FYM=Drudge Report....BORING

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not even for this story?

A new soda promising to sexually arouse the person drinking it will soon be available in stores nationwide, according to a Local 6 News report.

The drink, called Turn On, is made with guarana, ginseng and caffeine.

The soda was banned in France and Denmark, but makers insist it is safe and works as an aphrodisiac.

People who have tested the soda said it tastes like cherry soda.

"We watched a film and then afterwards I felt like my senses were more like turned on, like I could feel more, I felt more on my skin," a tester said.

Doctors have already warned that the drink is not for everyone. Children, pregnant women and people with high blood pressure and diabetes should avoid the drink, according to the report.

A warning label on the can claims, "This beverage will arouse you."

Turn On is sold online for $3.50 a can and will soon be available in stores, the report said.

Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.

I think people are posting articles in order to try to generate some discussion. Some of them could, but unfortunately don't. We are an events-driven, trigger issue-driven forum. All the trigger issues are losing steam (waiting anxiously, I guess, for new blood in the forum to start all over again). The events all end up the same way--status quo. We argue the same points over and over again. Although there have been some complex and nuanced discussion on board, some different topics introduced, generally nuance and complexity are discouraged by lack of response. No sense of forward momentum.

:hmm:

* visualizes assorted FYM regulars as pack of complex, nuanced vampires with no forward momentum, fretfully tugging our black velvet cloaks and scowling disagreeably at each other through clenched cuspids, as we await an infusion of fresh blood *

Cherry flavored arousal for $3.50 a can, huh?

:lol:

Hey, you're one of the nuanced, Yolland.

I am being greedy, aren't I?

Last edited:
I just think we have had better days in this forum...either that or I am beginning to turn into a grumpy old man.

It just seems sad that I can come in here and predict which stories I will find directly on Drudge....

Dreadsox said:
either that or I am beginning to turn into a grumpy old man.

now go drink your Turn On and be quiet :wink:

The whole of Interference has seen better days, but I still enjoy FYM. At least in here you don't have to put up with the childish bizarre antics that you have to put up with elsewhere. You know you spend too much time here too when you correctly predict who did them. So most days I'm grateful for FYM.

Is AMERICA........i mean ,,,,IS the USA's #1 priority to be the most sexed up nation in the world?

italy is in 2nd place

Dreadsox said:
I just think we have had better days in this forum...either that or I am beginning to turn into a grumpy old man.

It just seems sad that I can come in here and predict which stories I will find directly on Drudge....

:up:

It has seen better days. The opportunities to take an issue and break it down and analyze the parts are being replaced with unproductive partisian angles or interjection of unrelated, divisive issues.

You can predict the Drudge stories and the response to said stories.

Drudge Report

NBC OLYMPIC COVERAGE OFF TO MESSY START: DID BIRDS DISCHARGE ON COURIC?
Wed Feb 08 2006 11:44:34 ET

I think Tom Werner was behind it, I smell a conspiracy-or at the very least bird poop

cc1.jpg

I love David Letterman so much

Top Ten Slogans For The New Sex Soda

10. "Have a glass for your fine ass"

9. "Soft drink? I don't think so..."

8. "Goes down nice and easy...just like you"

7. "Get fizzy, get bizzy"

6. "Makes more than your tastebuds tingle"

5. "Available in 'Classic' or 'Brokeback'"

4. "Why not put a kitty in your pants?"

3. "Have a coke and a smile, a smoke and a long satisfying nap"

2. "It's like a carbonated lapdance"

1. "Get it in the can"

:crack: OK, I just spent a couple of hours poring over old threads from the FYM archives (ca. early-mid 2004) to see just how different things used to be, and here are a few of my observations based on what I've read.

--For the most part, I cannot agree with the assertion I've seen made a few times that people in general were more moderate, less partisan back then. With one notable exception of someone who does indeed seem to have become less moderate (which IMHO--so what?), I found that the same familiar people were toeing the same familiar right-leaning, left-leaning, and centrist lines respectively.

--I did get the impression, however, that the number of posters taking a centrist, conciliatory tack was considerably higher back then. I am not sure what to attribute this to. Part of it may be coincidental, since a disproportional number of the no-longer-with-us posters also seemed to be the same ones who repeatedly struck me as having a moderate or centrist tone. Perhaps something Really Big happened which drove them out and I just missed it, or perhaps it was random bad luck that the middle ground happened to be where the cookie crumbled.

--The overall number of FYM regulars seemed to be considerably higher then than it is now--though I admit I did not attempt any sort of post(er) count to verify this. As a side note, I also noticed that quite a few people who are still very much around in Greater Interferenceland were once regular FYM posters, but now no longer are.

