has created a recession as well. Please don't write those 3 pg diatribes, we don't read them.

rolleyes.gif

Now that's an intelligent and well-informed response. "Create" a recession in one year? Take economics 101 and then come back when you can talk sense.

Originally posted by Matthew_Page2000:
Yes, which is exactly why there was so much bloodshed and violence between the Israeli's and Palestinians during Clinton's tenure and it's also why things have been so peacefull during the last year since Bush was elected. Oh, wait a minute that's not right...

MAP

Don't you look deeper into anything... There Are CaUses to everything... This current violence is not as much Bush's doing as yo uwould like to believe..It all starts with Clinton.. hence the root of the curent violence Read on.. rEad on.. Clinton tried.. in his vain and selfish attempt at a Nobel peace prize .. to get peace in Israel and palestine, where Israel was practically ready to give everything up to arafat ... This is Where things started going downhill.. I'm surey ou'll quote all the terrorist war as why there's so much violence, but It had started (the current fierce war anyways) way before the attacks on 911, and it was cuz of clinton's inept and incompetent meddling in those affiars that got it stirred up.. Your sarcasm is duly noted with a nice big shit eating grin smiley face as he begs you to try and educate yourself a bit more.. And Matt.. thanks for not putting Hee Hee into one ofyour posts...

Originally posted by U2live:
Well thank God for Dr. Condy Rice who is the brains behind the hand puppet known as the bush. He was not "elected" anything, he was given it by that ugly woman in FLA, his brother, and Scalia. He has created a recession as well. Please don't write those 3 pg diatribes, we don't read them.

[This message has been edited by U2live (edited 01-07-2002).]

GIVE IT Up... Why is this still an issue.. Bush is president.. Check the Liberal media's independent vote count.. Unless you're a foreigner, in which case we'll forgive you, but not before laughing at you.

When there is "non-sensical" drivel such as this coming from your apparently withered fingers typing on your screen, I'd be exxxtatic to read a diatribe, at least they're entertaining, and have some sort of educated opinion that can add to the thread.. Go talk to Melon.. He and I rarely agree, but he's got Opinions that we can discuss, and maybe shove your head up Klodomir's @$$, He'll give you somehints as well...

Kudos for at least giving credence to the intelligence of Ms. Rice.. Props to you.. Yes i did just write props..

[This message has been edited by Lemonite (edited 01-07-2002).]

Clinton tried.. in his vain and selfish attempt at a Nobel peace prize .. to get peace in Israel and palestine, where Israel was practically ready to give everything up to arafat ... This is Where things started going downhill..

You don't think Ariel Sharon becoming Prime Minister had anything to do with the escalating violence?

Don't you look deeper into anything... There Are CaUses to everything... This current violence is not as much Bush's doing as yo uwould like to believe..It all starts with Clinton.. hence the root of the curent violence Read on.. rEad on.. Clinton tried.. in his vain and selfish attempt at a Nobel peace prize .. to get peace in Israel and palestine, where Israel was practically ready to give everything up to arafat ... This is Where things started going downhill.. I'm surey ou'll quote all the terrorist war as why there's so much violence, but It had started (the current fierce war anyways) way before the attacks on 911, and it was cuz of clinton's inept and incompetent meddling in those affiars that got it stirred up.. Your sarcasm is duly noted with a nice big shit eating grin smiley face as he begs you to try and educate yourself a bit more.. And Matt.. thanks for not putting Hee Hee into one ofyour posts...

Wow. What an incredibly unpleasant person you are. I'm tempted to call you a typical Republican jerk but that wouldn't be fair 'cause I did meet a nice one once in 1989. I don't think I like you that much so I'll try to be succint. Yes, I do try to "look deeper into" things. I think you might be surprised to learn that lots of people do--even people who disagree with you. You haven't given any evidence that the violence in the mideast is Clinton's fault. Things are not "so" just because you believe them to be. You're going to have to do a lot better than, "I don't like Clinton, he appeased Arafat and all hell broke out."
The fact is that prior to Clinton being a lame duck president violence between Israel and the Palestinians was at an all time low. Bush made a point out of being the first U.S. president in years to not send a full envoy to region. Whoops.

