fighting crystal meth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irvine511

Blue Crack Supplier
we have a new crack in America.

the real culprit behind the slight rise in STDs and HIV infections in gay male culture right now is the use of crystal meth. the drug has rampaged through rural America as well. in general, i'm cautiously libertarian when it comes to recreational drug use (pot, mild hallucinogenics, alcohol ... heroin and cocaine are different stories). but i will come out as a raging conservitive when it comes to this particular drug. it's potent beyond belief, and if we don't get a grip on it, it may undo all the progress we have made against HIV in the gay world.

funding advertizing or ask health authorities to help (although necessary) isn't nearly enough. we must insist on zero tolerance of this drug among our friends and loved ones out of love and concern for one another, and we must encourage every addict to get treatment. to the gay men out there: we have risen to the occasion before and we can do so again. not by stigmatizing, blaming or ostracizing. but by confronting, persuading, begging one another to overcome this menace.

here's one resource: http://www.lifeormeth.com/

This scares me, this new strain of HIV. I'm conservative about drugs and always have been, but I can understand what could drive gay people to this form of escape, as much as it's possible for me to understand. I agree w/ zero tolerance in light of this new strain.

I truly hope something can be done to stop this.

I hate drugs. I even want to ban tobacco products.

Alcohol? I'm kind to it. Unlike tobacco or any other illegal drug, alcohol is harmless, if it isn't abused. I can't say the same about tobacco. It's harmful even in "small" amounts (and, due to it's addictive nature, I don't know anyone who uses tobacco in "small" amounts).

Truthfully, none of my friends are drug addicts, so I have no one to confront. But I am very hardline against it, so if my friends did, they would get an earful from me.

(And those who know me, know that I would.)

Melon

Use of this harmful drug is a sad reality. I hope that those who want to escape reality will find ways that are not self-destructive and dangerous.

You are right when you say we need zero tolerance of this drug Irvine. My family has been ravaged beyond belief by meth, starting way back in the late 80's.

There is no such thing as a recreational meth user (luckily my experimentation period with it was brief) and the downfall is swift and complete. I have seen people lose their jobs, kids, homes, cars, possesions, friends and at some point, their sanity. And even if you are one of the lucky few who manages to quit, the physical and mental damage can take years to reverse, if it ever does. I know people who have permanent tics, can't focus long enough to hold down even a menial job, talk to themselves...its beyond sad.

The success rate for users who try to quit is not encouraging. Someone I love very much was clean for 6 years and in the span of one short relapse, lost her home, car, job and went to prison for a year.

The signs of meth use are easy to spot...if you think someone you know is using it, they are. Get to them before they are too far gone, if you can. In the end, the user has to want help but if they know they have a support system when the times comes, they're more likely to follow through.

i was addicted to meth for over a year when i was younger. i'm talking, wake up and look for it addicted. i gave away nearly everything i owned for meth. it wasn't until i ended up in the hospital that i realized what i had become. the doctors said if i had done any more that night, my heart would have stopped. that evil shit nearly killed me. looking back, i cannot believe the life i was living. it's still difficult for me to watch film scenes where people are snorting. i have to look away, because i can still feel that rush.

when i quit, it was insanely tough. i had to actually move away from the town where my "friends" who were still using lived. i changed my phone number. i cut off all contact completely. i now know that most of them went nowhere. one of them spent many years in jail, and one of them died. (he had a long history of meth abuse, had a seizure while swimming and drowned.)

meth is pure evil. zero tolerance indeed. if i ever found out my child had ingested that vile substance, i don't know what i would do. i would probably put a pile of dog shit in front of her and tell her to snort that, because it's the same thing.

drug abuse is such a tragedy. i am compassionate, but i am also angry.

my heart goes out to those who are still addicted.

I am happy to hear about your recovery. I obviously wasn't there to witness it, but it seems like a very tough addiction to beat.

bonosgirl84 said:

when i quit, it was insanely tough. i had to actually move away from the town where my "friends" who were still using lived. i changed my phone number. i cut off all contact completely.

