Free Speech = Don't Question the Media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nbcrusader

Blue Crack Addict
From the NY Times

Limbaugh Resigns From ESPN's N.F.L. Show
By RICHARD SANDOMIR

ush Limbaugh resigned last night from ESPN's "Sunday NFL Countdown" three days after he made race-related comments about how the news media view the Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb.

The remarks prompted demands for ESPN to fire Limbaugh yesterday by Gen. Wesley K. Clark, a Democratic presidential contender, and Rep. Harold Ford Jr., Democrat of Tennessee, who said that he had enlisted 20 other House Democrats and had interest from three Republicans to sign a letter to the ESPN protesting the radio commentator's comments.

On Sunday, Limbaugh elaborated on his belief that McNabb is overrated and that the Eagles' defense has carried the team over the past few seasons.

"What we have here is a little social concern in the N.F.L.," he said. "The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback can do well - black coaches and black quarterbacks doing well. There is a little hope invested in McNabb and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve."

Two of the analysts on the show, Tom Jackson and Steve Young, commented on the football part of Limbaugh's remarks, but did not address the racial content.

"My comments this past Sunday were directed at the media and were not racially motivated," Limbaugh said in a statement issued at midnight yesterday. "I offered an opinion. This opinion has caused discomfort for the crew, which I regret.

"I love 'NFL Sunday Countdown' and do not want to be a distraction to the great work done by all who work on it. Therefore, I have decided to resign."

George Bodenheimer, the president of ESPN, said, "We believe he took the appropriate action to resolve this matter expeditiously."

Limbaugh's departure ends a monthlong experiment at ESPN in which the syndicated radio star - on a perch away from the other members of the show's main desk - offered essays about the National Football League and challenged the opinions of Jackson, Young, Michael Irvin and the host, Chris Berman.

While usually tart, Limbaugh's opinions on the program did not provoke much controversy, merely a lot of shouting and laughing on the set. But that changed with his discussion about McNabb. McNabb told The Associated Press yesterday that he wished someone on the show had challenged Limbaugh's view on race. "I wouldn't have cared if it was the cameraman," he said.

He also said that an apology from Limbaugh "would do no good because he obviously thought about it before he said it."

Early yesterday, Limbaugh refused to retreat from his comments about McNabb, saying on his radio talk show that the focus was on the news media, not McNabb.

"All this has become the tempest that it is because I must have been right about something," Limbaugh said. "If I wasn't right, there wouldn't be the cacophony of outrage that has sprung up in the sportswriter community."

Hours before the resignation, Clark wrote to Bodenheimer to say, "Mr. Limbaugh has the right to say whatever he wants, but ABC and ESPN have no obligation to sponsor such hateful and ignorant speech."

ABC, a division of the Walt Disney Company, owns 80 percent of ESPN.

Ford, who is black, said that he had no problem with Limbaugh voicing an opinion on McNabb's quarterbacking skills, "but when he injected race and said the reason we root for him or that we have something invested in him is because he's African-American is asinine. And it borders on his motivation for making the comment beyond his assessment of Donovan McNabb as a quarterback. It suggests to me that he was thinking of things in cruel and nefarious ways."

The Rev. Jesse L. Jackson told Bloomberg News that Limbaugh's remarks were insulting and asked that Michael D. Eisner, the chairman of Disney, and Paul Tagliabue, the N.F.L. commissioner, intervene with ESPN.

"ESPN knew what they were getting when they hired Rush Limbaugh," said Joe Browne, a spokesman for the N.F.L. "Donovan's status as a top quarterback reflects his performance on the field, not the desire of the media."

The rating for "Sunday NFL Countdown" has risen 10 percent from last season, and Sunday's show, Limbaugh's last, was the highest-rated edition in seven years.

My question is what the heck was ESPN thinking when it hired Rush in the first place. Didn't they realize that eventually his extreme consevative politics would creep in eventually.

I don't really get why this thread has that title either, but that aside, I'm glad he's resigned. I know exactly nothing about (American) Football, but IMO making comments about an athlete's skin colour rather than his ability is wrong and is completely inappropriatie on a television show which is watched by millions of people.

But that is just the point. He didn't say anything about McNabb's ability due to his skin color. He questioned the media's treatment of a football player because of his skin color.

