France, Germany react to overthrow of Saddam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sharky

New Yorker
Chirac 'rejoices' as Saddam falls

LONDON, England (CNN) --French President Jacques Chirac says his country is "rejoicing" in the apparent collapse of the Iraqi dictatorship.

Chirac strongly opposed a U.S-led military attack on Iraq, preferring to work through the U.N. Security Council in supporting longer weapons inspections.

But he said in a statement released by the Elysee Palace Thursday: "France, like every democracy, is rejoicing over the collapse of Saddam Hussein's dictatorship, and hopes for a quick and effective end to the battle."

His foreign minister, Dominique de Villepin, added: "With the collapse of Saddam Hussein's regime, a dark page has been turned."

The French daily newspaper La Liberation focused on the causes of the war, saying: "The successful military campaign in Iraq can only reassure the powerful U.S. that its vision of the world must be the right one.

"But its pretext for invading Iraq is... being proved wrong. For where are the weapons of mass destruction?"

Britain's Prime Minister Tony Blair, who committed his country's troops to war, was quoted as being "delighted" at pictures showing the toppling of President Saddam Hussein's symbols of power.

"People have seen today the scales of fear falling from the people of Iraq," a Downing Street spokesman added.

German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder, who opposed the war, was reported as saying he welcomed the sights from Baghdad as it was a sign that the conflict would be over soon.

CNN's Stephanie Halasz in Berlin said: "The overwhelming feeling among Germans was one of skepticism.

"How is the future of Iraq going to square up? Are the Iraqis capable of forming a democracy? And there is concern about those Iraqis who have died or who are injured."

Russian newspapers talked about Baghdad having been "taken and plundered," while there was disbelief that the Iraqi troops and regime could have dissolved so quickly.

Chirac, Schroeder and Russia's President Vladimir Putin are to meet this weekend to discuss a post-war Iraq, with the likely emphasis on pushing for an increased U.N. role.

Italy's La Repubblica criticized the anti-war grouping, saying in an editorial: "The battle lines are drawn and this time the countries that opposed the coalition war are ready to muscle in and demand a piece of the Iraqi pie."

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/04/10/sprj.irq.europe.reaction/index.html

I'm sorry, but the only role chirac can play in post-war iraq is wiping the ass of the u.s. servicemen and women after they take a dump.
what an absolute joke....after all of their opposition they think they're reap any benefits from american and british blood spilled in the dessert? not in a million years buddy....makes me sick.

JOFO said:
I'm sorry, but the only role chirac can play in post-war iraq is wiping the ass of the u.s. servicemen and women after they take a dump.
what an absolute joke....after all of their opposition they think they're reap any benefits from american and british blood spilled in the dessert? not in a million years buddy....makes me sick.

I don't want to put words into your mouth, but by saying that France shouldn't get any benefits from Iraq because it was America and Britain who attacked Iraq, does that imply that you think it's acceptable for America and Britain to benefit from Iraq?

IMO the only consideration in this situation should be what's best for the Iraqi people and if that means that France (or any other country) will be involved in a post-war Iraq then that's entirely acceptable.

that's absolutely true: the main concern IS the iraqi people.

so maybe if one of them needs THEIR ass wiped, france will do the right thing and step in to help.

JOFO said:
My question to moderators: is it ok to use that kind of language in the forum? I would like to practise my profane English here...:eyebrow:

Chirac 'rejoices' as Saddam falls

LONDON, England (CNN) --French President Jacques Chirac says his country is "rejoicing" in the apparent collapse of the Iraqi dictatorship.

Chirac strongly opposed a U.S-led military attack on Iraq, preferring to work through the U.N. Security Council in supporting longer weapons inspections.

His foreign minister, Dominique de Villepin, added: "With the collapse of Saddam Hussein's regime, a dark page has been turned."

German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder, who opposed the war, was reported as saying he welcomed the sights from Baghdad as it was a sign that the conflict would be over soon.

Can you say loss management?