I am convinced that this is the only way to quit and stay clean for good. I have seen SO many people quit for a few months and think they can hang out in the same places with the same people and stay clean. Its just not possible.

My sister stayed clean for 6 years and thought we (her family) were idiots for suggesting that she find a new group of friends once her old friends started coming home from prison. Her reasoning was that they would all be on parole and couldn't use. Right. Within a month of her son's father getting out she started snorting on weekends, in 6 months she was shooting up and dealing. She was finally arrrested after an undercover sting and the police found a huge bag of meth, heroin and syringes packaged for sales under the hood of her car. She did a year in prison and has been home for 2 months and everytime I see her now, I'm looking for signs that she's slipped again. I hate it but its really hard to trust again after someone was clean for so long.

I do have compassion but yeah, it does piss you off when you see people throw their lives away and even worse, destroy the lives of their children and families.

Thank God things turned out better for you bg :hug:

bonosgirl84 said:
i was addicted to meth for over a year when i was younger. i'm talking, wake up and look for it addicted. i gave away nearly everything i owned for meth. it wasn't until i ended up in the hospital that i realized what i had become. the doctors said if i had done any more that night, my heart would have stopped.

i remember you told me this a while back. i for one am really happy that you are here alive to tell about your experiences. gah...i love you and im so glad your here:hug::heart:

Last edited:
I know a fair bit about amphetamine (speed) as I took it for a few months when I was younger (big, big, mistake). Since then I haven't touched anything like that.
Well done to anyone who's come off that shit.

As I don't know much about crystal meth, would someone be able to tell me the difference between methamphetamine and amphetatmine? Pardon my ignorance. Or is it exactly the same thing?

Last edited:
A friend died from it a year ago, and another one is in rehab right now. He has a good chance of recovery, I think, because he checked himself in and really wants to be free of it, which wasn't true for him a year ago. He's doing great but knows he has a long road ahead of him.

melon said:

I can't say the same about tobacco. It's harmful even in "small" amounts (and, due to it's addictive nature, I don't know anyone who uses tobacco in "small" amounts).

I actually know a lot of people who use tobacco in small amounts. They smoke socially and aren't addicted. I can do that myself. Tobacco has a relaxing effect on me and though it's a disgusting habit, there have been occasions where I was really stressed out and smoking a cigarette in my backyard had a calming effect. But I am fortunate not to have any addictive tendencies. Compulsive, yes-- addictive, no. Last fall during a very stressful period where I moved and lost two of the most important people in my life, I spent about two months smoking on average 2 American Spirit cigarettes a day. Then I was done with it. I guess some people thought it was stupid but it helped me get through a rough time. I had no withdrawal, neither physical nor psychological. But I'm aware that's unusual.

Last edited:
guys -- this is amazing. thank you for sharing all your thoughts, feelings, experiences, and gained wisdom.

i can't think of a more compelling way to get people to say no.

the battle against meth begins in places like this.

my oldest and closest friend Joey was addicted for a couple of years. i don't know how she didn't lose everything. and i am so naive about drugs and drug users, i had no clue. until i saw the pipe in her bathroom once when i was visiting. i begged her to stop and even ended our friendship for a bit. she finally quit hanging out with those people and decided she wanted to clean herself up. she has been drug free for 10 years now! :applaud:

and bg, i am so glad you are here to tell your story. :hug:

I respectfullly disagree with you, Melon, that alcohol is harmless. How can something that causes such grief and tragedy be harmless? I know, small amounts, but if you're unlucky enough to be wired for it, that first sip is a sentence to hell.

Last edited:
najeena said:
I respectfullly disagree with you, Melon, that alcohol is harmless. How can something that causes such grief and tragedy be harmless? I know, small amounts, but if you're unlucky enough to be wired for it, that first sip is a sentence to hell.
I think it depends on your tolerance level for it. I've had strong stuff before, and it barely got me buzzed. As for other drugs, I'm basically an abolitionist (I like that word, it's kind of persuasive). Alcohol is harmful when it is abused. When it is used in moderation, it can actually be good for you. In fact, a wine or beer every week is supposedly beneficial in preventing coronary heart disease.