Hee, hee.
MAP

Wow. What an incredibly unpleasant person you are. I'm tempted to call you a typical Republican jerk but that wouldn't be fair 'cause I did meet a nice one once in 1989. I don't think I like you that much so I'll try to be succint. Yes, I do try to "look deeper into" things. I think you might be surprised to learn that lots of people do--even people who disagree with you. You haven't given any evidence that the violence in the mideast is Clinton's fault. Things are not "so" just because you believe them to be. You're going to have to do a lot better than, "I don't like Clinton, he appeased Arafat and all hell broke out."
The fact is that prior to Clinton being a lame duck president violence between Israel and the Palestinians was at an all time low. Bush made a point out of being the first U.S. president in years to not send a full envoy to region. Whoops.

Hee, hee.
MAP

We can't please everyone.. It's all about our individual styles.. anyways, It was a retaliation to the statement by you that you said, it Was Bush's fault (viloence in middle east).. or implied it at least, Just calling you out for making a statement where I had just as much Right to make as you did without any specific evidence.. just a bit of creative sarcasm.. faulty as either of ours may have been in the whole scheme of things...
Smiles and Hugs..

Dearly,
Lemonite

Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees:
You don't think Ariel Sharon becoming Prime Minister had anything to do with the escalating violence?

Ah yes.. A big nail hit right on the head.. Sharon's practically a huuuge asshole, I agree with you that he has a part to play in the escalating violence.. I's a big fan of 'netnyahoo'.. (phonicaly spelled), but whether or not Sharon is in the right in his actions and policies.. that's for another page.. but I do agree.. and i realize i've been ri cock u lously redundant in this post, but. ok.. i'll just end. Fizzing.. Agreed...

Moreover, why is it Ronald Reagans spirituality and religious principles are forever being referenced by the Christian right but Jimmy Carter's deeply felt spiritual beliefs are a source of contempt?

*laughs*

Need I remind people that Reagan wasn't the most exemplary Christian. Both he and Nancy believed in the power of psychics. Nancy had a personal psychic (an older woman...I forget her name) and Ronnie, for instance, tried to use psychic, Uri Gellar, to use his mind power to subvert the Soviet Union. All the more interesting, considering the religious right's love of Ronnie and their campaign against Harry Potter.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Jimmy Carter..."good man, but bad president"

Amusing, yet again. Republicans like to state that Clinton's economic success was due to Reagan and Bush, and that their programs didn't kick in until during his term. So, in effect, by that same logic, wouldn't Carter's problems have been caused by Nixon and Ford's policies?

In fact, they were. The fuel crisis was due to Nixon's encouragement of OPEC to raise fuel prices.

The inflation problems? Reagan never solved them either. He simply just changed the legal definition of "inflation," which became mostly on labor wages. If we went under the Carter-era definition of inflation, which reflected on consumer goods prices mostly, we are still under high inflation.

Low inflation in the 1970s = low consumer prices

Low inflation in 2002 = low labor wages

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
The U.S. government is formed on a system of checks and balances between three areas: legislative, judicial, and executive. When one branch suddenly believes itself to be above the law and above the proper use of the law, then that to me becomes tyranny.

So very true. As a special legal invesitgator once said while investigating the Nixon Administration's Whitewater crimes:
NO ONE is above the law; NOT EVEN THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES. That special legal investigator's name was Hillary Rodham.

I hate to inform some of you, but a lot of the Palestinian and other Middle Eastern interest groups were not too fond of Clinton and his administration either, particularly Madeline Albright. About all that came of the meeting his administration arranged between Arafat and then-Israeli Prime Minister Barak was a game of basketball. If anyone deserves credit for the peace process that was underway and will hopefully resume(under the Clinton AND current Bush administrations) is former Senator George Mitchell, author and overseer of the Mitchell Plan. Also, remember that the current administration has publically endorsed an independent Palestinian state.

However, we can go all the way back through history and blame leaders for the problems of the world today. But that will not solve the problems. Let the current leaders solve it. Bush WAS elected by the letter of the law. Let him do his job.

A couple of things:
Melon, I gave up trying to rationally discuss Ronald Reagan with anyone years ago. Let's put it this way; If Hillary Clinton had hired a psychic to help Bill with his foreign policy decisions... Well, I can imagine what people would have said.
Many Republicans have a huge blind spot when it comes to Reagan. Many Democrats have a huge blind spot when it comes to Clinton. Rational discussion of the merits of either President is darn near impossible.
For instance, both Dems and Republicans seem to have this bizarre misconception that Clinton was a liberal President. Weird.

Lemonite, we actually agree on Sharon.

U2Bama, Amen on George Mitchell. The former Senate Majority leader from my home state of Maine did wonderful things in both the Middle East and Northern Ireland. Exactly what I would expect from a good Democrat...

MAP

[This message has been edited by Matthew_Page2000 (edited 01-07-2002).]