If you cannot quetsion the media, you do not have free speech.

"The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback can do well"

whether it was the intention or not, this implies that black quarterbacks doing well is a rarity

the over reaction to what he said is more than a bit ridiculous

especially when mcnabb came into the league, he kind of paved the way for more black qb's to follow

i dont agree with what rush said, i think the reason so much attention is on him is because he was a controversial number 2 pick in the draft and with that comes high expectations, but i dont really see it as racist in anyway

no, i understand it isn't racist...but what do you expect? I'm sure he had the BEST intentions...but in this day in age, it's just dangerous to say things like that

I'm not saying what I think of that, i'm just sayng that he should have maybe known better

??

I think what he said was racist-to bring up the color of that man's skin is in itself racist in my opinion. What does that have to do w/ anything? To say that "the media wants him to do well" is implying that somehow his abilities are inferior, and that his color is the only reason he is where he is.

From what I heard, he is a three time Pro Bowler who has led his team to two straight title games (this might be wrong). Too bad Rush couldn't have the class and humility to admit he was wrong and that his statement was racist, or at the very least had racist overtones.

I think we've had enough problems w/ people like that Jimmy the Greek that people like Rush should know better.

it isn't racist to bring up somebodies skin color...I have to disagree with you there

I think I could list many scenarios where listing a mans skin color wouldn't be racist

to admit he was wrong and that his statement was racist

So, in effect, it becomes "you're a racist, prove me wrong".

Does the media act with pure colorblindness? Is it fair to question the media's coverage of people of color?

My interpretation of what he said was that it at the very least had racial overtones.

Did he ever talk about "white quarterbacks" on that show, specifically using those terms?

How often is an athlete's race mentioned on ESPN, regarding his or her performance?

Maybe I'm just "overly sensitive" to these issues, but that's just how I am :) And I admit, I don't like that man, but I'd feel the same way about what was said no matter who said it.

MrsSpringsteen said:
I think what he said was racist-to bring up the color of that man's skin is in itself racist in my opinion. What does that have to do w/ anything? To say that "the media wants him to do well" is implying that somehow his abilities are inferior, and that his color is the only reason he is where he is.

Exactly. It's the implication.

He's not questioning the media. He's making an assumption based on his beliefs. You can't question the media, unless you for sure know the reason media wants him to do well is because he's black. What if they want him to do well because he's a nice guy.

Maybe he was high at the time he made the comment:wink:

Sorry I know I shouldn't make fun of someone's addiction, but I couldn't help it.

Last edited:
BonoVoxSupastar said:
You can't question the media, unless you for sure know the reason media wants him to do well is because he's black.

How do you get your answer unless you ask the question? You have in effect created a presumption that cannot be challenged.

I find racism is abhorrent.

The itchy trigger finger to label someone a racist is also abhorrent.

nbcrusader said:

How do you get your answer unless you ask the question? You have in effect created a presumption that cannot be challenged.

I find racism is abhorrent.

The itchy trigger finger to label someone a racist is also abhorrent.

He didn't ask a question. He stated:
"The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback can do well - black coaches and black quarterbacks doing well. There is a little hope invested in McNabb and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve."

I agree that racism is abhorrent.
I agree there are itchy trigger fingers, and they are also abhorrent.

But I also find sitting back and allowing such ignorace to be abhorrent as well.

But I also find sitting back and allowing such ignorace to be abhorrent as well

But no one challenged the statement - whether or not the media was too generous with McNabb because he is an African American. It was far too easy to recklessly toss the racist label.

nbcrusader said:

But no one challenged the statement - whether or not the media was too generous with McNabb because he is an African American. It was far too easy to recklessly toss the racist label.

If Rush wanted to challenge the media he could have done it himself by asking if the praise was indeed warranted. But he didn't he ASSumed, and made an ass out of himself, which is something he does very well.

while the statement was pretty stupid, I don't think that it was something that he should have resigned or got fired over. I think to label someone a racist is a big deal, and one comment that talks about race in sports and media does not automatically brand someone.

And you have to understand. I hate this man. I wouldn't piss on him if he were on fire. But I think he should have said that it wasn't the smartest thing to say, explained himself and then went on with his job.

