Fraudulent Charges in Credit Card

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2@NYC

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
So my wife and myself just came from Brazil where we went to attend a friend's wedding. We really had a good time... however, today, I received a call from my bank indicating that, after I had left Brazil (which I can prove with ticket stubs and passport stamps) someone had charged US$3,500 to my credit cards in various purchases... :mad: Some Brazilian thief obviously found a way to my wallet, took down the number and made a copy of the card, and then went bananas and spent like crazy until the bank noticed and called me. Obviously, today, I cancelled every single credit / debit / purchase card I have.

I was wondering if anyone had had any previous experience with this and how the fraud claims had gone. I am told by the Bank that every purchase is insured so if I can prove fraud I should not be liable... but I am wondering if this wourd really be the case... Naturally, I am not too happy to finance the purchases of some Brazilian thief...

Thanks a lot!

The issuing banks are usually very good about refunding fraudulent purchases, and, very clearly, the bank called you. They should know about it, and you should be able to prove that you left Brazil.

It sucks, but I think you should fare well.

Melon

Thanks, Melon. Have you dealt with this matter before? I am wondering whether ticket stubs and passport stamps would be enough to prove that I was overseas.

I am also thinking that this would some desperate Brazilian attempt to collect all the money that we Argentines defaulted on... :D

Good luck. On one hand I think you should cancle everything and change banks with all the identity theft going on. However,
I recently had an unauthorized debit on my credit card (nearly $500) and disputed it. I filled out all the necessary forms and sent it certified mail only to be told I needed to prove I had actually paid for some of the charges in question, with cash. fortunately I had documentation to prove it. They removed the charge along with the fees etc, but it still screwed things up for a month or 2... I didn't deposit any monies untill the charges were removed since I didn't want to have to go through the hassel of bitching about my over charges.
But then I had to be really careful of what I wrote checks for and just kept alot of cash on hand to pay expenses with, which I didn't like at all.
This was on a smaller scale than what it sounds like you are going through but, don't let them just get away with charging you anything. They should remove all the charges, they can and will, if they want to keep your account, which they do.
Just this month it is finally straighten out. (I think)
It happened in Feb.:huh:

I am happy to know that this ended up in a happy ending... however, it is frustrating that they took so long to do it, particularly given that it seems that all credit card purchases seem to be insured.

It is funny how easy it seems to be to steal a credit card and charge fraudulent purchases...

U2@NYC said:
I am happy to know that this ended up in a happy ending... however, it is frustrating that they took so long to do it, particularly given that it seems that all credit card purchases seem to be insured.

It is funny how easy it seems to be to steal a credit card and charge fraudulent purchases...

Unfortunately it is all too common and not funny. It taught me a lesson. I honestly think it was someone I deal with on a regular basis. I realized my gas station receipt prints out my damn my cc number when I get gas. (not anymore) Some restaurants do the same.
Jaysus, all the info is there to punch in the number (without the cc) in the event "I forgot" my card. What's to stop the attendant from filling up their car with my number or taking their friend's out for a night out on the town?

Hope all turns out well for you. It should!!

The real fraud comes when a tank of gas, or a load of groceries gets fraudulently charged. It's not as obvious and requires strict banking by card owners. Some theifs spread out their thefts so as to decrease detection. Sad but true.:sad:

I used to work in banking for six years. I came across fraudulent purchases a handful of times, and banks were generally very accomodating to the point where I thought that customers could abuse the system.

Of course, I'm sure the banks know what they're doing, and I'm sure they keep track of how many times a customer cries "fraud." Your fraudulent purchases will now give the bank a $3500 tax write off at the end of the year as a "loss," so don't feel bad at all.

Melon

I like the hotel reservation one myself.....you check in and say you want to pay CASH for your room......but madam....I must register the room against a credit card just to ensure.....so they reserve the room for two nights to your credit card and when you check out and pay cash the charge does not come off your credit card till at least 24 hours.........

Then I checked into another hotel and said here I want to pay CASH right here and now.....but madam....I need to see your driver's license #.......

and you know why? because the gov wants to track where and when you go somewhere......{what a farce this world has become}......never pay CASH for anything, it's a plastic world in which we live.

Rivendell......I'm awaiting! and I hope you'll accept me soon for I'm getting real tired of this Middle Earth shxt.

:|

I called the bank and they said that I was not liable... but they have to send me the paperwork and that a new credit card takes two weeks...

This happened to my sister -- she thinks someone stole the card out of her purse at her office when she got up from her desk. They charged a huge chunk of change on gas, groceries, etc. As soon as she noticed it was gone, she called the bank and they cancelled her card. That's when they noticed the charges and went through the list with her. She wasn't liable for any of it, but she did make sure to bitch about the gas-guzzling fat asses that stole her credit card. :) And like I said, she was the one that called the bank, not the other way around, and they still let her off. It should be ok.

You may also want to call the credit bureaus -- ask your bank to give you contact info so you can put a fraud flag on your credit report. That way, if someone tries to use the card again, they will be flagged. Also, if you apply for a loan or for some reason have you credit checked, the person looking at your report will not hold those charges against you.

Thanks, Sharky. I have indeed called Equifax and put a fraud alert.

You know what makes this worse? That two other friends that were with us at the same hotel also reported the same thing being done to them... and even worse, they mentioned that the credit cards used were always in the hotel safe! All this makes me believe that it was a hotel employee that opened the safe, got the card numbers and the expiration dates and then cloned the cards... I think I may have base for some legal action against the hotel, what do you think?

Back
Top Bottom