February 5, 2008 Super Tuesday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Irvine511 said:
now, don't be like people who make one trip to some country and use it to confirm all of their prejudices. and don't be guilty yourself of judging 300m people on the basis of a few.

it's a great big place. politics is crazy. keep an open mind, and don't judge too harshly, seek to understand where things come from and why they happen.

If you go back about six years and find 2002 Axver, he thought the US was a pretty cool country. But it seems the more I become familiar with the country - visiting it, following its politics just as closely as I follow Australia/New Zealand, studying its culture, researching its history - the less I like.

Though I still think Boston's a pretty great place at least.

I've never left the US, and don't see myself leaving anytime soon.

My parents have never left the US. They went to the Key West on their honeymoon, that's as close as they got.

I can't see myself leaving America. I think there's huge problems going on, but the bottom line is that I'm all about my roots, and my roots are my friends and family here around Philly.

BonoManiac said:

Bush had never been anywhere but Mexico prior to becoming President.

That says so much about him. It's not like he was restricted by either time or finances. That he clearly had absolutely no interest in seeing any of the rest of the world is partly really weird, but mostly just goes to show the complete lack of intellectual curiosity the guy has. I've said this before - I don't think the guy is stupid, I just don't think he really gives a fuck outside of his own very (VERY) narrow world and what he sees it as. And no doubt "I've been to Mexico" means "I went to Tijuana to drink cheap booze, do some cheap coke and fuck some cheap hookers".

No wonder he treated the rest of the world as if it were entirely made up of dumbarse hicks from rural Texas - he probably thought that's all there was out there. No wonder the Europeans pissed him off so much. Educated and experienced, and stuff.

phillyfan26 said:

My parents have never left the US. They went to the Key West on their honeymoon, that's as close as they got.

I can't see myself leaving America. I think there's huge problems going on, but the bottom line is that I'm all about my roots, and my roots are my friends and family here around Philly.

You should at least travel, PFan, and not decide at your age that you'll never, ever leave the States.

My roots are here, but you know what? Those roots go back 3 generations. My real roots are elsewhere.

phillyfan26 said:

This shouldn't preclude you from traveling and experiencing different cultures,though.

Axver said:
If you go back about six years and find 2002 Axver, he thought the US was a pretty cool country. But it seems the more I become familiar with the country - visiting it, following its politics just as closely as I follow Australia/New Zealand, studying its culture, researching its history - the less I like.

Though I still think Boston's a pretty great place at least.

But all of us FYM American people live here. It can't be that bad, can it?

phillyfan26 said:

I can't see myself leaving America.

Even to travel?

And Axver, I have huge issues with US policies, but it is a stunningly beautiful country. I've seen more than half of it, and have spent many months there. Anyone I have ever met has been nothing but kind and gracious. Some of my favourite memories are actually from the US south, particularly Georgia. I met many people there that I have nothing in common with. They found my family somewhat of an oddity. But nevertheless they were wonderfully warm to us personally (even with the slow, LOUD "wow. you. speak. english. VERY. WELL." to my mother, a university prof). And yes, Boston is lovely.

anitram said:
But to be fair to him, isn't the statistic something like 80% of Americans don't own a passport?

Shit, really? That's insane. I've only met a couple of people here without passports, and that's blown me away. Everyone has at least been to New Zealand or Indonesia (Bali).

No spoken words said:
You should at least travel, PFan, and not decide at your age that you'll never, ever leave the States.

My roots are here, but you know what? Those roots go back 3 generations. My real roots are elsewhere.

Oh, I will travel, but years from now, after college and all that has gone down.

First on my list is Ireland, second is Britain, third is Canada. Eh.

When I say roots, I don't mean my ancestry or my heritage. My ancestry's two or three generations in America, then back to Ireland. I mean my personal roots, my friends and family. I'm all about that, and, while I intend to travel, I don't see myself moving. Not yet.

There's a lot of time before these decisions come up. Who knows what I'll think in a few years.

Just talking about the here and now perspective.

Boston is lovely, NYC is amazing, San Francisco is great, the Grand Canyon is jaw dropping, New Mexico is wonderful, Utah's National Parks are awesome to behold, and on and on......it's a vast and amazing country in many ways, I do agree.

phillyfan26 said:
But all of us FYM American people live here. It can't be that bad, can it?

You've got some pretty cool railways and trains too, even if you insist on calling them "railroads".

phillyfan26 said:

Oh, I will travel, but years from now, after college and all that has gone down.

First on my list is Ireland, second is Britain, third is Canada. Eh.

When I say roots, I don't mean my ancestry or my heritage. My ancestry's two or three generations in America, then back to Ireland. I mean my personal roots, my friends and family. I'm all about that, and, while I intend to travel, I don't see myself moving. Not yet.

There's a lot of time before these decisions come up. Who knows what I'll think in a few years.

Just talking about the here and now perspective.

Got it.

I cannot explain to you how amazing all of my trips overseas have been.

anitram said:
Even to travel?

Down the road. My parents never have, but I want to.

I guess I've been using "leave" interchangably. I intend to travel, but I can't see myself moving out of the US. Not yet, anyway.

No spoken words said:
Boston is lovely, NYC is amazing, San Francisco is great, the Grand Canyon is jaw dropping, New Mexico is wonderful, Utah's National Parks are awesome to behold, and on and on......it's a vast and amazing country in many ways, I do agree.

I particularly love the American southwest. I've never seen anything like it, and it I spent a month down there a couple of years ago in the late spring and just fell in love.

phillyfan26 said:

I guess I've been using "leave" interchangably. I intend to travel, but I can't see myself moving out of the US. Not yet, anyway.

I should clarify:

If I do move, and it's probably not likely, but if I do, I do not consider it something permanent...I just would like to experience life abroad, and see how it suits me. Couple my frustration level with my wanderlust, and it makes sense for me, even though leaving friends and family further behind than ever would be hard.

anitram said:

I don't know a single person here who has never left the country. :shrug:

I'm 29, and of my closest 10 friends I am one of only 3 who haven't spent at least a year (but usually more) living overseas, and all of us have otherwise travelled extensively. This is perfectly normal, it's just what you do. At some point in your 20's you spend 6 months, a year, more, backpacking/travelling/working overseas. It's the same, I think, with most European countries and certainly Canadians.

That I haven't spent any time living overseas yet is pretty much the total focus of my current little quarter life crisis, and I'm right now working through transfer options within my company to London, Toronto or maybe LA.

Axver said:
You've got some pretty cool railways and trains too, even if you insist on calling them "railroads".

The first time I used a railroad was in Dallas, Texas (I drive everywhere around here). I tell you, the city was boring as hell and no one lives there when the Cowboys aren't playing, but man, they have an impressive train system.

first, there are a bunch of incentives to travel within the Commonwealth that Americans are not privy too.

it's a huge place. if i want warm weather, i just go to Florida. if i want to ski, i go to Colorado. there's no reason to travel unless your intention is to do just that -- travel and see other countries.

but you're talking to someone who adores travel, and would happily live in other countries (and has done so, for a relatively brief period of time).

it's getting more popular, though, as more and more people start to go abroad in college.

now if you'd all stop making us feel so unwelcome, maybe we'd travel more ... ;)

anitram said:

I particularly love the American southwest. I've never seen anything like it, and it I spent a month down there a couple of years ago in the late spring and just fell in love.

Agreed.

It's a unique area. NM and Arizona blow me away.

phillyfan26 said:

I think that may change as you grow and see other places. You get a different sense of the global society and how small our world really is in the end.

If you can travel during college, that is one of the best times. Any money I had or earned during that time, I spent on travel. Best moments of my life.

Irvine511 said:
first, there are a bunch of incentives to travel within the Commonwealth that Americans are not privy too.

Which would those be, exactly?

Irvine511 said:
now if you'd all stop making us feel so unwelcome, maybe we'd travel more ... ;)

Irvine, g-d knows you're a lot more well traveled and knowledgeable than I am...but, where did you go that you felt unwelcome?

I have been to a few countries, and did not do the "I'm from Canada" thing, and found most people fairly warm and welcoming. Maybe they'd be incredulous or worse in regards to our President, but they treated me well.

anitram said:
I think that may change as you grow and see other places. You get a different sense of the global society and how small our world really is in the end.

If you can travel during college, that is one of the best times. Any money I had or earned during that time, I spent on travel. Best moments of my life.

Everyone says that to me. You can't all be wrong. I definitely think it's worth trying a few times.

anitram said:
And Axver, I have huge issues with US policies, but it is a stunningly beautiful country. I've seen more than half of it, and have spent many months there. Anyone I have ever met has been nothing but kind and gracious. Some of my favourite memories are actually from the US south, particularly Georgia. I met many people there that I have nothing in common with. They found my family somewhat of an oddity. But nevertheless they were wonderfully warm to us personally (even with the slow, LOUD "wow. you. speak. english. VERY. WELL." to my mother, a university prof). And yes, Boston is lovely.

What I found very hard to deal with is that so many people I met in the US who treated me well and were very friendly have socio-political views that are completely fucked up and are astonishingly ignorant about the rest of the world. I went with a friend to a Southern Baptist church and got a very warm and inclusive welcome - but internally, I felt very isolated, as I was at the time a liberal Christian, and I imagine I'd feel even worse now that I'm an agnostic. I was terrified during the sermon.

I found it to be a very contradictory, confusing country. My feelings are quite mixed. Obviously in a political thread like this, my negative feelings are going to come out quite strongly. I'm not at all writing off every American and I hope I haven't given that impression, but very large chunks of US society leave me flabbergasted and frankly seem backwards.

Back
Top Bottom