frustrated inc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
why did the americans put a 25 million dollar bounty on saddams head NOW instead of BEFORE the war? maybe that would have been enough of a motivation for someone to do it instead of causing the entire army to have to go in?

and whats the point of this reward? saddam means nothing. what, your gonna tell me hell show you where the wmd are? sure he will, because afterall, iraq has them to begin with.

i recommend reading ignorant armies.

i also recommend that americans please vote their crazy cheif out of office in 2004.

hows the economy doing, there georgy boy? maybe you should pay attention to your shortcomings at home before you try and conquer the world in your image.

end of rant.

I think the one single thing that has irritated me more than anything else about dubya's tenure is that the much hyped taxbreak he'd advocated went through Congress but only after they chopped the children's tax credit for the lowest income earners so it benefitted everyone but those who needed it most.

I was alerted to this via this column, it didn't seem to get into many news bulletins elsewhere - http://www.time.com/time/columnist/klein/article/0,9565,455907,00.html

brettig said:
I think the one single thing that has irritated me more than anything else about dubya's tenure is that the much hyped taxbreak he'd advocated went through Congress but only after they chopped the children's tax credit for the lowest income earners so it benefitted everyone but those who needed it most.

I was alerted to this via this column, it didn't seem to get into many news bulletins elsewhere - http://www.time.com/time/columnist/klein/article/0,9565,455907,00.html

terrible isnt it? "no child left behind." well, none of the rich ones anyway.

george knows about tax breaks but cant figure out that economy reform requires brains.

Red Ships of Scalla-Festa,

"why did the americans put a 25 million dollar bounty on saddams head NOW instead of BEFORE the war? maybe that would have been enough of a motivation for someone to do it instead of causing the entire army to have to go in?"

There is something your not fundamentally understanding. The Coalition went to war against Saddam's regime, not just Saddam himself. In addition, prior to the war, you could have offered 25 trillion dollars, but no one would have been able to deliver the goods. The reasons the large Security structure that Saddam had developed around him since he had been in power which made revolt and murder from within pratically impossible. I suggest you read "The Threatening Storm" by Kenneth Pollack. Kenneth Pollack accurately explains the 12 different internal security organizations that Saddam had to protect himself. The most extensive in human history for a single person.

Today, Saddams military and the 12 Security organizations that defended him have been destroyed. This now allows the possibility for a 25 million reward in return for Saddam to actually have a chance of working.

Capturing Saddam actually does mean a lot. Saddam controlled the country for 25 years and brutalized and scared the people in such an unbelievable way. Again, read Kenneth Pollacks "The Threatening Storm" for more on that. Many Iraqi people and officials are afraid to speak because they fear Saddam is somehow going to "get them" as he use to always do to those that said the slightest word in opposition to him.

With Saddam captured, Iraqi people would finally be freed of this "fear" whether the "fear" is a real threat or not. It is also possible that Saddam once captured and under interogation would speak. Most people under those conditions eventually do.

"i also recommend that americans please vote their crazy cheif out of office in 2004."

I recommend Europeans learn how accomplish things on the international scene like America has. Bosnia and Kosovo could of been a start in their own backyard, but America had to come in and solve those crises for Europe as well.

"hows the economy doing, there georgy boy? maybe you should pay attention to your shortcomings at home before you try and conquer the world in your image."

Despite the USA's economic problems, the 2002 UN Human Development index on standard of living rated the USA at #6 in the world. Only Sweden, Norway, Belgium, Australia, and Canada were ahead of it. The Netherlands was at #8 behind the USA.

Red Ships of Scalla-Festa,

If you understood what Saddam did to the Iraqi people, you'd appreciate the significance of capturing Saddam.

I thought you had to pay Federal Income Taxes in America before you recieving a refund?
I heard those that werent recieving refunds was only because they werent required to pay Federal taxes.
They made too little money already.

So how would one recieve a refund when they never paid in the first place?

Atticus.

Last edited:
Its called a tax credit - before the recut they were entitled to around $400 extra per annum. And I've heard enough about American wages to know the lowest levels hardly get near to covering the cost of living.

Atticus Finch said:
I thought you had to pay Federal Income Taxes in America before you recieving a refund?
I heard those that werent recieving refunds was only because they werent required to pay Federal taxes.
They made too little money already.

So how would one recieve a refund when they never paid in the first place?

Atticus.

Exactly what brettig said...its a credit. Most working people in the lowest income brackets spend their entire paychecks on making ends meet...They DO pay federal taxes but low wage earners with children are entitled to get most or all of their federal taxes refunded plus child care credits, Earned Income Credit, etc.

I prepare taxes for several very low income people every year and they count on their tax refunds for a variety of reasons...for some, its the only way they can replace an old car or buy their kids brand new clothes. I pay taxes through the nose but I don't begrudge people who struggle to make ends meet a little extra.

The sad part is, I qualify for the expanded credit but to be very honest, I don't need it to survive...someone who makes $12,000 per year DOES need it. :down:

Back
Top Bottom