FYM Definition of Democrats/Republicans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BostonAnne said:

Out of curiosity, what did Clinton do to destroy your faith in the Democratic party? Have sex with that woman? What conservative fiscal plan could top getting rid of the deficit?

I've always thought that way also. Getting rid of the deficit was a big time fiscally conservative deal. Liberals raised hell over some economic stuff Clinton did, especially the welfare reform bill of 1996. It's funny, you think of deficit spending as a liberal thing. Well, not lately of course.

Last edited:
Dreadsox said:
Just want to clarify, Lilly posted the Democratic and Republican Platforms for Texas.....

Not the National Platforms.

Thanks for pointing that out Dread. I copied below from the National Republican Committee's site and it sounds much better to me:

http://www.rnc.org/gopinfo/gopoath

The Republican Oath

I believe that the proper function of government is to do for the people those things that have to be done but cannot be done, or cannot be done as well by individuals, and that the most effective government is government closest to the people.

I believe that good government is based on the individual and that each person's ability, dignity, freedom and responsibility must be honored and recognized.

I believe that free enterprise and the encouragement of individual initiative and incentive have given this nation an economic system second to none.

I believe that sound money policy should be our goal.

I believe in equal rights, equal justice and equal opportunity for all, regardless of race, creed, age, sex or national origin. I believe that persons with disabilities should be afforded equal rights, equal justice and equal opportunity as well.

I believe we must retain those principles worth retaining, yet always be receptive to new ideas with an outlook broad enough to accommodate thoughtful change and varying points of view.

I believe that Americans value and should preserve their feeling of national strength and pride, and at the same time share with people everywhere a desire for peace and freedom and the extension of human rights throughout the world.

Finally, I believe that the Republican Party is the best vehicle for translating these ideals into positive and successful principles of government.

-----------------------------------------

What do you interrupt these to mean?

I believe that good government is based on the individual and that each person's ability, dignity, freedom and responsibility must be honored and recognized.

This needs to be explained further.

I believe that the proper function of government is to do for the people those things that have to be done but cannot be done, or cannot be done as well by individuals, and that the most effective government is government closest to the people.

Does this mean that everything should be done at the local level and through real estate taxes?

The front page of this web site is bashing all of the democratic candidates for the 2004 election. Oh brother!
http://www.rnc.org/Newsroom/RNCResearch/research022103.htm

(edited to fix error in link and spelling)

Last edited:
BostonAnne said:

Out of curiosity, what did Clinton do to destroy your faith in the Democratic party? Have sex with that woman? What conservative fiscal plan could top getting rid of the deficit?

OK...Clinton.....

Here it goes.

#1 Start off with cutting the reserves when he came into office. I watched people with 14-16 years in the Reserves being told they had to go become cooks, if they wanted a pension. I was pretty disgusted at how quickly people who had given years to their country were dismissed.
#2 The sex part did not bother me, good for him.
#3 The lying under oath bothered me. The fact that men and women in the service woudl be court marshalled for the same behavior, lying under oath, I find horrible. Obstruction of justice bothers me.
#4 The Pattern of sexual harrassment bothers me.
#5 The definition of what 'is" is disgusted me. The fact that if his name came up in school, 4th graders would chuckle. Try teaching students the value of the word INTEGRITY, RESPONSIBILITY ect. when he was demonstrating none of these qualities.
#6 Not having the integrity to step down for the good of the country, party, ect.
#7 Getting a BJ while ordering troops into harms way. THink about it. I believe he had ordered troops into Somalia or Hatti at the time.
#8 Affirmative Action Promotions in the FBI and CIA causing some of the best career people to resign from the agencies leaving us open to terrorism. (See BREAKDOWN, Bill Gertz)
#9 Bombing Targets in other countries when (see BREAKDOWN, Bill Gertz) there was no reason to do so. Clearly, wanted to take headlines off of himself.
#10 Dragging his family through the mess he created.

But, realistically, the Democratic Party should have taken care of him. And that, to me is the most offensive thing of all. They allowed him to maintain his power. If they had taken care of business, Al Gore would have won the election. He would have been a sitting president.

AS for our State. I have switched to the Republican Party because we live in a one party state where they (DEMS) have been taxing and spending. They have abused and corrupted their postions. I am very happy to see things be shaken up in our state. I see great things in the future for Mr. Romney, should he do a good job here. The jury is still out.

PS....I missed your post. Thanks for linking me up.

BostonAnne said:

God, the Republicans are so full of shit.

Anyway, without taking this so far off-topic it'll never get back, I am frequently too liberal for the Democrats.

Caught all you by surprise there, huh! :wave:

Dreadsox said:
But, realistically, the Democratic Party should have taken care of him. And that, to me is the most offensive thing of all. They allowed him to maintain his power. If they had taken care of business, Al Gore would have won the election. He would have been a sitting president.
well, al gore's a bit of a doofus isn't he? :sexywink:

BostonAnne said:
I believe in equal rights, equal justice and equal opportunity for all, regardless of race, *****, age, sex or national origin. I believe that persons with disabilities should be afforded equal rights, equal justice and equal opportunity as well.

Not good enough. Try again.

Oh and isn't it funny that c-r-e-e-d is a blacklisted word? :lol:

Melon

Dreadsox said:

OK...Clinton.....

