Fellow Christians: My girlfriend and I need your help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
shart1780 said:
Yes, it would probably be helpful to ave her see a christian counselor, but NOT a psychologist.

Indeed. Everyone knows that science is the work of the Devil.:whistle:

Another word of advice from a fellow Christian: don't post here asking for help/advice if you don't actually want it or won't try what people say. :shrug:

I think it's a bit presumptous to suggest that a "true" Christian wouldn't consult a psychiatric professional. I know plenty of Christians (my own mom is a good example) who prayed and attended church while seeing clinical therapists and taking medication. There's nothing wrong with doing the two in combination, and I don't think I'm alone in saying that to do otherwise would be foolhardy, and unjust to your girlfriend.

And I am a Christian myself, and I would suggest the same to a Muslim or a Buddhist or whatever if his girlfriend was having similar trouble.

Why don't you just see a pastor and a psychologist? You know, just to cover all bases?

I'd be willing to bet that your pastor would probably suggest seeing a psychologist as well.

Last edited:
I can see why Christians hesitate to see psychologists. I don't think I would see one unless a pastor recommended it. It seems like most psychologists never get to the root of the problem, they just cover it with labels. I know this isn't the case for everyone though.

Last edited:
Psychologists cannot prescribe medication in most states (some states allow Psy.D.s to prescribe psychotropic meds, but most don't). Psychiatrists are medical doctors who specialize in psychiatry, and are usually the ones doing the prescribing based on the recommendations of a psychologist or clinical social worker, following a physical examination.

An important distinction there.

Shart, please think about this. Very serious psychological disorders can cause what happened to your girlfriend. If you truly do love her and want the best for her, please consult a medical and psychological professional. Think of "Miracle Drug," if you will--how science and faith can work together in beautiful, beneficial, holy ways. God gave medical professionals and psychologists the wisdom and experience to help people like your girlfriend.

Let God answer your prayers through those folks.

Well put, pax. :up:

As I asked before, who is to say that these psychologists aren't simply using the gifts God gave them to help their fellow men and women? Science and faith can coexist peacefully.

briarrose said:
I can see why Christians hesitate to see psychologists. I don't think I would see one unless a pastor recommended it. It seems like most psychologists never get to the root of the problem, they just cover it with medicine. I know this isn't the case for everyone though.

Psychologists cannot perscribe medication. Psychiatrists can perscribe medication because they are medical doctors who are also trained in psychology.

I can't see for the life of me why anyone would reject a treatment which could help someone they care for...perhaps even save that person's life. If you'd go to a doctor to have a broken leg set, why wouldn't you go to a doctor to treat emotional/mental illnesses?

Certainly you can pray for your girlfriend, but get her any and all treatment available. To discourage her from getting appropriate treatment is nothing short of abuse.

* edited to note that Pax's explanation of the differeces between psychologists and psychiatrists is better.... :)

Last edited:
I corrected my post. I forgot that psychologists can't prescribe medicine, but what I said still rings true.

shart1780 said:

By following the wisdom of men we'd be undermining God's power. Nowhere in the Bible does it say anyone needs professional help in these situations. It says to cling to God, and to God only. Yes, it would probably be helpful to ave her see a christian counselor, but NOT a psychologist.

Well I guess you don't turn to medicine when you have a cold, or an accountant when you're in debt?

I guess all those Christians who are pschologists and medical doctors are just living lies.:|

Just a word of advice from a christian who had to go through therapy for bouts of uncontrollable anger :
Youre not showing a lack of trust in God by allowing her to have psychological help
Do you realize that God created the world? He created science too. And emotion. And the ability for doctors to understand those things and help us out.
We shouldnt just expect God to do everything for us, we have to use the resources we have, and the brain he gave us and use them sometimes

Trying to solve a potentially spiritual problem by asking for help from secular scientists is potentially dangerous given that many many of today's psychologist deny the very existence of God. How does this help?

briarrose said:
I corrected my post. I forgot that psychologists can't prescribe medicine, but what I said still rings true.

Do you really think so? Do you really think a priest or preacher is going to delve any deeper than "you have offended god somehow. Believe more and you will be fine"?

Some certainly will, but some certainly will not, just like some mental health professionals will really work to find the problem and work to solve it and others will just perscribe the latest medicine the drug rep dropped off. Good and bad in both professions, and the smart, caring cleric will encourage psychological help and many psychologists will suggest spiritual aid if the paitent is so inclined.

briarrose said:
Trying to solve a potentially spiritual problem by asking for help from secular scientists is potentially dangerous given that many many of today's psychologist deny the very existence of God. How does this help?

I'd like to see your stats on that. I wasn't aware of a dangerous outbreak of atheism among psychologists and social workers.

briarrose said:

1) "potentially spiritual" - you said it, not I. No one but GOD knows if this is entirely a spiritual issue, or anything spiritual at all. To me, it sounds like some baggage from her abusive past and suicide attempt. Since when is child abuse a spiritual problem?

2) to go to a priest/pastor who has NO experience dealing with these issues is just plain dumb, IMO. So....let's say there IS a devil demon in this kid...if I had one in me NO WAY would I just automatically trust a paster simply b/c he's a pastor. If there's one things demons don't like, it's pastors trying to mess around...seems to me like things would only get much, much worse. When it comes to theology, I'd bet my life (well...I guess I HAVE bet my life) on my pastor...but when it comes to psychology....no friggin way, buddy!

3) find one that is a Christian. There's got to be more than a few out there.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Another word of advice from a fellow Christian: don't post here asking for help/advice if you don't actually want it or won't try what people say. :shrug:

In fairness, the title specifically says "Fellow Christians". There are some posting answers who do not fit that bill, and will tell you so themselves.

