Florida execution takes much longer than usual

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BrownEyedBoy said:
If he didn't want to do the time he shouldn't have done the crime. Simple as that. He got about as much respect for his life as he showed for his victim's. Seems fair to me. :up:

That was very well said.

You all know my position on the DP - I'm all for it in cases of premeditated murder and especially in the cases involving the rapes and murders of children.

If there were any justice in the world then criminals would be punished in the manner in which they committed their crimes - stabbers should be stabbed, stranglers should be strangled, poisoners should be poisoned...etc.

The most horrible case for me is Jessica Lunsford, who was kidnapped, abused, stuffed in a garbage bag and buried alive where she died a slow death......what punishment could possibly be suitable for Cooey other than the same slow and painful death he caused that little girl?

I understand that some of you don't agree with me and that's ok, debate is good.

Give us a logical and sane reason not based on compassionate grounds why the death penalty is just. I am aware of your objections, not having read them much before. I'm very interested in clinical reasoning.

Angela Harlem said:

No, dont ever be sorry, Amy. It IS fucked. So unbelievably fucked that it is beyond comprehension the attitudes of you all who support the death penalty. Honestly, what kind of people are you to wish death on another human? Some of you make my skin absolutely crawl.

Aren't you being judgemental now??

Angela Harlem said:
Give us a logical and sane reason not based on compassionate grounds why the death penalty is just. I am aware of your objections, not having read them much before. I'm very interested in clinical reasoning.

Short answer:
Mainly because a person should not be allowed the right to live after he/she took that right from the victim.

Justin24 said:

Aren't you being judgemental now??

Very much so, Justin. And really, does that even begin to matter when we are talking about the life of another human being who you are judging not worthy of life? You want to pull me up for stating a fact that your views repulse me, while you calmly talk about some percieved right to kill someone?

Angela Harlem said:

No, dont ever be sorry, Amy. It IS fucked. So unbelievably fucked that it is beyond comprehension the attitudes of you all who support the death penalty. Honestly, what kind of people are you to wish death on another human? Some of you make my skin absolutely crawl.

I don't wish death on anyone and I'm really sorry that I make your skin crawl. I'm actually a decent human being when you get to know me.

However, I do not consider Cooey a human being, I do not consider Duncan a human being and I didn't consider Ted Bundy and Timothy McVeigh human beings either - they were monsters who do not deserve to breathe the same air as the rest of the human race.

Angela Harlem said:

Based on what grounds? How is it just?

Angela,
G-d forbid, if anything ever happened to one of my loved ones, my stomach would churn at the thought of the murderer getting away with it by getting his life when he had total disregard for another life.

How can I be satisfied that justice has been served when the murderer is in jail, watching TV, having sex with cellmates and living on the taxpayer's money while my loved one is dead and buried.

Why should the murderer get mercy when the victim didn't? Where's the justice in THAT

Is it really a decent act to hope for/condone/wish for/truly believe that death is the most rational and reasonable response to someone committing a murder? I'm sure you are a very decent person, but your view (this one belief of yours) leaves me cold. Your view is based solely on compassionate grounds. There's no rational logic in it.

Angela Harlem said:
Is it really a decent act to hope for/condone/wish for/truly believe that death is the most rational and reasonable response to someone committing a murder? I'm sure you are a very decent person, but your view (this one belief of yours) leaves me cold. Your view is based solely on compassionate grounds. There's no rational logic in it.

Explain what you mean by "rational".

I gave you my rational explanation - I don't believe that a murderer should have the right to live when he didn't afford that right to his victim.

Angela Harlem said:

Based on what grounds? How is it just?
Just is a term of morality, an argument of proportional punishment fits. Of course by that same logic rapists should themselves be punished with rape.

Justin24 said:

I am sorry I dont feel that way. It's my own opinion. If someone killed my brother or any family memeber, that person better get the DP or I will kill him/her myself.

And face death penalty.

adrball said:

Not really. If you could GUARANTEE 100% that he was guilty, then a slow painful death is as good as any death.

But you can't GUARANTEE it. And that is the only reason why it should be abolished.

You are really OK with the state, and by extension the public and you and all of us, inflicting slow painful deaths for vengeance's sake? That is immoral and disgusting.

Achtung Bono, as I recall you applied to NYU? I think the climate there will either drive you crazy or, if you let it, do you some good.

Executions halted in 2 states after botched injection

OCALA, Florida (AP) -- Gov. Jeb Bush suspended executions in Florida after a medical examiner said Friday that prison officials botched the insertion of the needles when a convicted killer was put to death earlier this week.

Separately, a federal judge in California imposed a moratorium on executions in the nation's most populous state, declaring that the state's method of lethal injection runs the risk of violating the constitutional ban on cruel and unusual punishment.

U.S. District Judge Jeremy Fogel ruled in San Jose that California's "implementation of lethal injection is broken." But he said: "It can be fixed."