Originally posted by melon:
Amusing, yet again.

Melon, you said "amusing, yet again" to me, referencing the fact that you said "amusing" to me earlier in this thread. However, you never answered my response to your first "amusing". And why not? Because you realized after reading my response that (1)your argument that "all politicians are corrupt" had no place in this discussion because we were discussing 2 presidents and 2 presidents only and (2)that I did care to elaborate and provide backing for the whole "selling secrets to the Chinese" scandal and that (3)The Gulf War was NOTHING like the Afghanistan war and that Bush has not ignored domestic issues. Therefore, I would suggest that before you start throwing out the term "how amusing", that you answer people first.

[This message has been edited by 80sU2isBest (edited 01-07-2002).]

Melon, you said "amusing, yet again" to me, referencing the fact that you said "amusing" to me earlier in this thread. However, you never answered my response to your first "amusing". And why not?

Actually, I didn't respond to your first "amusing," because I haven't read this entire thread. I'm impatient with my 56K modem.

Because you realized after reading my response that (1)your argument that "all politicians are corrupt" had no place in this discussion because we were discussing 2 presidents and 2 presidents only and (2)that I did care to elaborate and provide backing for the whole "selling secrets to the Chinese" scandal and that (3)The Gulf War was NOTHING like the Afghanistan war and that Bush has not ignored domestic issues. Therefore, I would suggest that before you start throwing out the term "how amusing", that you answer people first.

Nope. That's not the reason. But I'll have to find your response so I can actually read it. I use "amusing" quite a bit, actually.

Melon

------------------

Urgh...this thread takes forever to load. Besides, anything else I have to say is in here:
http://forum.interference.com/u2feedback/Forum11/HTML/000981.html

To be honest, I tend to argue more partisan, subconsciously, just for the sake of arguing methinks. What I think is written above in that link. If it departs from my previous writings in here, then so be it.

Melon

------------------

I think you would find in a Clinton/Bush argument, the Americans here would be split roughly 50/50 between the two, as you would expect, but non Americans would probably be 90/10 in favour of Clinton.
Remember 80's that for non Americans here we don't reaaally (respectfuly) care about their tax plans, just about their foreign policy and international movements, and Clinton was lightyears ahead of Bush. Way way way better.

Originally posted by melon:
Nope. That's not the reason. But I'll have to find your response so I can actually read it. I use "amusing" quite a bit, actually.
Melon
oooops. sorry.

80's, I agree with you as always,

And to the rest of ya'll yambags, Give it up.. Bush Won the Election!

so, it's all right for you to mention clinton's affair, not to mention the 2000 election, but it's not all right for me to? WAIT i forgot! how stupid of me...i'm a democrat, you're a republican, therefore anything you do is right. silly me. hold on while i pop out another kid and make you some spaghetti. can i rub your feet? can i scrub the floor for you again?
tongue.gif
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

------------------
when you stop taking chances, you'll stay where you sit. you won't live any longer, but it'll feel like it.
ME!

we aren't some individual country floating along by ourselves on some planet. what we need are allies. it would've really sucked if some countries who hated us had decided to bomb the hell out of us in 1998 (kinda like what happened on 9/11) cuz they didn't like us. i may be alone on this, but i think a president who tries to make EVERYONE like him is a good thing.

------------------
when you stop taking chances, you'll stay where you sit. you won't live any longer, but it'll feel like it.
ME!

Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes:
so, it's all right for you to mention clinton's affair, not to mention the 2000 election, but it's not all right for me to? WAIT i forgot! how stupid of me...i'm a democrat, you're a republican, therefore anything you do is right. silly me. hold on while i pop out another kid and make you some spaghetti. can i rub your feet? can i scrub the floor for you again?
tongue.gif
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

Sweetie, Actually you could make me a Mayonnaise Sandwich and slice it into thirds with the Crust cut off.. Read the post please.. I did not mention Clinton's affair.. I do mention the election though, but they're set actions.. Things that are written down.. I'm not really complaining.. being a sore loser of sorts.. An example'd be like me Saying ..'Oh clinton didn't have an affair'.. It's the same sort of tact..

