FOX News Refuses To Run "Rescue The Constitution" Ad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
I wonder what documentation they would need.

mediamatters.org

Fox News has refused to air an ad produced by the Center for Constitutional Rights that criticizes the Bush administration for "destroying the Constitution" by the use of renditions, torture, and other tactics. The ad, "Rescue the Constitution," which is narrated by actor Danny Glover, can be viewed here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnR9M8cG_6s

In an email provided to Media Matters for America by the Center, Fox News account executive Erin Kelly told Owen Henkel, the Center's e-communications manager, that Fox would not run the ad:

Hi Owen --

We cannot approve the spot with it being Danny Glover's opinion that the Bush Administration is destroying the Constitution. If you have documentation that it is indeed being destroyed, we can look at that.

Sorry about that,

Erin

In 2005, Fox refused to run an ad critical of then-Supreme Court nominee Samuel Alito Jr., who had been nominated by President Bush to succeed retiring Justice Sandra Day O'Connor.

This is the CCR site

http://ccrjustice.org/

The Center for Constitutional Rights is dedicated to advancing and protecting the rights guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Founded in 1966 by attorneys who represented civil rights movements in the South, CCR
is a non-profit legal and educational organization committed to the creative use of law as a positive force for social change.

MrsSpringsteen said:
I wonder what documentation they would need.

Dubya would have to be caught on tape walking into the National Archives and taking a lighter to the document itself for Fox News to run this.

Earnie Shavers said:
We have U.S Fox News here, but don't get the U.S ads with it - do they show other political ads in general?

Yes. It's called "The O'Reilly Factor."

I'm having trouble thinking of any program on Fox that isn't a political ad.

Re: Re: FOX News Refuses To Run "Rescue The Constitution" Ad

DaveC said:

Dubya would have to be caught on tape walking into the National Archives and taking a lighter to the document itself for Fox News to run this.

Heard any good Sandy Berger jokes lately?

narrated by actor Danny Glover

Would this be the same Danny Glover that has nothing but praise and admiration for Communist dictators like Fidel Castro and Hugo Chavez? If so, are we really supposed to take seriously anything this man says about human rights, democracy, constitutional protections or freedom of the press?

Viva Fox News Channel.

Your Danny Glover argument proves nothing about the validity (or lack there of) of Fox News Channel.

phillyfan26 said:
Your Danny Glover argument proves nothing about the validity (or lack there of) of Fox News Channel.

The fact that they have more viewers than CNN and MSNBC combined validates, at the least, their business model. That their loudest detractors succumb to hysteria at their mere existence validates their raison d'être.

INDY500 said:

The fact that they have more viewers than CNN and MSNBC combined validates, at the least, their business model. That their loudest detractors succumb to hysteria at their mere existence validates their raison d'être.

Sure.

The same way NSync sold more records than say, Radiohead.

INDY500 said:

Your number of viewers argument proves nothing about the validity (or lack there of) of Fox News Channel.

See: Anitram's post for an example.

:scratch: Having difficulty understanding why this story is worth giving two tosses over one way or the other...

Well, I imagine your goal here was to defend Fox News, which I guessed by your Viva Fox News Channel post.

I'm waiting for a legitimate defense.

phillyfan26 said:
Well, I imagine your goal here was to defend Fox News, which I guessed by your Viva Fox News Channel post.

I'm waiting for a legitimate defense.

I'll defend Fox News if you have to defend The Center for Constitutional Rights which produced the ad.

A TV station will not air something that is likely to offend its target audience. It was, most likely--and unsurprisingly, a business decision.

INDY500 said:

'Real' news can be pretty boring. Some ten minute explanation of some uninteresting election in some far off, hard to pronounce country = bo-or-or-ring. Over the top personalities screaming hysterical and deliberately provokative rubbish at you is far more entertaining. Everyone understands that - it is a very simple and successful business model that was bound to come about at some time.

My real beef though is with CNN who have allowed themselves to be dragged down by Fox. Fox is not a news channel. It's an entertainment/opinion channel. It doesn't often actually present news. It's quick on the ground to cover and fixate on a story should a major one break - complete with the all important entertaining graphics and music, often a hilarious headline/nickname for the story - but when do they just give you a rundown of what is going on around the world? Rarely. Very, very rarely. And mostly only related to the topics they love, that come pre-packaged with an angle they love.

If conservatives are okay with the most dominant and public window into their beliefs being such a moronic and ridiculous thing, fine by me. If you're okay that most people who find out that you watch and buy into Fox will probably think you are, to be frank, dumb, fine by me. I'm glad there's not an equivalent coming from the 'other' side, and that's what I hate seeing from CNN. Little bits and pieces here and there, where they're falling for the Fox route.

CNN are not the same thing as Fox and they shouldn't allow themselves to head that way. Stick to the actual news, leave the childish hysteria to Fox. Go ahead and stick to the 'boring' story about the election in the far off country while Sean Hannity is over at Fox frothing at the mouth over a mall that doesn't have a nativity scene up or some other equally ridiculous thing.

Back
Top Bottom