French scientist calls Gore a 'crook' and... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2008, 02:36 PM   #21
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2

Ellen Goodman of the Boston Globe, David Roberts of the climate website Grist, and Helen Caldicott of the Union of Concerned Scientists.
And has anyone on this board mentioned how they look up to these people or recommended their books? Just throwing out quotes for the hell of it won't get you anywhere. You brought up Beck, no one brought up these individuals. You need to stop lumping "the left" all together, it's a bad habit of yours.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:39 PM   #22
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Oh, come on now. You've never said anything dumb? By your standard, everyone on earth is dumb.
I can honestly say I've never said anything that abysmal. And that's just one quote, there are dozens more.

Rush and Beck are extremely discusting hypocritical hateful men and do not deserve the hero status you give them.

Old 01-01-2008, 03:43 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
You brought up Beck, no one brought up these individuals.
Correct, but like I said, it's hard for me to get real mad at him considering the outrageous quotes that I presented, and ones like them, seem never to be brought up; their idiocy never challenged. Again, whatever Beck quote you're talking about was a dumb thing to say, I'm sure. Same goes for Rush and any dumb thing he might say. Doesn't mean I still can't admire the men and their principles and ideas and beliefs. It's called forgiveness. Tell me some of your heroes (Al Gore, right?). I bet we can find a few stupid things they have said or done.

And I'm going to leave your "discusting, hypocritical, hateful men" spiel alone.

And please present me with the Beck quote you're talking about. I'd like to examine it.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:46 PM   #24
Blue Crack Supplier

But Beck and Limbaugh are people you defend.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:55 PM   #25
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Correct, but like I said, it's hard for me to get real mad at him considering the outrageous quotes that I presented, and ones like them, seem never to be brought up; their idiocy never challenged. Again, whatever Beck quote you're talking about was a dumb thing to say, I'm sure. Same goes for Rush and any dumb thing he might say. Doesn't mean I still can't admire the men and their principles and ideas and beliefs. It's called forgiveness. Tell me some of your heroes (Al Gore, right?). I bet we can find a few stupid things they have said or done.

And I'm going to leave your "discusting, hypocritical, hateful men" spiel alone.

And please present me with the Beck quote you're talking about. I'd like to examine it.
Gore, my hero? No.

"Al Gore's not going to be rounding up Jews and exterminating them. It is the same tactic, however. The goal is different. The goal is globalization. The goal is global carbon tax. The goal is the United Nations running the world. That is the goal. Back in the 1930s, the goal was get rid of all of the Jews and have one global government. You got to have an enemy to fight. And when you have an enemy to fight, then you can unite the entire world behind you, and you seize power. That was Hitler's plan. His enemy: the Jew. Al Gore's enemy, the U.N.'s enemy: global warming. Then you get the scientists -- eugenics. You get the scientists -- global warming. Then you have to discredit the scientists who say, 'That's not right.' And you must silence all dissenting voices. That's what Hitler did."

Classy eh? This is the man you choose to admire. Along with his other racist, sexist, and homophobic comments I can't stand the man. You may be able to write them off as "dumb things he said", I on the other hand realize what you say often defines your inner feelings.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:56 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

You may be able to write them off as "dumb things he said", I on the other hand realize what you say often defines your inner feelings.
Wait, aren't you the same person that, whenever I present stupid quotes from Democrats, says "Oh, they're just quotes. Quotes don't mean anything"? Why all of a sudden so passionate?

Unless I misread, it appears that Beck did not say that Gore's mission and goal are anywhere close to being comparable. That being said, is it not true that Gore uses fear- mass, wild fear, as well as DOWNRIGHT LIES AND EXAGERRATIONS to get his message across and expand his movement? Hitler did that same thing. Gore also blends a small piece of truth with large quantities of untruth, and people believe him. And isn't it true that often, dissenting voices are ridiculed and/or shut down altogether, and become the target?
Old 01-01-2008, 06:13 PM   #27
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Wait, aren't you the same person that, whenever I present stupid quotes from Democrats, says "Oh, they're just quotes. Quotes don't mean anything"? Why all of a sudden so passionate?
What? I said those quotes have nothing on the actual failure of the war. What are you talking about?

Quote:

Unless I misread, it appears that Beck did not say that Gore's mission and goal are anywhere close to being comparable. That being said, is it not true that Gore uses fear- mass, wild fear, as well as DOWNRIGHT LIES AND EXAGERRATIONS to get his message across and expand his movement? Hitler did that same thing. Gore also blends a small piece of truth with large quantities of untruth, and people believe him. And isn't it true that often, dissenting voices are ridiculed and/or shut down altogether, and become the target?
Yes, you misread it. He said the goal was different but the plan was the same. It was idiotic and it's hard to take an idiot seriously.

I haven't seen any downright lies or wild fear. I haven't seen anyone prove any downright lies. Do I think some exagerrate the urgency? Yes, but if you don't make it look urgent we'll continue to sit on our asses and do nothing about it. Global warming isn't anything new, yet we've been ignoring it for decades. If you want someone to come by and tell you you aren't at fault therefore you can't do anything it, in order to make you feel better, so be it. But I believe in trying to make this world a better place.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:14 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:33 AM
Gore is Mr Pomposity personified, but comparing him with Hitler is stupid.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:14 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

Unless I misread, it appears that Beck did not say that Gore's mission and goal are anywhere close to being comparable.

But you have to pay attention, though to get that point. Technically, he conceded that Gore's goal is not comparable, but he made sure that's the overall message you get anyway. And "the goal is the United Nations to run the world?" You really buy this stuff?