--There was a notable tendency for the average post (regardless of stance) to be considerably longer and more thought-through compared to now. Similarly, there seemed to be far more instances of sustained discussion of a particular point, where contributing posters kept at it for what must have been quite a long online session.

--I can't really say that people's behavior seemed more civil and courteous overall, as I saw plenty of sniping, cheap potshots and pissiness. However, I did get the impression that the larger "middle ground" presence often saved threads from being derailed by skirmishes which probably *would* derail them today, most likely by making the more partisan folks feel a little less misunderstood.

--There was MUCH more moderating going on back then than there is now. At times, and with particular mods, I felt that this actually strayed into manipulative, invasive micromanagement on occasion--nonetheless, overall, this unquestionably seemed to be a factor which helped to keep the peace. One mod in particular was admirably skilled at heading off explosions by making each poster feel heard and acknowledged.

--Overall, a much higher percentage of threads seemed devoted to explicitly political/politicized issues, while a much lower percentage seemed devoted to anecdotal, "feature-story" type ones. I doubt that this particular factor has much to do with the resulting quality of discussion in the big picture, but still it was interesting to note.

--Muslim fundamentalism was already a loaded topic back then, the Christian variety was not. Then again, this was all before That Election and the climate of trip-wire mutual distrust that followed (I mean in "global society" generally, not just in FYM).

-- :sad: I really regret that I was not able to get to know some of these folks before they made their exit.

Thoughts, anyone.........????

My first thought is that I can't believe you spent hours researching and analyzing this lol :wink:

Since I've only ever lurked occasionally I can't really comment thoughtfully on FYM's past. But I do notice that your observations are really that FYM is an exact microcosm reflection of the conversation of American society on the whole over the same period of time.

Which is nicely summed up in the title of the thread btw, just substitute FYM for America lol.

Yolland,

Kudos for your review and analysis of FYM from 2004, that must have taken some time. You touch on a number of interesting issues, all of which I see as the continuing evolution (more change really, not necessarily progression) of the forum. Some thoughts on the subjects you raised:

I’d say the number of participants overall has been fairly stable. Many people have jump in for a short period of time and quickly departed for a variety of reasons, whether a feeling of personal frustration or the collective policing of the body. I’d say numbers vary depending on the state of the world. We had peak numbers during the 2004 election, and higher than usual numbers following Katrina.

I agree that the 2004 election did change the political landscape, seemingly requiring everyone to declare “red” or “blue”.

I agree that the presence of moderators is far different than it was just a year ago. It is not an easy job with little reward other than the satisfaction of keeping a body communicating well. It is also difficult for moderators to participate both as interested individuals and as neutral moderators. But, I would say the collective policing of the forum by the membership at-large has fallen off. People new to FYM would get a ration from all sides if they were trolling or just trying to incite controversy. I’ve noticed some statements previously deemed impermissible by the collective group now tend to go unchallenged.

Post length may have shortened due to the nature of the communication. In this format, content can be ignored or picked apart, thoughtful questions can go unanswered, or statements can be interpreted to avoid underlying issues.

I’d also agree with the shift from political issues to anecdotal stories. I also see a shift from conceptual subject matter to discussions centering on people (who said it, instead of what they said). Perhaps we are not getting the questions that accompanied a posted story to help frame the discussion or give it specific context.

There are many elements which reflect American society today, but I would not say the sentiments of the US as a whole is represented by FYM membership.

thanks for your post, Yolland.

i would also add that 2004 was a seismic year in FYM for two reasons -- the US Presidential Elections (lots of potential in the air), and the fact that we were all waiting (panting, really) for a new U2 album. now, as U2 cycles out and goes into hibernation for a while, i would imagine that Interference as a whole will likewise be less busy (and i've heard from other people who are not FYM posters that the board, as a whole, has seen better days).

yolland said:
:crack: OK, I just spent a couple of hours poring over old threads from the FYM archives (ca. early-mid 2004) to see just how different things used to be, and here are a few of my observations based on what I've read.

Thoughts, anyone.........????

I was banned for eight months or so from FYM that year through the elections (not Interference, as a whole), and this place went really far-right in my absence. I cleaned house when I was allowed back in. :sexywink:

Melon

Last edited:
melon said:

I was banned for eight months or so from FYM that year through the elections (not Interference, as a whole), and this place went really far-right in my absence. I cleaned house when I was allowed back in. :sexywink:

Melon

Itried to hold the fort on some issues for you!!!:madspit:

Back
Top Bottom