Fogel said the case raised the question of whether a three-drug cocktail administered by the San Quentin State Prison is so painful that it "offends" the Eighth Amendment ban on cruel and unusual punishment.

Fogel said he was compelled "to answer that question in the affirmative."

California has been under a capital punishment moratorium since February, when Fogel called off the execution of rapist and murderer Michael Morales amid concerns that condemned inmates might suffer excruciating deaths.

Fogel found substantial evidence that the last six men executed at San Quentin might have been conscious and still breathing when lethal drugs were administered.

He ordered anesthesiologists to be on hand, or demanded that a licensed medical professional inject a large, fatal dose of a sedative instead of the additional paralyzing agent and heart-stopping drugs that are normally used. But no medical professional was willing to participate.

In Florida, medical examiner Dr. William Hamilton said Wednesday's execution of Angel Nieves Diaz took 34 minutes -- twice as long as usual -- and required a rare second dose of lethal chemicals because the needles were inserted clear through his veins and into the flesh in his arms. The chemicals are supposed to go into the veins. (Watch officials explain why it took 2 injections and 34 minutes )

Hamilton, who performed the autopsy, refused to say whether he thought Diaz died a painful death.

"I am going to defer answers about pain and suffering until the autopsy is complete," he said. He said the results were preliminary and other tests may take several weeks.

Missing a vein when administering the injections would cause "both psychological and physical discomfort -- probably pretty severe," said Dr. J. Kent Garman, an emeritus professor of anesthesia at the Stanford School of Medicine in California.

"All the drugs would be much slower to affect the body because they're not going into a blood vessel. They're going under the skin. They take a long time to be absorbed by the body," said Garman, said he was ethically opposed to lethal injection.

An inmate would remain conscious for a longer period of time and would likely be aware of increased difficulty breathing and pain caused by angina, the interruption of blood flow to the heart, he said.

Jonathan Groner, associate professor of surgery at Ohio State University, said the injection would cause excruciating pain "like your arms are on fire."

Bush created a commission to examine the state's lethal injection process in light of Diaz's case, and he halted the signing of any more death warrants until the panel completes its final report by March 1.

The governor said he wants to ensure the process does not constitute cruel and unusual punishment, as some death penalty foes argued bitterly after Diaz's execution. Florida has 374 people on death row; it has carried out four executions this year.

Medical findings contradict prison officials

Diaz, 55, was put to death for murdering the manager of a Miami topless bar during a holdup in 1979.

The medical examiner's findings contradicted the explanation given by prison officials, who said Diaz needed the second dose because liver disease caused him to metabolize the lethal drugs more slowly. Hamilton said that although there were records that Diaz had hepatitis, his liver appeared normal.

Executions in Florida normally take no more than about 15 minutes, with the inmate rendered unconscious and motionless within three to five minutes. But Diaz appeared to be moving 24 minutes after the first injection, grimacing, blinking, licking his lips, blowing and appearing to mouth words.

As a result of the chemicals going into Diaz's arms around the elbow, he had a 12-inch chemical burn on his right arm and an 11-inch chemical burn on his left arm, Hamilton said.

Florida Corrections Secretary James McDonough said the execution team did not see any swelling of the arms, which would have been an indication that the chemicals were going into tissues and not veins.

Diaz's attorney, Suzanne Myers Keffler, reacted angrily to the findings.

"This is complete negligence on the part of the state," she said. "When he was still moving after the first shot of chemicals, they should have known there was a problem and they shouldn't have continued. This shows a complete disregard for Mr. Diaz. This is disgusting." (Watch Keffer describe Diaz "suffering in pain" -- 2:42 )

Earlier, in a court hearing in Ocala, she had won an assurance from the attorney general's office that she could have access to all findings and evidence from the autopsy. She withdrew a request for an independent autopsy.

David Elliot, spokesman for the National Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty, said experts his group had contacted suspected that liver disease was not the explanation for the problem.

"Florida has certainly deservedly earned a reputation for being a state that conducts botched executions, whether its electrocution or lethal injection," Elliot said. "We just think the Florida death penalty system is broken from start to finish."

Florida got rid of the electric chair after two inmates' heads caught fire during executions in the 1990s and another suffered a severe nosebleed in 2000. Lethal injection was portrayed as a more humane and more reliable process.

Twenty people have been executed by injection in Florida since the state switched from the electric chair in 2000.

Lethal injection is the preferred execution method in 37 states.

Angela Halem as achtung bono said. I pray that nothing happens to all of us. But how can you live with knowing the person who killed your love one is being fed, has a place to sleep, gets to exercise, watch tv, and I am sure cause more violence in prison? so not only do you spend thousands of dollars to bury your loved one, your still paying to keep this person alive?

Angela I dont want to look like a bad person. I hope you dont think bad of me, but this is my opinion.

AchtungBono said:

Angela,
G-d forbid, if anything ever happened to one of my loved ones, my stomach would churn at the thought of the murderer getting away with it by getting his life when he had total disregard for another life.

How can I be satisfied that justice has been served when the murderer is in jail, watching TV, having sex with cellmates and living on the taxpayer's money while my loved one is dead and buried.

Why should the murderer get mercy when the victim didn't? Where's the justice in THAT

Agreed. Punishments are suppossed to act as negative reinforcement and if these things keep happening well then perhaps we do need harsher punishments.

I don't wish death penalties on absolutely no one. But, if it is written in the penal code that the punishment for a certain crime is death and they still go ahead and do it they brought it upon themselves. It's a simple cause and effect.

I don't see how you CAN'T see that the government has no responsibility in putting a person to death. The criminals simply brought it upon themselves.

BrownEyedBoy said:

Agreed. Punishments are suppossed to act as negative reinforcement and if these things keep happening well then perhaps we do need harsher punishments.

Oh yeah, go as deep as the level of the murderer and see that even this punishment doesn't work.
And what's the solution after that?
I mean, never ever will any punishment murder from being happen.

Real Christians would agree that the only one to pass judgment on people is God. It's not our place to decide who is worthy of death based on a crime, no matter what the Bible says. After all, it's been rewritten a million times over by man who has his own opinions to put into it.

Stick them in jail and let them rot. Death is giving them the easy way out. If someone killed a member of my family I'd rather have them sit in a confined room for life and think about exactly why they are there.

Sorry this had to be from my state. I'm pretty sure we have the second highest death penalty execution rate, next to Texas. Take a good gubernatorial guess why. :happy:

A citzen's "satisfaction", frankly, is not the point, nor is "justice" or any other such vague, subjective concept. I say this not because I am a cold-hearted bitch :wink: but because those are roles far too huge for the State (talk about BIG government) and to nebulous. As this thread demonstrates, folks just don't agree on what's just and what isn't. Hence a more limited, concrete "public safety" is the better goal here, and that is well accomplished by life in prison.

Justin24 said:
Angela Halem as achtung bono said. I pray that nothing happens to all of us. But how can you live with knowing the person who killed your love one is being fed, has a place to sleep, gets to exercise, watch tv, and I am sure cause more violence in prison? so not only do you spend thousands of dollars to bury your loved one, your still paying to keep this person alive?

Angela I dont want to look like a bad person. I hope you dont think bad of me, but this is my opinion.

Just food for thought:

Since 1973 at least 120 people on death row were released after evidence found them innocent.

In January, Republican Governor George Ryan of Illinois suspended all execcutions in that state after 13 death row inmates were found to have been wrongly executed.

California death penalty system costs tax payers $114 million per year beyond the costs of keeping convicts locked up for life.

In Kansas the costs of capital cases are 70% more expensive than comparible non-capital cases, including the cost of incarceration.

Since 1993, 21 executions were found to be of innocent persons have been added to the list of mistaken convictions in capital cases.

Also, I'm personally no stranger to tragedy. A friend of mine was murdered years ago in a Toronto parking structure. I still don't think it is worth it. May be if it was a child of mine I would think differently but at this point I still don't.

Last edited:
Ok this is what I don't understand. Murder is one of the worst things in society (I'd add in rape, peadophilia and animal abuse) If someone killed my family or friends I would be inconsolable. NO ONE has the right to take someone elses life, that is why we look on murder with such horror and disgust. Mortality is our weakness, and for someone ELSE to have the choice to snuff it out before our body naturally does it, is incomprehensable.

But this goes both ways. Just because someone has commit such a horrible crime does not mean we punish them but committing the same crime. It just doesn't make sense.

also to answer some of the "arguments" brought up in this thread.

If some of our tax money didn't go to the murders in gaol (which are only a small percentage of a prison) then it would go SOMEWHERE ELSE. We wouldn't all be getting $500 back every year because we're killing so many people. Taxes don't work like that.

You ASSUME that if someone killed a person in each posters family, we'd all be salivating with vengence. It don't WORK like that. Of course i'd want the murderer to go to gaol for the rest of their life, but I would feel SICKENED to think they would be killed. Taking of someone's life is such a NO NO that I would not want to be a part of it, whether it was "legal" or not. I'm so thankful i live in a country that doesn't have the death penalty!

And echoing what other people have said, obviously death is not a good enough deterrant, so its NOT WORKING. People ae always going to spaz out and kill someone, or there are going to be people with mental problems who go on killing rampages. They don't FEAR death, so why kill them? It would scare me to think someone would take pleasure or feel better from knowing that someone had been murdered by your own government under so called "justice"

People like that scare the fuck out of me. What is wrong with you?

Varitek said:
Achtung Bono, as I recall you applied to NYU? I think the climate there will either drive you crazy or, if you let it, do you some good.

Ah, my alma mater.

Back
Top Bottom