Macfistowannabe said:
In fact, a wine or beer every week is supposedly beneficial in preventing coronary heart disease.

*Nods* My dad had heart problems a few years back, and after he got out of the hospital, the doctor suggested he drink a beer each week or so to help his heart. He personally didn't choose that route, because, although he used to drink when he was younger, he can't stand the stuff now. But yeah, his doctor did actually suggest that to him.

Anywho...people mention tobacco...while I personally find it disgusting and wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole, I still say it's someone else's choice if they want to have that stuff.

As for drugs along the lines of crystal meth...I have been fortunate enough to not have any friends or family get caught up in that crap, and I hope that people out there who do do this stuff wise up and get out of that, 'cause I can't imagine why anyone would want to get messed up with that stuff in the first place. That's really scary that this is responsible for this new HIV stuff...just what we need, another way for people to get this disease.

If a friend or family member ever did, for some reason, decide to get caught up in that stuff, though, I'd help them the best I could, if they really wanted my help and support and everything.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:
*Nods* My dad had heart problems a few years back, and after he got out of the hospital, the doctor suggested he drink a beer each week or so to help his heart. He personally didn't choose that route, because, although he used to drink when he was younger, he can't stand the stuff now. But yeah, his doctor did actually suggest that to him.
:up: Thanks for sharing.

Macfistowannabe said:
I think it depends on your tolerance level for it. I've had strong stuff before, and it barely got me buzzed. As for other drugs, I'm basically an abolitionist (I like that word, it's kind of persuasive). Alcohol is harmful when it is abused. When it is used in moderation, it can actually be good for you. In fact, a wine or beer every week is supposedly beneficial in preventing coronary heart disease.

i think what najeena was talking about here was a predisposition for alcoholism. if you come from a line of alcoholics, you are have a greater chance of being triggered merely by one drink.

it is the same thing as a drug addict deciding to become an occassional user merely because they think they can handle it.

it only takes once to trigger something in your brain which can lead to addiction.

Thanks, Doozer, that was exactly what I was talking about. Both my parents were alcoholics, as am I. It didn't kill me, but it came damn close. My first drink doomed me to follow in their footsteps, even though I had seen what it did to them. How many alcholics are there? How many of them have chilren?

While I find it a little hard to believe that the first sip is dooming, I will take your word for it. Best wishes in your recovery. :hug:

My ex is an alcoholic that will have 20 years sober in March. She also studied and became a drug and alcohol counselor and worked at several recovery houses. That is where I learned about the disease of alcoholism.

I used to believe it was a choice. My oldest brother died of cirrhosis so it is in my family. And although I drink very rarely, it is always in the back of my mind, "is this the one?".

It's in my family too, so that's the main reason I stay away from alcohol. Drugs too, never have.

I have smoked cigarettes occasionally but never became addicted to it, I do feel however I have the predisposition to become addicted to something. Maybe all humans do, it's just a matter of degree.

I read somewhere that if there is alcoholism in your family you have a 50-50 chance of also being an alcoholic. Is that right, Doozer? I've certainly seen this in families, where a parent is an alcoholic and one of the kids is but not the other kid.

Also, you can't become an alcoholic by simply drinking too much and abusing alcohol unless you're already an alcoholic--meaning you have the genetic predisposition. As I understand it, some people may have never had a drink in their life but are still alcoholics and don't know it because it's never been triggered.

I am fortunate not to have that genetic predisposition. It's not on either side of my family as far back as anyone can trace. I did so many drugs and drank so much in college but I never got addicted to anything. When I was done with it, I was done.

I was given the double whammy of an alcoholic/drug addicted father and a drug addicted mother. My paternal Grandmother was also an alcoholic. I have to be so careful. Most of my life, I've just replaced one addiction with another. Drugs, alcohol, food, the internet. Sometimes I'm surprised I'm a functioning person at all. :sigh:

Back
Top Bottom