Here it goes.

#1 Start off with cutting the reserves when he came into office. I watched people with 14-16 years in the Reserves being told they had to go become cooks, if they wanted a pension. I was pretty disgusted at how quickly people who had given years to their country were dismissed.

That isn't fair, but on the other hand - everywhere the budget is cut will affect jobs. Should the government keep people no matter what - even when times change and the money is better placed elsewhere? If they were to keep their jobs, would the government be accused of overspending?

#2 The sex part did not bother me, good for him.
#3 The lying under oath bothered me. The fact that men and women in the service woudl be court marshalled for the same behavior, lying under oath, I find horrible. Obstruction of justice bothers me.
#4 The Pattern of sexual harrassment bothers me.
#5 The definition of what 'is" is disgusted me. The fact that if his name came up in school, 4th graders would chuckle. Try teaching students the value of the word INTEGRITY, RESPONSIBILITY ect. when he was demonstrating none of these qualities.
#6 Not having the integrity to step down for the good of the country, party, ect.
#10 Dragging his family through the mess he created.

But, realistically, the Democratic Party should have taken care of him. And that, to me is the most offensive thing of all. They allowed him to maintain his power. If they had taken care of business, Al Gore would have won the election. He would have been a sitting president

While I don't condone what he did - I do believe that it should have been left as his private life and never should have gone to court in the first place. To make any President admit to sexual relations under oath is ridiculous to me. Yeah, he screwed up and certainly didn't want to admit that to the public - but how many people have to air their sex life under oath?

Can you imagine if JFK got the same treatment and his sexual indiscretions were exposed in the same light?

#7 Getting a BJ while ordering troops into harms way. THink about it. I believe he had ordered troops into Somalia or Hatti at the time.

I can't imagine any President ordering troops into anywhere without his administration sitting in the room. It just doesn't seem like a private thing to do. I missed the details on that story, but it doesn't sound logical to me.

#8 Affirmative Action Promotions in the FBI and CIA causing some of the best career people to resign from the agencies leaving us open to terrorism. (See BREAKDOWN, Bill Gertz)
#9 Bombing Targets in other countries when (see BREAKDOWN, Bill Gertz) there was no reason to do so. Clearly, wanted to take headlines off of himself.

I don't have a comment to this. What I do know is that he is the first President in a long while to get out of the deficit and into a surplus-spending pattern. I liked the direction he wished to take our country in domestic matters. While I can't blame the expense of Sept 11th on President Bush, I am still scratching my head as to why he issued $300 refunds to everyone in August 2001.

AS for our State. I have switched to the Republican Party because we live in a one party state where they (DEMS) have been taxing and spending. They have abused and corrupted their postions. I am very happy to see things be shaken up in our state. I see great things in the future for Mr. Romney, should he do a good job here. The jury is still out.

PS....I missed your post. Thanks for linking me up.

Michael Dukakis raised taxes temporarily in 1989. He left office in 1991 and we've had a Republican as governor since. That's 12 years ago. Why is the taxing and spending in Massachusetts the Democrats fault?

Dreadsox said:
they (DEMS) have been taxing and spending

California can be summarized in three numbers: 21, 28, 36

During the Davis administration:

California's population has increased by 21%

State revenue increased by 28%

State spending increased by 36%

The California house the democrats built.

BostonAnne said:

That isn't fair, but on the other hand - everywhere the budget is cut will affect jobs. Should the government keep people no matter what - even when times change and the money is better placed elsewhere? If they were to keep their jobs, would the government be accused of overspending?

Hey, I never admitted I was not biased. But there is something wrong in the way VETERANS were treated. There is something wrong with giving to your country for 14-17 years, and being pushed out the door.

BostonAnne said:

While I don't condone what he did - I do believe that it should have been left as his private life and never should have gone to court in the first place. To make any President admit to sexual relations under oath is ridiculous to me. Yeah, he screwed up and certainly didn't want to admit that to the public - but how many people have to air their sex life under oath?

Can you imagine if JFK got the same treatment and his sexual indiscretions were exposed in the same light?

Why was he under oath in the first place? I am not talking about a simple affair which many many people have on a daily basis. He was charged with harrassment and even if you agree with the charges or not, and I did not, he swore an oath to the constitution. He violated that oath. The sex stuff, yah, it is rediculous, but again, there is a reason he was under oath and being questioned.

BostonAnne said:

Michael Dukakis raised taxes temporarily in 1989. He left office in 1991 and we've had a Republican as governor since. That's 12 years ago. Why is the taxing and spending in Massachusetts the Democrats fault?

Anne, who controls the House and Senate? The executive Branch is just one Branch of the governement.

PEACE

Matt

Last edited:
Isn't Bush trying to cut housing and education for our current military. I know he also wants to cut Veterans medical benifits. My father-in-law was diagnosed with Cancer several years ago and if it wasn't for the VA he would have received no treatment (self-employed contractor). As it was he had to drive over 2 hours away and stay for weeks away from his family while receiving treatment. I can't imagine cutting any more or closing more facilities.
My cousin is an nursing adminisrator at a Veterans Hospital in Wyoming and is always wondering how to fund the care of patients with more and more budget cuts.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom