Freedom Fries or Chips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Angela Harlem said:
:sigh: so is anyone offended with this thread too? Or just some. I cant follow anymore what French jokes are ok and what aren't. Racial slurs, not racism, for those who require clarification.

Angela I am completely confused. I mean this sincerely. I posted an article from yahoo. It is news. It is current events. It is harmless and actually as the article points out.....silly.

It is silly because the United States changed French Fries to Freedom Fries and it turns out that as the French Embassy pointed out "created by Belgium. This makes it even more silly.

Now, I am going to be extremely straight up here. There have been more posts that I have found offensive about my country and my president than I have fingers and toes to count on. I am not whining, bitching, or complaining about them. I believe people have a right to express their opinions so I have not once complained about someone offending me to any of the mods. I know for a fact, that good memebers are not posting here any more because they are extremely offended by the God awful stuff that has been posted in here about America, Our President, our Military, and our citizens.

Let the thread go on. It is news. It is an issue. Let people deal with it in their posts like many of us here have haad to do with the stuff that it said and posted.

Dread, I wasn't offended, not implying you did it to offend either. This is possibly getting out of hand. I've pm'd you to explain, sorry it was a long one lol.

Be best like you said, to leave it and let the thread continue.

:)

Dreadsox said:

Now, I am going to be extremely straight up here. There have been more posts that I have found offensive about my country and my president than I have fingers and toes to count on. I am not whining, bitching, or complaining about them... I know for a fact, that good memebers are not posting here any more because they are extremely offended by the God awful stuff that has been posted in here about America, Our President, our Military, and our citizens.

I too am going to be straight up here. I have felt for quite a while that FYM is dominated by right-wing U.S. citizens. On numerous occasions I have read comments in FYM by American* rightists implying that U.S. citizens are superior to all other people by virtue of the fact that they live in America. Unfortunately, these rightist Americans are usually wrapped up in the flag, which often seems to blind them of their own ignorance.

I'm sorry Dread, but I don't sympathize with you on this issue in the least. It goes both ways here. Yes, people bash President Bush. People bash President Clinton as well. It's really easy to figure out: If you're a Republican, you're probably going to bash Clinton often and with delight. If you're a Democrat, you're probably going to bash Bush often and with delight. Of course with the imminent war, Bush is now getting catching hell from people of all political stripes and citizenry.

As for the slams against the U.S. military, I know that some Interferencers have served/do serve in the military, so of course they are going to take exception to any perceived slams thereof. However, I think most of these slams are aimed at the military decision-makers and the military mentality. I do take issue with the comments I've read in the newspaper (and even in FYM) made by some soldiers who seem to view war as a game. I can understand that they may do that as a way of coping, but it doesn't make it any more valid for me.

That said, I don't have a negative view of people who wear a uniform just because they wear a uniform. In the past I've at least entertained the idea of joining the military as a career. I just think war and battle are complicated moral issues, much more complicated than some people would care to acknowledge. I can't recall any instance on this board where someone has been bashed solely because they serve in the military, but if anyone, military personnel or not, expresses an opinion or idea that another person finds outrageous, you can bet there's going to be some debate, and here in FYM, the debate often gets (too) heated.

Again, I feel like FYM has for the last couple of years been dominated by right-wing Americans. I suspect you feel the opposite is true.

*I'm using the term "America(n)" to refer to the U.S. only.

Pub Crawler,

I am not sure if we are saying the same thing. I am NOT complaining and I have not complained. I am pointing out what you said better than I....

It goes both ways.

As to my original post, I have always tried to be objective and fair when I am posting as have many other people who are on the "right". There have been "conservative" folk who have posted things I do not agree with and have been embarrassed by. Maybe what you do not know, is that when we conservatives have seen someone on the conservative side of the aisle post something offensive, is that some of us have sent pm's and emails letting the individual know they were, well out of line with their comments.

I digress.....it does go both ways....and for people to say that criticizing the French is Racist....is in and of itself quite wrong. Having been labeled a racist in another thread about two months ago, I am quite familiar with the word.

Peace

Hey France! Here's Spud in Your Eye!

By Lloyd Grove
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, March 12, 2003; Page C01

Some might say "cheap publicity stunt" or even "silly waste of congressional salaries" about the antics of House Administration Committee Chairman Bob Ney (R-Ohio) and Rep. Walter Jones (R-N.C.).

Some might use those unpleasant phrases -- but never us!

We are, frankly, very grateful that they called a news conference yesterday to announce the deletion of the word "French" and the substitution of the word "Freedom" alongside fries and toast on the menus of House restaurants.

"This action today is a small but symbolic effort to show the strong displeasure of many on Capitol Hill with the actions of our so-called ally, France," Ney told a throng of journalists assembled in the Longworth Building cafeteria to receive his important news as U.S. soldiers girded for possible war against Iraq.

Jones -- between a dozen other interviews -- told The Post's Anne Schroeder: "This isn't a political or publicity stunt. We feel sincere as to what we've done. This isn't going to change the debate or course of the world. It's a gesture just to say to the French, 'Up yours!' "

French Ambassador Jean-David Levitte had no official response to yesterday's event -- which caused the embassy switchboard to light up with calls from reporters seeking comment. But embassy press officer Jeannie Freud, saying she spoke for herself and not her government, told us: "Either these two have a great sense of humor or no sense of humor at all."

She added: "First of all, French fries are not French at all -- they are from Belgium. . . . It is too bad that someone would take a beautiful word like 'freedom' and put it on something as trivial as a potato. Freedom is too important for fries."

Freud -- a great-grandniece of the father of modern psychiatry -- seemed to want us to understand that sometimes a french fry is just a french fry.

Ney -- whose paternal ancestors came here, via Ireland, from Alsace-Lorraine -- insisted he has nothing against the French people, just their government. "I have about one-third French blood," he told us. "Well, maybe 20 percent."

Before Ney could adjust the percentage downward, we asked him if he intends to explore the possibility of expunging from the menu such items as Russian dressing, chicken chow mein and sauerkraut -- from countries whose governments also have criticized U.S. policy in Iraq. "We can look at the whole food chain," Ney answered, "but I think the French and their statements have rubbed a lot of us the wrong way."

meegannie said:
Hey France! Here's Spud in Your Eye!

By Lloyd Grove
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, March 12, 2003; Page C01

Some might say "cheap publicity stunt" or even "silly waste of congressional salaries" about the antics of House Administration Committee Chairman Bob Ney (R-Ohio) and Rep. Walter Jones (R-N.C.).

Some might use those unpleasant phrases -- but never us!

We are, frankly, very grateful that they called a news conference yesterday to announce the deletion of the word "French" and the substitution of the word "Freedom" alongside fries and toast on the menus of House restaurants.

"This action today is a small but symbolic effort to show the strong displeasure of many on Capitol Hill with the actions of our so-called ally, France," Ney told a throng of journalists assembled in the Longworth Building cafeteria to receive his important news as U.S. soldiers girded for possible war against Iraq.

Jones -- between a dozen other interviews -- told The Post's Anne Schroeder: "This isn't a political or publicity stunt. We feel sincere as to what we've done. This isn't going to change the debate or course of the world. It's a gesture just to say to the French, 'Up yours!' "

French Ambassador Jean-David Levitte had no official response to yesterday's event -- which caused the embassy switchboard to light up with calls from reporters seeking comment. But embassy press officer Jeannie Freud, saying she spoke for herself and not her government, told us: "Either these two have a great sense of humor or no sense of humor at all."

She added: "First of all, French fries are not French at all -- they are from Belgium. . . . It is too bad that someone would take a beautiful word like 'freedom' and put it on something as trivial as a potato. Freedom is too important for fries."

Freud -- a great-grandniece of the father of modern psychiatry -- seemed to want us to understand that sometimes a french fry is just a french fry.

Ney -- whose paternal ancestors came here, via Ireland, from Alsace-Lorraine -- insisted he has nothing against the French people, just their government. "I have about one-third French blood," he told us. "Well, maybe 20 percent."

Before Ney could adjust the percentage downward, we asked him if he intends to explore the possibility of expunging from the menu such items as Russian dressing, chicken chow mein and sauerkraut -- from countries whose governments also have criticized U.S. policy in Iraq. "We can look at the whole food chain," Ney answered, "but I think the French and their statements have rubbed a lot of us the wrong way."

Its interesting though that people are guided to think about French versus Freedom fries instead of foreign policy.

This is why I feel this issue is not only dumb, but also manipulative. It takes your eyes off the cruelties, doesn?t it. Have a laugh about the stupid politicians. Have a laugh about the stupid war.

So - this is the Washington Post.

Last edited:
Dreadsox said:
Maybe what you do not know, is that when we conservatives have seen someone on the conservative side of the aisle post something offensive, is that some of us have sent pm's and emails letting the individual know they were, well out of line with their comments.

Out of line of what? Of freeing your mind?

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:

Its interesting though that people are guided to think about French versus Freedom fries instead of foreign policy.

This is why I feel this issue is not only dumb, but also manipulative. It takes your eyes off the cruelties, doesn?t it. Have a laugh about the stupid politicians. Have a laugh about the stupid war.

So - this is the Washington Post.

It's making a complicated, confusing and frustrating issue trivial and stupid. The press has gotten very good at that. The politicians are expert at it. It's annoying.:mad:

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:

Out of line of what? Of freeing your mind?

Really. This place is called "Free Your Mind"...but...we have to be careful about what we say in certain threads.

I dunno, that kinda defeats the purpose, I think, but...:shrug:.

Anywho, back on the topic of the "freedom fries" instead of "french fries"...my god, the whole thing is sooooo stupid.

Angela

Maybe we can stop taking one phrase out of a post and twisting it.....

I am not going to restate what I meant about out of line...the entire post speaks for itself.

they arent boycotting the fries, they're just renaming them, I think it is hella funny, hit the French where it hurts! ;)

Dreadsox said:
Maybe we can stop taking one phrase out of a post and twisting it.....

I am not going to restate what I meant about out of line...the entire post speaks for itself.

Excuse me, Dreadsox, if you had the feeling that I was taking one phrase out of the post and twisting it.

:censored:

After all, its your business.

I think it really just shows the true colors of our Republican House...a bunch of cranky, whiny tyrants. Where is the renaming of Chinese food? Russian items? That's right...it is just anti-French sentiment rearing its ugly head.

To the Republican Party: get a fucking life.

Melon

I think that this is a sign of how we've made politics trivial and stupid, in an era when we can ill afford stupidity in world leadership. Our leaders are playing Trivial Pursuit instead of leading us. Hey, I have a vote...........

I think this whole situation is being blown out of proportion. I mean really, come on. If you wanna call them freedom fries go ahead, if not than don't. Somehow, I really don't think this is going to affect relations w/ France. In fact, kudo's to the Republicans, we're always accused of not having a sense of humor, well, there you go!!! Put that in your pipe and smoke it!!! I think all the Dem's are jealous! :sexywink:

By Guldens mustard, not French's!!!!!!!!:sexywink:

Last edited:
just thinking......

I have an image in my head of Bush at the UN taking his shoe off and slamming it down ala Kruschev screaming "THEY WILL BE CALLED FREEDOM FRIES!!!!!!!!!!"

:tongue: :ohmy:

Zooropa said:

I have an image in my head of Bush at the UN taking his shoe off and slamming it down ala Kruschev screaming "THEY WILL BE CALLED FREEDOM FRIES!!!!!!!!!!"

:laugh:

I wonder if he has the same problem w/ fries that he did w/ pretzels :tongue:

bonoman said:
i really cant believe that there are people in this thread fighting over this stupid move.

OK, I'll go to confession tomorrow and tell my priest I made an :censored:hole out of myself over this. I'm sorry, folks, I lost it. That's exactly the point, bonoman, it's so stupid. I'm frustrated because the damn politicians are doing stupid stuff like this rather than really substantial stuff to solve problems. I'm not pissed off at anyone on this board. I'm pissed off at the politicians. :madspit: :mad: :censored: :censored: :scream: :scream:

Back
Top Bottom