Chirac, Schroeder and Russia's President Vladimir Putin are to meet this weekend to discuss a post-war Iraq, with the likely emphasis on pushing for an increased U.N. role.

Oh, to be a fly on the wall for that one... That meeting ought to be a real barn burner....

"increased UN role"- my ass..

Possible minutes from forthcoming meeting:

1. What the fuck do we do now?

2. List of 101 ways to kiss Iraqi ass and make it look like we actually wanted Saddam removed.

3. What the fuck do we do now?

I was wondering when these three cocksuckers were going to change stripes...

Typical Russian bullshit, just like the end of WWII. They wanted control of half of Japan even though they had nothing to do with the Pacific Theatre of Operations.

In closing, I'd just like to wish the three stooges luck in normalizing relations with the new gov't of a people they tried so desperately to screw over the past several weeks:)

Ok guys, I realize this is a very touchy subject, and, yes, there are a lot of high strung feelings right now.

But it doesn't excuse the language being used in this thread. There's a difference between "crap" and several words Mr. Griswald posted. And speaking of...."Typical Russian bullshit" doesn't belong here either.

Let's try to pick our language a bit better in the future.

Thanks.

Re: Re: France, Germany react to overthrow of Saddam

Clark W. Griswold said:
three cocksuckers

Was that really necessary?

Stupid pussy lickers...

Melon

Re: Re: Re: France, Germany react to overthrow of Saddam

melon said:

Was that really necessary?

Stupid pussy lickers...

Melon

This reminds me about the song Kitty from the Presidents of the United states of America.

I'm so tired of the French bashing, and any other country for that matter. So they didn't support the war. Many people throughout the world didn't support this war. He 'rejoices' in the fall of Saddam. All of us are. Just because he/we/ whoever didn't support the same means doesn't mean we can't be glad for the Iraqi people. Bush said himself he wanted the UN to take a larger role in the rebuilding. Some people can take that as being hypicritical. Just quit making this into a 'yeah America' thing you French suck. This should be a 'yeah Iraq' thing, they are on the brink of being liberated. Isn't that what this was about? (After the whole WMD thing). Think beyond your longitude and latitude.

the 30+ nations who were members of the coalition should get first crack at any sort of business deal with the new iraqi government, once it's put into place. to give those contracts to france would be insult to every person who served in this war.

if i was over there risking my neck only to come back home to find that the people who did everything in their power to stop the liberation from happening are now benefiting from my work, i'd be a pretty f:censored:king pissed off person.

i'd call chirac a coc:censored:ker, but that would be an insult to all the coc:censored:ker's around the world...

Interesting, because anything I see here, is not an example of racism. I hate how that term is thrown around and missused.

Anyway, my thoughts, and this may shock you.

France and Russia should have nothing to do with the establishment of the new governement.

I also am a firm believer that all contracts and obligations, debts, ect. that Iraq had prior to their liberation should be honored, including any contracts with Russia and oil development.

The New American Webster Dictionary:
racism - n. prejudice against certain peoples.
That includes because of nationality. It doesn't mean they have to be a different color.

I think the UN should administer Iraq with UN peacekeeping forces. But Bush didn't go for the control of the oil for nothing.

racism would be hating the french because of who they are... hating their blowhard of a president because of his actions is not racsim

Jacques Chirac was one of the leaders in the call for action in Kosovo to help oust Milosevic. He avoided the United Nations, which he feared would not support the action, by going to NATO. The United States under the Clinton Administration were one of the first to jump on board with Chirac, supporting the idea and lending troops to the effort.
Now America comes around asking for the same favor, and Chirac sticks his nose at us. Gee... I can't imagine why...

jacques_iraq2.jpg

jacques_iraq1.jpg

jacques_iraq6.jpg

Last edited:
He also followed his peoples wishes unlike Blair.
Should I post the picture of Rumsfeld and Sadaam again?
I think these were all taken around that time.

he followed his wallet... you can yell at bush and blair with the "war for oil" argument all you want, and maybe you're right, maybe you're wrong... but don't try to deny the fact that chirac wanted "no war for oil." france and germany stood to profit the most if saddam was allowed to stay in power.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
the 30+ nations who were members of the coalition should get first crack at any sort of business deal with the new iraqi government, once it's put into place. to give those contracts to france would be insult to every person who served in this war.

if i was over there risking my neck only to come back home to find that the people who did everything in their power to stop the liberation from happening are now benefiting from my work, i'd be a pretty f:censored:king pissed off person.

