FBI Looking for 5 men......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lemonite said:

I just shit my pants..

Demerol.. Am I the only one to catch this?.. That's a funny joke.. Kinda like Cusak's joke in American Sweethearts about the Valium.

That's some original thinking there chap.

Mr. Pink

No really, I took some!!!!!

You give me to much credit!

What a huge surprise. :rolleyes: In the LA Times, buried in the front section, was a little blurb about this whole thing indeed being a "hoax" from some informant in Canada who was in trouble anyway.

I'm so glad our ever-vigilant FBI knows who is pulling its chain and who is serious.

martha said:
What a huge surprise. :rolleyes: In the LA Times, buried in the front section, was a little blurb about this whole thing indeed being a "hoax" from some informant in Canada who was in trouble anyway.

I'm so glad our ever-vigilant FBI knows who is pulling its chain and who is serious.

This is such a win win for those who like to criticize the FBI, CIA.

If they do nothing and something happens....Then we can criticize them for not doing their jobs.

If they do something and nothing happens we can criticize them for causing alarm over nothing.

Maybe nothing has happened in our country since 9/11 is because they have been doing their jobs? Maybe the reason this was such a big alert is because they thought someone actually got through?

Peace

My objection is the climate of fear that has been fostered by this administration. That lets them get away with so much more than they'd be allowed to without it.

"If they stop just one terrorist act, all the repession is worth it."

Bullshit.

I am curious...who are you quoting in your statement?

Peace

Ahhhh...

So anyone who supports the FBI or Law Enforcement Agency supports oppression?

:eyebrow:

Dreadsox said:
Ahhhh...

So anyone who supports the FBI or Law Enforcement Agency supports oppression?

:eyebrow:

No. Anyone who blindly believes all that they're told by the FBI or any LEA is a fool for doing so. I'm all for the FBI when they act on solid leads and go after actual living, breathing criminals.

I don't "blindly" believe everything I am told by anyone, but if Canadian and U.S. law enforcement agencies had reason to believe this informant's lead during the holiday season, then I appreciate their efforts to inform the public of the potential danger.

And dreadsox is right: if security were not increased and there had been additional attacks, people would be calling for Bush's resignation for not averting another tragedy.

~U2Alabama

U2Bama said:
Canadian and U.S. law enforcement agencies had reason to believe this informant's lead during the holiday season, then I appreciate their efforts to inform the public of the potential danger.

This has been the problem, Bama. They have been feeding us these "threats" for months now. They are always just threats. The "Homeland Security" Office, or whatever that thing is called, will issue "warnings" and admit that they have no idea when, where, or what may happen. It usually turns out that it was one those slobs down in the prison camp in Cuba pulling someone's chain again. Like this thing in Canada was. The press release somewhere above was full of maybes and probablies. Even the FBI's release was full of those contingency words. If they'd stop trying to scare us, and only release good, solid leads, maybe more of this would be taken seriously.

Or maybe there aren't any good solid leads. And then their budget would be cut. :|

martha said:

This has been the problem, Bama. They have been feeding us these "threats" for months now. They are always just threats. The "Homeland Security" Office, or whatever that thing is called, will issue "warnings" and admit that they have no idea when, where, or what may happen. It usually turns out that it was one those slobs down in the prison camp in Cuba pulling someone's chain again. Like this thing in Canada was. The press release somewhere above was full of maybes and probablies. Even the FBI's release was full of those contingency words. If they'd stop trying to scare us, and only release good, solid leads, maybe more of this would be taken seriously.

Or maybe there aren't any good solid leads. And then their budget would be cut. :|

I don't see it as trying to scare us. More of like the Amber alerts (for kidnapping victims) they started here in Ca and elsewhere. They really have helped save people, and they know they can't overdue it or people will stop paying attention.

We're scared aplenty, anyway, with forced baggage checks, missile defense systems being proposed, and don't forget the necessary gun in the bedroom to protect from robbers and rapists. On the other hand, our tolerance can backfire if we stay too ingenuous.

martha said:

This is the Fire Alarm effect that I mentioned above. I can agree with this statement in principle.

I can't understand the leap from this to your made up quote.

Thank you for clarifying your position. I think, they fear for their jobs if we have another attack and they had not warned or done enough in the public's mind to stop it. There would be a witchhunt going on right now, if the Republicans had not gained control of the house and the Senate. Now, I think it will not happen, or if it does it will not be an investigation onto 9/11 as deep as they would have had. There were many major problems with 9/11 and the failures of the FBI/CIA. This stretches back to Clinton's Administration and continued with the Bush Administration. I think that from my readings there were many little leads that 9/11 was going to happen, and they did put it all together. Now they react (overly so if you wish) because they do not want to get caught without having done nothing. I truly believe that they would have done anything to change 9/11 if they could have. I hope things get better.....

