Fred Thompson: The next Ronald Reagan???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
diamond said:

Ingrahamsilv.JPG

Don't worry she still loves you.

dbs

barf....no thanks. wouldn't hit it under any circumstance whatsoever

this is more my type

prettier and smarter (see, she's even sending you the right message !)

shirley.jpg

namkcuR said:
The guy's a bafoon.

It's a moot point anyway, imo.

2008 is the democrats' year. This is OUR year. So far, none of the Republican candidates, not even Guliani or McCain, have jumped out as big-time favorites for the general election. The nation is sick of the conservative White House. The entire Bush presidency has served as a giant 8-year-long setup for what should be a slam dunk election for the dems. We have three candidates - Hilary, Obama, and Edwards - who are capable of winning the general election over any of the current republican candidates. Especially Hilary, given how much money her campaign has and given that she has her husband as her biggest campaigner.

The point is, this is the dems' election to lose, even significantly more so than the 04 election was. This time we have candidates far more interesting than John Kerry. If we can't win it under these circumstances, we never will.

wouldn't the fact that the dems, with all the mess that the republican leadership has created, do not have a huge lead on any of the republican candidates be more of a red flag than the republican candidates not having a lead over any of the dems?

elevated_u2_fan said:

lol, could you imagine his State Of The Union address?

hands on hips, head turned to side, shades on / shades off / shades on ................

namkcuR said:
The guy's a bafoon.

It's a moot point anyway, imo.

2008 is the democrats' year. This is OUR year. So far, none of the Republican candidates, not even Guliani or McCain, have jumped out as big-time favorites for the general election. The nation is sick of the conservative White House. The entire Bush presidency has served as a giant 8-year-long setup for what should be a slam dunk election for the dems. We have three candidates - Hilary, Obama, and Edwards - who are capable of winning the general election over any of the current republican candidates. Especially Hilary, given how much money her campaign has and given that she has her husband as her biggest campaigner.

The point is, this is the dems' election to lose, even significantly more so than the 04 election was. This time we have candidates far more interesting than John Kerry. If we can't win it under these circumstances, we never will.

This is exactly the kind of false optimism that US democrats seem to have these days...you think no one can beat you...just because of Iraq...which most of your candidates originally supported...this may be your downfall...I hope not but it seems to me your all a bit too brazen these days...wait till 08...lots could happen by then...an attack on Iran...another 9/11 (but worse)...all kinds of possibilities...or nothing will happen (which would be great)...just don't get too cocky...that's all.

My sister, who lives in New York, says that people in New York are disappointed in Hillary because she's not anti-war enough. This is in her own backyard. Of course, Edwards also voted to authorize the war. That's why I wouldn't mind if Al Gore ended up running. He opposed the war from the beginning. So did I.

verte76 said:
My sister, who lives in New York, says that people in New York are disappointed in Hillary because she's not anti-war enough. This is in her own backyard.

But this is the kind of thinking that gets Republicans elected. So fucking what if she isn't "anti-war" enough? Who the hell else is there besides a not "anti-war" enough Democrat?

Today is the day that Fred "aw shucks" Thompson will have to prove himself to the general public and the media. Everything rests on his debate debut.... in a matter of hours we will all know if the Democrats will win or if this guy is the threat that some pundits are warning about.

Harry Vest said:
Today is the day that Fred "aw shucks" Thompson will have to prove himself to the general public and the media. Everything rests on his debate debut.... in a matter of hours we will all know if the Democrats will win or if this guy is the threat that some pundits are warning about.

It will be interesting to watch.

dbs

Harry Vest said:

You really think it comes down to Fred? If that's the case, I could tell you before this debate there is nothing to worry about... I think the only people that stand to worry are other Republicans and will he take votes from them.

[Q]When Nixon's aide H.R. Haldeman told Nixon of Thompson's appointment, Nixon was less than impressed.

"Baker has appointed Fred Thompson as minority counsel," Haldeman is heard saying on one tape.

"Oh sh--, that kid," Nixon responds.

"I guess so," Haldeman replies.

Nixon worried that Thompson's Democratic counterpart, Sam Dash, would outsmart Thompson.

"Well, Dash is too smart for that kid," Nixon says on another tape from March 16, 1973. The existence of the tapes were publicly revealed by a question from Thompson at a Watergate hearing and led to the president's resignation. They are preserved at the National Archives in College Park, Md.

"Sure. Runs circles around him," agrees an aide, John Dean.

As the investigation picked up speed, Nixon grew increasingly concerned about whether Thompson could stand up to the Democrats.

In this May 1973 recording, he shared his concern with then-chief of staff Alexander Haig.

"He's talking to Fred Thompson. I said you're not --," Haig begins.

"Oh sh--, he's dumb as hell. Fred Thompson," Nixon interjects. "Who is he? He won't say anything."

In another conversation some weeks later, Nixon and his advisers were still describing Thompson as not very smart but at least beginning to play ball.

"Our approach is now, we've got a pretty good rapport with Fred Thompson. He came through fine for us this morning," White House counsel Fred Buzhardt says on a tape from June 6.

"He isn't very smart, is he?" Nixon asks.

"Not extremely so, but --," Buzhardt says, interrupted by the president.

"But he's friendly," Nixon says.

"But he's, he's friendly," Buzhardt echoes.

"Good."

http://blogs.abcnews.com/theblotter/2007/10/nixon-on-thomps.html

[/Q]

sounds like words uttered by a paranoid President, posted 34 years later by a nervous interfencer..:wink:

dbs

Any independent or liberal can see the FDT has no chance whatsoever.

I still can't see a Republican winning this election. Sort of like how Kerry was outmatched in 04.

The debate is already over? Damn I was looking forward to some good solid entertainment (family friendly of course). Do they have debates during the daytime?:huh:

(CNN) — When asked at Tuesday's GOP debate in Dearborn, Michigan, if he tossed his hat in the ring too late, former Tennessee Sen. Fred Thompson said he had no regrets about his late entry into the race.

"I’ve enjoyed watching these fellas,” he said. “I gotta admit, it was getting a little boring without me.”

He also said the timing of his entry “seems about right to me.”

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom