First Ted Haggard...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ormus

War Child
http://www.365gay.com/Newscon06/12/121106pastor.htm

Another Colorado Anti-Gay Pastor Outed
by 365Gay.com Newscenter Staff

Posted: December 11, 2006 3:00 pm ET

(Denver, Colorado) The senior pastor of a second Colorado megachurch has resigned following a phone call to the church outing him.

The Rev. Paul Barnes of Grace Chapel in South Denver announced in a video taped message to his congregation Sunday that he was stepping down.

"I have struggled with homosexuality since I was a 5-year-old boy," Barnes said in the video according to the Denver Post which was allowed to view the tape.

".. I can't tell you the number of nights I have cried myself to sleep, begging God to take this away."

In the video Barnes is seen sitting with his wife.

The church's associate pastor, Dave Palmer, told the Post that the church got an anonymous call last week from a person who said he had overheard a conversation in which someone mentioned "blowing the whistle" on evangelical preachers engaged in homosexuality, including Barnes.

Barnes founded Grace Chapel in his basement 28 years ago and saw it grow to be one of the biggest churches in the state.

His resignation comes a month after Colorado Springs pastor Ted Haggard was outed by a former male prostitute.

Barnes preached that homosexuality is a sin, but unlike Haggard neither he nor his church took a stand on a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage that was approved by voters last month.

In the video Barnes said he became a Christian at age 17 and felt it would help him give up homosexuality, but the feelings never went away, he said.

Still, he said he cannot accept that a person is "born that way," adding that he believes sexuality is influenced by childhood experiences.

Barnes said in the video that he has been in counseling three times but never found anyone he could talk to.

His wife also appeared in the half-hour video the Post reported, saying that she didn't know about her husband's struggles until he confided in her last week. The couple has two daughters in their 20s.

Here's the "ex-gay" sham for you. No matter how much Barnes pretended to the contrary, no matter how much he prayed, no matter how much he "accepted Christ" into his heart...he's still the same person he always was.

I can't imagine living a life with so much self-loathing and a refusal to accept who you are, and I'm absolutely disgusted that religion continues to perpetuate the "ex-gay" lie. Barnes' life has been ruined by this extremist ideology, and now he has a wife and children that's dragged into this mess.

And, in case the implication wasn't clear enough, I get a real kick out of the idea that there's going to be more "whistle blowing" on other hypocritical evangelical preachers.

So who's next? :hmm:

i suggest, if you are inclined, to pray for these people to accept themselves as God made them and to turn their lives around and help those who have similarly been persecuted by specific religious beliefs.

Well I think we are all very relieved to know this:

DENVER - One of four ministers who oversaw three weeks of intensive counseling for the Rev. Ted Haggard said the disgraced minister emerged convinced that he is "completely heterosexual."

Haggard also said his sexual contact with men was limited to the former male prostitute who came forward with sexual allegations, the Rev. Tim Ralph of Larkspur told The Denver Post for a story in Tuesday's edition.

"He is completely heterosexual," Ralph said. "That is something he discovered. It was the acting-out situations where things took place. It wasn't a constant thing."

Ralph said the board spoke with people close to Haggard while investigating his claim that his only extramarital sexual contact happened with Mike Jones. The board found no evidence to the contrary.

"If we're going to be proved wrong, somebody else is going to come forward, and that usually happens really quickly," he said. "We're into this thing over 90 days and it hasn't happened."

Haggard resigned as president of the National Association of Evangelicals last year after allegations of sexual misconduct surfaced. He was also forced out from the 14,000 New Life Church that he founded years ago in his basement after Jones alleged Haggard paid him for sex and sometimes used methamphetamine when they were together. Haggard, who is married, has publicly admitted to "sexual immorality."

Haggard said in an e-mail Sunday, his first communication in three months to church members, that he and his wife, Gayle, plan to pursue master's degrees in psychology. The e-mail said the family hasn't decided where to move but that they were considering Missouri and Iowa.

Another oversight board member, the Rev. Mike Ware of Westminster, said the group recommended the move out of town and the Haggards agreed.

"This is a good place for Ted," Ware said. "It's hard to heal in Colorado Springs right now. It's like an open wound. He needs to get somewhere he can get the wound healed."

It was also the oversight board that strongly urged Haggard to go into secular work.

:crack:

link

Last edited:
His wife's name: Gay-le :lmao:

It's crazy that he was forced out of the church he founded.

And he didn't learn anything.

"He is completely heterosexual," Ralph said.

I don't want to know how he found that out.

:lmao: omg he is going to study psychology??? oh i wish i could be there when they discuss homosexual identity development!!!!! AND he has to read all those articles from the APA. he's going to have it shoved in his face that homosexuality is a SEXUAL ORIENTATION and not a "mental illness" like so many misguided believe.

even the quacks who are into abusive techniques like "reparative therapy" agree that it takes years and years to completely cleanse someone of "homosexual desires."

"If we're going to be proved wrong, somebody else is going to come forward, and that usually happens really quickly," he said. "We're into this thing over 90 days and it hasn't happened."