As has been said, the ones that now should be benefitting are the Iraqis. And doesn't the US always claim that 'free trade' is in the consumer's best interest?

Whoever get's the contracts for rebuilding Iraq, I hope they at least employ as many Iraqis as possible and share their technology.

Scarletwine said:
The New American Webster Dictionary:
racism - n. prejudice against certain peoples.
That includes because of nationality. It doesn't mean they have to be a different color.

I think the UN should administer Iraq with UN peacekeeping forces. But Bush didn't go for the control of the oil for nothing.

Right..LOL Wow, that is creative. THis is without me adding anything.

Here is Websters Dictionary Online

Main Entry: rac?ism
Pronunciation: 'rA-"si-z&m also -"shi-
Function: noun
Date: 1936
1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
2 : racial prejudice or discrimination

Main Entry: 1prej?u?dice
Pronunciation: 'pre-j&-d&s
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin praejudicium previous judgment, damage, from prae- + judicium judgment -- more at JUDICIAL
Date: 13th century
1 : injury or damage resulting from some judgment or action of another in disregard of one's rights; especially : detriment to one's legal rights or claims
2 a (1) : preconceived judgment or opinion (2) : an adverse opinion or leaning formed without just grounds or before sufficient knowledge b : an instance of such judgment or opinion c : an irrational attitude of hostility directed against an individual, a group, a race, or their supposed characteristics

I think that given the war was directly the fault of France and Russia not willing to work through the UN to enforce the Sanctions, it is neither irrational, or hostile, to suspect that they have ulterior motives for wanting to be part of the rebuilding/creating of the Iraqi Government.

Now I understand, you were perhaps calling me a racist when I was posting the information about France?

Dreadsox said:

Now I understand, you were perhaps calling me a racist when I was posting the information about France?

That's really what it says.
Secondly, no, it was in response to some extremely nasty comments made in this thread. Things I have heard said of other nationalities and races.

Dreadsox said:

I think that given the war was directly the fault of France and Russia not willing to work through the UN to enforce the Sanctions,

Um, ok, then I think Stalin was directly the fault of the U.S. not willing to work through the UN to enforce communism.

Don?t exaggerate, man. Keep it at a certain level, please. Russia and France were NOT sending troops to this war, the U.S. and U.K. were. So who is responsible for this war?

Is a little plain rational argumentation too much? Don?t come to tell me there was no other chance because the U.S. had to pre- emptively defend itself against breached sanctions by breaching international law. Thats just a weak argument, Dread, and you know it.

Peace.

Last edited:
You mean that you disagree with my belief that for 12 years France and Russia have been undermining the sanctions is wrong? Are you certain? Who has opposed stregnthening sanctions? Who violated the resolution that banned flights directly into Baghdad?

I am sorry, but I wholeheartedly believe what I posted. These two nations have been much less than cooperative at the UN. 12 years to work it out is long enough.

By the way...Over 260,000 dead from the sanctions that Russia and France have benfitted from so they can get good oil.

I stand by my beliefs.

Peace

Re: Re: France, Germany react to overthrow of Saddam

Clark W. Griswold said:

1. What the fuck do we do now?

3. What the fuck do we do now?

You could attack another country. There?s Iran, Syria, North Korea on your list. If Egypt mixes too much into your affairs, go for it. If Lybia has a problem with that, you could ask Berlusconi to help you. His troops are near.

Back
Top Bottom