Feb 12: Chesapeake/DMV/Beltway Primaries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
McCain said he's fired up and ready to go. Hahaha! HAHA.

He is an embarrassment. Is he going to plagiarize the rest of Obama's "platitudes" too, one by one?

phanan said:
Everyone knows he is going to win on the Republican side, so you go where the more interesting story at the moment is, and that is on the Democratic side.

What it seems 2861U2 doesn't quite understand is that the media is in this to win viewers. But then this would explain why he believes everything Fox News says, as he genuinely thinks they're reporting rather than just doing what will win them a substantial market share.

I just love when far right extremist Americans get all up in arms about "liberal media bias". Always good for a laugh.

Fox News is an embarrassment to all news stations. They're horribly biased and, when nothing is going on, they revert back to flash-but-no-substance celebrity stories, or issues of high drama like the kidnapping/murder of attractive young blonds. Don't get me started on the ridiculous amount of commercials.

CNN is also obviously biased, but at least they report news most of the time.

2861U2 said:

I don't care what you think, though. The media cannot do that if it wants to be taken seriously and unbiased, no matter how different the two speeches or speakers may be.

You're right, however all of these networks (CNN, MSNBC, FOX NEWS) are all after ratings. People are much more likely to tune in to something that excites them not something that sounds one of their professors. I have no interest in hearing McCain speak, but I do think it's unfair that he doesn't get equal time. When the networks are after viewers, though, they're going to go with what's going to get them and right now, that's Obama.

LemonMelon said:
Fox News is an embarrassment to all news stations. They're horribly biased and, when nothing is going on, they revert back to flash-but-no-substance celebrity stories, or issues of high drama like the kidnapping/murder of attractive young blonds. Don't get me started on the ridiculous amount of commercials.

QFMFTx 1,000,000,000,000. I've always wondered why Nancy Grace isn't on FOX News. Her show would fit in much better there.

Last edited:
I flipped over to Fox (dear God), and there he was, Newt Gingrich on the phone saying that if McCain continued to be the same old "dull Republican", they would get killed in November.

That might explain why few people care to see him on TV.

LemonMelon said:

I found it amazing just how absolutely shithouse the US news media is when I was there. It's one thing here when we occasionally cross for live feeds and I can read their websites and such. It's another to have that totally dominant. I never thought I'd wish for Australia's Channels 7, 9, or 10, but goodness, I did. Fox just made me break out into fits of laughter, and all of the channels were dreadful.

U2isthebest said:

QFMFTx 1,000,000,000,000. I've always wondered why Nancy Grace isn't on that FOX News. Her show would fit in much better there.

See, there isn't anything wrong with celebrity gossip. However....Fox News should really get TMZ on their side.

LemonMelon said:
See, there isn't anything wrong with celebrity gossip.

No, there is. Quite a lot actually. Especially when it's dressed up as "news".

Axver said:

But then this would explain why he believes everything Fox News says

Except I don't, Axver.

Axver said:
I just love when far right extremist Americans get all up in arms about "liberal media bias". Always good for a laugh.

I certainly hope you're not including me in this. If so, I would like some examples of how I'm a "far right extremist."

And if you don't think the media is liberal, you've just become accustomed to it.

Axver said:

No, there is. Quite a lot actually. Especially when it's dressed up as "news".

There is a time and a place for it. Just not, you know, on a station for news and/or politics.

2861U2 said:

And if you don't think the media is liberal, you've just become accustomed to it.

No, I think you've just become indoctrinated into thinking it is...

We've had this discussion 1000's of times, and hardly is there even a remote piece of evidence to support this. In fact the only thing people can come up with is editorials.

Then again you think higher education is liberal.

2861U2 said:

Except I don't, Axver.

I certainly hope you're not including me in this. If so, I would like some examples of how I'm a "far right extremist."

You've got to understand, in Australia(where Axver is) and in Europe and in many other places, ANYBODY who is a conservative in the context of American politics is a 'far right extremist'. I'm not saying this as an attack or to be rude or to be mean, I'm just stating a fact - conservatives in America are all viewed as slightly crazed extremists in a good portion of the international community.

LemonMelon said:

There is a time and a place for it. Just not, you know, on a station for news and/or politics.

Exactly. E! is a channel specifically for celebrity/entertainment news, and they're great at it. I really am not a fan of seeing that on a channel that's supposed to be about the most important stories in the world.

2861U2 said:
Let me get this straight.

Tonight: McCain interrupts Obama, and only Fox News cuts to McCain.

Yeah, there's no media bias. :|

That is simply not true.
I watching Barack's speech on CNN and they cut him off for McCain. I had to turn to MSNBC to see the end of it... even C-span switch from Barack to McCain.

Media bias?

2861U2 said:
Except I don't, Axver.

You've done a good job of fooling me then.

Come to Australia and you'll see what I mean. Hell, Hillary Clinton would fit in quite nicely here as the leader of the Liberal/National Coalition - which is the centre-right party. The only party further to the right to hold a seat in the Australian parliament (and just one seat, which they will lose at the next election) is Family First. They're viewed as fringe crazies here, but a good swathe of your Republicans would fit into it quite nicely. Probably you too, as I suspect even the Liberals are too far left for you.

Also, I found the American news media to, on average, be centre-right to right. I don't live in the US, so how, praytell, could I have become accustomed to it?

PS namkcuR is spot on. :up:

if you want good American media, check out PBS and NPR.

of course, conservatives think these are liberal, but that's just because they're doing their job.

the problem with US media is the hunt for ratings. it's all money driven. that's why PBS and NPR do such good work -- ratings are not the bottom line.

i work for media where the bottom line is ratings, and believe me, it taints the product to an unbelievable amount.

Shall we get back to the topic?

Sweep! The enthusiasm around here is spectacular.

Looking at the county by county numbers, my county back home had huge numbers in the democratic primary, overwhelmingly for Obama. Just the number of those who voted in the Democratic primary is significant, because that is an EXTREMELY conservative county.

I think what's quite interesting is how Obama is picking up the white male voters and women voters. I haven't been following all of the exit polls from the previous primaries, but is this a shift? And did I read that he got a significant proportion of the Hispanic vote here in VA?

I'm excited :hyper:

MSNBC confirmed something I was thinking about earlier; If Hillary doesn't win the delegate count, the margin MUST be as slim as can be in order for her to play the superdelegate card, because if the margin isn't so slim, and she plays the superdelegate card in order to win the nomination, the backlash will be such that she'll be absolutely screwed in the general election.

PBS programming is great. A lot of their stuff shows up on our equivalent channels here (ABC/SBS).

And yes, ratings, ratings, ratings. And don't think Fox won't swing away from being a right-wing junk tabloid station the second being that stops paying the bills. Like it appears to be for most things on the conservative side of the US, the majority are getting taking for a ride by the few, and as per usual, it's for massive profit only.

Back
Top Bottom