For those of you who are in school...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moonlit_Angel

Blue Crack Addict
In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de
have any of your classes held discussions about the war at all today?

At my school, we didn't watch the news at all in any of my classes, except for a few minutes in my Environmental Biology class.

And then in my sister's civics class, she said that the class wanted to discuss the war, and her teacher said, "Okay, let's discuss the war. It started. Now on to something else".

I mean, considering it's a civics class, a social studies class...I would think that you'd want to discuss the war.

Kids are talking about it in their little groups of friends, and a couple of my teachers talked with us a little about it (ooh, boy, my music theory teacher really got into a debate with this one kid in the class who kept saying "Kill Iraqis, kill Iraqis" and other stuff along that line)...but overall, the teachers don't seem too willing to want to turn on the news or lead the class in a discussion about this, which I find kinda odd.

So how about you guys?

And hey, this doesn't have to stay just with kids in school. Have any of you been talking about this with people you work with?

Angela

My students wanted to know where Iraq was on the map, how far away it was, and where Kuwait was (someone's soldier brother is there). After I answered those questions and showed the kids the map, we went on to California in the 1850s. We are only 10 years old in my class.

we tend to gear toward it in my classes whether the profs like it or not.

american history: we're discussing the beginnings of wwi - there are a lot of similarities between the two beginnings.

sociology: we're studying the function of family in society and how it's going to be now with different types of families.

american indian law and justice: we basically cancelled class to go watch the war.

speech: my insane prof who loves me is so pro-war you'd swear he'd actually be in the military doing something about it.

in college the profs have less responsibility to talk about it than teachers in high school and lower grades....at least at college we have other outlets for it.

My school is on the quarter system and right now is finals week, so no, we haven't talked about Iraq. Next quarter I'm taking a poly sci class, so I'm sure we'll be talking about it there.

martha said:
My students wanted to know where Iraq was on the map, how far away it was, and where Kuwait was (someone's soldier brother is there). After I answered those questions and showed the kids the map, we went on to California in the 1850s. We are only 10 years old in my class.

No Joke....Yesterday was the 25th Birthday of my school so we had a Birthday Party. Not a single child asked a thing yesterday.

It really sucks that these children are growing up in a day and age when you can turn on CNN and be in a Abrahms with the soldiers. It just further adds to the it's happening on TV it can't be real. I had a student last year that did not think the Tower's Fell, thought it was a TV movie.

I am expecting my ten year olds to have questions today.

Peace

Sorry...don't mean to get OT but this sig

YankeesSuck.jpg

greatly offends me :angry: ;)

Oh yeah ... on topic...My cousins are 14 and 12...and they said that in class they talk about it...they are most worried about another attack happening here.

Back
Top Bottom