So 90 days is the "no other male prostitutes have come forward so therefore this man is 100% woman lovin' hetero!" cut-off time, eh? That's interesting. :wink: :lol:

I kinda feel sorry for the guy, except I'm willing to bet he didn't/wouldn't have treated others who think they are in a similar situation very well.

Can't believe people are that incredibly, mind numbingly stupid.

redhotswami said:
:lmao: omg he is going to study psychology???

Probably at a conservative Christian institution that will just reinforce his incorrect worldview.

It starts sounding like cult brainwashing after a while.

Ormus said:

Probably at a conservative Christian institution that will just reinforce his incorrect worldview.

It starts sounding like cult brainwashing after a while.

REALLY??? Sorry for my ignorance...but, wow. How will they reinforce that view? Are they just gonna not read anything by the APA?? Does that even count as a real degree?

redhotswami said:
REALLY??? Sorry for my ignorance...but, wow. How will they reinforce that view? Are they just gonna not read anything by the APA?? Does that even count as a real degree?

"Christian" colleges don't have to live in the real world, due to "religious freedom." As for how valid those degrees are, I don't know. But I'm sure that he'll become some poster boy for some "ex-gay" organization's quackery, so it's not as if "validity" is important anyway in his world.

Ormus said:

"Christian" colleges don't have to live in the real world, due to "religious freedom." As for how valid those degrees are, I don't know. But I'm sure that he'll become some poster boy for some "ex-gay" organization's quackery, so it's not as if "validity" is important anyway in his world.

Well, if you're talking about a non-accredited "Bible college" then, yeah. But no one is going to recognize a "masters" degree from such a place anyway.

Speaking as someone was a psychology major (before switching to education) who went to an actual accredited university run a a conservative Christian denomination I can promise you that the APA would definitely be heard of and referenced. There are standards for accreditiation and handing out legititmate degrees and Christian colleges have to follow them just like everyone else.

Of course it's not surprising that the professors in the Behavioral Science dept (my "home" throughout my college years, I continued to work there even after I switched majors) where among the more "liberal" than say, the folks over in the seminary.

maycocksean said:

Well, if you're talking about a non-accredited "Bible college" then, yeah. But no one is going to recognize a "masters" degree from such a place anyway.

Speaking as someone was a psychology major (before switching to education) who went to an actual accredited university run a a conservative Christian denomination I can promise you that the APA would definitely be heard of and referenced. There are standards for accreditiation and handing out legititmate degrees and Christian colleges have to follow them just like everyone else.

Of course it's not surprising that the professors in the Behavioral Science dept (my "home" throughout my college years, I continued to work there even after I switched majors) where among the more "liberal" than say, the folks over in the seminary.

AH okay that makes sense. All I want is for Ted to have to study homosexual identity development (according to the APA, and not according to the lies he was spitting out), do a presentation, write a paper, and take a test on it.

Ormus said:

SOME Christian colleges. I took several psychology and gender studies/comm. & gender courses at a "Christian" college and just like everywhere else, we found these ideas to be laughable and disturbing at the same time. They have no scientific or academic value. If I went to any college that entertained them as truth, I'd drop out and demand my money back.

I am a Christian myself, and here's what I have to say about all of this:

1. He should never be allowed back to his former place of ministry. There's no way he can go back to pastoring a congregation when his lifestyle is directly contrary to what's in the Bible, something that he preaches to others. He's just being a hypocrite.

2. He's way too mixed up right now to be studying psychology. He needs to straighten out his own issues before he tries to do something with a psychology degree.

3. Christian education is frustrating to me. It's a waste of time because the Bible is meant to be the source of knowledge and ethics to people, not some books written by a guy who read it once or twice. The Bible is a compass for which to base your choices and beliefs on, and when "Christian literature" becomes a substitute for that, brainwashing can occur, as it will be tilted toward that person's (the man/woman who wrote the book) worldview, and view of the Bible. A person would be best served learning from a non-Christian curriculum and having the fortitude to not let it influence their beliefs.

LemonMelon said:
I am a Christian myself, and here's what I have to say about all of this:

1. He should never be allowed back to his former place of ministry. There's no way he can go back to pastoring a congregation when his lifestyle is directly contrary to what's in the Bible, something that he preaches to others. He's just being a hypocrite.

What exactly is contrary?

Are ministers suppose to be perfect?

BonoVoxSupastar said:

What exactly is contrary?

Are ministers suppose to be perfect?

Of course not.

I just want to be taught by someone who actually has relative confidence in what they're talking about. :shrug:

BonoVoxSupastar said:
But what "lifestyle" is contrary? That's what I don't understand.

"I have struggled with homosexuality since I was a 5-year-old boy," Barnes said in the video according to the Denver Post which was allowed to view the tape.

It's not a lifestyle so much as a mixed opinion.

Look, I have nothing against gays, and I hope they find whatever it is they're looking for in life. But I think that if a man is struggling with this, he shouldn't be teaching it is a sin. Having an opinion is one thing, but being a person of great influence and having an opinion is quite another. The same thing goes for him trying to be a psychologist; if he's mixed up personally, he shouldn't be straightening others out as a profession. This isn't cruel, it's honest.

maycocksean said:

OK, that's reassuring.

Back
Top Bottom