Peace

DebbieSG said:

More of like the Amber alerts (for kidnapping victims) they started here in Ca and elsewhere. They really have helped save people, and they know they can't overdue it or people will stop paying attention.

These relate to actual crimes committed by actual living people, not made-up threats.

Manhunt 'hoax' warrants apologies: minister
Coderre: Canada unfairly tarnished

ALLAN THOMPSON
OTTAWA BUREAU

OTTAWA?Many Americans and even some Canadians should be apologizing over the story about five mystery men with alleged links to terrorism, says Citizenship and Immigration Minister Denis Coderre.

He singled out politicians like New York Senator Hillary Clinton and journalists who touted what he called a "hoax" story that the five, using false passports, entered the U.S. from Canada around Christmas Eve.

The FBI called off a nationwide hunt for the men yesterday after determining a tip about the five from Michael John Hamdani, an accused immigrant smuggler jailed in Canada since October, was false.

The hunt was launched with a Dec. 29 appeal from the FBI for the public's help in finding the men for questioning. The FBI, reportedly acting on information from Canadian authorities, posted photos and names of five men on the agency's Web site, even though officials acknowledged they weren't sure the images and identities were correct, or that the men had actually entered the country.

"Canada's reputation was unfairly tarnished," Coderre said in an interview yesterday. "It's a hoax.

"First of all, we deserve an apology ... from everybody who wrote and said things," he said.

"I think maybe they have to say `Well, we went too far, we didn't check our facts and the story wasn't accurate.'

"It feels like April Fool's Day. But it will tarnish, unfairly, Canada's reputation ? again."

Coderre said Clinton should be one to apologize.

The U.S. senator told reporters on Dec. 31 that the men had entered New York State from Canada, and she called for greater scrutiny along the Canada-U.S. border.

"Are we going to ask her what she's saying now, now that it wasn't true? Are you going to apologize?" said Coderre.

"Are you going to say `Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't get my facts straight?'"

And he bemoaned the fact U.S. President George W. Bush gave credence to the information the same day when he told reporters at his ranch in Texas that he personally had ordered the FBI to begin a nationwide manhunt for the five men.

"Hey, the President of the United States for God's sake answered himself. You saw that on TV? The guy said `Well after that information, blah, blah, blah.' You know, he was talking about the issue and it was major news," Coderre said.

"We have to be very, very careful and be conscious that we have a duty about what kind of info we're sending or how we treat facts or information."

Coderre also took aim at Ontario's minister of public safety and security, Bob Runciman, who told reporters in Ottawa that thousands of people without proper documents enter Canada, then disappear.

"Everybody, not only the media, public figures. I remember Bob Runciman who about a week ago talked about the policy, the leaky border and stuff like that," he said.

"I don't want to be perceived like I'm attacking anybody. All I'm saying is that maybe we should have a real debate now on the content of information and all the spinning all over the place."

U.S. authorities now believe Hamdani provided false information about the five men in a bid for leniency on forgery charges he faces in the United States.

Hamdani is expected to be transported to New York today to face those charges, which were brought in 1996 and allege he trafficked in fraudulent travel and identification documents.

Coderre said there's no doubt border security is a top priority, but he railed against what he called the "myth" that has so much resonance in the U.S. that Canada is a haven for terrorists.

"It is so easy to say that it's Canada's fault," he said.

"We have to be very careful not to jump on it right away and add to the trend."

Coderre said Canadian government officials ? such as Solicitor-General Wayne Easter and various RCMP spokespersons ? maintained all along there was no evidence the men had crossed the border from Canada. But rumours got more media coverage than the Canadian denials, he said.

And Coderre said that despite the FBI's admission that it proceeded on faulty information, there will still be people who believe five people with terrorist connections crossed the border from Canada into the U.S.

"Now we have to use all the communications skills to make sure that the Canadian people and the American people will have the facts straight," he said.

Coderre defended Canada's actions since the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.

"There's always place for improvement, I agree with that, and we're doing it," he said.

"We deported last year 9,000 people and we're doing our homework... We put $600 million on security.

"We're working very well with all the agencies, not only interdepartmental in Canada, but on the continent."

Dreadsox said:

I can't understand the leap from this to your made up quote.

My made-up quote was what I see as the desired result of this climate of fear. If enough people are frightened all the time, they won't mind giving up more rights. I really do think that this is the ultimate goal of this administration.

Wait, I'll do it for you:

Liberal! Paranoid!

martha said:

I really do think that this is the ultimate goal of this administration.

I have many friends and relatives who believe the same. I guess it kind of makes me wonder why we see it differently. I do not see it that way (obviously).

martha said:

Wait, I'll do it for you:

Liberal! Paranoid!

Where it proudly:sexywink:

Paranoid......Well we have something in common :lol:

Back
Top Bottom