feminine divine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PennyPyro

Acrobat
So...what about God as female? Believe in a goddess? or the Goddess? Does God have a feminine side?
Personally, i believe that God does not have gender, but several of the titles for God in my faith (Christianity) are masculine: Father, King, etc. I think that calling God Mother is just as valid as calling God Father. In the Christian context, Jesus did once compare himself to a mother hen who wants to gather her chicks under her wings.
other religions, of course, will have their own reasons to believe (or not believe) in a feminine aspect of divinity. Among these, of course, there are various pagan religions that emphasise a Goddess.
So...discuss, if you will.

PennyPyro said:

Personally, i believe that God does not have gender

I agree. I speak/write of God as the Father, etc, because that's just one way of interpreting one of his MANY roles. It's not the definitive attribute of God. Using human attributes to define God (and I don't only refer to gender) is blasphemous, IMO.

I think God could be married and as we have a Heavenly Father we also have a Heavenly Mother.

That said I think that we should still continue to worship God the Father in the name of his Son.

dbs

diamond said:

That said I think that we should still continue to worship God the Father in the name of his Son.

Since Jesus was fully human (as well as fully divine), he HAS to have a gender, so I'm fine with Jesus as male.

Yeah, I don't think God has a gender. Beings he created have a gender, that doesn't mean he has to. I know we refer to him as he and Father, but as Liesje said, that's more of a relational thing.

diamond said:
I think God could be married and as we have a Heavenly Father we also have a Heavenly Mother.

dbs

what if god is gay?

just asking.

diamond said:
God loves all his children.

Straight Bi or Gay.

dbs

but if you're going to gender god, and give him a wife, why not give him a sexual orientation as well? if he has a wife, then he's obviously straight, no?

Interesting topic...given that there are people out there who would absolutely 'piss their panties' at the thought of God being gender neutral, never mind the suggestion of a feminine aspect.

And God as gay--grab the torches and gather some firewood--they would revive 'burning at the stake' for that one! j/k

But it wouldn't go over too well...:ohmy:

When the Bible was written, God was obviously viewed as a male because women's roles were very limited back in the day obviously, and the typical mysogynist attitudes at the time. Today I think people are changing their view of God as womens rights etc etc are evolving and women are viewed as equals to men. So now many people are saying God doesn't have a gender. I thought God was supposed to transcend things like 'Gender' and 'Race' anyway. Anway the concept of God is entirely illusionary IMO so you make your God whatever you want him to be.

if god doesn't have a gender then he can't be gay. (or straight for that matter)

and isn't he so big an omipetant that such a trivial thing as sexuality would be nothing to him?

I like the idea of a 'mother earth' type figure but its too much hard work believing in something :shrug:

verte76 said:
God doesn't have a gender. Gender is confining and God has no confines.

:up:

Even if God did, it would have to be both genders, either in one form or two forms. Otherwise, the whole "perfection" thing goes out the window.

Although the English translations that I'm aware of -- primarily the King James version -- refer to God using masculine pronouns and terminology (God the Father...), I've heard that some of the original texts use femininine plural pronouns when referring to God. Our mothers, who art in Heaven....
I

I think confining God to a sex limits the very notion of God being God, and transcending all that. The last thing I'd want to do is attribute gender roles to God. I think the interpretation of God as a male-type figure came with the translations that conformed Aramaic to whatever language. Jewish scripture taught the name for God was Alaha, which means Unity.

I'm one of those assholes at mass that always replaces "He" with "God" in the responses :wink:

Thanks for starting this thread! I've been meaning to do it for awhile but never got around to it. Excellent topic! :up:

Back
Top Bottom