I know he resigned, which I said I didn't think he should have. I also don't think he should have gotten fired if anyone thought of doing that. He made it sound like his fellow commentators were uncomfortable with him. Don't know if that's true or not

Just for the record....even here in FYM the entire quote was not posted:

[Q]"I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well. There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team." [/Q]

He did not criticize McNabb. He criticized the media, and made the observation that Philadelphia's defence was directly responsible for the teams success. However, since McNabb is and African American the spotlight was on him.

We do not have of speech. We have a bunch of sharks, that will turn a statement on its side to destroy a person.

Its Bullshit.

He's still a racist ass. He even told a caller to "take the bone out of your lip and then call me back". So any remark would be taken as offensive.

Bottom line, McNabb is overrated because the media has hyped him up so much. Although McNabb has had a pretty bad year so far (my fantasy football record will attest to that), he is still a stud quarterback...a little hyped-up for sure, but still an exciting-premire quarterback.

As far as Rush's comments...I think this country has become way too sensitive to things. Society has suffered I think as a result of this. We all spend too much time making sure we don't offend anyone with what we say. And then, once someone does have an opinion, whoever disagrees with it will make a mountain out of an ant hill to discredit the remarks or in this case crush someone. Or place a label on that person. Pretty soon, there will be no more free speech in this country.

I can see what Rush means when he said the media wants a black quarterback to succeed. It's the truth. But, just because he is an innacurate passer doesn't mean McNabb's not a good role model or a good person. He is both of those things, actually. It is simply good for the NFL. There are not very many black quarterbacks in the NFL. By the way, why the Hell is Cordell Stewart still playing? He's horrible! It boasts the question "is it because the media wants a black quarterback to succed?" I don't think Rush's comment is racially motivated. Just a stab at the media. Afterall, Rush defended in one of the other pre-game shows there are not enough black coaches in the NFL.

As a football fan I can't think of many good "black" QB's. I don't say that as a white-supremisist, but as a fan of the NFL's history. Whether or not that's the NFL's fault, or the owners' faults, or the their college coaches' faults, or whatever, I do not know. For every Randall Cunningham, Warren Moon, Steve McNair, Donovan McNabb, and uhhh...Rodney Peete, I can name 12 white QBs. On the flip side of the coin, I can't think of more than one or two dominating white running backs. Alscott of Tampa comes to mind, but of recent memory I can't think of any that match the likes of Sanders, Thomas, Dickerson, Payton, Smith, or Dorsett. Perhaps Rush wasn't too wrong about black men in the role of QB. Just for the record, I'm not anymore racist than the average American ;) I simply think that QBs for some reason are mostly white and a black QB is an attention-getter

I agree with Rush to an extent. Last year the media made McNabb out to be the greatest QB of the year. He certainly led his team to the NFC finals, but he was average is his stats and sat out nearly half of the season. There were plenty of other QBs that had much better seasons, but for some reason McNabb was held on a pedistal. This is where I agree with Rush. He didn't deserve the extra attention, and he called the media on it. I applaude him for questioning the decision of the collective media.

I disagree, because McNabb isn't solely getting attention because of his skin color. He's a talent leader, who turned the Philadelphia Eagles into contentors (with the help of his teammates of course). To say that he was ONLY sensationalized because of his skin is touching on the truth of the matter, but disregarding the fact that he was the QB for the one of the hottest teams in the NFL. I never remember hearing Warren Moon's name mention at great length, despite playing for a decent team in Houston. McNabb got the same attention you saw from the likes of Kurt Warner in St. Louis, and Troy Aikman in Dallas. He turned a struggling team into a contender and deserves credit.

Rush spoke out and therefore must die. (LOL)...But isn't it true? I wish we'd all stop letting out of context phrases throw our worlds into a tailspin.

Let me just go on record saying I never catergorized Rush for being racist based on this comment. But I do however think he should have worded his statement different. I stand by my comment that this was not a "questioning of the media". Yes this society has becom way too PC. But it's become that way for a reason. The PC movement was created because there was just too much judgement and discrimination in this society. It's gone overboard, I understand that. But until everyone learns tolerance and love for their neighbor there will be a certain need for this. We can't have people expressing hate left and right. So where do you draw the line?

I heard an audio of this.

Based on that and having tuned into his program and heard other remarks- I can say he has a problem with race.

Back
Top Bottom