Quote:
Gore also blends a small piece of truth with large quantities of untruth, and people believe him.

That sounds more like someone else we all know well. coughcoughrushlimbaughcoughcough.

Quote:
And isn't it true that often, dissenting voices are ridiculed

There's a big difference between that and this. . .

Quote:
and/or shut down altogether, and become the target?
The former is acceptable (though I'd argue it's not the best way to change the other guy's mind), the latter, not only acceptable but NOT happening to anyone either on the left or right in this country. Anyone who tells you otherwise is trying to sell you something.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:40 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

I haven't seen any downright lies or wild fear.
Here's one: Remember the depiction of Florida drowning, beginning to be covered by the ocean? Well apparently, that picture was- get this- "based on a water level rise that is 5 times higher than the high end of the worst-case scenario given by scientists who thought the UN report was too conservative."

One more interesting thing, taken directly from Beck's book that I found funny: "You seem to be criticized only if you say there will be less devastation. When Gore says there will be more, he's not only embraced, he wins Oscars."

But, if it doesn't bother you guys....

Old 01-01-2008, 07:23 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:33 AM
Why won't Al Gore Debate?

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=59470
Old 01-01-2008, 07:29 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:33 AM
Why don't you debate the points DrTeeth brought up after you said earlier that you are waiting for such rebuttals?

Is waiting cheaper? http://www.ase.tufts.edu/gdae/Pubs/r...daClimate.html

Can we risk it, or afford it, to play this lame "Let's look who is right!" game?
Old 01-01-2008, 08:05 PM   #33
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:33 AM
Can I ask my question again, the one that no one here will answer?

Question: If the global warming people are wrong, what has been lost in getting people to conserve and be more mindful of their impact on the environment? If the global warming people are right, what has been lost ignoring their warnings?

Maybe this is the thread where I get an answer!
Old 01-01-2008, 10:07 PM   #34
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Here's one: Remember the depiction of Florida drowning, beginning to be covered by the ocean? Well apparently, that picture was- get this- "based on a water level rise that is 5 times higher than the high end of the worst-case scenario given by scientists who thought the UN report was too conservative."
An exageration...
Quote:

One more interesting thing, taken directly from Beck's book that I found funny: "You seem to be criticized only if you say there will be less devastation. When Gore says there will be more, he's not only embraced, he wins Oscars."

But, if it doesn't bother you guys....

This doesn't contradict anything, it just says it won't be as severe and quick...

Hey, but keep pretending we can ignore the issue.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:09 PM   #35
Blue Crack Supplier

OK. So, let me get this straight. Because Al Gore has made incorrect statements, global warming must be made up?

Bullshit logic.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:10 PM   #36
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by the iron horse
Why won't Al Gore Debate?

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=59470
Why would Gore debate scientists? Let scientists debate scientists.

Why don't you debate?
Old 01-01-2008, 10:10 PM   #37
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Why don't you debate?
Old 01-01-2008, 10:22 PM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha
Can I ask my question again, the one that no one here will answer?

Question: If the global warming people are wrong, what has been lost in getting people to conserve and be more mindful of their impact on the environment? If the global warming people are right, what has been lost ignoring their warnings?

Maybe this is the thread where I get an answer!
My guess is that you'll get something that goes like this: it is negatively impacting the economy to have to bring the industrial sector up to standards that may be unnecessary. And it's also bad for the government to intrude into the business of private corporations (individual people's bedrooms and vaginas are totally different).

But I'd love a less predictable, more out-there answer.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:59 PM   #39
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

But I'd love a less predictable, more out-there answer.
Hell, I'd love an answer.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:47 AM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
OK. So, let me get this straight. Because Al Gore has made incorrect statements, global warming must be made up?

Bullshit logic.
Huh? When did I ever say it was made up? And when did I ever say we should ignore the issue, BVS? Sheesh, talk about exaggerations...

The condition that we leave this planet in is important, sure. I'm all for not polluting or littering and all that good stuff. But the alarmism out there, mixed with the lies and exaggerations of AlGore's followers really make it hard for me to put global warming high on my list of important issues. What, all of a sudden, is so bad about there being skeptics who have facts to back them up and happen to point out some lies that everyone seems to not care about? Considering we've gone from worrying about global cooling to global warming back to cooling and now back to warming again, it's hard to take seriously and believe what is out there and presented to us. Is this not the same group of people in this forum who once told me to "challenge and question everything?"

And if you want to talk about bullshit logic, philly, how about martha's statement: If the global warming people are wrong, what has been lost in getting people to conserve and be more mindful of their impact on the environment? If the global warming people are right, what has been lost ignoring their warnings?"

Fair question, but that's like me saying, "Alright, I want all of you here to give me $1000. Now, I want you to pick a number 1-10. If you happen to pick the same number I was thinking of, I'll give you your money back. Assuming you don't pick the right number, I'll donate it all to charity."

Would you give me $1000? I don't think you would. And it's not because you don't like charity (just like how I'm not against helping the planet). What if the amount changed to $1 instead of $1000? I'd probably get a few more people willing to play along. The problem is the extremity of it, you see. I'm happy to not litter and to turn off lights when I leave a room. But telling me what cars to buy? Telling my what light bulbs I can and can't have? Telling me that global warming is as great a threat to me as radical Islamists? Telling me that Florida is going to be underwater WAY, WAY sooner than it actually ever would be? Sorry, those lies and irresponsible presentations just turns me off entirely.