Sharty, none of us know you or the girl personally; we cannot make any kind of diagnosis. The only advice I would give is general advice; talk to your pastor or a Christian whose spiritual walk you know to be very strong. If they know the girl, even better. You might even try to get her to go with you.

However, I will pray for you. Prayer is a very powerful thing.

God Bless Ya
Mike

Last edited:
Yes, but most of the people advising him and his girlfriend to seek professional help ARE Christians. Diemen, u2bonogirl, LivLuv, myself...

All that's needed to cure the problem of demon possession is the acceptance of Jesus Christ as your savior. By depending on the wisdom of men (natural wisdom such as the sciences), supernatural problems cannot be dealt with. I'm not saying the sciences haven't helped us in some ways, but this is a problem between her, God and Satan.

The Bible says that what she needs to be ok is to put on the full armor of God. This includes putting her faith in God, spending time in his word, and constantly praying to him. This is what God says is required to be protected from the dark powers of the world. God says nothing about science or medication. He promises that in God every person can find peace of mind.

You're making it sound like the the blood of Jesus wasn't enough to cover for her, that some other form of scientific advice or medicine is needed because Jesus' sacrifice wasn't enough to do the job. Don't underestimate the blood of Christ, it's the only thing that can (and will) save her.

I never asked for anyone's advice, I asked for the prayer of fellow christians. This thread was obviously directed towards christians. I'm not trying to be offensive to anyone else, and act like your opinions are invalid.

And I honestly don't see the point in "christian psychology".

Last edited:
And I will bow out now if it will prevent further bunching of shorts.

Good luck, shart's girlfriend -- you're certainly gonna need it. :|

Your faith in God to keep her from being demonized again is fine. I agree that no science can cure somebody of a spiritual issue

But theres obviously other things that are harrassing her within herself.
Dont you think that attacking her internal issues will help her be less vulnerable to depression later on?

1) "potentially spiritual" - you said it, not I. No one but GOD knows if this is entirely a spiritual issue, or anything spiritual at all. To me, it sounds like some baggage from her abusive past and suicide attempt. Since when is child abuse a spiritual problem?

Actually, child abuse is a very spiritual problem, if you believe in the devil, and if you believe the Bible when it says that he is the great deceiver and tempter of mankind.

to go to a priest/pastor who has NO experience dealing with these issues is just plain dumb, IMO. So....let's say there IS a devil demon in this kid...if I had one in me NO WAY would I just automatically trust a paster simply b/c he's a pastor. If there's one things demons don't like, it's pastors trying to mess around...seems to me like things would only get much, much worse.

That's not what the Bible says. The Bible says we are victorious over the demons in hell. Christ cast out demons and said that his followers would do "even greater things than these". Christians have the Holy Spirit within them. The Holy Spirit is greater than any man, and the wisdom of God is much greater than the wisdom of man. A good Christian who is a counselor has the power of the Holy Spirit with him/her. A nonChristian psychologist is not protected by the blood of Christ and does not have the Holy Spirit within him. If a nonChristian psychologist went up against a demon, the demon would eat him/her alive.

When it comes to theology, I'd bet my life (well...I guess I HAVE bet my life) on my pastor...but when it comes to psychology....no friggin way, buddy!

If we're talking about spiritual warfare and demons we are talking about "theology", not "psychology".

Last edited:
u2bonogirl said:
Your faith in God to keep her from being demonized again is fine. I agree that no science can cure somebody of a spiritual issue

But theres obviously other things that are harrassing her within herself.
Dont you think that attacking her internal issues will help her be less vulnerable to depression later on?

Yeah and we both plan on dealing with all the issues that she has. But again, I think these issues can all be solved by God. A christian counselor may be needed eventually, but for now we're going to try to solve her problems through God's grace. God did promise that those who place their faith in him will find peace, and I believe that with all my heart. God never said we'd need to help of anyone besides those could possibly counsel her in God's word.

I've never been able to figure this out.

shart1780 said:
They can kill you, and worse, take you to hell with them.

Then are they more powerful than God?

And why is it then only weak Christians, or those with SERIOUS emotional problems somehow become "possessed"? :scratch:

Shart, if you refuse to seek professional help for this child, then get ready for a dead girlfriend. I hate to be blunt, but that's what may happen. Blame it on whomever you like, but she's in serious emotional trouble. Neither of you are prepared to handle this alone, Bible and big, bad boyfriend notwithstanding.

shart1780 said:

Yeah and we both plan on dealing with all the issues that she has. But again, I think these issues can all be solved by God. A christian counselor may be needed eventually, but for now we're going to try to solve her problems through God's grace. God did promise that those who place their faith in him will find peace, and I believe that with all my heart. God never said we'd need to help of anyone besides those could possibly counsel her in God's word.

The grace of God can cover a lot. But sometimes we dont accept it and we're shites to ourselves.
God might not have said we dont need the help of any other than him, but he also commands us to love one another which means we obviously need the fellowship and care of other human beings :yes:
I would recommend talking to a pastor to help see the havoc the roots of sin in both of your lives can raise. A lot of whats probably bothering her are heart issues, and we need others to see what we cant see in ourselves.
:yes:

shart1780 said:
And I honestly don't see the point in "christian psychology".

Just so you know, if I use the term "Christian psychologist", it really means "counselor"; this person counsels people using faith, prayer, the Bible.

That being said, the study of human psychology is a good thing, but can be taken places it shouldn't.

It can help on many levels - for instance, psychologists who study the criminal mind, they help detectives capture criminals.

However, for problems that are truly of a spiritual nature, there is no substitute for faith, prayer and the Bible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom