Feb. 9 & 10 Caucuses & Primaries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yolland

Forum Moderator
results so far:

Kansas (Republicans only) caucus: Huckabee 60%, McCain 24%, Paul 11% (with 100% of precincts reporting)

Nebraska (Democrats only) caucus: Obama 68%, Clinton 32% (with 85% reporting; already called for Obama)

US Virgin Islands (Democrats only) primary: Obama 92%, Clinton 8%

Washington (state) caucuses:
Democrats Obama 67%, Clinton 32% (with 66% reporting; already called for Obama)
Republicans no results posted yet
[ Notes from Wikipedia: "The Washington State Republican Party will select 18 of its delegates based on party caucuses on February 9, 19 based on the state primary on February 19, and 3 party officers as automatic delegates." "Washington Democrats use the February 9 caucuses to place their delegates and ignore the February 19 primary." Oookay...]

Louisiana primaries:
Democrats no results posted yet
Republicans no results posted yet
[ Note from CNN: "Louisiana awards 20 at-large delegates to any candidate who wins more than 50% of the February 9 statewide vote. If no candidate wins more than 50%, these delegates are chosen at the February 16 state convention and are officially designated as 'uncommitted.' "]

Tomorrow will be Maine's Democratic caucus.

Last edited:
Whoot for Washington State! Obama had a massive turnout at his Key Arena appearance on Friday. 17,000 inside and thousands (?) more turned away or gathered outside.

Not sure how many Clinton had at her appearance the night before.

Louisiana called for Obama--53% (Obama) to 39% (Clinton), with 56% reporting.

They haven't called the Louisiana Republican primary yet, but currently Huckabee leads McCain 48% to 38% with 56% reporting.

Apparently Louisiana's turnout was quite low for some reason.

The Washington Republican caucus is still too close to call--Huckabee 27%, McCain 23%, and Paul 21% with 37% reporting.

Huckabee looks poised to really, really humiliate McCain here.

Hilarious!

Louisiana is tightening up now as votes from around Baton Rouge and New Orleans come in; McCain was favored in many of those parishes. Huckabee now leads 44%-42% with 88% reporting.

Also McCain has moved into the lead in Washington--McCain 26%, Huckabee 24%, Paul 21% with 78% reporting.

Last edited:
Yes we can!
I am very proud to say I caucused today in the Seattle area for Obama!!
People were packed inside this tiny middle school gym and were pouring out into the street! The majority of people there were for Obama.
First time caucus for me, it was quite an experience!I even was elected as an alternate delegate. People were so excitied and happy to see democracy in action and I even spoke to one gal that was moved to tears by the turn out!
It was amazing. There was electricity in the air!

Another lady I spoke to said she got in to the rally at Key Arena yesterday to see Barack and got to sit right behind the stage.
She was undecided going in and after listening to him, she fully supports him now!!

This is a picture I found on the web from the record breaking crowd in Seattle... over 20,000 with more outside the building who stood in the rain and listened over the loudspeakers!
I think this picture says so much ...
capta8152c78bd594610932c2572242f7b8.jpg

Caucused in Mukilteo, just north of Seattle, for Obama.

Man, the traffic jam getting there was insane! This region has serious Obama fever. What would ordinarily be a 20-minute ride became a 90-minute trek. Ended up parking two miles away from the school where the caucus was held because the traffic was moving so slow. I was walking faster than the cars during that two-mile stretch.

It looks like they had a lot of caucus sites in the city of Seattle, but this high school in Mukilteo was the only place covering several towns in southern Snohomish County. And everybody was supposed to get there at 1 p.m. so traffic wasn't spread out like it would be for a primary. With the delays, I didn't get there until 2, but I was glad my vote still counted.

More and More I am thinking that BOTH parties are really heading towards interesting conventions.

Obama will look good until Ohio & Pennsylvania.....

Huckabee is looking like he will continue to damage McCain.

I love how the primaries were set up so each party would have a clear nominee earlier in the process, and as it turns out the contests are going to last longer than ANYONE expected.

McCain will easily get the nomination.

Obama may have to pimp out Michelle to the super-delagates.

will you even bat an eye, at that 'tasteless' remark?
it felt icky just writing it, I would never think it or say it, except in context of the Cheslea remark - "being blown out of porportion"

you college girls are too "smart"

Me, provocative?

We don't want to blow it out of porportion.

But, the Super-dels could play a big part in the nomination.

Last edited:
"I voted for Barack Abooma!"

NEW YORK (AP) — "I voted for Barack Abooma!" bragged Davita Randall the other day. One should perhaps forgive the mispronunciation. After all, she and her brother Davin, also an "Abooma" enthusiast, are only in kindergarten.

"I've noticed a very, very strong interest on the part of supporters of Barack Obama," says school director Elizabeth Bergstein. "One kid's been campaigning for Obama for weeks." And she's really talking young: The students at her Broadway Presbyterian Church Nursery School, just south of Harlem in Manhattan, are three and four.

"I've noticed a very, very strong interest on the part of supporters of Barack Obama," says school director Elizabeth Bergstein. "One kid's been campaigning for Obama for weeks." And she's really talking young: The students at her Broadway Presbyterian Church Nursery School, just south of Harlem in Manhattan, are three and four.

Kids at her school, she says, "are very engaged in it. Some wear stickers or pins. Or they'll shout, 'Obama!'"

The preschoolers even held a straw poll on Super Tuesday. No Clinton, no Obama, no John McCain or Mike Huckabee — the contest, meant to introduce kids to the idea of voting, was between SpongeBob SquarePants, Dora the Explorer and Bob the Builder. (SpongeBob won.)

In Alex Taylor's first-grade class in a nearby public school, a poll was taken for real candidates, and Obama won, Alex' mother says. Six students did vote for Clinton — all girls, she says. And if her son was disappointed in his mother's voting choice, well, at least he could identify with Dad, who voted for Obama.

But Clinton supporters can take heart from the carefully chosen words of 13-year-old Eyck Freymann, who is undecided but leaning toward Clinton, although he previously supported John Edwards.

Obama spokeswoman Jen Psaki notes wryly that it could be the ages of her candidate's daughters — 6 and 9 — that "may attract more support from the under-10 crowd than his middle-class tax plan."

For Carolyn Solomon, the foster mother of twins Davita and Davin, one of the most exciting things about this presidential race is that "it's triggering something" in youngsters. "They are so hyped up and excited about this election," says Solomon, who also runs a daycare center, where she hears kids talk about the campaign.

And though the 6-year-olds spent the drive to the polling station on Super Tuesday chanting, "Barack, Barack," Solomon, 52, says her extended household is good-naturedly split "right down the middle" between the Democratic candidates.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i7WAfWqGWQH3Y7Jh8XotKMhExXaAD8UMCNO85

A good friend of mine looks just like Barack Obama. It's uncanny.

Even his daughters saw the TIME cover of him last year and were like "Look, it's daddy!"

:)

That's the real reason I'm supporting Obama. Cause he looks like my friend, :wink:

Obama took Maine today. My sister went to help with the counting of the votes for New Mexico today and she told me that they are still verifying the voters and they haven't started to count the votes. New Mexico has until Feb 15, 2008 to get it done. I have a feeling that New Mexico is going to be Obama, which isn't many delegates. The important thing is that New Mexico's population is 48% Hispanic, so it would show that Obama can get a majority of Hispanics. That's the update of the state where manna rules.

Back
Top Bottom