For a Columbia Graduate, what a Moron!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Infinity

Refugee
I was just watching Hannity & Colmes on FOX NEWS (yes, I was EXTREMELY bored) and they were discussing Ahmadinajad's speech at Columbia. So this Columbia graduate comes on the air and says that when she heard that Columbia had allowed him to speak, she tore up her diploma. Yes, her diploma, the actual copy!!!

Now, I don't know much about college diplomas, but does this mean that she has no proof of her degree? Can she be screwed over by not having proof of it? I guess since she was willing to rip it up, she never deserved a college degree in the first place.

What a fuckin fool! :lmao:

Last edited:
It's like burning a flag. Just as you don't destroy America in the process of burning a flag, ripping up your diploma is little more than a symbolic gesture that doesn't terminate your degree.

Regardless, she doesn't sound very bright, if she's getting all worked up about a speech. It's not as if Columbia was endorsing what he was saying at all.

unico said:
i'm not sure about the situation....did columbia invite him to come speak? was this an event hosted by columbia's student programming board?

Yes, he was invited by the university as part of its World Leaders Forum. They've had dozens of heads of states speak over the years, frequently around the time of the UN general assembly.

After reading an article about it...it was a master's, not a BA, and she already has a decade-long career in both broadcast and print journalism by this point, so I doubt she has any need for the actual document.

Are there really any employers who ask to see applicants' diplomas anyway?

Ripping up your college diploma has no more practical effect than ripping up your marriage certificate or your divorce decree. When I got mine, I checked it for accuracy, stuck it back in the cardboard tube it was mailed in, stuck it in a drawer and have never seen it since. No one's ever asked to see it. An employer who wants your college records is probably going to ask for transcripts anyway.

Last edited:
melon said:
It's like burning a flag. Just as you don't destroy America in the process of burning a flag, ripping up your diploma is little more than a symbolic gesture that doesn't terminate your degree.

Regardless, she doesn't sound very bright, if she's getting all worked up about a speech. It's not as if Columbia was endorsing what he was saying at all.

The bottom line is that you don't invite someone to speak if you're not interested in what he has to say, right? If Columbia invited him to speak then that means that they have an interest in giving him a forum to air his controversial views.

I find it totally ironic that the second greatest enemy of the U.S. is being treated like a celebrity in the very country that he hates.

god bless America!

AchtungBono said:

The bottom line is that you don't invite someone to speak if you're not interested in what he has to say, right? If Columbia invited him to speak then that means that they have an interest in giving him a forum to air his controversial views.

I find it totally ironic that the second greatest enemy of the U.S. is being treated like a celebrity in the very country that he hates.

god bless America!

yeah rly! god forbid we exercise our free speech to let people have an opportunity to ask some hard-hitting questions. my guess is the forum was meant to encourage debate, not a channel for him to advertise his views. if you don't have discussion how can you ever hope for peace?

i'm not supporting this guy one bit. i think he is a moron. but i do think that it was a very rare and cool thing to have a world leaders forum like this where it isn't just politicians kissing each other's ass and trying to earn the loudest applause. i think stuff like this should happen more often.

and i don't see how you think he was being treated like a celebrity? the subject of this thread was not the only form of objection to take place yesterday.

yolland said:
After reading an article about it...it was a master's, not a BA, and she already has a decade-long career in both broadcast and print journalism by this point, so I doubt she has any need for the actual document.

Are there really any employers who ask to see applicants' diplomas anyway?

i don't know if any employers do, but when i was looking at post-graduate programs abroad some of them asked for a copy of the diploma.

and vt STILL has yet to send me mine. so obviously SOMEBODY thinks they aren't that important :|

AchtungBono said:

The bottom line is that you don't invite someone to speak if you're not interested in what he has to say, right?
Does interest = support?

AchtungBono said:

Yeah, I heard he had hordes of autograph seekers, the paparazzi were everywhere, I think the E! true Hollywood story airs tomorrow. :|

It doesn't actually MEAN anything, but ripping up your diploma because you don't approve of a guest speaker is kind of stupid. But whatever.

I have never been asked by any employer to show my actual degree. Plus, you can always get a transcript of you college/university courses.

I agree with the above poster. Tearing up her degree was childish. It was done for popular ratings, nothing else.

AchtungBono said:

god bless America!

yes... god bless columbia.

this guy, wack-a-doodle as he may be, is one of the most influential people in the world today.

they didn't invite him over to the president's house for tea and crumpets... they invited him to a speaking forum so that, ya know, these things that colleges have, students i think they're called, can be, i dunno, better informed on the thoughts and ravings of one of the world's most influential people?

god forbid... what a blow to education. we'll never be the same.

I hate how people complain that he shouldn't have been invited to speak. But yet his speech is broadcast on all the major news networks, the auditorium is filled up, and millions of people are tuned in, including the ones who protested against the speech.

How many people who said that he shouldn't have been invited to speak protested by actually NOT watching the speech?

0?

I thought so.

Back
Top Bottom