Sweetie, Actually you could make me a Mayonnaise Sandwich and slice it into thirds with the Crust cut off.. Read the post please.. I did not mention Clinton's affair.. I do mention the election though, but they're set actions.. Things that are written down.. I'm not really complaining.. being a sore loser of sorts.. An example'd be like me Saying ..'Oh clinton didn't have an affair'.. It's the same sort of tact..

true, you didn't, but you...oh fuck i forgot what i was gonna say. and no, you can eat the crust! *sighs*
rolleyes.gif

------------------
ME!

true, you didn't, but you...oh fuck i forgot what i was gonna say. and no, you can eat the crust! *sighs*
rolleyes.gif

Whoa.. But I do understand, us Republicans feel the same way towards you democrats.. Stereotypically, the Democrats are teh nastiest out there, Whether it be in the Media... Take Bill Maher.. though He may be just one f#cked up individual, or Judie woodrupth.. or however her name is spelt.. and Shoo.. Yes i did write shoo.. Gore was pretty nasty.. It jsut happens, when the issues are soo intense, that sometimes we Resort to Degrading comments and personal attacks to try and Mulve up an issue by linking a position with say.. an affair or something of the sort.. But when I start ripping on people.. I do tryto have a valid point in the first place so it gives me some sort of Credence to be making such a claim, More for villainy, and to keep the forum interesting, and Well.. some people just need a nice warm sh#t dropped on their Monitors when they read responses to a post. (Shakes the Hand of Dearest Khanada followed by .. perhaps a nice warm embrace)

Whoa.. But I do understand, us Republicans feel the same way towards you democrats.. Stereotypically, the Democrats are teh nastiest out there, Whether it be in the Media... Take Bill Maher.. though He may be just one f#cked up individual, or Judie woodrupth.. or however her name is spelt.. and Shoo.. Yes i did write shoo.. Gore was pretty nasty.. It jsut happens, when the issues are soo intense, that sometimes we Resort to Degrading comments and personal attacks to try and Mulve up an issue by linking a position with say.. an affair or something of the sort.. But when I start ripping on people.. I do tryto have a valid point in the first place so it gives me some sort of Credence to be making such a claim, More for villainy, and to keep the forum interesting, and Well.. some people just need a nice warm sh#t dropped on their Monitors when they read responses to a post. (Shakes the Hand of Dearest Khanada followed by .. perhaps a nice warm embrace)

That's nice Lemonite, to start ripping people (thereby ripping their character) based on their political stance - for the sole purpose of playing the villian, or just to get a rise out of people and "keep the forum more interesting" as you put it.

Nice one, mate.

This forum is plenty interesting as it is without people (and you aren't the sole culprit here) ripping into others and judging their character because they don't stack up to your political prowress.

It's pretty fucking sad to see both sides thrashing each other just for fucks's sake of it all. Whatever. It gets real old real fast seeing republicans bashing democrats, and democrats bashing republicans. If any of you (and you know who you are) want to better represent the party you respect, then you'd refrain from the arrogant insults and have a bit more self control when formulating a rebuttal.

For Clinton having an affair, who cares. Most people do I guess.

And for Bush, two weeks ago he didn't knew what was Argentina's capital (that's no joke at all.. he said "Santiago") and sent a message to the new President (the actual one) stating : "Congratulations. This is democracy", or something like this... geez... does he knows the President of Argentina wasn't elected by the people ? mmmmmm.. suspicious. But he carries well high the flag.

------------------
United Nations : www.un.org - UNICEF (United Nations Children's Fund) : www.unicef.org
UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) : www.unesco.org

Ej?rcito Zapatista de Liberaci?n Nacional (EZLN) : www.ezln.org
"The one who governs with weapons is surely poor in ideas" - Marcos

Solidarit?s : <A HREF="http://www.solidarites.org

Parti" TARGET=_blank>www.solidarites.org

Parti</A> pour une Alternative Progressiste : www.parti-rap.org

we aren't some individual country floating along by ourselves on some planet. what we need are allies. i may be alone on this, but i think a president who tries to make EVERYONE like him is a good thing.
And we HAVE allies. Mexico, Canada, Germany, Britain, Israel, the list goes on and on. But you can't please everyone. So, we need a leader that will stick to what he knows is right; what is best for the country he represents.

It jsut happens, when the issues are soo intense, that sometimes we Resort to Degrading comments and personal attacks to try and Mulve up an issue by linking a position with say.. an affair or something of the sort..

Personally I'd say personal attacks weaken your original point. Nobody respects someone more because they're able to launch into a stream of insults at any opportunity. What is respected is having a sound understanding of the issues at hand and being able to justify your position on its own merits without insulting someone articulating a different view.

Why do we need to be confrontational anyway? Why does politics have to be about opposite groups arguing then one group "winning" at the expense of other groups? Why can't we be more inclusive and respect that people have different needs and meeting the needs of one group at the expense of others isn't a success. Especially when the same groups keep winning...

Back
Top Bottom