for anyone who cares to read (re: no freedome of religion for Muslims in Malaysia) - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2002, 05:47 PM   #41
War Child

Local Time: 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by whiteflag
As far as I know, they are no longer allowed to have multiple wives period. I have heard that a decided minority of Mormons still practice polygamy in out of the way places and that law enforcement there generally looks the other way as long as they don't call attention to themselves. But I have no proof of that. All I know is that polygamy is illegal according to Utah law the same as in the other 49 states.
As a practicing member of The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter-Day Saints ("Mormons"), I can confirm that our church has banned polygamy. I quote from www.mormon.org, the Mormon church's official Q&A site:

"Question:
What is the Churchís position on polygamy?

Answer:
In 1998, President Gordon B. Hinckley made the following statement about the Church's position on plural marriage: 'This Church has nothing whatever to do with those practicing polygamy. They are not members of this Church . . . If any of our members are found to be practicing plural marriage, they are excommunicated, the most serious penalty the Church can impose. Not only are those so involved in direct violation of the civil law, they are in violation of the law of this Church.' "

Old 09-09-2002, 08:38 PM   #42
The Fly

Local Time: 03:41 PM
PEACE......
THATS ALL I CAN SAY
THAT IS WHAT I WAS BROUGHT UP WITH....

MY RELIGION HAS TAUGHT ME THAT TOLERANCE AND PEACE COMES BEFORE ANYTHING..... RESPECT FOR OUR NEIGHBORS..

I FEEL PITY FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NEVER UNDERSTOOD ISLAM....

Old 09-10-2002, 10:32 AM   #43
The Fly

Local Time: 10:41 PM
Amna, i feel the same way as u do. some ppl outthere often see Islam as an extreme religion.
i really want 2 say lots of things but sorry, i can't speak english very well.